Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
House of Cards; Netflix original series
Topic Started: Feb 18 2013, 08:30 PM (500 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar

Anybody done? I got a little tired of the fourth wall being broken, but really enjoyed it otherwise. Robin Wright stole it out from under Spacey, in my book.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I couldn't make it past the second episode. Great premise with a really good cast -- I really wanted to like it -- but it failed to pull me in.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Feb 18 2013, 08:30 PM
Anybody done? I got a little tired of the fourth wall being broken, but really enjoyed it otherwise. Robin Wright stole it out from under Spacey, in my book.
Agree that Robin Wright acted circles around Spacey.

Marathoned this over the weekend. Once we got past the filler episode where the library is dedicated to him, it really gained traction.

Biggest problem with the show is that Underwood wants power but is too insecure - that stops him from being truly ruthless. Mayor Kane/Kelsey Grammer from BOSS would have schooled his ass.
Edited by Southofsoap, Mar 20 2013, 04:35 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I finally finished last season. There were a couple slow episodes, but I really enjoyed it. Robin Wright Penn and Kate Mara were my favorites. I'd watch season 2.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I marathoned them over a few graveyard shifts at work. Amazing!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Spoiler: click to toggle

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
Mar 21 2013, 09:07 PM
I marathoned them over a few graveyard shifts at work. Amazing!
How do Canadians watch or am I thinking Netflix is Hulu?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Pay $7 a month. It's open to worldwide subscribers.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Drew
Mar 21 2013, 09:07 PM
And they way they foreshadowed it, in the first scene of the first ep?

Mason

I know I'm late to the party (I usually am), but I gave this show another shot after the Emmy nominations were announced, and I'm glad I did. I got addicted! I was also stunned when
and even before that when

Did anybody else love Janine as much as I did?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Yes.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 8 2013, 08:54 AM
I know I'm late to the party (I usually am), but I gave this show another shot after the Emmy nominations were announced, and I'm glad I did. I got addicted! I was also stunned when
and even before that when

Did anybody else love Janine as much as I did?
Yes and Yes! The first even you refer to is an event that in hindsight was set up practically from the first episode, and yet manages to remain pretty shocking!

Mason

See, I didn't even take that scene from the first episode as foreshadowing. Until the scene that it paralleled happened later in the season, I thought it was simply meant to give us insight into Underwood's character. But I love that it ended up being more than just that!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 10 2013, 09:07 AM
See, I didn't even take that scene from the first episode as foreshadowing. Until the scene that it paralleled happened later in the season, I thought it was simply meant to give us insight into Underwood's character. But I love that it ended up being more than just that!
Lots of stuff that seemed innocuous and character building turned up later. I wonder if Underwood's

Random thoughts:

Also, I loved the Peachoid episode.

And as a former journalist, I hated, hated, hated the way female journalists were portrayed as fucking their sources for information. You see it all the time in fiction. Zoe is the worst journalist ever, though I totally accept that a person carefully cultivating sources and sitting at a desk typing doesn't make for good fiction. Underwood's apparently apolitical nature doesn't have much to do with contemporary politics.

I still don't know what to make of the Origami swan.

I watched some scenes of the original British version on Youtube, and it looked great, too.

Mason

Honeybees
Aug 11 2013, 12:59 PM
Also, I loved the Peachoid episode.
I loved Underwood's speech at the church in that episode.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply