Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, February 6th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 6 2013, 09:02 AM (8,465 Views)
elci525
Member Avatar

esp13
Feb 6 2013, 02:30 PM
Harmony233
Feb 6 2013, 02:19 PM
elci525
Feb 6 2013, 02:07 PM
Matt
Feb 6 2013, 02:02 PM
Rafe/Sami is absolutely DELICIOUS as bitter, vicious enemies who go right for the jugular with the most hurtful things they can say (while deftly playing their own hurt over their failed relationship as subtext). I can't believe how much I thoroughly enjoy these two going at one another with emotional hatchets. Rafe/Sami as enemies is INFINITELY better than Rafe/Sami as lovey-dovey romantics.
I thought it would be - but I don't find that I am thinking that about Rafe and Sami in these scenes. Same as I didn't enjoy the Sami and Brady scenes yesterday when I was really looking forward to them. I just hate Sami so much, I am no longer entertained by her. And while it is delicious irony that she is playing the Kate in this story, I hate-liked Kate in her story. Sami, not so much. It's disappointing - I want to enjoy the soapy badassness.
you know kate could be annoying with her meddling but i understood her most of the time and kates hate of sami made more sense
I think that's my problem. I mean, Kate may have been way OTT, but at least she had a reason to dislike Sami. Sami lied about Austin being the father of her child. That lie affected two of Kate's sons.

But I can't figure out why Sami hates Gabi so much. Yes, Gabi lied, but so did Will. I understand Sami being upset, but this has been ridiculously OTT since day one and for no good reason. Without that good reason, it just makes me hate Sami even more than I usually do (and that's saying something). I don't find her rants entertaining, I find them unwatchable.
I completely agree!!! I've said this before, but my theory or thesis or whatever is that Sami is grafting her past experience onto this situation, assuming Gabi is a Sami-lite or Sami-junior or something, and is just playing out some psychodrama based on those assumptions. Which makes her behavior all the more annoying, especially guessing how her meddling - in tandem with some other exacerbating factors - will just make this a very complicated mess of Will and co.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Supergirlx2
Feb 6 2013, 01:54 PM
cord08
Feb 6 2013, 01:49 PM
More Hope foreshadowing...
i really hope that it's that Hope doesn't know where Bo is, not that they're having marriage troubles. At least it was Victor asking this time, not someone who doesn't need to be sticking their nose in Hope's business.
I'm going to assume that she won't hear from him...he'll go 'missing' or something.....I just wish they would really think this through better though.....they could have used the opportunity that they were writing Billie off and as her exit story have her made a few secret phone calls here and there....tell someone on the other line that she will be there by the new year, and then have Hope hear those exchanges once or twice. Get Rachel to make a one time appearance as Chelsea....have her call for her father and find out he isn't in town and she hasn't heard from him in weeks, then have her say to Hope, 'that's strange I spoke to my mom and she said that she had just heard from my father'....leave it like a very vague set of references over time that leads Hope to assume that Bo might have run off with Billie....obviously it'll be nothing but at least they could have put a bit more thought into this.....then move Hope on to someone else and have them start a relationship after she thinks her husband has abandoned her and then bring Bo back to Salem at just the right time...when Hope and whomever are about to tie the knot.

Pookie
Member Avatar

esp13

Quote:

But I can't figure out why Sami hates Gabi so much. Yes, Gabi lied, but so did Will. I understand Sami being upset, but this has been ridiculously OTT since day one and for no good reason. Without that good reason, it just makes me hate Sami even more than I usually do (and that's saying something). I don't find her rants entertaining, I find them unwatchable.
I get it. Sami probably sees a lot of herself in Gabi. And Sami knows full well the insane lengths she's gone through in the past to keep her babies fathers away from them. Knowing that, she is probably TERRIFIED Gabi will do the same to HER child Will. And that's why we're getting OTT Sami.

guessgirl
Member Avatar

Was I suppose to find Will confessing him willing up to give his baby up for Sonny romantic, touching, swoon worthy? Because I didn't. Your child should come first always. Not your boyfriend, significant other, wife, husband etc. Frankly if someone was willing to give up their own flesh and blood for another person it doesn't speak much for their character to me.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

elci525
Feb 6 2013, 02:37 PM
I've said this before, but my theory or thesis or whatever is that Sami is grafting her past experience onto this situation, assuming Gabi is a Sami-lite or Sami-junior or something, and is just playing out some psychodrama based on those assumptions. Which makes her behavior all the more annoying, especially guessing how her meddling - in tandem with some other exacerbating factors - will just make this a very complicated mess of Will and co.
Projecting is exactly what she's doing. Her line to Gabi - "I should've seen you coming. You look so familiar" - was a dead giveaway. Yes, it's irrational and mostly incorrect, but I don't mind it for two reasons. First, it's in character for Sami to be presumptive and irrational. Second, it creates conflict/drama.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And just because Rafe & Sami were arguing about Gabi & Will doesn't necessarily mean that they were arguing about Gabi & Will. Or that anything they said was the 100% truth under normal, less emotional circumstances. Just because a character says something, doesn't make it fact or accurate.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

esp13
Harmony233
elci525
Matt
Rafe/Sami is absolutely DELICIOUS as bitter, vicious enemies who go right for the jugular with the most hurtful things they can say (while deftly playing their own hurt over their failed relationship as subtext). I can't believe how much I thoroughly enjoy these two going at one another with emotional hatchets. Rafe/Sami as enemies is INFINITELY better than Rafe/Sami as lovey-dovey romantics.
I thought it would be - but I don't find that I am thinking that about Rafe and Sami in these scenes. Same as I didn't enjoy the Sami and Brady scenes yesterday when I was really looking forward to them. I just hate Sami so much, I am no longer entertained by her. And while it is delicious irony that she is playing the Kate in this story, I hate-liked Kate in her story. Sami, not so much. It's disappointing - I want to enjoy the soapy badassness.
you know kate could be annoying with her meddling but i understood her most of the time and kates hate of sami made more sense
I think that's my problem. I mean, Kate may have been way OTT, but at least she had a reason to dislike Sami. Sami lied about Austin being the father of her child. That lie affected two of Kate's sons.

Exactly this. All points perfectly made. :hail:

It takes everything I have not to switch her off. I'm just thankful I'm watching a fictional soap and not a reality TV show.

elci525
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Feb 6 2013, 02:44 PM
elci525
I've said this before, but my theory or thesis or whatever is that Sami is grafting her past experience onto this situation, assuming Gabi is a Sami-lite or Sami-junior or something, and is just playing out some psychodrama based on those assumptions. Which makes her behavior all the more annoying, especially guessing how her meddling - in tandem with some other exacerbating factors - will just make this a very complicated mess of Will and co.
Projecting is exactly what she's doing. Her line to Gabi - "I should've seen you coming. You look so familiar" - was a dead giveaway. Yes, it's irrational and mostly incorrect, but I don't mind it for two reasons. First, it's in character for Sami to be presumptive and irrational. Second, it creates conflict/drama.
Yes, it wasn't a genius, nuanced observation. Thesis was too lofty a word to use.

I didn't say it was out of character for Sami to do this, and I can understand it because the parallels to her situation are ostensibly similar, and Sami is such a loon - but I don't care how understandable it is. I still don't appreciate it. Or rather I am not entertained by Sami's irrationality any more, so I don't find this character aspect appealing. And there is enough drama immanent in the Wabi situation with Nick, Gabi and Will without Sami's input that I don't need her propelling the drama. Of course she will get involved because she is Sami and what else does she do, but I could do without it. It will create a drama and conflict that I will just roll my eyes at. Sami's selfishness, immaturity and irrationality at this stage do not make compelling conflict for me. She might inspire something interesting later down the line, maybe. But for now, I would just as soon pass. Others find it worthy, entertaining, and or a logical brewing cause/catalyst for logical drama. And I wouldn't exactly disagree with the last bit - I wouldn't really expect Sami to act any differently given the storyline and what's already played out. It just bores me now. Hopefully the other players in the drama will make it watchable for me - I think they will.
Edited by elci525, Feb 6 2013, 02:57 PM.

Pookie
Member Avatar

elci525
Feb 6 2013, 02:51 PM
tomsawyer
elci525
Yes, it wasn't a genius, nuanced observation. Thesis was too lofty a word to use.

I didn't say it was out of character for Sami to do this, and I can understand it because the parallels to her situation are ostensibly similar, and Sami is such a loon - but I don't care how understandable it is. I still don't appreciate it. Or rather I am not entertained by Sami's irrationality any more, so I don't find this character aspect appealing. And there is enough drama immanent in the Wabi situation with Nick, Gabi and Will without Sami's input that I don't need her propelling the drama. Of course she will get involved because she is Sami and what else does she do, but I could do without it. It will create a drama and conflict that I will just roll my eyes at. Sami's selfishness, immaturity and irrationality at this stage does not make compelling conflict for me. She might inspire something interesting later down the line, maybe. But for now, I would just as soon pass. Others find it worthy, entertaining, and or a logical brewing cause/catalyst for logical drama. And I wouldn't exactly disagree with the last bit - I wouldn't really expect Sami to act any differently given the storyline and what's already played out. It just bores me now. Hopefully the other players in the drama will make it watchable for me.
So are you basically saying, that after 20 years you yearn to see some growth and maturity from Sami?

PatNS
Member Avatar

I like that we're finally getting to see more of happened to Nick in prison. Blake Berris continues to impress.

It's always great seeing Julie again!

elci525
Member Avatar

Pookie
Feb 6 2013, 02:58 PM
elci525
Feb 6 2013, 02:51 PM
tomsawyer
elci525

I didn't say it was out of character for Sami to do this, and I can understand it because the parallels to her situation are ostensibly similar, and Sami is such a loon - but I don't care how understandable it is. I still don't appreciate it. Or rather I am not entertained by Sami's irrationality any more, so I don't find this character aspect appealing. And there is enough drama immanent in the Wabi situation with Nick, Gabi and Will without Sami's input that I don't need her propelling the drama. Of course she will get involved because she is Sami and what else does she do, but I could do without it. It will create a drama and conflict that I will just roll my eyes at. Sami's selfishness, immaturity and irrationality at this stage does not make compelling conflict for me. She might inspire something interesting later down the line, maybe. But for now, I would just as soon pass. Others find it worthy, entertaining, and or a logical brewing cause/catalyst for logical drama. And I wouldn't exactly disagree with the last bit - I wouldn't really expect Sami to act any differently given the storyline and what's already played out. It just bores me now. Hopefully the other players in the drama will make it watchable for me.
So are you basically saying, that after 20 years you yearn to see some growth and maturity from Sami?
LOL - I wouldn't say YEARN exactly. Sami doesn't excite me to such levels of tortured emotion, other than slight annoyance and venting on a board.

But after 20 years, maybe.

Look, it's a mixed back. At one point I loved Sami's delusions, irrationality and impulsive streak. When she was 20 and I was 13. Some love those aspects of Sami, and I can see why. It's soapy, over the top, fun to watch her put her foot in her mouth. And for better or worse, Sami in this mode does what she wants when she wants how she wants, so she doesn't back down and on some level I can appreciate that. Nice to see a woman not back down. But, eh, now, I am not as endeared to her. I have already mentioned why her playing this role and acting this way in this story, while understandable, just doesn't do it for me. That she is projecting is painfully thickheaded and solipsistic. She also isn't an underdog anymore, so I no longer cheer for her like I used to - I think that's the biggest difference. That she is now Kate is funny to an extent, but this parallel story may have been a nice opportunity to see her not want to repeat the mistakes of her past. Maybe we will see that happen at some point, if this custody things goes overboard and Sami has a regret, maybe. That would be touching to see. Others might see the value in the parallel story as a vehicle for Sami to play precisely this role, as the meddling Kate she resented so much, and I can see that. Sami is no different than one of her worst enemies. I just don't find as much entertainment value in that, I guess, personally.

And even if he annoys me sometimes, I do like Will. And it makes me sad the Sami stampede that is about to trample him, maybe. The payoff in the conflict she provides isn't there for me. At least not now as it's starting.
Edited by elci525, Feb 6 2013, 03:27 PM.

Tina227

Pookie
Feb 6 2013, 01:43 PM
cord08
Feb 6 2013, 01:36 PM
Rafe is kind of being a jerk about the baby. I thought he liked Will the other day. LOL, oh writers.
I think he does. But he and Sami are using the baby as a weapon in their battles between each other. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

ETA: But, actually, I don't get why Rafe is upset about Will gaining partial custody. Wasn't that always the goal if Gabi and Will worked things out? What did he expect, just to have Will wave from the sidelines?
Sami has been reacting to what Nick has been doing in the background after the wedding. Nick was going to blindside Will and marry Gabie, but Rafe stoped it from happening. Sami finds out about it and goes off because she knows what it would mean. Sami calms down after she hears about them being civil with Will. See today's episode shows that Sami is not trying to use this kid as a weapon, and how Rafe is. Sami went to tell Rafe she was sorry about how she treated Gabie, and bam Rafe goes off on her because he thinks she is going to talk about being back with EJ and sleeping with him.

Then he goes off on her again, and she reacts with her comments about her not with EJ was great, and non of his busines. Sami had no intention to talk about her personal relationship with EJ, and Rafe is the one who is asking a little kid about why hsi mom had him stay at the pub. Sami even told Rafe as long as Gabie allows WIll to be a part of the baby's life there won't be a problem. Rafe basically said that Will would only be allowed to visit the child instead of having equal rights. That's when Sami said that she felt tha tGabie and WIll should share joint custody, and bam Rafe thinks that means she wants to make the baby a prize WTH. Then Sami reacts because she thinks they will try to keep Will away from his child and she comments on how Will could get sole custody.

stormymac
Member Avatar

guessgirl
Feb 6 2013, 02:43 PM
Was I suppose to find Will confessing him willing up to give his baby up for Sonny romantic, touching, swoon worthy? Because I didn't. Your child should come first always. Not your boyfriend, significant other, wife, husband etc. Frankly if someone was willing to give up their own flesh and blood for another person it doesn't speak much for their character to me.
Actually, I don't think we were supposed to find the confession "romantic, touching, swoon worthy." Will said that choosing Sonny over his own child was messed up and selfish. Sonny took Will's hand, not as a romantic gesture, but as a compassionate one because of how upset Will was that he made such a wrong choice.

Also, I don't think that becoming so obsessed with someone that you kill for them(pills or no pills) or you hire someone to stalk you and then, when they kidnap your obsession's girlfriend(supposedly your best friend), you not only don't tell the police, but you also give them a heads up when the police are on their way says much for someone's character either. Not to mention the phrase "gay boy" becoming a prominent part of one's vocabulary. Of course YMMV. :shrug:

six
Member Avatar

I don't see what's so bad about Sami encouraging Will to take steps to secure his place in the baby's life. It's in everyone's best interest to get things settled ASAP. Wasn't Nick just suggesting getting married to Gabi before the baby was born, so he could be the legal father? Things like that are why Will needs to open his eyes and establish paternity so he won't get denied his rights.

Eric grabbing Nicole's arm, then sliding his hand into hers. :wub:

GG should know and embrace his limits. Showing raw emotion on screen is just not for you, dude. And Rafe blames Sami for blowing things out of proportion, but he's just as bad as she is. Also, LOL at his outrage over her attempt to murder someone that he helped cover up.

Kristen and Nicole could have a great frenemies vibe. They should team up and go after Sami, or Victor, or something. The police station scene was great, and it just kept getting better as Brady, then Kristen, Victor and Hope showed up. I see that Hope has been spending too much time with Rafe/Bo, because she's picked up their belief that the law only applies to people doing things that don't personally benefit her family. I do like her new snarky attitude, though.

I'm glad Stefano doesn't understand Kristen's plans for Brady, either. At this point, I think she's in denial and she has no intention of trying to hurt Brady.

Wilson was really good. I was pleasantly surprised when the show addressed the fact that Will has been giving people conflicting explanations about why he didn't claim the baby.

Was it just my screen or was everyone really orange today? Even some of the sets looked orange-tinged.
Edited by six, Feb 6 2013, 03:39 PM.

Pookie
Member Avatar

six
Feb 6 2013, 03:25 PM
I don't see what's so bad about Sami encouraging Will to take steps to secure his place in the baby's life. It's in everyone's best interest to get things settled ASAP. Wasn't Nick just suggesting getting married to Gabi before the baby was born, so he could be the legal father? Thins like that are why Will needs to open his eyes and establish paternity so he won't get denied his rights. Eric grabbing Nicole's arm, then sliding his hand into hers. :wub:

GG should know and embrace his limits. Showing raw emotion on screen is just not for you, dude. And Rafe blames Sami for blowing things out of proportion, but he's just as bad as she is. Also, LOL at his outrage over her attempt to murder someone that he helped cover up.

Kristen and Nicole could have a great frenemies vibe. They should team up and go after Sami, or Victor, or something. The police station scene was great, and it just kept getting better as Brady, then Kristen, Victor and Hope showed up. I see that Hope has been spending too much time with Rafe/Bo, because she's picked up their belief that the law only applies to people doing things that don't personally benefit her family. I do like her new snarky attitude, though.

I'm glad Stefano doesn't understand Kristen's plans for Brady, either. At this point, I think she's in denial and she has no intention of trying to hurt Brady.

Was it just my screen or was everyone really orange today? Even some of the sets looked orange-tinged.
True, true. There is nothing over the top about encouraging Will to get his legal ducks in a row. Of course, Sami delivers her advise in an OTT tizzy that doesn't help the situation.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

esp13
Harmony233
elci525
Matt

One scene that turned me off to Sami's involvement is very soon after the wedding, she came into the pub and started going off on Gabi about Will. Gabi told Sami that Will was there for the baby's ultrasound earlier that day. Then SUDDENLY Sami was like "OH he was? Great can I see a picture? Let's sit down and discuss what will be coming up for everyone..." Gabi's reaction to her was exactly my own reaction, that she can't seriously expect to go off on her then in the practical next breath expect them to be able to plan for the baby's future together. And of course Sami reacted as the defensive OTT harpy that makes her look like an irrational dolt.

Yesterday when she yelled at Brady for dating Kristen when she JUST LEFT EJ'S BED just makes her look like the town's biggest hypocrite especially when she asked Brady to keep she and EJ's a relationship a secret from his father/stepmother whom he's estranged.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Matt
Feb 6 2013, 02:46 PM
And just because Rafe & Sami were arguing about Gabi & Will doesn't necessarily mean that they were arguing about Gabi & Will. Or that anything they said was the 100% truth under normal, less emotional circumstances. Just because a character says something, doesn't make it fact or accurate.
And that's what I'm enjoying most about this baby story. Nobody is being the cartoon bad guy (save for Nick, but it looks like he's about to get a more sympathetic motivation too). Sami and Rafe were both wrong in their conversation today, but I get why they both said what they did. They were just going to reunite, so there are obviously still feelings there. And while neither wants to be together, neither of them are indifferent to the other yet either. It simply takes time for feelings to subside. So in the meantime, it makes sense that they will channel once loving feelings into anger, and that will play into how they both react to the Wabi baby situation.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Even though Sami has a valid point in trying to get Will his full parental rights, it's more than obvious that she's thinking more about her wants than his.

elci525
Member Avatar

Pookie
Feb 6 2013, 03:28 PM
six
Feb 6 2013, 03:25 PM
I don't see what's so bad about Sami encouraging Will to take steps to secure his place in the baby's life. It's in everyone's best interest to get things settled ASAP. Wasn't Nick just suggesting getting married to Gabi before the baby was born, so he could be the legal father? Thins like that are why Will needs to open his eyes and establish paternity so he won't get denied his rights. Eric grabbing Nicole's arm, then sliding his hand into hers. :wub:

True, true. There is nothing over the top about encouraging Will to get his legal ducks in a row. Of course, Sami delivers her advise in an OTT tizzy that doesn't help the situation.
Indeed. No, suggesting to Will that he get a paternity test is not out of line. But I can just see that leading to one thing leading to another suggestion and another, etc. etc. And her reactions thus far to Gabi, and to Rafe, etc. don't inspire in me a whole lot of confidence that she will be calm and level-headed about this. Or that she is really thinking about Will and the baby. Even if her fight with Rafe about Gabi and Will wasn't really about Gabi and Will, which is pretty likely, meddling with Gabi and Will may be how she chooses to communicate or engage Rafe in this pissing match, which would be a shame, at least imo. Some of that rash, selfish behavior that doesn't entertain me quite as much.

We'll see what happens, of course.
Edited by elci525, Feb 6 2013, 03:36 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

If soap characters all acted like mature, reasonable, rational adults all of the time who could solve their problems simply by sitting down and coming to logical solutions and compromises, soaps would be hideously boring.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply