Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Video: Ali and James discuss Ejami
Topic Started: Feb 14 2013, 03:23 PM (7,231 Views)
tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Feb 16 2013, 10:05 AM
tomsawyer
Feb 15 2013, 09:44 PM
LuvingLumi
Feb 15 2013, 09:25 PM
tomsawyer
Feb 15 2013, 12:23 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Stefano didn't influence Ej with the Sydnapping at all, he didn't know about it till a bit after he had done that....that was ALL EJ....and the Rafe2 bit, Ej could have taken himself out of the equation early on, but he chose not too because he specifically said that he wanted his children not to look up to Rafe as a person/father figure/man, whatever...he was just jealous of Johnny/Syd loving this man.....I specifically think that if anything it's proven that EJ can do very nefarious deeds without total influence from Stefano.
I know Stefano didn't tell EJ to take Syd. They were on the outs then because EJ found out that Steffy knew about the babyswitch. I'm saying what Sami's mindset/concern probably is about Stefano returning to EJ's life. And it makes sense she'd be worried since there's a correlation between Stefano's absense and EJ's better behavior. The two times that Stefano has been completely out of EJ's life (early to mid-2008, and mid to late 2012) is when EJ has done the least nefarious deeds. Sami is right to be worried that Stefano's presence in EJ's life could cause him to revert back to the really dark side, just like it did before in 2008.
Yes, but as you just said there are also times that Stefano has been on the outs with Ej and he's still done some pretty horrible things to Sami (i.e, the baby switch). Sami may believe that Ej being away from Stefano helps him be a 'better man', but frankly she's had enough proof that is particularly not the case always...even with Stefano gone and Ej promising Lexie that he would try to do better or whatever he said, he still went ahead and blackmailed Rafe to stay out of Sami's life...the writers are trying every possible avenue to sell this story but for me it'll never work because at the core, Sami should love Ej PERIOD.....she shouldn't say he's changed, she shouldn't see him as changed to fall for him, she shouldn't care about who his father is, she shouldn't give a shit about anything if she loves him....to me the fact that she still spews the 'he's change so much' line to Marlena tells me that at it's core the relationship will never work....fall in love with the person regardless of who their parent are, regardless of who the person is....she knew Kate tried to kill her, she knew that Lucas stood there and almost let her die, she didn't trust Lucas at first but she couldn't control her feelings for him for too long, she knew who he was and she didn't care, why should she care so much about Ej being a changed man? If at the core she loves him?
But in Sami's mind, the "real EJ" is the one she has been around for the last 4-5 months. That's what her "stepped in yourself" and "you've become the man you were always meant to be" language implies. To Sami (and Lexie too), EJ is a good man at his core and it's the influence/presence of Stefano that turns him into something bad at times. And because of the correlation between Stefano's presence in EJ's life and his behavior, I think there's some validity to Sami's feelings. EJ has displayed a twisted need to please his father and, even if he's pissed at him, EJ's decision-making skews dark when Stefano is part of his life. When Stefano is completely gone (when he was in a coma in '08 and "dead" in '12), EJ generally chose better behavior. He wasn't perfect, but certainly better. And EJ will always struggle with the influence of Stefano because his father's morality is now a part of him, but he should be grown up enough to choose whether to give into that side of himself. EJ said he's stopped blaming others so maybe this time, even with Stefano in his life again, EJ will realize that he's an adult who can choose not to give into Stefano's influence and the darkest aspects of who he is.

And as to Sami not accepting who EJ has been in the past, I have zero problem with that. He's done some really evil shit to her and her family, so frankly, I'd think it was weird if she embraced the darkest aspects of his behavior. It's fine for her to still love and forgive him despite some of his worst deeds, but to accept them? No, she shouldn't. To me, Sami finally loving and accepting EJ for who he is doesn't have to mean loving and accepting everything bad thing he's ever done or will do. It means loving and accepting that he's a flawed person who will always struggle against his demons, and loving him enough to stick with him when he's tempted to give into his dark side. At this stage, I think it's pretty unclear whether Ejami's love for each other is strong enough for that kind of test. Stefano has been pretty absent and nothing bad has happened to bring out EJ's darkness. Presumably it will at some point and I would bet EJ will eventually be tempted by his dark side again. It will be interesting to see if Sami runs for the hills like she has before or if she sticks around to help him back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Connor Murphy
Feb 16 2013, 02:01 PM
lysie
Feb 14 2013, 03:51 PM
I think it's amazing that after all these years, Sweeney still doesn't get her character's family dynamic. Doesn't see Sami as a victim my ass.
No one understands a character more than the actor that portrays them.
Yeah, I don't agree with that at all.

Cathalina

When I think of an actor understanding their character the best, I think of Grey's Anatomy. When they paired up George and Izzie, while they had fans, it was a WTF moment for many. Well, the actors did their parts and promoted to an extent. After they left the show they honestly said that it was a WTF moment for them too. So, to an extent, they DID know their characters more but couldn't stop their destruction.

concerned
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
camera shy
Feb 15 2013, 12:01 PM
lysie
Feb 15 2013, 09:36 AM

Well some people have suggested that Rafe and EJ have bascially just switched places and I can see what they mean. And Marlena warning Sami about EJ's dark side showing up one day sounds like if that happens it won't be something Sami will be glad to see. But if she's so in love with his dark side then why warn her about it maybe returning? I
I think it depends on what is meant by "dark side." IMO, it's a matter of degree. I don't think Sami minds (and probably likes) that EJ is willing to do some illegal crap in relation to their business or to take care of their family. I think her fear of Stefano returning is him influencing EJ to do really bad stuff again - R2, Sydnapping, etc.
Stefano didn't influence Ej with the Sydnapping at all, he didn't know about it till a bit after he had done that....that was ALL EJ....and the Rafe2 bit, Ej could have taken himself out of the equation early on, but he chose not too because he specifically said that he wanted his children not to look up to Rafe as a person/father figure/man, whatever...he was just jealous of Johnny/Syd loving this man.....I specifically think that if anything it's proven that EJ can do very nefarious deeds without total influence from Stefano.
Stefano wasnt aware of and didn't support the John Black embezzling stuff.

Stefano was kidnapped when he arranged the Stephanie kidnapping.

Don't think Stefano was vaguely involved with the Will blackmailing.

EJ doesn't do bad stuff because of Stefano, EJ does bad stuff to further his own agenda.

concerned
Member Avatar

Connor Murphy
lysie
I think it's amazing that after all these years, Sweeney still doesn't get her character's family dynamic. Doesn't see Sami as a victim my ass.

I feel as if AS has taken on Sami's view of herself. "I'm a cute fiesty girl who does what I need to do to protect my family / the man I currently love " mantra.

Other actors seem to be able to take a step back (JS . EM, AZ, ED, KA, DH and DH) and go yes this character is completely nuts but that's what makes the show and that's what is interesting about the character whereas AS seems to think the character of Sami is fully justified in all her actions and we should just love her for it because she's so dam cute and fiesty. She doesn't seem to realise that there's a whole wide segment of the audience who thinks Sami i's just a self indulgent, fickle, space cadet who's so caught up in herself she doesn't realise the damage she is doing to everyone around her.

spartan
Member Avatar

concerned
Feb 16 2013, 04:23 PM
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
camera shy
Feb 15 2013, 12:01 PM

I think it depends on what is meant by "dark side." IMO, it's a matter of degree. I don't think Sami minds (and probably likes) that EJ is willing to do some illegal crap in relation to their business or to take care of their family. I think her fear of Stefano returning is him influencing EJ to do really bad stuff again - R2, Sydnapping, etc.

EJ doesn't do bad stuff because of Stefano, EJ does bad stuff to further his own agenda.
Absolutely, EJ does bad stuff to further his own agenda. Who did he learn that from?

Taking the examples you list:

- Do you recall the scene where EJ said the reason why he embezzled money from Basic Black? It was to prove himself to Stefano.

-Didn't EJ have Stephanie kidnapped because they had Stefano?

- I have a hard time putting EJ blackmailing Will into the column of EJ's darker crimes, whether Stefano was present or not, which we know he wasn't. EJ wouldn't have even blackmailed Will to begin with if Will didn't try to blackmail him first.
Edited by spartan, Feb 16 2013, 04:37 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Soap actors don't have a shot in hell of knowing their characters better than fans. This show has had more than 12,000 episodes. There are things done and said about characters in episodes that the characters don't appear in. Things are done and said in scenes they don't appear in. Plus, most actors tend to look at their characters from their perspective only (which is normal). With Sami, some time in the last years, her lies seem to have been suddenly swapped to truth. It goes back and forth and it's probably my biggest frustration with the show over the last few years. Either way, I don't think she's understood her character for a while.

concerned
Member Avatar

Did AS refer to Jennifer as "Whatever"??

I guess she is supposedly a J & J fan so she probably wants to forget about this episode as well.

concerned
Member Avatar

spartan
Feb 16 2013, 04:36 PM
concerned
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

Absolutely, EJ does bad stuff to further his own agenda. Who did he learn that from?

- Do you recall the scene where EJ said the reason why he embezzled money from Basic Black? It was to prove himself to Stefano.

- I have a hard time putting EJ blackmailing Will into the column of EJ's darker crimes, whether Stefano was present or not, which we know he wasn't. EJ wouldn't have even blackmailed Will to begin with if Will didn't try to blackmail him first.
It was to prove himself to Stefano partially but it was mainly to further his agenda of cleaning up the DImera name so that HIS children would be proud of HIM so that HE could get them back because thats what HE wanted.

Yes Stephanie was kidnapped because they had Stefano but there were probably other ways he could have gone about getting Stefano back it was EJ's decision to use that tactic.

My point is EJ will do bad stuff if its going to help him get what he wants, EJ will do good stuff if its going to help him get what he wants. (ie exposing John being kept in the basement by Stefano, saving pregnant Sami from handing over stem cells)

Stefano being there or not being there is irrelevant to whether EJ will do bad stuff.

lysie
Member Avatar

concerned
Feb 16 2013, 04:34 PM
Connor Murphy
lysie

I feel as if AS has taken on Sami's view of herself. "I'm a cute fiesty girl who does what I need to do to protect my family / the man I currently love " mantra.

Other actors seem to be able to take a step back (JS . EM, AZ, ED, KA, DH and DH) and go yes this character is completely nuts but that's what makes the show and that's what is interesting about the character whereas AS seems to think the character of Sami is fully justified in all her actions and we should just love her for it because she's so dam cute and fiesty. She doesn't seem to realise that there's a whole wide segment of the audience who thinks Sami i's just a self indulgent, fickle, space cadet who's so caught up in herself she doesn't realise the damage she is doing to everyone around her.
Joe Maacolo does this too and it drives me absolutely crazy.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

concerned
Feb 16 2013, 04:47 PM
spartan
concerned
LuvingLumi

It was to prove himself to Stefano partially but it was mainly to further his agenda of cleaning up the DImera name so that HIS children would be proud of HIM so that HE could get them back because thats what HE wanted.

Yes Stephanie was kidnapped because they had Stefano but there were probably other ways he could have gone about getting Stefano back it was EJ's decision to use that tactic.

My point is EJ will do bad stuff if its going to help him get what he wants, EJ will do good stuff if its going to help him get what he wants. (ie exposing John being kept in the basement by Stefano, saving pregnant Sami from handing over stem cells)

Stefano being there or not being there is irrelevant to whether EJ will do bad stuff.
So Stefano's return should not affect EJ's behavior.

concerned
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Feb 16 2013, 04:52 PM
concerned
spartan
concerned

So Stefano's return should not affect EJ's behavior.
Correct. If EJ is hunky dory happy with Samanther and doesn't feel like that relationship is being threatened and he needs to go to extra lengths to protect it the return of Stefano will have no impact on his behaviour.

If Stefano comes back swinging a big bat obviously EJ may resort to bad deeds to protect the relationship if that is the thing that he most wants at the moment and bad deeds will happen.

If some other party comes in disrupting his happy nest, if he has to resort to bad deeds he will even if Stefano is still off enjoying Dimera Mansion version 2 (Fimera Fansion?) in a location where italian newspapers are available

spartan
Member Avatar

concerned
spartan
concerned
LuvingLumi

Well, we could go back and forth on the motives for the two crimes, but irregardless I disagree that Stefano is irrelevant to EJ doing bad stuff. Not when that's who he learned it from and as recent as last year was still doing bad stuff to earn his approval and favor.

Stefano doesn't have to be there for EJ to do bad things. I agree on that and I don't see anyone disagreeing with that fact. It matters what is in Sami's mind. Sami knows that Stefano has been the primary influence on why EJ did evil things (not the sole influence mind you). Stefano taught him well. I can't fault her either for feeling more confident in EJ's resolve without Stefano being around. I think she sees EJ's need for Stefano's conditional love as his Achilles heel. Ironically enough, Stefano has given EJ tongue lashing after tongue lashing for letting Sami be his Achilles heel and get in the way of his 'Dimera ways'.

Which is why I am very curious what happens to the EJami dyamic when Stefano does return. They are in unchartered waters when that happens and I hope it is a source of angst for them. Angst they can overcome mind you. ;)

concerned
Member Avatar

See from what I've seen I'ld say Sami has been the primary influence on EJ doing evil things.

I've seen EJ disregard his father's advice/direction multiple times. (keep away from that book keeper anyone?)
Edited by concerned, Feb 16 2013, 05:20 PM.

six
Member Avatar

I'm genuinely surprised by that.

ETA, the thing about Sami.
Edited by six, Feb 16 2013, 05:22 PM.

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

Those 2 are adorable. They have such a good chemistry between them!! No way in Heck TPTB and the actors don't read these boards because we are always talking about how nasty that couch has to be. I really think they should recover that thing or get a new one all together. I am so excited to see what is in store for Ej and Sami, loving this storyline so far!

Thanks for sharing:)

run to me
Member Avatar

They are so adorable. :) Love this interview!!

Sound
Member Avatar

I loved the interview and the interaction but wondered while I was watching it if some, if not all, of it was scripted. Just a thought.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

LuvingLumi
Feb 15 2013, 08:21 AM
^^I'm all for them fucking one another to death, so I don't have to see them on my screen any longer, lol.
What a way to go lol!

I'd totally watch that. :popcorn:

outrageous
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Feb 16 2013, 02:27 PM
Connor Murphy
lysie
not true....usually actors have issues portraying a character that continues to change at the whim of every writing change. JS has expressed this on and off throughout the years himself. Ali Sweeney SHOULD know that Sami seeing her family being opposed to Ej/The DImeras has never stopped the character from actually being with Ej or any Dimera....frankly that was the entire purpose of that intervention at the church before Ejami's black wedding....they tried to stop her (ALL OF THEM) and she didn't care.
AS has expressed her displeasure with the way her character had been written during the Safe period too. She's been lumberjack plaid wearing pod Sami for the last three or four years. She's beyond thrilled that Sami's going back to her formal self. Sami is a villain and AS is happy to go back to some of that. That's probably why she doesn't consider her character as a victim. Actually, I've never considered Sami a victim either, there's been a lot of tit for tat between her and EJ. I think she topped everything he did with the bullet in the head. Only Sami and EJ can look back and laugh about it.

All I'm saying is, Ejami is refreshing to me. IMO her character fits best with him, and why shouldn't AS be happy about finally getting a chance to explore it? They've got a lot of support and if the writers will write Sami and EJ in character and not rehash past storylines, there could be lots of good stuff coming.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply