Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, January 30th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jan 30 2013, 06:08 AM (5,880 Views)
Pookie
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 30 2013, 07:37 PM
I've asked this before, and no one answered, but...is "gay boy" a slur? I mean the way he said it was pretty dismissive and condescending, but is that term actually a slur?
I dunno. Don't think so. Sounds more condescending to me than a common slur.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

lysie
I've asked this before, and no one answered, but...is "gay boy" a slur? I mean the way he said it was pretty dismissive and condescending, but is that term actually a slur?
I guess it would be considered a slur, but I don't think anyone would truly be that offended by it. All Nick is doing is stating the obvious when he's calling Will "gay boy." When Will or Gabi hears Nick say it, they act so offended. "Faggot" should be used instead if they want to use those reactions.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Jan 30 2013, 06:42 PM
"Ewe search" :sheep:
:lol: i laughed at that too; took me a little while to realize they were making a bad pun or whatever you call it.

Will&Sonny

lysie
In this case? Absolutely. Anything can be used as a slur -- it's all about context.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slur

1slur
noun \ˈslər\
Definition of SLUR
a : an insulting or disparaging remark or innuendo : aspersion

A phrase does not have to be on record as a well-known "slur" in order to qualify as one. Yes, technically, Will is gay and he is a boy, hence, he is a gay boy, but Nick is clearly stating this in a disparaging manner. We know this based not only on his tone, but also on his own admission that he believes that being gay is wrong. He's not stating a fact, he's being derogatory and contemptuous.

I'm not sure why they didn't just stick with the more obvious slur "fairy", which T has used on at least one occasion, if they were unwilling to use "faggot", but in any case, when Nick says "gay boy", it definitely qualifies as a gay slur.

blueskies
Member Avatar

pretty good eppi all in all, but Kristen ran outta that room like a shot as soon as she was confronted! I can't say I completely understand why. I mean, I realize it was a way to allow Nicole to get out of the room, but I have to admit I almost would have rather Nicole been found out. Or she should have hidden in a closet until they did it and left later. I would have preferred that. Kristen could have left first, then Brady could see her computer & go off to find her & confront her. THEN Nicole could get out of the closet.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I actually felt bad when Kate and Billie had their goodbye scene. Like, I wish she wasn't leaving. I sorta like the characters that only show up once every month.

cord08

DrewHamilton
Jan 30 2013, 07:28 PM
LonePirate
Jan 30 2013, 07:21 PM
The network censors must have stepped in again and stopped Nick from dropping the f bomb when he was insulting Will today. I could have sworn I heard the word used on prime time within the past month or two so I wonder why Days is operating under a different set of rules.
OLTL used the word "faggot" a few years ago. I don't know why DAYS is afraid to go there. I think it would make things a lot more impacting. Hearing Nick refer to Will as "gay boy" really makes Nick look childish and lame.
ATWT also used the word "faggot" very explicitly during Luke's coming out story. I don't think it's necessarily a network/FCC censored word. It might just be a conscious choice by Days, who has been very careful with most of their writing for Will and Sonny's story. I agree that "gay boy" sounds very childish, though.

Tammy
Member Avatar

How stupid do tptb think we are? Like no one is going to pick up on the fact that Marlena, Hope and Jennifer ALL have the same office!!!! :blink:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm just glad they have offices. I don't care if they're the same. As long as different pictures are thrown up, change the decorating a little bit. That works for me.

AFaithL

Tammy
Jan 30 2013, 08:18 PM
How stupid do tptb think we are? Like no one is going to pick up on the fact that Marlena, Hope and Jennifer ALL have the same office!!!! :blink:
Ok, I never thought I would say this...but the Marlena/Kristen scenes are getting repetitive. Its going nowhere. Why is Marlena not saying anything back? Nothing Kristen said to her was true. The Marlena of old would have set the record straight on Kristen's lies. More backbone in these confrontations, please. Marlena needs to call Kristen out when she starts assassinating her character like she did.

Nick is becoming more and more of a controlling douchebag.

I liked the Hope/Rafe scene.

I love, love, love Nicole. And Eric's gotta stop being so judgmental of her. If he wants to be with her, he's gotta man-up and accept Nicole for who she is: the good, bad, and ugly. Love her unconditionally, Eric, or don't love her at all.

I still don't get John leaving town. So stupid. John would never do that to Marlena. Plus, he's made his own share of mistakes, which he needs to own up to. I want "heroic" John back.

Will, get a haircut.

Tammy
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 30 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm just glad they have offices. I don't care if they're the same. As long as different pictures are thrown up, change the decorating a little bit. That works for me.
I would rather have people with homes lol.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Tammy
Jan 30 2013, 08:55 PM
DrewHamilton
Jan 30 2013, 08:32 PM
I would rather have people with homes lol.
And when everyone had homes, people were complaining about no one being shown in their office, LOL. It's a never winning game.

annie21

Winterfaire
Jan 30 2013, 05:35 PM
NocturnalBlondie
Jan 30 2013, 12:52 PM
After watching today's show, I'm fairly certain the secret affair will be Rafe and Hope. He asked her about Bo, but a call from Gabi interrupted it. When he hung up, Hope stormed off, said she had to pick up Ciara. She sighed from the other side of the door, as if she was happy to evade his questions. There's definitely something going on.
I've suggested this elsewhere and was trampled. *laughs. But it was this spoiler a couple weeks back that brought me to this exact conclusion! They said it would be "least expected." And Hope fits that description.
Yes, but wasn't there a reference to both persons being single? And wasn't there another reference somewhere that this hookup would have the audience more scratching their heads than being upset? I can't imagine that Bope/Hope fans would be okay with her having a drunken ONS with Rafe while Bo is out of town.

Will&Sonny

I really can't believe that anyone is even considering the possibility of Hope cheating on Bo while they're still technically together, but that's just me. :shrug:

At this point, I'm going with Rafe and Kate. I'm also going with, "Speculating about this spoiler has been far more interesting than what will likely transpire on-screen." I don't have a problem with Rafe, but he still seems like a boring choice for the male half of this equation, IMO.

Also, for reference, the original spoiler was: "[T]wo single Salemites catch each other's eye(s) and find themselves engaged in a steamy, secret affair that's sure to have fans buzzing. Who are the secret lovers? Stay tuned!"
Edited by Will&Sonny, Jan 30 2013, 09:21 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I don't think "gay boy" in and of itself would be a slur, but the tone is definitely condescending and demeaning. Kinda like Stefano calling someone "A Brrrrady!" Well, yes, they might very well be a Brady, but Stefano's tone & usage makes it very clear that he's meaning that as a bad thing.

If that makes any sense.

concerned
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Tammy
Jan 30 2013, 08:18 PM
Ok, I never thought I would say this...but the Marlena/Kristen scenes are getting repetitive. Its going nowhere. Why is Marlena not saying anything back? Nothing Kristen said to her was true. The Marlena of old would have set the record straight on Kristen's lies. More backbone in these confrontations, please. Marlena needs to call Kristen out when she starts assassinating her character like she did.

Nick is becoming more and more of a controlling douchebag.

I liked the Hope/Rafe scene.

I love, love, love Nicole. And Eric's gotta stop being so judgmental of her. If he wants to be with her, he's gotta man-up and accept Nicole for who she is: the good, bad, and ugly. Love her unconditionally, Eric, or don't love her at all.

I still don't get John leaving town. So stupid. John would never do that to Marlena. Plus, he's made his own share of mistakes, which he needs to own up to. I want "heroic" John back.

Will, get a haircut.

I've come to the conclusion Eric's always been dull. (after much research and watching shower scenes that failed to impress) They just hope his hotness distracts us from his dullness. It doesnt.

elci525
Member Avatar

Matt
Jan 30 2013, 09:23 PM
I don't think "gay boy" in and of itself would be a slur, but the tone is definitely condescending and demeaning. Kinda like Stefano calling someone "A Brrrrady!" Well, yes, they might very well be a Brady, but Stefano's tone & usage makes it very clear that he's meaning that as a bad thing.

If that makes any sense.
I agree with this - Nick's tone of use and context are what make "gay boy" sound very offensive. And I suppose Will is a gay boy factually. But I am trying to imagine Nick not saying it in a douchey way. Like if he were happily greeting Will into a room and said, "Hey look, here is the gay boy" (sincerely, not sarcastically) or if upon finding Will had officially come out saying, "I am proud that you were able to come out as a gay boy to your family." But I guess that is still a context. Something about the word "boy" I think is what irks me most, I think - that somehow Will is less than a man or something. I dunno. It just really bothers me and is now becoming a Nick trademark.
Edited by elci525, Jan 30 2013, 09:33 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL

He's not trying to be with her or love her. That's not even remotely the story.

AFaithL

lysie
Jan 30 2013, 09:55 PM
AFaithL

You're right. He's trying to judge her. That's even worse.

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Jan 30 2013, 10:26 PM
lysie
Jan 30 2013, 09:55 PM
AFaithL

You're right. He's trying to judge her. That's even worse.
I think it's getting old, but people are allowed to get angry at other people for doing things that are wrong.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply