Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Michael Fairman interviews Blake Berris
Topic Started: Jan 30 2013, 10:03 PM (1,798 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar

Does this need its own topic? Whatever!

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/days-of-our-lives/the-blake-berris-interview-days-of-our-lives/2013/01/30/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

johnwalterseip
Member Avatar

So excited

michr544125

Great interview. I'm not so sure Nick was raped or anything like that but instead he just changed being prison because of his surroundings...especially with Blake saying he wasn't sure how much they'd delve into what happened to him in prison. Sounds like something might happen to Sonny and/or Will thanks to Nick. With Sonny onto him, I can see something happening to Sonny because Nick would want to rid him of the situation.

I do like what Blake said about how Nick is almost representing the people in society that still have issues with Will and Sonny relationships and totally against them raising a child together. There was no way they'd allow Will and Sonny to be treated like any other couple without somebody truly representing the "other" side. And to me I'm fine with that because it is very true to life how Nick is acting.
Edited by michr544125, Jan 30 2013, 11:00 PM.

supercool74
Member Avatar

I'm also excited! Love what he said about Sonny being onto him. I so want Sonny to kick his ass! Or Will...but I can see Sonny wanting to because of how he manipulated Will's situation. Sounds like my boys will be on the same team again very soon. :wub2: oh, and I really like BB. I think he's pretty hot too!
Edited by supercool74, Jan 30 2013, 10:46 PM.

Will&Sonny

michr544125
Jan 30 2013, 10:42 PM
Great interview. I'm not so sure Nick was raped or anything like that but instead he just changed being prison because of his surroundings...especially with Blake saying he wasn't sure how much they'd delve into what happened to him in prison. Sounds like something might happen to Sonny and/or Will thanks to Nick.
Yeah, I'm still not convinced about the rape theories, either. In any case, I completely disagree with any suggestions that being raped in prison makes it okay to be a homophobe, so if the writers do go down that road, I hope that they don't expect that to instantly redeem Nick, because it won't. Not even remotely.

As for the interview...eh. It felt kind of repetitive to me, like Michael Fairman was asking some of the same questions multiple times, in slightly different ways, to try to get different answers out of Blake Berris. I do like that Blake acknowledged what I've said all along -- that Nick was originally a man of science who would not have been homophobic.

Frankly, I'll just be happy when Nick's gone. Or, at the very least, when everyone in Salem knows exactly who and what he really is.

specialcases
Member Avatar
your own "personal" Jesus

I like how he totally avoided answering how it was to work with Camila Banus, lol

guessgirl
Member Avatar

specialcases
Jan 30 2013, 11:24 PM
I like how he totally avoided answering how it was to work with Camila Banus, lol
And he as done several interviews and said he loves working with her and how funny she is. Even tweeting her how great she was. So this one interview he didn't say something specifically it doesn't mean anything.
Edited by guessgirl, Jan 30 2013, 11:32 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

As a huge Blake/Nick fan I've been so frustrated putting him in this story. But I find I still watch no matter what.

I'm so happy to read Blake was not happy at first hearing about what they planned for Nick. So often actors will say, "I was so excited hearing what they had in store..." and I just couldn't imagine him being happy to find that about his character.

That said, I do hope they plan on "redeeming" him on his homophobic issues. Living in the south, I see bigotry in all forms but sometimes I see people overcome their prejudices (someone in my family recently went through this) and TV shows will redeem rapists, murderers, etc. I'd love to see where someone comes to terms with their bigotry and I know Blake can play that part.

Also I'm sad to hear that people believe he and Nick Fallon are the same person, giving him a hard time on twitter. He actually sent a tweet out when the storyline first started.
Edited by Tripp, Jan 30 2013, 11:40 PM.

annie21

TFP.

This quote stood out to me: "From talking to directors and producers, they have talking to me saying, 'We have not had a character on here that has been smart.'"

I realize that those producers and directors may not have been with the show that long, but a more accurate statement would be that any characters who were smart have either been written off the show or have been dumbed down to serve the plot.

It's one of the biggest laments I have about this show.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I think Nick probably really is the smartest character the show has had in a very long time, maybe ever. I mean I'm not going to include Dr. Rolf or people like that, but as far as being as smart as Nick I can only think of maybe Eugene. There aren't many options.

This isn't the same as being smart like Jack, Shane, etc. Different type of smarts.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Quote:

That said, I do hope they plan on "redeeming" him on his homophobic issues. Living in the south, I see bigotry in all forms but sometimes I see people overcome their prejudices (someone in my family recently went through this) and TV shows will redeem rapists, murderers, etc. I'd love to see where someone comes to terms with their bigotry and I know Blake can play that part.

I agree...although I don't mind if it takes a long time. I've been saying that there is something in Nick's makeup that reminds me of Jack Deveraux before the rape. He has some excellent motivations, but some major blind spots.

It's nice to see a complex portrayal of bigotry. It can be pernicious and hidden behind niceties, it's not always the cartoon sometimes shown. I really think BB is accomplishing something in his performance because of that.

PatNS
Member Avatar

Really enjoyed reading this interview. Heck, IMO, Nick is one of the most interesting, if not the most interesting character on Days right now and that's all due to Blake Ferris's immense talent. He's very good at what he does. I may not like Nick but I'm a true fan of Blake's!

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting the article. I really do love the way Blake is playing Nick. I've been watching some old clips that include Jack in the post-rape/post Billy reveal days. Nick reminds me a lot of Jack. He's not as openly hostile, but the way Jack manipulates Melissa is very similar to the way Nick manipulates Gabi -- the biggest difference being that Jack didn't love Melissa and Nick does love Gabi. But there are similarities. There are also similarities in that both guys have enough underlying vulnerability, that you can't just dismiss them as bad guys. There is something in there that makes you want to understand them, makes you want to believe they can be better.

I'm very hopeful that they give Nick a chance at redemption someday. But even if they don't, I do love the layers he brings to the character.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

I think Blake is a phenomenal actor. He's probably one of the best in the younger crew....he plays nerdy lovable tech guy as well as he plays homophobic misunderstood asshole.....that is what makes an actor truly great...that they can do good and bad equally well.....

jaygal
Member Avatar

Tripp
Jan 30 2013, 11:37 PM
Also I'm sad to hear that people believe he and Nick Fallon are the same person, giving him a hard time on twitter. He actually sent a tweet out when the storyline first started.
There's a lot about this Nick situation that bothers me, but people confusing the actor and the character really get's on my nerves.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

I can't believe that this storyline is just sitting there, in front of them and they're not doing it, first thing. Honestly, Jessica suffered from DID, Nick has all this shit that happened in the past, how are they not jumping over dead bodies to tell this storyline? Nick should be diagnosed, they even have the character who helped his mother through it (Marlena, - sidenote: Deidre Hall adores Blake Berris), and then they can TELL the story. Not rush through it, or say it and the next week it's gone. If they're committed to Nick/Gabi as a couple, then this would be a lovely storyline to tell (I'd prefer it was Nick/Chelsea because I love them, but whatever) for any young soap couple. It's rooted in reality, and Blake is certainly more than capable of carrying that sort of a storyline. I'd dare say that Blake is the best young actor they have on the show (although they're certainly lucky to have both Massey and Berris on a show that I'm not so sure deserves them).

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 31 2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for posting the article. I really do love the way Blake is playing Nick. I've been watching some old clips that include Jack in the post-rape/post Billy reveal days. Nick reminds me a lot of Jack. He's not as openly hostile, but the way Jack manipulates Melissa is very similar to the way Nick manipulates Gabi -- the biggest difference being that Jack didn't love Melissa and Nick does love Gabi. But there are similarities. There are also similarities in that both guys have enough underlying vulnerability, that you can't just dismiss them as bad guys. There is something in there that makes you want to understand them, makes you want to believe they can be better.

I'm very hopeful that they give Nick a chance at redemption someday. But even if they don't, I do love the layers he brings to the character.
And, like Matt Ashford, Blake is capable of playing those nuances, I think.

Will&Sonny

esp13
Nick reminds me a lot of Jack. He's not as openly hostile, but the way Jack manipulates Melissa is very similar to the way Nick manipulates Gabi -- the biggest difference being that Jack didn't love Melissa and Nick does love Gabi.
Does he? I'm not convinced that he cares about Gabi or the baby, personally. He's obsessed with them, but that's not the same as loving them.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I thought for sure they were going with the DID story when Nick flipped out the last time. I was very disappointed when they didn't.

esp13
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Jan 31 2013, 01:22 PM
esp13
Nick reminds me a lot of Jack. He's not as openly hostile, but the way Jack manipulates Melissa is very similar to the way Nick manipulates Gabi -- the biggest difference being that Jack didn't love Melissa and Nick does love Gabi.
Does he? I'm not convinced that he cares about Gabi or the baby, personally. He's obsessed with them, but that's not the same as loving them.
Nothing worse than having an entire post eaten. So, for the second time:

Yes, I believe that Nick loves Gabi. I also believed that Jack loved Kayla but that didn't stop him from being obsessive and, ultimately, violent. But I believed Jack loved her, or at least believed that he did which is fundamentally the same for purposes of this conversation. Whether someone else would define it as love is irrelevant it is what Jack believed and it is what I believe that Nick believes he feels for Gabi.

I know people will say that it can't be love and that's fine, everybody is entitled to an opinion. But I don't believe that love is always some pure perfection. I think love, like all emotions, can have light and dark sides. It can make you faster, stronger, more whole. It can also make you hurt like nothing else and it can drive insecurities and obsession.

So yes, I believe Nick loves Gabi. Whether that is ultimately a good thing or bad thing remains to be seen.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply