Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Interview with John Aniston and Peggy McCay
Topic Started: Feb 24 2013, 12:45 AM (2,717 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

Matt
Feb 24 2013, 01:03 AM
O.M.G. I'm fucking crying. These two have me in TEARS!

"Well, he’s married now."
"Well, I”m not a fanatic about it. [...] Unfortunately, I think I am."

"They’re still not as much fun as when I tear the bitch apart."

John Aniston FTW!
:roflol:

John Aniston is seriously too funny, hahahaha. Rarely does someone catch me offguard & really make me crack up, but this was line was awesome, lol.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vicky4Mimi

That had to have been a fun interview! Love those 2!

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Quote:

Victor has a lot of funny lines, but he also seems to stick to the misogynistic lines a lot. What are your thoughts on that?
John: Victor’s not a misogynist at all. He just has a very low tolerance for stupid women.

:chee:
I demand these two become writers!

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

lysie
Feb 24 2013, 12:45 AM
Victor’s not a misogynist at all. He just has a very low tolerance for stupid women.
:eyeroll:

am103
Member Avatar

Too funny! I wish they would use John Aniston more. His showdown last week with Chloe reminded me of the Victor of the old Days: an old, misogynistic grump. I loved the "Magic" pairing when it first started, but Maggie has turned Victor into a big cream-puff. Bring Vivian back and pair her permanently with Victor - those two were a hoot!

Serenity 808

Yeah, I loved Magic at first, but Maggie softened Victor up way too much. Victor needs to be with someone like Kate or Vivian. When Vivian returned to Salem a few years ago, I thought she and Victor were great together. Of course, I doubt LS would return to Days, and I can't say I'd blame her.

Well, at least we had a few Victor/Caroline scenes in the past few months, and they've been terrific. PM and JA still have the chemistry after all these years.

annie21

Supergirlx2
Feb 24 2013, 01:05 AM
AFaithL
Feb 24 2013, 01:04 AM
Peeling potatoes. LOL
when was Victor supposedly peeling potatoes & with who (or why)?
It was Thanksgiving 2011 (MarDar). There were several scenes in the Kiriakis Mansion with Maggie, Victor, Daniel, Melanie. Victor was wearing a bulky sweater and complaining about having to help cook the dinner. And I'm almost positive that while he was doing the grumbling, he was sitting at the table and peeling potatoes. But maybe they were just teasing him about having done so. In any case, many of us were struck by the jarring notion of the villainous Victor having been reduced to such mundane tasks.

This was a fun interview. TFP!

Sparrow

I just can't with Victor, with the stupid bitches sluts and whores. Those words are 'n' word territory for me (in that I don't use them and hearing them is like a slap in the face.) It doesn't make him a loveable old crank to me. It makes him seem like a bitter old curmudgeon being nasty to the nurse trying to feed him his oatmeal. I'd always thought his devotion to Carolyn and to Kate was sweet (while it lasted), but between his ugliness and the irritating rash that is Maggie there's not much to enjoy about good old Victor these days.

Alana
Member Avatar

annie21
Feb 25 2013, 02:37 PM
Supergirlx2
AFaithL
Peeling potatoes. LOL
It was Thanksgiving 2011 (MarDar). There were several scenes in the Kiriakis Mansion with Maggie, Victor, Daniel, Melanie. Victor was wearing a bulky sweater and complaining about having to help cook the dinner. And I'm almost positive that while he was doing the grumbling, he was sitting at the table and peeling potatoes. But maybe they were just teasing him about having done so. In any case, many of us were struck by the jarring notion of the villainous Victor having been reduced to such mundane tasks.

I could swear that I saw Victor peeling potatoes in Maggie's kitchen...or was I / still am hallucinating???

No wonder JA was trying to block this incident out.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

Great interview!!! Thanks for posting.

annie21

Alana
Feb 25 2013, 04:27 PM
annie21
Supergirlx2
AFaithL
Peeling potatoes. LOL

I could swear that I saw Victor peeling potatoes in Maggie's kitchen...or was I / still am hallucinating???

Yes, you're right. It was Maggie's kitchen, not the Kiriakis mansion kitchen. And Victor wasn't wearing a sweater, but rather a business suit. However, we were right about the potatoes!

Here's the YT clip. At around 8:55 Victor complains about tearing bread into little pieces so Maggie hands him a bag of potatoes and tells "Mr. Spud" to get busy. Later, at 14:04, we see Victor actually peeling said potatoes. That moment would make a great screenshot, but I don't know how to post it here. Can't embed the clip either, but here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZruTRArTUY

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

annie21
Feb 26 2013, 02:35 AM
Alana
Feb 25 2013, 04:27 PM
annie21
Supergirlx2

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Yes, you're right. It was Maggie's kitchen, not the Kiriakis mansion kitchen. And Victor wasn't wearing a sweater, but rather a business suit. However, we were right about the potatoes!

Here's the YT clip. At around 8:55 Victor complains about tearing bread into little pieces so Maggie hands him a bag of potatoes and tells "Mr. Spud" to get busy. Later, at 14:04, we see Victor actually peeling said potatoes. That moment would make a great screenshot, but I don't know how to post it here. Can't embed the clip either, but here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZruTRArTUY

Posted Image

justforfun

Awesome interview. Love JA.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Double post.
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Feb 26 2013, 01:16 PM.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Victor is not a misogynist but he reaches for misogynistic insults with ease. I enjoy watching Victor give someone who's behaving ridiculously a dressing down - whether that's men like Brady, Philip or Bo or women like Nicole or Chloe - but he's definitely an old slut-shamer from way back. I think he holds the women he loves/respects in very high esteem though, so I can't call him an across-the-board misogynist. (A misogynist to the core, for instance, wouldn't want or trust Madison, a woman, to run the multinational corporation he built with his own hands.) With Vic, I'm either wincing or lol'ing.
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Feb 26 2013, 01:19 PM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I think sexist might be a better word for Victor than misogynist, but then I don't care about semantics debates and if someone wanted to argue that slut-shaming is inherently misogynistic I wouldn't argue (you're still holding women hostage to a certain standard of sexual expression blah blah blah). And I don't think that you can use sexist/misogynistic insults but get off the hook for not really meaning it; if you don't mean it in a sexist/misogynistic way, then use an ungendered/asexual insult instead.

Which is not to say I don't appreciate Victor's character the way it is (or should be). He's always been my favorite long-term villain, and I miss the Victor that had an edge and bite. But let's not say he isn't what he is :laugh: He's actually a villain, it's okay for him to have traits that I abhor (and also why the magic of Magic doesn't exist, for me).

granolagirl
Member Avatar

JessicaLeigh
Feb 26 2013, 01:16 PM
but he's definitely an old slut-shamer from way back. I think he holds the women he loves/respects in very high esteem though
Virgin/whore dynamic. You're either on a pedestal with Victor or hitching up your skirt in an alleyway.

annie21

Victor used to be truly villainous, and he didn't need to use crude language to do it. I don't like the hateful terms for women either, but I chalk it up to lazy writing. The writers resort too quickly to having Victor use those terms as a shortcut to saying he's bad because they don't want to give us a Victor who is actually being bad.

Of course, the problem with that is too many people in Salem talk the same way. When you have the likes of Jennifer, Abby, and Marlena saying "bitch" as often as -- or more often than -- the resident bad guy, it's a problem. In any case, Victor comes across better when he sticks to his snappy one-liners and humorous put-downs sans epithets.

By the way, I'm not so prudish as to not appreciate the occasional well-placed curse word. I'm just saying when it gets to the point where everyone in town is using the same put-downs for each other, it loses dramatic effect and makes all the characters start to sound alike (a general problem on this show.)

Now, if they made Victor find out he has Tourette's or something, that might be a different (and more interesting) story. :)

Edited by annie21, Feb 26 2013, 11:53 PM.

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Feb 26 2013, 03:38 PM
JessicaLeigh
Feb 26 2013, 01:16 PM
but he's definitely an old slut-shamer from way back. I think he holds the women he loves/respects in very high esteem though
Virgin/whore dynamic. You're either on a pedestal with Victor or hitching up your skirt in an alleyway.
Exactly. That's what I was going for but it didn't come out as concisely (it never does). :P

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Feb 26 2013, 03:22 PM
I think sexist might be a better word for Victor than misogynist, but then I don't care about semantics debates and if someone wanted to argue that slut-shaming is inherently misogynistic I wouldn't argue (you're still holding women hostage to a certain standard of sexual expression blah blah blah). And I don't think that you can use sexist/misogynistic insults but get off the hook for not really meaning it; if you don't mean it in a sexist/misogynistic way, then use an ungendered/asexual insult instead.
Agree with all of this. The meanings of the terms aren't exactly the same and 'casually sexist' is probably a better description of Victor. I got curious after reading your post and randomly typed 'sexist vs misogynist' into Google and came up with an article discussing the differences. I tend to agree with someone who was quoted for it: "While sexism demonstrates a disregard and disrespect for women, I always have associated misogyny with something darker, angrier, and more cynical." Though Victor's hurled some pretty biting gender-based insults, somehow it wouldn't surprise me if the character were surprised/bemused to find himself accused of misogyny (which is not to excuse any of the more vile things he says).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply