Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday, March 1st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 1 2013, 07:31 AM (14,695 Views)
six
Member Avatar

Cathalina
Mar 1 2013, 11:00 PM
Guessgirl, and herein lies the rub for me with this storyline. Yes, Nick is homophobic, but beyond that he makes more sense than the rest of them put together with maybe the exceptions of Lucas and Sonny. Will, Sami, and the rest of the Brady's have been very entitled when it comes to the law and most of their crimes were done in cold blood. Nick killed Trent, a straight out villain who attacked Melanie at the time, and he paid for it. Sorry Sami, not everyone's daddy is in charge of the Salem PD.
I don't think Nick comes out on top when his crimes are compared to Will's. Both of them tried to kill villains. Will was young and Nick was on pills. He allowed Caroline (and possibly other people - I don't remember) to be arrested. He manipulated Melanie into thinking she was the killer so that she'd be dependent on him, then he kidnapped and assaulted her. She could have been killed. Nick did serve his time, but only because he got caught.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

That's one of the things I love best about this story - there's no clear right and wrong. The main antagonists in the story (Sami and Nick) aren't mustache twirlers. They are certainy flawed (Nick with his homophobic and controlling ways, and Sami with her self-centered and overly aggressive ways) but also have the sympathetic motivation of trying to protect their loved ones. And the two main victims (Gabi and Will) aren't Mary Sues. They're definitely being harmed by their well-intentioned loved ones, but they also have their own criminal pasts and spineless ways that don't make them entirely sympathetic. I love that. They all feel like real, layered characters. That leaves me alternately feeling bad for or being annoyed by any of them on a given day.

six
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 10:21 AM
six
Mar 2 2013, 10:11 AM
Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 08:33 AM
six
Mar 2 2013, 08:23 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
But what Nick has failed to prove is that Will somehow doesn't deserve to share custody of the child he loves. So, Will comes from a family of jerks. Will is not responsible for Sami's actions, and there's absolutely no legal or moral reason - including the EJ shooting - for Will to give up or lose custody of a child he loves. People who have committed crimes do not lose parental right to their children unless they have abused or neglected those children.

There is no moral high ground in taking a child that doesn't belong to you, especially since you could easily work out a custody agreement. It didn't make sense when Sami and Rafe did it to EJ. Didn't make sense when Nicole did it to Sami. And none of those characters acted out of homophobia.
Whoa, don't misunderstand - I'm not saying Nick is right to take the child; . I'm saying that he's making good points by reminding Will that he's going to be bringing his daughter into a very dysfunctional family - one who Nick, kind of understandably, believes already endangered her before she's even made it out of the womb. And when a character is telling the truth about something, that does mean they're not a completely evil mustache twirling villain. I believed that Sami raised good points about keeping the kids from EJ and that he raised good points about keeping the kids from her; but as in this story, that doesn't mean I approve of the character using blackmail or lies of omission to make it happen.
I'm confused by your post. Are you saying Will should give his child to Nick or consider giving his child to Nick, the blackmailer, because Will's family is dysfunctional? Is your problem with Nick's blackmailing not his wanting to take possession of a child that isn't his, whose motives are being portrayed as much about homophobia as his belief that Will's family is somehow dysfunctional?

I believe it's noble to give a child you're not ready to raise up for legal adoption, to be sure. But I maintain that Will should not be forced to give up his child because of his sexuality, because of mistakes he made in his past, because of his mother's behavior or because his family is dysfunctional. If Will wants to be a father to his child, there is no reason why he shouldn't be.

If Will were to give up his child for adoption, he would have every right to specify that the adoptive parent not be a homophobe.

edited to add: Rereading your post, it seems you aren't endorsing what Nick is doing. However, I still maintain that taking a person's child against their will, where there is no evidence that the person is abusive or neglectful or will be, is cold and evil.
Let me be clear - I do NOT support Nick's homophobia. You keep referencing this, so I'd like to point out that Nick's homophobia was not one of the things that I said kept him from being completely unsympathetic.

No, I do not support what Nick is doing. I don't think Will should give up his daughter, let alone to people like Nabi. I do think Nick has some valid points about the people that the child is going to be exposed to if Will raises her.

Edited by six, Mar 2 2013, 11:23 AM.

Cathalina

six
Mar 2 2013, 10:33 AM
Cathalina
Guessgirl, and herein lies the rub for me with this storyline. Yes, Nick is homophobic, but beyond that he makes more sense than the rest of them put together with maybe the exceptions of Lucas and Sonny. Will, Sami, and the rest of the Brady's have been very entitled when it comes to the law and most of their crimes were done in cold blood. Nick killed Trent, a straight out villain who attacked Melanie at the time, and he paid for it. Sorry Sami, not everyone's daddy is in charge of the Salem PD.
I don't think Nick comes out on top when his crimes are compared to Will's. Both of them tried to kill villains. Will was young and Nick was on pills. He allowed Caroline (and possibly other people - I don't remember) to be arrested. He manipulated Melanie into thinking she was the killer so that she'd be dependent on him, then he kidnapped and assaulted her. She could have been killed. Nick did serve his time, but only because he got caught.
At the time, Nick was addicted to prescription pain meds which he was given after his injuries sustained saving Melanie. Yeesh, MelaMe, the gift that keeps on giving!

six
Member Avatar

Cathalina
Mar 2 2013, 10:59 AM
six
Cathalina
At the time, Nick was addicted to prescription pain meds which he was given after his injuries sustained saving Melanie. Yeesh, MelaMe, the gift that keeps on giving!
I know, which is why I included that in the post, lol. Will wasn't on drugs, but he was a young teen who was under an incredible amount of stress at the time.

deVour

Lanemack
Mar 1 2013, 10:11 PM
KMan101
Mar 1 2013, 09:30 PM
six
Mar 1 2013, 03:31 PM
My frustration with Will overshadowed my feelings about the rest of the scenes he was in. I've reached my limit for watching him stand there like a mute with a blank look on his face while his mother, father and boyfriend fight his battle. I do understand that he's confused and torn and that the show had him keep quiet so that they could make a cliffhanger out of his decision, but that didn't make it any easier to watch. I am glad he finally stood up for Sonny, though.
YES!

THANK YOU!

I so agree.

Chandler HAS to up his game. This blank look/mute thing is getting old quick.
SO, SO agree with ya'll. Will stood there, with custody of his CHILD on the line, all dumbfounded and, well, emotionless. Blake Berris is crazy and interesting to watch and his presence desperately overshadows young William. Hard to believe that a character so passionate-less could be the offspring of Lucas and Sami. Maybe Rafe is Will's real daddy... ;)
If Will starts punching out refrigerators, you could be on to something ...

Cathalina

six
Mar 2 2013, 11:07 AM
Cathalina
Mar 2 2013, 10:59 AM
six
Cathalina
I know, which is why I included that in the post, lol. Will wasn't on drugs, but he was a young teen who was under an incredible amount of stress at the time.
I know. I did post that though just to clarify HOW Nick's addiction came about. And to post my favorite theory- How MelaMe is/was the root of all evil.

Dee-anne

I thoroughly enjoyed Nick's(BB) performance. Will came with all his people behind him, and Nick was not phased in the least. Everything he said to them was just truth and to the point, so they had nothing to come back with. I couldn't help it, I felt so proud of him. I suppose he will lose in the end because despite how dysfunctional Will's family is, The baby is Will's and nothing he does can change that but, Nick certainly keeps this baby story interesting. And anyone that can lay into Sami and leave her with nothing to say, is my hero. I enjoy Will whenever he does as well. C.M/B.B are good at it.
Edited by Dee-anne, Mar 2 2013, 11:24 AM.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Dee-anne
Mar 2 2013, 11:20 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed Nick's(BB) performance. Will came with all his people behind him, and Nick was not phased in the least. Everything he said to them was just truth and to the point, so they had nothing to come back with. I couldn't help it, I felt so proud of him. I suppose he will lose in the end because despite how dysfunctional Will's family is, The baby is Will's and nothing he does can change that but, Nick certainly keeps this baby story interesting. And anyone that can lay into Sami and leave her with nothing to say, is my hero. I enjoy Will whenever he does as well. C.M/B.B are good at it.
One thing Nick said was not the truth. He said the one constant was his love and support for Gabi. He wasn't loving or supporting of Gabi when he thought the child she was carrying was Chad's. I recall some choice words he had for her then. It was only when he found out the child was Will's that he became obsessed with marrying Gabi and raising the child.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

So.... essentially Nick was kinda like Nighttime Nick? Did he have a bumpit?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dee-anne

Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 12:48 PM
Dee-anne
One thing Nick said was not the truth. He said the one constant was his love and support for Gabi. He wasn't loving or supporting of Gabi when he thought the child she was carrying was Chad's. I recall some choice words he had for her then. It was only when he found out the child was Will's that he became obsessed with marrying Gabi and raising the child.

What did he say to her? Did he disown her, or said he wanted nothing more to do with her since she is carrying Chad's child, then changed his mind when he found out that it was Will's. I haven't seen those scenes. I thought he was always interested in Gabi no matter what. What exactly happened why you think he stopped loving her for those moments. Just because you are angry with someone you love, it does not automatically mean that you stop loving that person.

It is entirely possible that Nick is just obsessed with Gabi, or just desperate for a family of his own, but all I have seen so far is him protecting Gabi and trying to do what is best for him and Gabi. It is also nice that he is there to defend her. I haven't paid attention much to this baby story, because as far as I am concerned, Nick and Sami should just butt out and let the decisions be between Will and Gabi but, I guess the writers wanted drama, so that's why we have scenes with Sami ranting at Gabi for no good reason, and me wishing Someone would just smack her and tell her to shut up.

six
Member Avatar

Dee-anne
Agreed for the most part. I'm not disappointed that Nick is going to lose, but while I enjoy most of the people in Will's camp, their lives are trainwrecks, for the most part and they should have to face the truth every once in awhile. And yes, Nick is just as bad as everyone else is, but that doesn't invalidate the truth of what he had to say.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Dee-anne
Mar 2 2013, 01:13 PM
Honeybees
Dee-anne

What did he say to her? Did he disown her, or said he wanted nothing more to do with her since she is carrying Chad's child, then changed his mind when he found out that it was Will's. I haven't seen those scenes. I thought he was always interested in Gabi no matter what. What exactly happened why you think he stopped loving her for those moments. Just because you are angry with someone you love, it does not automatically mean that you stop loving that person.

It is entirely possible that Nick is just obsessed with Gabi, or just desperate for a family of his own, but all I have seen so far is him protecting Gabi and trying to do what is best for him and Gabi. It is also nice that he is there to defend her. I haven't paid attention much to this baby story, because as far as I am concerned, Nick and Sami should just butt out and let the decisions be between Will and Gabi but, I guess the writers wanted drama, so that's why we have scenes with Sami ranting at Gabi for no good reason, and me wishing Someone would just smack her and tell her to shut up.
He went beyond wanting nothing to do with her, but that was certainly part of it. I don't recall the exact words, but he basically called her a lying, using slut and was raging at her when Will intervened and owned up to being the baby's father. Then, Nick turned on a dime. But they were not the words or actions of a man who loved a woman unconditionally.

six
Member Avatar

deVour
Mar 2 2013, 11:09 AM
Lanemack
Mar 1 2013, 10:11 PM
KMan101
Mar 1 2013, 09:30 PM
six
Mar 1 2013, 03:31 PM
My frustration with Will overshadowed my feelings about the rest of the scenes he was in. I've reached my limit for watching him stand there like a mute with a blank look on his face while his mother, father and boyfriend fight his battle. I do understand that he's confused and torn and that the show had him keep quiet so that they could make a cliffhanger out of his decision, but that didn't make it any easier to watch. I am glad he finally stood up for Sonny, though.
YES!

THANK YOU!

I so agree.

Chandler HAS to up his game. This blank look/mute thing is getting old quick.
SO, SO agree with ya'll. Will stood there, with custody of his CHILD on the line, all dumbfounded and, well, emotionless. Blake Berris is crazy and interesting to watch and his presence desperately overshadows young William. Hard to believe that a character so passionate-less could be the offspring of Lucas and Sami. Maybe Rafe is Will's real daddy... ;)
If Will starts punching out refrigerators, you could be on to something ...
My theory is that he belongs to Austin.

Dee-anne

Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 01:24 PM
Dee-anne
Honeybees
Dee-anne

He went beyond wanting nothing to do with her, but that was certainly part of it. I don't recall the exact words, but he basically called her a lying, using slut and was raging at her when Will intervened and owned up to being the baby's father. Then, Nick turned on a dime. But they were not the words or actions of a man who loved a woman unconditionally.
I just watched the scene. I was actually feeling sorry for Nick. He thought Gabi lied to him and was playing him all the time. He thought everything she told him before was all a lie and he no longer believed that she loved him. I could clearly see why he thought that. He was basically the last to know that she was pregnant. He thought her baby was Chad's and when Chad came to the door, he opened it and said, to Gabi to tell him that he is the baby's father or he (Nick) will. Gaby only had to shed a few tears, tell him again he was the one she loved and not to do this, and Nick melted. He stopped insisting for her to tell Chad.

He did call her a liar but, at no time did he call her a using slut.

This is Nick who called Sami a bitch, which she richly deserved but, he apologised for it. Couldn't see him calling Gabi a slut.

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm very sorry to all of you who enjoyed today's show. Because I did, too. #cancellationisimminent
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Dee-anne
Mar 2 2013, 02:22 PM
Honeybees
Dee-anne
Honeybees

I just watched the scene. I was actually feeling sorry for Nick. He thought Gabi lied to him and was playing him all the time. He thought everything she told him before was all a lie and he no longer believed that she loved him. I could clearly see why he thought that. He was basically the last to know that she was pregnant. He thought her baby was Chad's and when Chad came to the door, he opened it and said, to Gabi to tell him that he is the baby's father or he (Nick) will. Gaby only had to shed a few tears, tell him again he was the one she loved and not to do this, and Nick melted. He stopped insisting for her to tell Chad.

This is Nick who called Sami a bitch, which she richly deserved but, he apologised for it. Couldn't see him calling Gabi a slut.
He only made her cry a little bit? Shame on me for thinking he's a dick. But of course, when a man yells at you, puts you down and calls you a liar - it's only out of love! And after all, when a man accuses us of lying and makes us cry when we're pregnant, well, then, it's him who deserves the pity!

Gabi's crime was finding herself pregnant and telling the father first. Shame! Shame!

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I actually watched this episode because of all the buzz here.

Nick, Will, and Lucas remembering that they're all family? Check!
Someone pointing out that the dirt over Jack's grave hasn't even settled yet? Check!
Golden Vajayjay Sami finally acting like Samantha Gene Brady? Triple freaking check.

So many things have been wrong on this show and I would like to personally thank the writer who addressed nearly every.single.one.

Dee-anne

Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 02:45 PM
Dee-anne
Honeybees
Dee-anne

He only made her cry a little bit? Shame on me for thinking he's a dick. But of course, when a man yells at you, puts you down and calls you a liar - it's only out of love! And after all, when a man accuses us of lying and makes us cry when we're pregnant, well, then, it's him who deserves the pity!

Gabi's crime was finding herself pregnant and telling the father first. Shame! Shame!
He didn't yell at her, nor did he intentionally go out of his way to make her cry.

Nick was the one that insisted she get a check up at the hospital when she fainted. Gabi did not want to go. Then he finds out from Sami that she was pregnant. Later Rafe comes in to confirm that he knew as well. Gabi and Nick are the ones in a relationship yet he has to find out second hand. He knew nothing about Will being the father. Then he wrongly thought that she was going to abort the child and not tell him. He knew that child was not his, and automatically assumed that it was Chad's. I perfectly understand where he was coming from, and I do not fault him for telling her how he felt and what he percieved in his mind to be going on. By speaking what was on his mind, Gabi was able to correct him.

I saw nothing wrong with the conversation he had with Gabi, and I would not draw from that, that he did not love her. It was more that he thought she did not love him and was playing him.

Cathalina

Honeybees
Mar 2 2013, 02:45 PM
Dee-anne
Honeybees
Dee-anne

Considering that currently were supposed to swallow that rape and violence were pretty much only foreplay in a supposedly epic love story, Nick in that scene was an angel.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply