Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC's 'Up All Night' Saga (Updated 2/16)
Topic Started: Feb 9 2013, 12:40 AM (1,349 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

NBC's 'Up All Night' Saga: Will Arnett Courted By CBS; Maya Rudolph Pregnant (New 2/16)
The network weighs abandoning a planned reboot without co-star Christina Applegate.

NBC's Up All Night looks like it may finally be put to sleep.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is strongly considering abandoning the plan to keep the struggling series alive in the wake of star Christina Applegate's exit last week. As a planned one-episode reboot of the show has stalled, co-star Will Arnett is being seriously courted by CBS to star in a Greg Garcia-written comedy, among others.

In addition, sources tell THR that co-star Maya Rudolph has informed NBC that she is pregnant with her fourth child with director Paul Thomas Anderson. These sources say the show's writers planned to incorporate the pregnancy into the revised version of the series, but that issue could now be moot. The show's writing staff is said to be seeking new jobs.

NBC and reps for the actors declined to comment.

Initially, the network hoped to salvage the Lorne Michaels-produced comedy, hiring veteran James Burrows to tape one episode of a largely re-imagined show with Arnett and Rudolph. (It was not clear whether the Applegate role would be recast after her abrupt decision to quit.) But that reboot has hit snags and Arnett is said to be ready to move on.
NBC has not released Arnett or Rudolph from their contracts for the original Up All Night, a single-camera show that the network hoped to transform into a multi-camera, behind-the-scenes look at a struggling television series. The show is not officially dead, though presumably the stars' exits are being negotiated.

The chaos comes at a key time for Arnett and Rudolph, with casting on the nearly 100 broadcast pilots already under way and both actors rocketing to the top of many network wish lists. Both Arnett and Rudolph have already received second-position offers for a number of broadcast pilots. CBS' Les Moonves in particular is said to want Arnett for an untitled comedy written and executive produced by Garcia about a recently divorced man whose parents move in with him. ABC also is high on the actor.

In the past two months, Up All Night has seen creator Emily Spivey and showrunner Tucker Cawley exit, with new showrunner Linda Wallem (Nurse Jackie) charged with retooling the series.

NBC announced in December that Up All Night would resume production in February following a three-month hiatus, with five episodes scheduled to begin in April or May. That plan was later changed to a one-episode reboot. The creative changes would have marked the latest for the comedy this season after Rudolph's talk-show format was ditched in the season two premiere earlier this fall.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/will-arnett-up-all-night-420889

Applegate-free 'Up All Night' not canceled
Report: Revamped sitcom apparently to be treated as a new pilot

Spoiler: click to toggle

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=83ea0431-ee73-465a-b039-3b1d05afadf7

Deadline Article

Christina Applegate Leaving 'Up All Night'

Spoiler: click to toggle

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/christina-applegate-leaving-all-night-76896
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Very strange. I wonder if they'll recast or it will be a new character?

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I read Lisa Kudrow was in talks

I'm excited about the switch to traditional sitcom.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I don't know why they just don't morph it into an entirely new series starring Rudolph & Farrell as 2 non-romantic BFFs with NO paternal skills who are left to raise a kid together (kinda like a take on My Two Dads or Full House).

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Or better yet, don't recast! Just write off Reagan & Chris and focus on Ava as the lead character. Promote Molly Shannon, Nick Cannon, Steven Pasquale and Megan Mullally to series regulars.

King
Member Avatar

It's going to be interesting.

I am looking forward to the multicam switch too.

KMan101
Member Avatar

LOL, she's not dumb.

It's too bad because I thought the show could have had real potential. It just never grabbed me. GREAT cast though.

I agree that they can remodel the show around Maya Rudolph for next season and I was going to tune in to see the cam switch. Write out Reagan and Chris and focus on Ava. Didn't her talk show get dropped? Have her attempt another "comeback" that season could write itself (I don't know what the character has been doing this season).

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

I had a feeling this would happen, I have noticed none of her last few shows she was in doing well. I guess she did not want to be part of another cancelled show.
Edited by Dakota, Feb 11 2013, 01:56 AM.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Applegate-free 'Up All Night' not canceled
Report: Revamped sitcom apparently to be treated as a new pilot

Someone at NBC has been watching reruns of "Cheers," "The Hogan Family" and "Laverne & Shirley." Apparently, the network thinks that continuing "Up All Night" without Christina Applegate is a possibility. According to Deadline, plans are still afoot to convert the single-camera sitcom to a multi-camera, studio-audience situation. (This change appears to be what caused both Applegate and creator Emily Spivey to quit on Friday.)

It is not known whether Applegate will be replaced, although former "Friends" star Lisa Kudrow is the rumored frontrunner to join Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph if she is.

NBC realizes that suddenly losing the mom in an established sitcom about two parents raising a kid could be a problem. (Nothing gets by NBC.) So, according to Deadline, it has scaled back its new episode order from five to one. In other words, it's treating the show as just another pilot for next season.

In addition, it has hired James Burrows to direct the episode, which is significant because the veteran director has helmed episodes of "Cheers" (which successfully replaced Shelley Long with Kirstie Alley, and which Burrows also co-created), "The Hogan Family" (which was born when Sandy Duncan successfully replaced Valerie Harper in "Valerie"), and "Laverne & Shirley" (which actually shot a final season without Shirley).

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Deadline notes that both Arnett and Rudolph are reportedly fielding other pilot offers. And wouldn't you, too?

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=83ea0431-ee73-465a-b039-3b1d05afadf7

Deadline Article

King
Member Avatar

They should treat is a whole new show and have Arnett and Maya Rudolph play parents.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I'm not getting why this show has so many chances. It makes me jealous, 'cause the shows I like just get killed off. Or shuffled around the schedule and run twice a week to burn off episodes.

King
Member Avatar

I'm guessing it has to do with Lorne Michaels' relationship to NBC?

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar

NBC's 'Up All Night' Saga: Will Arnett Courted By CBS; Maya Rudolph Pregnant
The network weighs abandoning a planned reboot without co-star Christina Applegate.

NBC's Up All Night looks like it may finally be put to sleep.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is strongly considering abandoning the plan to keep the struggling series alive in the wake of star Christina Applegate's exit last week. As a planned one-episode reboot of the show has stalled, co-star Will Arnett is being seriously courted by CBS to star in a Greg Garcia-written comedy, among others.

In addition, sources tell THR that co-star Maya Rudolph has informed NBC that she is pregnant with her fourth child with director Paul Thomas Anderson. These sources say the show's writers planned to incorporate the pregnancy into the revised version of the series, but that issue could now be moot. The show's writing staff is said to be seeking new jobs.

NBC and reps for the actors declined to comment.

Initially, the network hoped to salvage the Lorne Michaels-produced comedy, hiring veteran James Burrows to tape one episode of a largely re-imagined show with Arnett and Rudolph. (It was not clear whether the Applegate role would be recast after her abrupt decision to quit.) But that reboot has hit snags and Arnett is said to be ready to move on.
NBC has not released Arnett or Rudolph from their contracts for the original Up All Night, a single-camera show that the network hoped to transform into a multi-camera, behind-the-scenes look at a struggling television series. The show is not officially dead, though presumably the stars' exits are being negotiated.

The chaos comes at a key time for Arnett and Rudolph, with casting on the nearly 100 broadcast pilots already under way and both actors rocketing to the top of many network wish lists. Both Arnett and Rudolph have already received second-position offers for a number of broadcast pilots. CBS' Les Moonves in particular is said to want Arnett for an untitled comedy written and executive produced by Garcia about a recently divorced man whose parents move in with him. ABC also is high on the actor.

In the past two months, Up All Night has seen creator Emily Spivey and showrunner Tucker Cawley exit, with new showrunner Linda Wallem (Nurse Jackie) charged with retooling the series.

NBC announced in December that Up All Night would resume production in February following a three-month hiatus, with five episodes scheduled to begin in April or May. That plan was later changed to a one-episode reboot. The creative changes would have marked the latest for the comedy this season after Rudolph's talk-show format was ditched in the season two premiere earlier this fall.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/will-arnett-up-all-night-420889

Alin89
Member Avatar

just cancel it already. how can it go on

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply