Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40th Annual Pre-Nominations Ballot Revealed!
Topic Started: Feb 11 2013, 01:34 PM (4,147 Views)
DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Wish they would tell us who submitted for the Younger Actor and Actress categories. I know they are already qualified for the pre-nominations automatically but I would like to see. I'm sure Chandler is going for the repeat. Not sure what to expect from the Actress category. It seems like there should be more than 9 or 10 submissions in these categories.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cord08

Question: Do the actors submit more or different scenes for the final round? It seems like that was the case last year, but I don't know if the rules have changed. (For instance, I thought I read Chandler Massey from Days submitted his break up scenes with Gabi for the pre-noms, and then almost coming out to Marlena for the final round).

wawame

Pre-Nomination Round
MP4 Submission- for ALL performers.
For both One Hour and Half Hour Programs: The actor must submit a single-scene clip as aired totaling up to 3 minutes in length from the 2012 calendar year.

Blue Ribbon Round
DVD Submission (for Blue-Ribbon Round only)
For One Hour Programs, actors may submit a clip reel with an unlimited number of scenes from one episode. For Half Hour Programs, actors may submit a clip reel with an unlimited number of scenes from 2 back-to-back episodes. Scenes in which the actors have no dialogue may be excluded. No internal editing is permitted. No more than 25% of submission may be from material prior to 2012 (ie. Flashbacks). Content can be but does not have to be from the same episode selected for the Pre-Nomination Round.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

cord08
Feb 14 2013, 05:14 PM
talbab1994
Feb 12 2013, 03:50 PM
If I had to pick right now the lead actors for the Emmy, I would pick Susan Flannery and Jason Thompson. Both, I thought were really good. I know that when I watched Jason on GH, there were times where I would tear up myself when he was mourning Robin. He was terrific. Susan was wonderful in those last episodes of B & B.

I would love to see Blake Berris for supporting. He's been really good on Days this go around. When people are complaining about what Nick is saying and doing then I think he's doing a good job at portraying this character.
I agree about Lead Actor. (I've never watched B&B, so I have no opinion on SF). I'm curious to see what scenes Jason Thompson submitted. I personally think his grief scenes before Robin's funeral were the best in daytime last year. The only issue is that the Emmys don't usually award more subtle acting.

I still can't watch that scene without tearing up--he was so good in his emotions, in acting, the whole package. I hope that the panel judging this catagory will see this.

Evan
Member Avatar

Put your glasses down: Susan Flannery will win the Best Actress Emmy, again.
So KKL has put herself forward for Best Supporting Actress? Probably a smart move, because her scenes with SF were some of her best ever on B&B, I hope she finally gets nominated.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

I think that Jason Thompson and doug davison should be win.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I'm going over the Lead Actress reels now before I make my predictions. So far there's two real standouts, but I have to say. I don't watch B&B and never have and Susan Flannery's reel is fantastic. I actually went back and watched the whole episode after I finished with the reel. She is such a legend.

Kenny
Member Avatar

darraholic
Feb 11 2013, 03:00 PM
I hope Eileen at least submitted herself in Supporting. The scene at the cabin with Kristen & John was great!
I doubt the cabin scenes would've gotten her a win but I do think she could've gotten nominated if she had submitted herself. Eileen usually doesn't do "soft" very well but I thought she was great in those scenes.

It's too bad the show was pre-empted in December because the scenes that aired the first of this year could've gotten her a nomination and a win.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 16 2013, 12:46 AM
darraholic
I hope Eileen at least submitted herself in Supporting. The scene at the cabin with Kristen & John was great!
I doubt the cabin scenes would've gotten her a win but I do think she could've gotten nominated if she had submitted herself. Eileen usually doesn't do "soft" very well but I thought she was great in those scenes.

It's too bad the show was pre-empted in December because the scenes that aired the first of this year could've gotten her a nomination and a win.

Thanks for sharing Kenny. Don't have the time to watch Days anymore. But damm those are some explosive scenes. Eileen is amazing. And Drake is actually pretty great himself. WOW.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Watched all of the reels that were possible to watch. Some surprises honestly. Here's my pre-nomination predictions. In order by show, not by any other ranking.

** = couldn't find the reel to watch/re-watch, but based on history of the actor or summary of the scenes

Supporting Actor
1. Scott Clifton, B&B**
2. Blake Berris, DAYS
3. James Reynolds, DAYS
4. Bradford Anderson, GH
5. Brandon Barash, GH
6. Sean Kanan, GH
7. John J. York, GH
8. Billy Miller, Y&R
9. Peter Porte, Y&R
10. Greg Rikaart, Y&R**
Summary : The closest one to being out on this list for me would be Sean Kanan. He's kinda in there by default. The list is very top very. Some bad reels aside from the really good ones. I am confident in Scott Clifton, he's an Emmy favorite so without seeing that reel I'm okay. If Greg Rikaart's reel is bad (I didn't see that epi) I would guess Jeff Branson would take his place. 19 submissions! This thing is wide open. I'd say there's a Top 3 or 4 with really good odds though

Supporting Actress
1. Katherine Kelly Lang, B&B
2. Arianne Zucker, DAYS
3. Julie Marie Berman, GH
4. Kassie DePaiva, GH
5. Nancy Lee Grahn, GH
6. Rebecca Herbst, GH
7. Robin Mattson, GH
8. Jessica Collins, Y&R**
9. Melissa Claire Egan, Y&R
10. Elizabeth Hendrickson, Y&R**
Summary : Another one with just a lot of submissions. 18. I didn't see Jessica Collins, Judith Chapman, or Elizabeth Hendrickson's reels. Hendrickson was nominated last year and Jessica Collins is just good all of the time. Made predictions a little difficult. I personally love Judith Chapman, but she is so campy I don't know. Impossible to judge without the scenes so I'm leaving her off. To include the other two unseens, I bumped Lisa LoCicero off the list along with Suzanne Rogers. There are some POWERHOUSE performances here. I think KKL is the massive favorite, but I saw some others with winning potential. Too bad this is just the first round. I think RM had better material so I hope she advances and submits something better. Kassie DePaiva's GH reel is infinitely better than her OLTL leading reel.

Lead Actor
1. Don Diamont, B&B**
2. John McCook, B&B
3. Maurice Benard, GH
4. Roger Howarth, GH
5. Jason Thompson, GH
6. Peter Bergman, Y&R
7. Doug Davidson, Y&R
8. Christian LeBlanc, Y&R**
9. Michael Muhney, Y&R
10. Stephen Nichols, Y&R
Summary : Lead Actor feels a little lackluster this year and I'm not sure why. For me Jason Thompson is just a massive blowout here, but I'm not sure how the voters will score it. Doug Davidson has such a good reel. He would be my favorite for Supporting Actor and I have no idea why he put himself in Lead. My 10th slot is going to Stephen Nichols, but it easily could be Galen Gering in there. His reel was not bad, surprisingly, and some of the rest just aren't great. I love Joe Mascolo and his reel is actually really GREAT tv, but not sure how it works as a standalone scene. I can't see him getting the votes, but with 10 out of 13 making it really anything could happen. Except Ron Moss. Unless he gets courtesy votes just for the pre-nom. Did not see CLB's but lets be honest.

Lead Actress
1. Susan Flannery, B&B
2. Heather Tom, B&B
3. Peggy McKay, DAYS
4. Finola Hughes, GH
5. Kelly Monaco, GH
6. Laura Wright, GH
7. Kassie DePaiva, OLTL
8. Sharon Case, Y&R
9. Jeanne Cooper, Y&R
10. Melody Thomas Scott, Y&R
Summary : Again 10 out of 13 are advancing so really anything could happen. I'd say there's like a top 7 in this category and the bottom 6 are pretty interchangable. Michelle Stafford's reel is horrid, but I expect her to get enough votes. She's not going on my list even though I kinda predict it. I just can't make myself put her on there. There's 3 TOP TOP reels for me, but we will see. So really I'm giving the spot to Peggy McKay, I couldn't find Deidre Hall's reel because the description was beyond vague. She talked to Will in the Pub at least 45 times over the year. So the last spot is really a Peggy McKay/Deidre Hall tossup and MS getting the real votes. Can I mention how angry I am that Erika Slezak didn't submit?

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Don't ask me why, but the Emmy panel is nuts about Bradford Anderson. He has been nominated for Best Supporting Actor three times out of the past four years.

If he gets his fourth nomination this year, he will probably bring it home. This is how the Emmy panel usually plays things (think Christel Khalil but do not think Susan Lucci).

The whole thing is a popularity contest and it boils down to who is in favor at the moment. Emmy winner Sharon Case. She was always getting nominated in the late-1990's and early-2000's but even though she has turned it out year after year, she hasn't received a nomination in nine years.

What is going to be interesting is that this is the first year ever when both All My Children and One Life to Live have absolutely no impact on the nominations. So if there was ever a time when Days of Our Lives had an "opening," this would be it.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

The scene that Jason Thompson submitted always makes me cry and breaks my heart. If he doesn't win I will be so disappointed. He was amazing in his scenes after Robin's death.

That scene that Michelle Stafford picked is definitely cringe worthy. I don't know what she was thinking submitting that but I agree that she will probably get a nomination on her name alone which is a shame because that means another more deserving actress gets shut out for all the wrong reasons.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
Feb 17 2013, 03:12 PM
Don't ask me why, but the Emmy panel is nuts about Bradford Anderson. He has been nominated for Best Supporting Actor three times out of the past four years.

If he gets his fourth nomination this year, he will probably bring it home. This is how the Emmy panel usually plays things (think Christel Khalil but do not think Susan Lucci).

The whole thing is a popularity contest and it boils down to who is in favor at the moment. Emmy winner Sharon Case. She was always getting nominated in the late-1990's and early-2000's but even though she has turned it out year after year, she hasn't received a nomination in nine years.

What is going to be interesting is that this is the first year ever when both All My Children and One Life to Live have absolutely no impact on the nominations. So if there was ever a time when Days of Our Lives had an "opening," this would be it.
Christel Khalil probably had the best reel, honestly. I mean she isn't a great actress, but that category was as weak as its ever been. Shelley Hennig may have had the actual best, but she might not have even had DAYS support behind her because some of the voters may have never even met her. Khalil had Y&R's huge backing. That show is most into the Emmys. And a definite top 2 reel in the category.

Everyone gets gift awards, that happens here, happens in primetime and it happens most frequently in the Academy Awards. Its always the "Oh you were good again so we are going to give you this award for being GREAT 2 or 3 years ago."

Bradford's reel is actually pretty good and the category has some weak competition. I don't think he's going to win it, but I think he will get pre-nominated and then get an actual nomination, but who knows who will change their reels. I think he will stick with his. Its always hard to judge the people when you actually watch the show because that was a huge moment for the character of Spinelli and Bradford nailed it, but if you are just watching him yelling at Maxie, it might not have any impact on someone who has never seen the characters and doesn't know their history. I do agree that he's been nominated in the past for lesser scenes, against better competition. Not sure what that's about, its not like he has been a show-hopper and aside from the "Port Chuck" thing he doesn't seem to have a lot of friends in soaps, outside of GH.

As for DAYS, I think Chandler will win and I'm not sure what younger actors will be going for it, but that's really their best shot to me. Who knows about writing and everything else. They won last year, by some miracle so anything can happen. I wonder if OLTL submitted for the non-acting categories. It would be shame if they didn't.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Over at GoldDerby.com, a member named eastwest, revealed Feb. 10 that another soap website has a lowdown on who is in the Emmy hunt for a possible acting nod. General Hospital is in the game ... big time.

Might this be GH's biggest year yet?

james0479
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Feb 13 2013, 05:08 PM
LPS
Feb 12 2013, 08:41 PM
Susan Flannery for the win! She was awesome.

This was Stafford's episode. Yuck.... That's was her second worst scene ever (number one is the miscarriage scene). Watch her hand gestures. Ridiculous.

I literally almost fell outta my chair laughing at this clip...terrible acting..my god :puke:
Good God that was awful ....was she drunk or high or both? And when did Paul start looking so....dated?! I just can't with that pompous arrogant Y&R.

james0479
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Feb 16 2013, 02:00 AM
Kenny
Feb 16 2013, 12:46 AM
darraholic

Thanks for sharing Kenny. Don't have the time to watch Days anymore. But damm those are some explosive scenes. Eileen is amazing. And Drake is actually pretty great himself. WOW.
Duuuuuude, I can watch that hotel room scene between John and Kristen ALL DAY LONG. It's become, quite possibly, my favorite Kristen scene ever.
"Oh no no no no...I'm breaking YOUR heart! I'm taking YOUR son away from YOU!" And that delicious face of hers when John grabs her. OMG! Epic. Flawless. If there was ever an Emmy reel, it's this episode. Nothing makes me squeal like an idiot more than Eileen Davidson as Kristen on Days Of Our Lives.
Edited by james0479, Feb 21 2013, 03:31 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply