Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, February 12th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 12 2013, 09:14 AM (8,481 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Feb 12 2013, 05:20 PM
blueskies
Feb 12 2013, 05:15 PM
DiMeraFan67
Feb 12 2013, 02:55 PM
blueskies
Feb 12 2013, 02:52 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I think Lorraine Broderick is a breakdown writer. Her name has never been down as the writer, I don't think. But her influence can be felt on the show. I hate to be the person that trashes Tomlin when he's bad and gives credit to someone else when the show is good, but there has been a very noticeable shift and I'm giving some credit to Lorraine Broderick. Especially this jarring change in Nicole. The show flows together so much better. That involves breakdowns too so its hard to say her influence on the show. They are definitely keeping it under wraps.
I'm gonna a admit my lack of knowledge here, but what does the breakdown writer do exactly?
Matt will probably give you a better answer, but here's my quick one. They are the link between the HWs who create the overall stories and the script writers who write the daily episodes. They decide what will comprise each episode, including what will happen in each scene and which characters will be included, in order to tell the HWs' overall stories. Then the script writers take the episode breakdown and write the actual scenes and dialogue.

That's why a lot of people credit LB with the overall structure of episodes and things like unique character interactions.
Thanks! Yes, it does sound as though Lorraine is definitely responsible for a lot of these improvements seen onscreen.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

tomsawyer
blueskies
DiMeraFan67
blueskies
Feb 12 2013, 02:52 PM

I think Lorraine Broderick is a breakdown writer. Her name has never been down as the writer, I don't think. But her influence can be felt on the show. I hate to be the person that trashes Tomlin when he's bad and gives credit to someone else when the show is good, but there has been a very noticeable shift and I'm giving some credit to Lorraine Broderick. Especially this jarring change in Nicole. The show flows together so much better. That involves breakdowns too so its hard to say her influence on the show. They are definitely keeping it under wraps.
I'm gonna a admit my lack of knowledge here, but what does the breakdown writer do exactly?
Matt will probably give you a better answer, but here's my quick one. They are the link between the HWs who create the overall stories and the script writers who write the daily episodes. They decide what will comprise each episode, including what will happen in each scene and which characters will be included, in order to tell the HWs' overall stories. Then the script writers take the episode breakdown and write the actual scenes and dialogue.

That's why a lot of people credit LB with the overall structure of episodes and things like unique character interactions.
I like Lorainne Broaderick...but if she's the one who has been dictating the writing for John and Marlena, then EPIC fail.

She was the Days headwriter for about a month....10 years ago, before Cwickly and Brash took over. And her "writing" for Marlena was sooooo much better. Marlena was very strong, a working woman, and John was not a dick.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Okay, where do I start??

I'm basically loving everything (except Dannifer) about this show right now!

First, Ericole. Lets go ahead and make this official. I'm a fan. I'm totally shipping Ericole from hence day forth. They are everything good about soap couples. I'm loving Eric's jealousy veiled by his lame "rules" excuses. Nicole's line about wishing she could see herself thru Eric's eyes had me in a puddle on the floor. SO, SO, SO loving them right now!!

Secondly, could Everett & Sami be any cuter? Loving Sami thinking EJ's going to propose. I don't think he is, and I really don't want him to yet, but I'm loving that Sami wants him to so badly. The kiss by the wall was okay, but I kind of agree with Matt, the lift, in this particular scene, didnt really work. Although, I will say if anyone could make it work it would be JS. The way it played out was too fast & a little awkward. I'm willing to let them try again though. ;) Also, I agree with Tom, the gray tight don't work.

Lastly, Kate & Rafe. I'm going to need everyone to sit down & take a deep breath. I actually liked them. If tptb have a brain in their head they will from hence day forth write Rafe EXACTLY this way. This plays to whatever limited strengths GG has & they should capitalize on it. He should always be a douchey drunk. It works for him. I'm kind of hoping these two are more than a ONS.

And lastly, Dannifer...whatever.

I don't know what changed after the first of the year, but whatever it was its working. Please PTB don't break it!!!

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Feb 12 2013, 05:28 PM
tomsawyer
blueskies
DiMeraFan67

I like Lorainne Broaderick...but if she's the one who has been dictating the writing for John and Marlena, then EPIC fail.

She was the Days headwriter for about a month....10 years ago, before Cwickly and Brash took over. And her "writing" for Marlena was sooooo much better. Marlena was very strong, a working woman, and John was not a dick.

I don't think the breakdown writers get to control who is on. They are given stories and ideas from the HW and they have to decide what day which scenes air. They don't get to say more Marlena! Matt or Jason knows a lot more than me on this subject, but I'm almost positive that the breakdown writers can't decide to use someone or not. Even still I think LB is more than just a breakdown writer at this point, but she is probably limited on who she can use and how much.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Oh and I forgot to mention that the line of the day actually went to Rafe.

Kate: He turned out to be the love of my life.

Rafe: Gross.

AFaithL

Oh, and Lorainne liked John and Marlena together, didn't crap on them, and wrote them in character. So yeah, promote her to headwriter.

Lanemack
Member Avatar

Don't know what's wrong with me today. Rafe was interesting, EJ was dull. *eek*

Seriously, Rafe alone and drunk is SO much more interesting than Rafe in any form with Sami. Unfortunately, my dashing EJ disappeared today and he was snooze-worthy. Sorry EJAMI fans but EJ and Sami playing house just seems to lesson their passion and what made them interesting to me in the first place. Can't they be having secret rendezvous away from their home/kids/ dinosaurs/wine? The talk about nail polish was cringe-worthy. They need to add some sort of danger element to this story quickly - EJ pushing Sami away, Stephano becoming dangerous again - anything but "Rafe/Sami talk". I hated their domestic life and EJ and Sami's isn't winning me over, either. Passion in the afternoon, I say. I get enough of household chores/laundry/kids as it is -don't really want to watch it on my "time off", too. This Everett you speak of is B-O-R-I-N-G. ;)

deletemyaccountplease

Might be the first episode ever where i ffwd thru ej to watch rafe!!!!

Omfg

DawnElicia
Member Avatar

I actually enjoyed today for the most part.

I saw most of Dannifer scenes. Could that nurse be any louder in writing down that message i mean seriously who does that. I agree with Jennifer arguement i do think daniel is stupid but he admitted he knows what chloe is doing and he is not even trying to stop her so i think that he likes both of them chasing after him. Still cant figure out why they are chasing him though. Both girls can do better. Where is Frankie when you need him.

Loved the EJ and Samantha stuff man he had me laughing as he was teasing her with different things. I think he some how saw her in his pocket with the ring it. Man he had more stuff in his pocket then i do.

I never have been a nicole can. I did like her so what when she first came on the show and she first got with eric. she went down hill after that. I am surprised to say i enjoyed her in these last few scenes with Eric. Usually she is ff material to me so i give props to GV because he made Nicole watchable. He did the same with Sam on GH.

Love seeing Kate talking to stefano i actually liked them together but man he was on the mean side.

I wish i look as good as LK when i am her age. She is just beautiful. My issue is that Rafe or GG do nothing for me and i dont find he attractive so the scene was totally ruined for me. I didnt think it was hot just interesting.

deletemyaccountplease

The rafe kate feedback on fb is hysterical

Harmony233

pennieloafer
Feb 12 2013, 07:57 PM
Good or bad

spartan
Member Avatar

Could that kid playing Parker look any more like he should be Phillip/JKJ's son? That's all I think about when I see him. That and he looks like he should be entering the 5th grade with how tall he is for his 'age'.

I saw something from GV today....finally. I liked it. I think I will really enjoy it now that we are getting some layers to this Ericole story. That angst between them reminds me of the good ol soapy angst days. It was good.

Rafe and Kate were good. I also like how they are setting up some potentially good stuff for Stefano's return. Between Kate and Kristen and EJ, not to mention John and Marlena, there are some possibilities if they want to write it.

EJami were just too cute today. I can take them like this for awhile because I've never had them like this! I need some more time like this so it feels real, then lets them build a foundation for some havoc to come rolling back into their lives. I would have expected worse reading all the critiques against the wall grinding. I found it extremely hot! I do agree with Soc though, the grey tights did no favors for AS/Sami.

I just enjoyed this episode. I agree with others that it's really flowing well and feels like good soap.
Edited by spartan, Feb 12 2013, 08:21 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ahem. I enjoyed everything involving Kate today. I enjoyed Ericole a bit more, too. The angst is great, and while it was still a little too low key for me, it picked up a bit from yesterday.

Bite me.

deletemyaccountplease

Gvs eyes are BEAUTIFUL
but im still not into this melodramatic religious angst

deletemyaccountplease

Harmony233
Feb 12 2013, 08:12 PM
pennieloafer
Good or bad
Gross

I just vomitted in my mouth

Etc

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Feb 12 2013, 08:47 PM
Ahem. I enjoyed everything involving Kate today. I enjoyed Ericole a bit more, too. The angst is great, and while it was still a little too low key for me, it picked up a bit from yesterday.

Bite me.
:sheep: :omg: :wow:

Somebody mark this day on the calendar.

deletemyaccountplease

Gv appearing in nicoles bed is hott
Rafe and kate were hott

I feel as trying to be cute and i dont like it

esp13
Member Avatar

Eric and Nicole are soooo good. When Eric stepped towards her, telling her she was a good person and that if she wouldn't give herself credit, then let him . . . OMG, that was old school in the best possible way.

Drunk!Rafe and Drunk!Kate were fun when they were talking, but I'm not sure how I feel about the hook-up just yet.

Dannifer bore me, but I thought Daniel made a good point about Jen not trusting him to handle Chloe. I like that Chloe's little scheme is working but because Jennifer is insecure, not because Daniel is stupidly falling for it.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

lysie
Feb 12 2013, 08:47 PM

Bite me.
This brought an unexpected tear to my eye.

blueskies
Member Avatar

pennieloafer
Feb 12 2013, 08:51 PM
Harmony233
Feb 12 2013, 08:12 PM
pennieloafer
Good or bad
Gross

I just vomitted in my mouth

Etc
Well they always seem to be contrary to here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply