Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 3/4
Topic Started: Mar 4 2013, 07:47 AM (27,560 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Mar 9 2013, 02:11 AM
Jason47
Mar 9 2013, 01:40 AM
magicsteacher
Mar 8 2013, 09:26 PM
I get the whole taping ahead to save money thing, but 4 months ahead... really Days?? That is just beyond ridiculous. Christmas is July is going to become a reality if this keeps up.
With the 22 episodes on average taped per month, they should be staying on the 4-months ahead schedule for awhile:

MARCH: Taping through around 12135 (airing through 7/25)

APRIL: Taping from around 12136-12157 (airing 7/26-8/26)

MAY: Taping from around 12158-12179 (airing 8/27-9/26)
thanks for the numbers, Jason.

I think that they could push their "ahead" time back to 2.5 months (and push it closer to 3 just before they go dark for 2 weeks) and still stick to taping an average of 22 episodes per month. At this point, 3 months ahead would be more reasonable than 4. If anything, I believe that them being even further ahead than they already were is going to hurt them more in the end. By the time anything airs, people have completely forgotten about any tweets/pictures the actors may have tweeted and any potential hype has disappeared. Also, by the time new storylines and pairings finally air and TPTB get viewer feedback, they've already written about 6 months of the story, and there's no way to nip it in the butt and change its direction if there's overwhelming negative response. As a result, the ratings would suffer, which could prove deadly.
I'm not sure why it matters if people forget what the actors tweet. The show doesn't need twitter to hold onto viewers. Also I have never understood this big shock that they are three months ahead, or like now four months ahead. They started this taping schedule in 2009, it has taken them four years to get four months ahead (and that's counting in the two week olympic break, which the taping never took) , so all these exaggerations about them taping Christmas 2014 in July or whatever are really silly.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

GH is great. People come in and block tape and it totally ruins the pacing, but most of the veterans returning are working for scale pay. Jack Wagner's return has probably been the worst and most obvious in this case. But when episodes like Wednesday and Thursday come together it makes it all worth it. Some of the best soap and centered around every returning vet. I only WISH DAYS would put nearly that much effort into their show. Can't wait to see who comes back for DAYS' 50th. Oh, no one. This show has no good will with its actors. Lets hope they have writers by then who actually know the history of the show and can have actors willing to sacrifice to be on the show for the big run.
Online Profile Goto Top

michr544125

Sindacco
Mar 9 2013, 07:40 AM
Supergirlx2
Mar 9 2013, 02:11 AM
Jason47
Mar 9 2013, 01:40 AM
magicsteacher
Mar 8 2013, 09:26 PM
I get the whole taping ahead to save money thing, but 4 months ahead... really Days?? That is just beyond ridiculous. Christmas is July is going to become a reality if this keeps up.
With the 22 episodes on average taped per month, they should be staying on the 4-months ahead schedule for awhile:

MARCH: Taping through around 12135 (airing through 7/25)

APRIL: Taping from around 12136-12157 (airing 7/26-8/26)

MAY: Taping from around 12158-12179 (airing 8/27-9/26)
thanks for the numbers, Jason.

I think that they could push their "ahead" time back to 2.5 months (and push it closer to 3 just before they go dark for 2 weeks) and still stick to taping an average of 22 episodes per month. At this point, 3 months ahead would be more reasonable than 4. If anything, I believe that them being even further ahead than they already were is going to hurt them more in the end. By the time anything airs, people have completely forgotten about any tweets/pictures the actors may have tweeted and any potential hype has disappeared. Also, by the time new storylines and pairings finally air and TPTB get viewer feedback, they've already written about 6 months of the story, and there's no way to nip it in the butt and change its direction if there's overwhelming negative response. As a result, the ratings would suffer, which could prove deadly.
I'm not sure why it matters if people forget what the actors tweet. The show doesn't need twitter to hold onto viewers. Also I have never understood this big shock that they are three months ahead, or like now four months ahead. They started this taping schedule in 2009, it has taken them four years to get four months ahead (and that's counting in the two week olympic break, which the taping never took) , so all these exaggerations about them taping Christmas 2014 in July or whatever are really silly.
I disagree. In this type of genre actors interacting with fans about their show creates buzz many times. There are some fans that may see an actor tweet about being excited abut a story and decide to tune back in. Sure, good writing trumps all but I do think actors interacting with fans helps. I know it's dumb but sometimes when an actor/actress doesn't even show the slightest interest in his/her story it makes me wonder why I should be so excited, especially when they use twitter to tweet but it's never in relation to the show. With them taping so ahead it makes it difficult. When they tweet about stuff coming up in 4 months it sounds exciting now but people probably forget by the time it airs. Same thing with interviews. They do interviews about stories and I think they forget what they taped and sometimes it sounds so much better on paper than how it plays out.
Edited by michr544125, Mar 9 2013, 11:44 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

Without hard proof to the contrary, I will never be convinced that a 4-month ahead shooting schedule is so much more economical than the 2 or 2.5-month advance schedule they had in 2011. While I initially understood that there were financial savings in condensing the shooting schedule and having down time in order to be able to shift sets around, no one has shown that there is any additional economy of scale to keep pushing it further and further ahead. Meanwhile, the cast and crew are pushed to churn out product faster and faster -- with only one take. Quality can't help but take a hit in that situation. Others on this board and elsewhere have pointed out several other disadvantages.

My point is that I disagree with those who say this is something we all have to put up with in order to keep the show on the air. There is a law of diminishing returns at play here. While the initial lead time might have made economic sense, it now has gotten out of hand. The incremental benefit gets smaller and smaller while the negatives that were there all along in using this approach are starting to get more pronounced. The executives may be slapping themselves on the back and congratulating each other, but it's going to come back to bite them at some point.

Offline Profile Goto Top

anya
Member Avatar

I am fine with a condensed shooting schedule if that is what it takes to stay on the air. BUT, they could easily go dark for a longer period of time now and then and get number of months they are ahead down at this point. Unless there is something with contracts and payroll that prevents that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

nbcdays: RT @Ali_Sweeney #DAYS ;) thx!! i love her. RT @everj0sh: Sami is my favorite person ever @Ali_Sweeney
https://twitter.com/nbcdays/status/310472644128538624

was the retweet really necessary, Days??
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhilipCanDoBetter
Member Avatar

What's so goody goody about Sami? What about other characters? Smh!
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

annie21
Mar 9 2013, 12:39 PM
Without hard proof to the contrary, I will never be convinced that a 4-month ahead shooting schedule is so much more economical than the 2 or 2.5-month advance schedule they had in 2011. While I initially understood that there were financial savings in condensing the shooting schedule and having down time in order to be able to shift sets around, no one has shown that there is any additional economy of scale to keep pushing it further and further ahead. Meanwhile, the cast and crew are pushed to churn out product faster and faster -- with only one take. Quality can't help but take a hit in that situation. Others on this board and elsewhere have pointed out several other disadvantages.

Agreed. The "one take" part of it probably can't be helped, but I've never seen a good explanation why they can't have more dark time. I know GH shoots on an accelerated schedule, too. Any show that is shooting faster than 5 episodes a week has to manage its lead time, but Days is the only one that seems to creep further and further ahead.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DawnElicia
Member Avatar

Jason47
Mar 9 2013, 01:32 AM
DawnElicia
Mar 8 2013, 10:17 PM
I have a question for Jason do you know when we will see EJ and Samantha with their children. I find it curious they have a new sydney and they only showed her once so far.
Me Jason?

Don't know when Sydney will be popping up next. Terrell (Theo) usually posts all his upcoming airdates on IMDB, but the other kids don't.
Yes you. You seem to know so much i was i thought you may know when they would show Sydney again. Thanks for answering.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jwsel
Member Avatar

I don't understand shooting this far ahead either. I understand that shooting ahead of time gives more time for post production and editing, so that is a cost savings (no rush jobs or overtime). But as people have pointed out, 2-3 months has to be sufficient. And as we all know, shooting far ahead has huge downsides because it: (1) makes it impossible to change bad storylines or fix other problems; and (2) removes a lot of the excitement over casting (because the announcement is usually months before the actor appears and/or any short-term runs are over or ending by the time the character appears).

The only possible benefit I can see of continuing increasing the lead time is if the show were actually ending. With more episodes in the can, TPTB could end production earlier, cut staff, sell equipment, terminate leases (if they have an option to do so), etc. That would save money. But I would think there would be more rumors if that were happening, and I don't think that is what is happening.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

If the biggest disadvantage of shooting 4 months ahead is the inability to respond to fans' complaints then Days have nothing to worry about because they don't listen to fans anyway. Proof in point is last weeks tweets indicating that Dannifer will still be together come June.
Offline Profile Goto Top

WillFan
Member Avatar

Lauren Koslow@laurenkoslow
@Nathanjowens happy birthday fellow #Pisces ❌⭕������
https://twitter.com/laurenkoslow/status/310524215092707329

:birthday: Lauren Koslow who turned 60 years old today.
Edited by WillFan, Mar 9 2013, 07:21 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Mar 9 2013, 02:40 PM
nbcdays: RT @Ali_Sweeney #DAYS ;) thx!! i love her. RT @everj0sh: Sami is my favorite person ever @Ali_Sweeney

Idk but there went the theory that it was just because it was her month.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

WillFan
Mar 9 2013, 07:21 PM
Lauren Koslow@laurenkoslow
@Nathanjowens happy birthday fellow #Pisces ❌⭕������
https://twitter.com/laurenkoslow/status/310524215092707329

:birthday: Lauren Koslow who turned 60 years old today.
WHAT? she's 60 yrs old?! OMG. she looks so MUCH younger!
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I have no clue what AS is like as a person, but I do tend to think that soap fans get to enjoy a level of closeness to their celebrities (real or illusory) that's kind of ... scary.

ETA: And now I see that 7 pages later this conversation is not being had any more, so sorry I'm late :(
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Mar 9 2013, 10:35 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2

Aww, that's cute.

Days has RTed similar tweets from fans loving certain characters/actors. It's not particular to AS, though it may feel that way here.
Offline Profile Goto Top

michr544125

JamaicanBeauty7
Mar 10 2013, 04:25 AM
Supergirlx2

Aww, that's cute.

Days has RTed similar tweets from fans loving certain characters/actors. It's not particular to AS, though it may feel that way here.
Right, it's not just Ejami tweets they RT. They also RT about Wilson all the time and others. Maybe the show just gets more positive tweets form Wilson and Ejami fans?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

michr544125
Mar 10 2013, 06:44 AM
JamaicanBeauty7
Supergirlx2

Aww, that's cute.

Right, it's not just Ejami tweets they RT. They also RT about Wilson all the time and others. Maybe the show just gets more positive tweets form Wilson and Ejami fans?
I've noticed that EJami fans and Wilson fans bring the happy and positive when they like what they see, and so I think the show wants to promote that. I know they are committed to Wilson, but the show has such a wild history of switching Sami pairings, I'll never be convinced they've settled on one. I'd also like to know if the twitter account is run in any consistent way or if it's just manned by some interns who like Ejami and Wilson and have been told to retweet the positive.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

nbctwitter even they had postive stuff on sami other pairings on show and tweets sent to them they still tweet the most about ej its call being bias and most stuff they tweet about jennifer is always been about daniffer

it least they stop 9 out of 10 tweet on nbctwitter to be all about ej
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

michr544125
Mar 10 2013, 06:44 AM
JamaicanBeauty7
Supergirlx2

Aww, that's cute.

I've also seen them RT or respond to Rate and Dannifer related tweets.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic