Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday, February 1st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 1 2013, 07:34 AM (13,441 Views)
AHM

bomber
Feb 2 2013, 04:28 PM
AHM
Feb 2 2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, TomSawyer and SoapGal. And I do see what you're saying. I wonder about the audience attention span thing, and I guess I don't know the answer. I would say if you want long term viewers for a long term show that's on a five days per week format, tell long term stories and tell them well, but maybe the evidence TPTB find doesn't match up with that. But this Ejami hookup and the general happiness it seems to have created among those who like EJ/Sami has me wondering something. Okay, so Jack and Jennifer are my "it" couple. This last time around, they also got the slap together treatment, when there was so much crap that I thought they needed to get through first. Basically, I felt like there was a really good story there, and it was skipped. So I was mad. I wasn't thrilled with Jack and Jennifer's hook up at all. That seemed to me the general feeling among those who love Jack and Jennifer. At least on paper, it looks to me like a similar hook up has occurred with EJami, yet EJ/Sami lovers seem to be generally pleased with it. So there's a difference here, but what is it? Is it that I knew that Jack and Jennifer's insta-reconciliation would either lead to them being written off together (best case scenario) or to Jack being killed off again so that Jennifer could be tried with yet another himbo (worst case), while we all know EJ/Sami are most likely going to continue to get screen time? Is it because Jack and Jennifer didn't even get a love scene, but EJ and Sami will most likely be rolling around for a couple of episodes? Because I don't think the EJ/Sami hookup was handled any more believably than Jack and Jennifer's, and I think in both cases, a good story was passed over. And what I really hate is being deprived of a good story, when it's sitting right there for anyone with any degree of competence as a writer to capitalize on. I suppose at least the EJ/Sami scenes are getting some serious focus and are much better than what Jack and Jennifer got (also, Rafe seems to have been deposed more thoroughly than Dan was), even if a lot of stuff that shouldn't have been (in my opinion) was skipped with EJ/Sami too. Anyway, the difference is interesting to me.
Personally I felt the J&J reconciliation was bad because it came out of nowhere and I was at the point where I wanted Jack away from Jen or, at least, to see her show him some support before they hooked-up. The subsequent on-screen banishment was salt in the wound. As you say, theirs was a story never told. Ejami is different - and I say this as someone who is ambivalent - I don't love them but I dont dislike them either. I do believe many Ejami fans are younger than J&J fans and don't need the long build-ups that used to be compulsory. They also know that their couple is going to continue to be centre stage for the forseeable future (or at least until after sweeps). I think you are right in saying that the hook-up came first and some angst will follow, probably peppered with some good love scenes, so the fans know they have some good soap to look forward to. Ejami aren't a traditional supercouple because of their history (rape, shootings etc.) but they are still obviously the majority of fans choice so they deserve to be explored. Whether it will be long-term I have doubts. I honestly believe that Dannifer is Tomlin's only long-term couple choice (and it is interesting that they are the only couple getting the "traditional supercouple" treatment of angst before sex) but Ejami are getting their turn in the sun so they may as well make the most of it and, if TPTB are monitoring feedback, they might just make it but as a J&J fan, be careful what you wish for.
You make some good points as to this latest JnJ hook up compared to Ejami's. But have Dannifer ever had angst? I guess angst just isn't what it used to be. Is a delusional woman sometimes saying stuff to one or the other of them angst? There's never been any actual push and pull between the two of them---it was a date or two, sex, and "I love you" then it was Jack dies, "I love you"---where's the angst? The third party's always been more the story than they have. The handling of Dannifer really doesn't seem to me what the supercouple formula was (my familiarity with the "supercouple" formula being mainly Steve and Kayla and Jack and Jennifer). Dang, I'm 35, but this show makes me feel ancient with all of my wishing for the way Days used to be. Oh, I miss the lovely angst, and for me, Ejami has failed to deliver it, and I don't think they really can now, not that wonderful "will they/won't they?" kind of angst, not after already jumping to where they are now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Lumi_are_true_love
Feb 2 2013, 04:42 PM
I guess I don't agree with you Soap gal I respect your opinion and everyoneelse opinon too but I just don't agree but I do see it happening as I described and I will be happy to see this story take on a new direction for once and take on a new directions its never taken before for Lucas and Sami once more one thats in Lucas and Sami's favor where Lucas and Sami will be reunited once more this time for good given more love and romance then before and Sami will seek out Lucas out that I'm sure of you can't stop Sami and Lucas and can't stop true love and can't stop whats meant to be for true love will prevail and will win out once more and do just that between Lucas and Sami.
I'm really not sure where we agree....or disagree.

But, differing opinions are what makes the world go round.

And makes for interesting reading.

concerned
Member Avatar

AHM
Feb 2 2013, 04:35 PM
tomsawyer
Feb 2 2013, 04:18 PM
AHM
Thanks for the responses, TomSawyer and SoapGal. And I do see what you're saying. I wonder about the audience attention span thing, and I guess I don't know the answer. I would say if you want long term viewers for a long term show that's on a five days per week format, tell long term stories and tell them well, but maybe the evidence TPTB find doesn't match up with that. But this Ejami hookup and the general happiness it seems to have created among those who like EJ/Sami has me wondering something. Okay, so Jack and Jennifer are my "it" couple. This last time around, they also got the slap together treatment, when there was so much crap that I thought they needed to get through first. Basically, I felt like there was a really good story there, and it was skipped. So I was mad. I wasn't thrilled with Jack and Jennifer's hook up at all. That seemed to me the general feeling among those who love Jack and Jennifer. At least on paper, it looks to me like a similar hook up has occurred with EJami, yet EJ/Sami lovers seem to be generally pleased with it. So there's a difference here, but what is it? Is it that I knew that Jack and Jennifer's insta-reconciliation would either lead to them being written off together (best case scenario) or to Jack being killed off again so that Jennifer could be tried with yet another himbo (worst case), while we all know EJ/Sami are most likely going to continue to get screen time? Is it because Jack and Jennifer didn't even get a love scene, but EJ and Sami will most likely be rolling around for a couple of episodes? Because I don't think the EJ/Sami hookup was handled any more believably than Jack and Jennifer's, and I think in both cases, a good story was passed over. And what I really hate is being deprived of a good story, when it's sitting right there for anyone with any degree of competence as a writer to capitalize on. I suppose at least the EJ/Sami scenes are getting some serious focus and are much better than what Jack and Jennifer got (also, Rafe seems to have been deposed more thoroughly than Dan was), even if a lot of stuff that shouldn't have been (in my opinion) was skipped with EJ/Sami too. Anyway, the difference is interesting to me.
I think the difference is that this is the FIRST TIME that Ejami has been shown as mutually in love and committed to each other, and it's been over 6 1/2 years of waiting for this moment. This week, we got Sami saying she thinks they belong together. And then next week, they are going to have sex and both be happy after it. And also next week, she is finally going to say that she loves him and actually mean it. These are all firsts for Ejami which I think makes these moments inherently more exciting, even if the set up for these moments wasn't written perfectly.
Yeah, I can see that. Still a missed opportunity, I think. And not enough to get me invested in Ejami again, because though it was 6 1/2 years, a lot of it wasn't waiting. A lot of it was nothing. A lot of it was spent ruining anything that hooked me in the first place. But clearly, it's enough for a lot of people, so cheers to those who have hung on with Ejami. Enjoy and take what you can get from this show, I guess. At this point, for me it's become more of an interest in a unique and changing genre. Because I think the show itself is boring as all get out. because it doesn't make me care about the characters anymore, and it doesn't get me invested in their relationships.

Concerned, as to EJ meeting his demise . . . maybe . . . but I doubt it. It'd be a major game changer for this show though, as it has relied so heavily on EJ and Sami (not always together though) for years now.
Game changes happen (ask Bo).

I think they have been grooming Daniel and Rafe for quite a while to take over as male lead (in fact I feel as if they are already nearly there in terms of storyline time). There are a lot of male actors in the JS age range on the canvas and if things start to heat up with Eric and Brady they are moving in to take a bigger slice of the pie. So they already have the back up team in place and ready to take over.

Once EJ and Sami are together I'm not sure where they can go with the two of them, EJ always seems to revolve solely around Sami whenever they are together, and I can't imagine JS is interested in playing it that way for too long.
I am really struggling to think of potential storylines with EJ and Sami other than EJ following Sami around and putting out her fires. The two of them working together on major cosmetic company dramas would just be excruciating.
Once the Wabi storyline is resolved (which again is a story that focuses on Sami and EJ is just a support player) there isn't much out there.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

concerned
Feb 2 2013, 04:51 PM
AHM
tomsawyer
AHM
I think the difference is that this is the FIRST TIME that Ejami has been shown as mutually in love and committed to each other, and it's been over 6 1/2 years of waiting for this moment. This week, we got Sami saying she thinks they belong together. And then next week, they are going to have sex and both be happy after it. And also next week, she is finally going to say that she loves him and actually mean it. These are all firsts for Ejami which I think makes these moments inherently more exciting, even if the set up for these moments wasn't written perfectly.
Yeah, I can see that. Still a missed opportunity, I think. And not enough to get me invested in Ejami again, because though it was 6 1/2 years, a lot of it wasn't waiting. A lot of it was nothing. A lot of it was spent ruining anything that hooked me in the first place. But clearly, it's enough for a lot of people, so cheers to those who have hung on with Ejami. Enjoy and take what you can get from this show, I guess. At this point, for me it's become more of an interest in a unique and changing genre. Because I think the show itself is boring as all get out. because it doesn't make me care about the characters anymore, and it doesn't get me invested in their relationships.

Concerned, as to EJ meeting his demise . . . maybe . . . but I doubt it. It'd be a major game changer for this show though, as it has relied so heavily on EJ and Sami (not always together though) for years now.

I think they have been grooming Daniel and Rafe for quite a while to take over as male lead (in fact I feel as if they are already nearly there in terms of storyline time). There are a lot of male actors in the JS age range on the canvas and if things start to heat up with Eric and Brady they are moving in to take a bigger slice of the pie. So they already have the back up team in place and ready to take over.

Once EJ and Sami are together I'm not sure where they can go with the two of them, EJ always seems to revolve solely around Sami whenever they are together, and I can't imagine JS is interested in playing it that way for too long.
I am really struggling to think of potential storylines with EJ and Sami other than EJ following Sami around and putting out her fires. The two of them working together on major cosmetic company dramas would just be excruciating.
Once the Wabi storyline is resolved (which again is a story that focuses on Sami and EJ is just a support player) there isn't much out there.
I think Stefano & Kristen will be obstacles.

Possibly Marlena & John.

AHM

^Maybe, but that just doesn't sound very interesting to me. Inner obstacles are the best.

Lumi_are_true_love

With me I was just disagreeing with you when you said Sami wouldn't seek out Lucas and wouldn't eventually seek out Lucas again and come on to Lucas again and wouldn't want to be with Lucas again I feel she will do just and thats what I disagreeed with you about and again I love and respect everyone here at DR even yours for we are all entited to different opinions even if we don't all agree as well.

So I just wanted to say that was the point I was disagreeing with you about when you said Nah Sami would never go after Lucas again or come on to Lucas again and not want to be with Lucas again and wouldn't reunite with Lucas or wouldn't want to be with Lucas again for I think she does want to be with Lucas again and do think she will get together with and will seek him out and want to get involved with Lucas again. I love you and all the member and the mangers here at this side and I just wanted to let you guys know that even though we may not always agree and will always have differing opinions.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Finally watching the whole show....

Brison hook-up was all kinds of sexy and Brian is hot/shady - perfect interloper! It's really making me root for WilSon in a way I haven't before which is what a good triangle should do.

Dannifer has anti-chemistry. Whatever cuteness they once had going for them pales in comparison to the Danloe scenes. Ugh, why is GT obviously so invested in this lame pairing?

The Rope scenes cracked me up. Hope's certainty that Sami loves Rafe and Rafe's certaintyj that Sami has no heart was a great contrast to the sweet Ejami scenes.

Ejami kisses were hot and bumbling Everett was adorable. Best line: "Nothing good ever happens at this point when there's a knock on the door." :biggrin:

Ugh Maggie, please shut up.

concerned
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Feb 2 2013, 04:54 PM
concerned
Feb 2 2013, 04:51 PM
AHM
tomsawyer

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I think Stefano & Kristen will be obstacles.

Possibly Marlena & John.
Stefano's an old man who's been dialing it in for a while - I don't see what Nonno's going to do about it unless he brings back a new heir apparent.
Kristen's supportive of the EJami alliance - its in her best interest for them to be together.

Marlena's never going to care about Sami while she has a John crisis on her hands.

bomber
Member Avatar

AHM
Feb 2 2013, 04:48 PM
bomber
AHM
Personally I felt the J&J reconciliation was bad because it came out of nowhere and I was at the point where I wanted Jack away from Jen or, at least, to see her show him some support before they hooked-up. The subsequent on-screen banishment was salt in the wound. As you say, theirs was a story never told. Ejami is different - and I say this as someone who is ambivalent - I don't love them but I dont dislike them either. I do believe many Ejami fans are younger than J&J fans and don't need the long build-ups that used to be compulsory. They also know that their couple is going to continue to be centre stage for the forseeable future (or at least until after sweeps). I think you are right in saying that the hook-up came first and some angst will follow, probably peppered with some good love scenes, so the fans know they have some good soap to look forward to. Ejami aren't a traditional supercouple because of their history (rape, shootings etc.) but they are still obviously the majority of fans choice so they deserve to be explored. Whether it will be long-term I have doubts. I honestly believe that Dannifer is Tomlin's only long-term couple choice (and it is interesting that they are the only couple getting the "traditional supercouple" treatment of angst before sex) but Ejami are getting their turn in the sun so they may as well make the most of it and, if TPTB are monitoring feedback, they might just make it but as a J&J fan, be careful what you wish for.
You make some good points as to this latest JnJ hook up compared to Ejami's. But have Dannifer ever had angst? I guess angst just isn't what it used to be. Is a delusional woman sometimes saying stuff to one or the other of them angst? There's never been any actual push and pull between the two of them---it was a date or two, sex, and "I love you" then it was Jack dies, "I love you"---where's the angst? The third party's always been more the story than they have. The handling of Dannifer really doesn't seem to me what the supercouple formula was (my familiarity with the "supercouple" formula being mainly Steve and Kayla and Jack and Jennifer). Dang, I'm 35, but this show makes me feel ancient with all of my wishing for the way Days used to be. Oh, I miss the lovely angst, and for me, Ejami has failed to deliver it, and I don't think they really can now, not that wonderful "will they/won't they?" kind of angst, not after already jumping to where they are now.
The writers are only paying lip service to the Dannifer "angst" (and it's excruciatingly bad - with fans rooting for both interlopers) but they are adhering to the traditional formula, albeit a very watered down version. The phone call interruption on Friday being a perfect example. The other current couples - Ejami, WilSon, Bristen and Nabi have all had the sex first and the angst to follow.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Lumi_are_true_love
Feb 2 2013, 04:57 PM
With me I was just disagreeing with you when you said Sami wouldn't seek out Lucas and wouldn't eventually seek out Lucas again and come on to Lucas again and wouldn't want to be with Lucas again I feel she will do just and thats what I disagreeed with you about and again I love and respect everyone here at DR even yours for we are all entited to different opinions even if we don't all agree as well.

So I just wanted to say that was the point I was disagreeing with you about when you said Nah Sami would never go after Lucas again or come on to Lucas again and not want to be with Lucas again and wouldn't reunite with Lucas or wouldn't want to be with Lucas again for I think she does want to be with Lucas again and do think she will get together with and will seek him out and want to get involved with Lucas again. I love you and all the member and the mangers here at this side and I just wanted to let you guys know that even though we may not always agree and will always have differing opinions.
Alrighty.

:cheers:

AHM

bomber
Feb 2 2013, 05:03 PM
AHM
Feb 2 2013, 04:48 PM
bomber
AHM
The writers are only paying lip service to the Dannifer "angst" (and it's excruciatingly bad - with fans rooting for both interlopers) but they are adhering to the traditional formula, albeit a very watered down version. The phone call interruption on Friday being a perfect example. The other current couples - Ejami, WilSon, Bristen and Nabi have all had the sex first and the angst to follow.
I guess. But Dannifer 1.0 had sex with zero angst preceding it. And this time around they've already declared the "I love yous," which is at least going as far (maybe further) than sex, even if you do count the sex interruption and the efforts of Nicole and Chloe as some sorry excuse for angst.

restless daze
Member Avatar
Now don't come whoopin' my ass at the grocery store cause I picked on your fav on here!

OK- I was tuned out for quite a while and have missed out on the snark on here. I know Everett is EJ- but whats the meaning behind it. I'm sure it's great!

Someone please clue me in!!!!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

restless daze
Feb 2 2013, 05:47 PM
OK- I was tuned out for quite a while and have missed out on the snark on here. I know Everett is EJ- but whats the meaning behind it. I'm sure it's great!

Someone please clue me in!!!!
Everett is when EJ acts like a Hugh Grant-esque, mumbling, charming rom-com protagonist, rather than a sweevil badass.
Edited by Honeybees, Feb 2 2013, 05:59 PM.

six
Member Avatar

elci525
Feb 2 2013, 02:39 PM
AidanGreensFan
Feb 2 2013, 11:48 AM
elci525
Feb 2 2013, 11:35 AM
I think Jennifer looks miserable most of the time. But it's really her hair that bugs me - the color. Looks so ashen and anemic. She is pale enough - I don't need her hair to add to that effect. It also makes her look so much older - and, like, brittle somehow. If anyone bts has been trying to dedullify Jenn, well, mission failed.
Isn't she letting her hair go grey? That is what it looks like to me.
Sure - ok. Hence why she looks old and slightly brittle I guess. In any other woman, fictional or not, I would be cheering on the decision to embrace ones natural graying hair - that can be empowering. But not so in Jennifer. Booooo.
I think Jennifer could pull off grey hair, but imo, the problem is that it looks so dry and limp sometimes. It makes me want to buy her some conditioner and give her a hot oil treatment.

concerned
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Feb 2 2013, 04:58 PM
. Best line: "Nothing good ever happens at this point when there's a knock on the door." :biggrin:

That was the line of the day ... and a very valid point.

At least no one got shot this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X5nuslCHSOk&feature=endscreen

Edited by concerned, Feb 2 2013, 06:16 PM.

camera shy

concerned
Feb 2 2013, 06:15 PM
tomsawyer
. Best line: "Nothing good ever happens at this point when there's a knock on the door." :biggrin:

That was the line of the day ... and a very valid point.

At least no one got shot this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X5nuslCHSOk&feature=endscreen

Ha, thanks for the laugh and the great sex scene. I guess people knocking on doors interrupting couples are standard procedures on soaps. I understand there's one with Lumi about to get it on with EJ banging on the door.

elci525
Member Avatar

six
Feb 2 2013, 06:00 PM
elci525
Feb 2 2013, 02:39 PM
AidanGreensFan
Feb 2 2013, 11:48 AM
elci525
Feb 2 2013, 11:35 AM
I think Jennifer looks miserable most of the time. But it's really her hair that bugs me - the color. Looks so ashen and anemic. She is pale enough - I don't need her hair to add to that effect. It also makes her look so much older - and, like, brittle somehow. If anyone bts has been trying to dedullify Jenn, well, mission failed.
Isn't she letting her hair go grey? That is what it looks like to me.
Sure - ok. Hence why she looks old and slightly brittle I guess. In any other woman, fictional or not, I would be cheering on the decision to embrace ones natural graying hair - that can be empowering. But not so in Jennifer. Booooo.
I think Jennifer could pull off grey hair, but imo, the problem is that it looks so dry and limp sometimes. It makes me want to buy her some conditioner and give her a hot oil treatment.
She could maaaaaayybeee pull off gray. But I totally agree that she needs deep conditioning STAT. Her hair totally looks dry - like straw. That is exactly what I feel when I look at it - that it's straw, but like desert-straw. Material of tumbleweeds.

Just get a conditioner, size of dime, leave it in, rinse, you're done.
Edited by elci525, Feb 2 2013, 06:44 PM.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

concerned
Marlena's never going to care about Sami while she has a John crisis on her hands.
If she's in character, she absolutely will. Caring about one doesn't exclude caring about the other.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Can I just say how much I love Justin? Again. I loved that he found a legal way to warn Will about Nick, without compromising his job. It's perfectly reasonable for a lawyer to advise Will to get a custody lawyer, and Justin seems to care deeply about Will (and even ship Wilson) and though he can't tell Will what Nick said, he did the best he could.

Justin is a sexy, sexy man.
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

Isn't there a thread for fanfic?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply