Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for Week of February 25th- March 1st
Topic Started: Mar 8 2013, 01:48 AM (3,111 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

Well, I'm not surprised Presidents Day & the snowstorm bumped up the ratings. If that holds, this coming week should be pretty good given all the snow everyone had circa Tues-Weds-Thurs.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outrageous
Member Avatar

I think the ratings are still good for Days. A year ago a 1.8 was the highest number, and that was actually consistent for the past three years.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Compare anything to shit and it seems good. A spoiled turkey sandwich or shit? Spoiled sandwich doesn't seem bad.

You are supposed to compare it to the best not the worse. You had room to grow.
Edited by Aliaron, Mar 10 2013, 09:44 AM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

No, DAYS cannot expect to compete with Y&R and they really can't expect to compete with B&B. Those shows have at least 2x the budget AND amazing promotion. I don't even know if there is a head of NBC Daytime, but if they exist they are totally anonymous, it seems. You never hear from them. Angelica McDaniel, the head of CBS Daytime is a promotion machine. Top to bottom CBS Daytime is dominant and it has a lot to do with her. Someone comes back for a day on Y&R its all over EW.com, THR, etc. Someone has a contract dispute on Y&R its all over the place. Its silly to think DAYS can just grow on its own with no promotion, no budget, no real person in charge to promote the show. Comparing it to Y&R is ridiculous.

The show is really in good shape with these ratings, its beating a lot (most of) NBC's primetime lineup on a shoestring budget so how could they cancel it? They can't. All DAYS needs to be compared to is itself and its own ratings history.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Mar 10 2013, 01:33 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

DiMeraFan67
Mar 10 2013, 01:00 PM
No, DAYS cannot expect to compete with Y&R and they really can't expect to compete with B&B. Those shows have at least 2x the budget AND amazing promotion. I don't even know if there is a head of NBC Daytime, but if they exist they are totally anonymous, it seems. You never hear from them. Angelica McDaniel, the head of CBS Daytime is a promotion machine. Top to bottom CBS Daytime is dominant and it has a lot to do with her. Someone comes back for a day on Y&R its all over EW.com, THR, etc. Someone has a contract dispute on Y&R its all over the place. Its silly to think DAYS can just grow on its own with no promotion, no budget, no real person in charge to promote the show. Comparing it to Y&R is ridiculous.

The show is really in good shape with these ratings, its beating a lot (most of) NBC's primetime lineup on a shoestring budget so how could they cancel it? They can't. All DAYS needs to be compared to is itself and its own ratings history.
and based on that history, it's not doing any better than it was 'this time last year'...actually it's a few tens of thousands of viewers down from the same week last year. If you compare it to what the show did in 2009, it's considerably down....and that was after the atrocious loss of viewership in 2007/2008.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Not to predict the future, but next week they will be well up on last year even if they lose some total viewers. In the YTD ratings for next week they were at 2,429,000. I mean you want to keep that number on the plus side at all times, but it was fluid last year and its going to be fluid this year. The show is in good shape numbers wise. NBC is a total disaster and that will be considered.

YTD for this week (not next week) DAYS has the same exact ratings in Households and Women 18-49. Same exact Women 18-34. For the SEASON (end of Sept-March 3) they are +.1. Its hard to gauge these ratings, but I have to say DAYS and NBC are thrilled with the numbers, even though they can be better and you always hate to take a loss like this. They will probably go up next week. Then fall back down, then go up again, etc.

lysie
Member Avatar

I think "good shape" is a stretch. They're alright.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Yeah, its not "good" but its solid. They are in no danger if they stay in this range. So that's good enough. The ratings aren't impressing anyone, but there is no area where I'm saying, "Wow they really need to improve there."
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Mar 10 2013, 06:48 PM.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Mar 10 2013, 02:43 PM
Not to predict the future, but next week they will be well up on last year even if they lose some total viewers. In the YTD ratings for next week they were at 2,429,000. I mean you want to keep that number on the plus side at all times, but it was fluid last year and its going to be fluid this year. The show is in good shape numbers wise. NBC is a total disaster and that will be considered.

YTD for this week (not next week) DAYS has the same exact ratings in Households and Women 18-49. Same exact Women 18-34. For the SEASON (end of Sept-March 3) they are +.1. Its hard to gauge these ratings, but I have to say DAYS and NBC are thrilled with the numbers, even though they can be better and you always hate to take a loss like this. They will probably go up next week. Then fall back down, then go up again, etc.
How do we know that NBC and Days are thrilled with these ratings? I never saw that written anywhere... did I miss that one?

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I agree with DimeraFan.

When NBC's primetime shows are bringing in less ratings than their shoestring budget daytime show, one week when ALL soaps were down isn't going to garner any big reaction from tptb, IMO.

Trying to say that Days should be shooting for Y&R's ratings is like fishing with a rope. Days in it's heyday only beat out Y&R once or twice. I'm hoping to see Days gain viewers and possibly overtake GH.

I've been watching GH too & I feel like right now all the returns of vets are sparking their ratings. Their stories aren't any better than Days. In fact, with the exception of Dannifer, Days stories are better, IMO.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Mar 10 2013, 08:19 PM
DiMeraFan67
Mar 10 2013, 02:43 PM

How do we know that NBC and Days are thrilled with these ratings? I never saw that written anywhere... did I miss that one?
:rolleyes:

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

SoapGal1
Mar 10 2013, 08:54 PM
I agree with DimeraFan.

When NBC's primetime shows are bringing in less ratings than their shoestring budget daytime show, one week when ALL soaps were down isn't going to garner any big reaction from tptb, IMO.

Trying to say that Days should be shooting for Y&R's ratings is like fishing with a rope. Days in it's heyday only beat out Y&R once or twice. I'm hoping to see Days gain viewers and possibly overtake GH.

I've been watching GH too & I feel like right now all the returns of vets are sparking their ratings. Their stories aren't any better than Days. In fact, with the exception of Dannifer, Days stories are better, IMO.
I personally think that regardless of how prime time NBC is doing, if Days falls below a certain threshold ratings wise, Corday panics and goes nuts. That is what usually happens and what's happened the last couple of years...NBC's primetime ratings have been consistently going down for a couple of years now, and Days has still managed to change HW positions twice in that span of time. Granted, this year appears to be the worse for NBC when it comes to their prime time line up....but then again, even if the primetime numbers were better that doesn't mean that Days getting close to 2.2 million total viewers or going below it is not going to make Corday do something. NBC might not cancel the show but that doesn't stop Corday from reacting. Especially if he perceives that whatever the network told him to do (if the rumors are correct) isn't working. Again....Days isn't in any imminent danger now, but they only got a 1 year deal, so they don't have the flexibility of letting the ratings go very low.

samwel

LuvingLumi
Mar 11 2013, 07:21 AM
SoapGal1
Mar 10 2013, 08:54 PM
I agree with DimeraFan.

I personally think that regardless of how prime time NBC is doing, if Days falls below a certain threshold ratings wise, Corday panics and goes nuts. That is what usually happens and what's happened the last couple of years...NBC's primetime ratings have been consistently going down for a couple of years now, and Days has still managed to change HW positions twice in that span of time. Granted, this year appears to be the worse for NBC when it comes to their prime time line up....but then again, even if the primetime numbers were better that doesn't mean that Days getting close to 2.2 million total viewers or going below it is not going to make Corday do something. NBC might not cancel the show but that doesn't stop Corday from reacting. Especially if he perceives that whatever the network told him to do (if the rumors are correct) isn't working. Again....Days isn't in any imminent danger now, but they only got a 1 year deal, so they don't have the flexibility of letting the ratings go very low.
DOOL is neither near 2.2 nor is it losing viewers in a way to get it there unless something happens in the future that none of us can predict. The show is holding its avg of 2.5M, holding its demos and experiencing periodic rises.

samwel

outrageous
Mar 9 2013, 11:27 PM
I think the ratings are still good for Days. A year ago a 1.8 was the highest number, and that was actually consistent for the past three years.
pretty much, the comparative week last year had three days of 1.8, one 1.9 and a 2.0, the dailies are better this year and the key demos holding.

lysie
Member Avatar

samwel
Mar 11 2013, 09:59 AM
outrageous
pretty much, the comparative week last year had three days of 1.8, one 1.9 and a 2.0, the dailies are better this year and the key demos holding.
The ratings are about the same. Last year, Days crashed at the end of March. They were doing fine before that. Just like they're doing fine now. They're not doing great regardless. With the exception of last week, they've been dropping for the last few weeks, so there's an issue somewhere.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

lysie
Mar 11 2013, 10:06 AM
samwel
outrageous
The ratings are about the same. Last year, Days crashed at the end of March. They were doing fine before that. Just like they're doing fine now. They're not doing great regardless. With the exception of last week, they've been dropping for the last few weeks, so there's an issue somewhere.
ITA....it truly doesn't take a lot to make them get to 2.2 million or less...they had 4 weeks of declines in viewership that started toward the end of Jan, that had them losing over 200K viewers in that span of time....last week's drop is rare, so that likely won't happen again but if anyone doesn't think this show can quickly lose 300K viewers to get them to the point of Corday panic then they haven't seen this show during 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, etc....

annie21

DiMeraFan67
Mar 8 2013, 03:10 PM
I just can't accept that the stories are what makes the ratings change so much. What is the weak link? Dannifer? At least IMO. They were featured just as much during the jump as they were the decline. EJami? They were featured during the climb and the drop. The baby story? Same. I really am not going to blame this on the writing, I'm just going to say this is DAYS range and I think they will stay around here and be between 2.5M and 2.7M for a while. The only time I really care about the ratings is when they start getting close to 2.3M. That worries me. If they stay here they're fine and have to be pretty happy with it.
I'll just speak for myself, but what keeps me away as a viewer is the strong feeling I get from the show's writers and executives that they really don't value either the show itself or me as a viewer. They don't care, and that comes across in a number of ways that I find off-putting. Everything from the advanced/rushed taping schedule to the tendency to reward mediocrity to the destruction of beloved characters in service of plot demonstrates that their actions are about enriching themselves not about putting out a quality product.

They're more interested in milking the show and making money off of its former glory than in taking care of it. Everything they do comes across as cynical and calculating -- even contrary to good entertainment and good business sense. And I have no doubt that if they could come up with another concept they thought would make them more money, they would drop the show in a second... a millisecond... and never look back (unless they thought they could cash in on a retrospective.) As a viewer, why should I invest? Why should I reward those in charge when they don't deserve it? So I might choose to tune in here or there, but regularly? Not with this regime and the way they run things. Besides, they're not making any effort to lure me back in, so they clearly don't care whether I watch or not.

Yes, it's a business. And yes, other shows do this, too. But I don't feel it is so blatantly and so crassly displayed as it is done with this show. The only things still tethering me to Days at all are a few actors along with the memory of what it once was and the waning hope of what it could be once again. The show is in decidedly uncaring hands for now, but, hey, a miracle could happen! In the meantime, this regime should only get the ratings it deserves -- and the execs should feel lucky they're getting way better than that.

michelle
Member Avatar

And of course, I feel exactly the opposite.

Is the show what it once was? No. Can it be again? Probably, not.

They have found a cost effective way to keep the show on the air as cheaply as possible. And for the most part, it is working. There are still a hell of a lot of people tuning in everyday considering how many other channels there are and other daily distractions that never existed before (Iphones, facebook, twitter, etc).

And promoting the show costs on-air time that they could be selling to somebody else for real dollars.

Do I feel valued as a viewer? I don't even know what this means. What I do feel is that for the most part, this show is entertaining me 90% of the time. And for me, that is good enough.

samwel

LuvingLumi
Mar 11 2013, 10:44 AM
lysie
Mar 11 2013, 10:06 AM
samwel
outrageous
ITA....it truly doesn't take a lot to make them get to 2.2 million or less...they had 4 weeks of declines in viewership that started toward the end of Jan, that had them losing over 200K viewers in that span of time....last week's drop is rare, so that likely won't happen again but if anyone doesn't think this show can quickly lose 300K viewers to get them to the point of Corday panic then they haven't seen this show during 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, etc....
and context is off course important. Like the fact that the 200K drop mentioned was after an event high and they went back to their normal. The same thing happened this week. The show since Jan has not gone below what is their norm or lost grounds in their demos.

Quote:

The issue lies IMO in retaining the numbers after an event. They always go back to their base of about 2.5M no matter what the event brings them.

lysie
Member Avatar

What event? Days barely acknowledged sweeps. There wasn't an event.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply