Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About.com comings & goings 2/5
Topic Started: Feb 5 2013, 12:48 PM (3,082 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Miss Rhi
Feb 6 2013, 01:20 AM
He resembles Lou. Better looking though!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

BradyB
Feb 5 2013, 10:38 PM
Wonder why u would need flashbacks of will as a kid? Cant they use old clips?
Why are the writers going to all of this trouble instead of simply using old clips? Two reasons (disclaimer: technically, this is speculation -- especially the second reason -- but it's also probably accurate):

1. Because they can. The executives at Days know that they've hit the jackpot with Chandler Massey. He is Will Horton -- all of the other actors are just bad memories. Conveniently, Chandler has a younger brother (two, actually). The writers want to tell a story that revolves around something that happened when Will was younger. It's a perfect opportunity to recreate the scene, instead of simply using an old scene that features the actor who was really playing Will at that time, and it further solidifies Chandler as the quintessential Will Horton (since the younger version of Will will now resemble Chandler). It will probably also considerably raise the caliber of the acting in that scene, if Chandler's amazing acting talents run in the family.

A less drastic example of this that also occurs from time to time involves filling photo albums with actual photographs from an actor's childhood -- school photographs, photographs of the actor as a baby, etc., that were obtained from the actor or the actor's parents and permitted to be used to create the illusion that the character has always looked a certain way.

2. More importantly, because they want to show us something that didn't occur in the original scene, which was filmed at a time when the writers did not want the audience to know for certain that Will was the person who had shot E.J. Because of that, we never saw any confirmation that Will was the shooter. We never saw how Lucas learned this information. We never saw any scenes where Lucas told Will to keep his mouth shut, assured him that everything was going to be all right, etc.

When the writers finally decided to pin the crime on Will last year, it was a retcon -- it was a retcon that wasn't completely ridiculous, since some viewers had theorized that Will was the real shooter back when the storyline had originally aired, but it was a retcon nevertheless (and as we all know, soap fans throw out tons of random theories every day, so the fact that some people theorized that Will was the real shooter years ago doesn't necessarily prove that this was the direction that the storyline was originally intended to go in) -- but now that the die has been cast, they're free to go back and film new scenes to support that retcon. That's what they'd do if it were a retcon that involved characters who still look the same as they did back then, anyway...but in this case, that won't work. That's where Christian comes into play.
Edited by Will&Sonny, Feb 6 2013, 02:09 AM.

cord08

Quote:

Chandler has a younger brother (two, actually).

Not that it's super important to this conversation, but Chandler only has one younger brother. His other sibling is a younger sister.

I've also heard that sometimes they can't/won't use flashbacks simply because another actor was in the role. I think this is largely a case of the previous actor looking vastly different from Chandler not only in looks, but also in height. If you look at clips from that era the difference is pretty jarring.

james0479
Member Avatar

Chandler's little bro looks SO much like Chandler. It's crazy! He's a goofball but there's talent there. I can't wait to see the flashback! Cool move to use little brother as Will.

PABWECG

james0479
Feb 6 2013, 12:46 PM
Chandler's little bro looks SO much like Chandler. It's crazy! He's a goofball but there's talent there. I can't wait to see the flashback! Cool move to use little brother as Will.
He even sounds like Chandler...which makes sense as siblings...but that makes the character seem much more like Will.

I think it's really cool they're doing this, and it seems to say something about how invested they are in Chandler. Yes!

Can't wait to see how this plays out. I think the writers are doing an amazing job of tying together lots of story lines...old and new. This Will/Gabi baby story is bringing out Gabi's crimes, Will's, Nick's prison experience...and who knows what else. And it's going to bring Lucas/Sami/EJ into story lines together again (I hope)...

Will&Sonny

cord08
Feb 6 2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:

Chandler has a younger brother (two, actually).

Not that it's super important to this conversation, but Chandler only has one younger brother. His other sibling is a younger sister.
Thanks -- I stand corrected! I had always known about Christian, but when I was trying to verify his age, I saw a reference to Chandler's "two brothers", Cameryn and Christian. That's what I get for hastily trusting a Facebook page!

Bee
Member Avatar

:rockon: Hell yeah! Let's revisit the black wedding! I'm down for this.

It aint a soap wedding unless someone gets shot.

Best.Wedding.Ever.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply