Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, March 8th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 8 2013, 08:20 AM (10,626 Views)
JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Mar 9 2013, 12:58 PM
ladyofthelake
Mar 9 2013, 12:49 PM
I am madly in love with the evil wickedness that is Nancy and Kristen. That is all :-)
Nancy really needs to move back to Salem permanently.
Couldn't agree more with this, but if it's not to be I hope they give us some scenes of her going head-to-head with Kate before she leaves town. She should be next on Nancy's to-do list after Jennifer. (Really, any woman who forced my daughter into prostitution would be first on my to-do list and it'd be a bloodbath.) I'd kind of love it if Nancy got wind of Kate and Rafe and got to be the one who made Stefano aware of it. There are so many possibilities. I hope it's not all wasted on Dannifer, even though she's been golden in that storyline so far.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Anne really IS annoying, I like the idea of Jennifer being confronted but Anne is such a stupid device to do it with. She's worse than a high school Mean Girls character, she's a high school Mean Girl at like 40 years old.

Nancy is much more effective than either Chloe or Anne, although Nancy only has an in because of Chloe. That's too bad. As good as it is that Jennifer have conflict that pushes her character to grow, I'm really tired of how there's so few adult women on this show that act like adults. I don't like being stuck in high school forever and I get tired of all the good girl/bad girl dichotomies, it feels more regressive to me than pop culture 20 years ago.

Jennifer's grudge against Nancy again reminds me how weird it is that she can get along with Kristen. What the DiMeras did to Jennifer's mother is much worse than Chloe's threat to Jennifer's happiness.
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Mar 9 2013, 03:59 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

am103
Mar 8 2013, 03:23 PM
I've also realized that Melissa Reeves does confrontation scenes very well. Lots of people think that Jennifer is annoying when she's bitchy. I personally enjoy it. What I don't enjoy is that she's bitchy because she's obsessed with Daniel.
I agree. I personally want to avoid the double bind where Jennifer is damned if she's a pushover and damned if she isn't. I personally like it when Jennifer fights, if it's a sign of strength in "Bad Girls" why not for her, etc. I just hate that she's fighting about Daniel to the exclusion of every other thing that used to matter to her.

It would also help if they let Jennifer be clever and resourceful again. Then there's money where her mouth is. I actually think this is one thing that MarDar did that was smart in theory, if not sufficiently executed -- in the political race stuff with EJ vs Abe, Jennifer wasn't just telling people what for, she was getting her hands dirty. At the time people were (and remain) very angry with Jennifer and thus fixated on the fact that she was a hypocrite because she was The Good Girl and yet no better than anyone else. Personally that's what was good about that idea to me, it was returning her to a place where she was a scrappy person with a big heart but by no means perfect, and sometimes led by her emotions to get in over her head. That's classic Jennifer to me, and those are the situations that help her become smarter and also to change.

But in this situation nobody can get their hands dirty without looking petty, neither Jennifer nor Chloe, because the fight is not about anything that's really worth it. Let's say I bought Dannifer's deep love (which I don't) and let's say that I bought that love is worth fighting for (which I do under enough circumstances), you're still left with the fact that neither of these women should really have anything to fear if Daniel really wanted to be with them, and that neither of them should want him if he doesn't want them. Their lives are not THAT miserable that they need him that much.

At least with Jennifer there is this history of abandonment that makes the insecurity theoretically in character for her, and maybe just maybe the writers have finally been hit by the clue by for. (Being mentally ill myself, I don't really think it's demeaning to be that way and I think it could actually be a dignifying storyline for Jennifer's character, but that's me.) But with Chloe I don't really get it at all. Maybe I didn't pay attention to her character enough because I never liked Bjorlin's acting much, but while she had her share of teenage awkwardnesses she seemed generally confident. After thinking Jack's died XYZ number of times and all her daddy issues and the mental illness history at least you can fanwank an explanation for Jennifer, but for Chloe I just don't get it. I did feel like her relationship with Daniel was sound and nice enough, but she has a lot going for her. Loving parents, a beautiful child, supportive friends in Brady and Nicole, her incredible vocal talent, etc. If she loved Daniel, sure she'd be sad without him, but desperate? I don't see the angle.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Mar 9 2013, 03:34 PM
Anne really IS annoying, I like the idea of Jennifer being confronted but Anne is such a stupid device to do it with. She's worse than a high school Mean Girls character, she's a high school Mean Girl at like 40 years old.

Nancy is much more effective than either Chloe or Anne, although Nancy only has an in because of Chloe. That's too bad. As good as it is that Jennifer have conflict that pushes her character to grow, I'm really tired of how there's so few adult women on this show that act like adults. I don't like being stuck in high school forever and I get tired of all the good girl/bad girl dichotomies, it feels more regressive to me than pop culture 20 years ago.

Jennifer's grudge against Nancy again reminds me how weird it is that she doesn't get along with Kristen. What the DiMeras did to Jennifer's mother is much worse than Chloe's threat to Jennifer's happiness.
I am beginning to find Anne annoying too, even though she's giving voice to the negativity that so many fans have been expressing for months. That she exists at least indicates to me that TPTB have taken notice of it and I appreciate that. However, I find the intensity of her hatred a bit puzzling. I can understand disliking a colleague that you think got where they are because of nepotism, especially if that colleague doesn't seem to put in the effort that might be expected of someone else in the position; however, she's taking it to OTT levels.

I also don't buy that she and Chloe have a genuine friendship or that Chloe really respects her. I literally cringed at the way Chloe treated her in Friday's episode. There are some things I like about this incarnation of Chloe and other things, not so much. She can't pull off being a bitch as effortlessly as people like Kristen, Kate, Sami, Nicole and her own mother Nancy can. It's obvious that she'd use Anne and Nicole, her only so-called "friends", and lose them just as quickly. Nancy is strongest in this story because she's sharp and having fun toying with Jennifer and Daniel but at the same time she is realistic about what can really be accomplished. She's trying to get Chloe to be clever about her scheming. Her historic enmity with the Hortons at least grounds her dislike for Jennifer in something real.
Edited by JessicaLeigh, Mar 9 2013, 04:33 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I think, too, I'm on Team Bristen. yeah. And, back a few episodes (since I watch online in a block).....I................I..........found Ejami a little hot.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Isabella was boring,even Drake admitted John and Isabella were,zzzzzzz.

Josh only had chemistry when Roman was with Kate.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deverauxfan
Member Avatar

I wish they developed Anne's character more. Maybe there is a reason she doesn't like the Horton's. The problem is that TPTB know that Dannifer is unliked. They will have Chloe, Nicole, and Anne say some of what the audience has been saying since August; yet they won't admit that this pairing is a bust. How many more characters need to be destroyed before someone at Days decides to cut their losses with Dannifer?
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

Deverauxfan
Mar 9 2013, 07:34 PM
I wish they developed Anne's character more. Maybe there is a reason she doesn't like the Horton's. The problem is that TPTB know that Dannifer is unliked. They will have Chloe, Nicole, and Anne say some of what the audience has been saying since August; yet they won't admit that this pairing is a bust. How many more characters need to be destroyed before someone at Days decides to cut their losses with Dannifer?
Quite seriously, I believe that there is a long term plan to keep Dannifer. I think that they will play out a bit more "angst" (probably J.J.) and then have them settle as stable couple. There are no more viable women to pair Dan with and they want him established as a leading man and the Horton tie is a big plus. As far as audience reaction goes, I think the writers are planning to ride out the protests and bank on eventual acceptance. Maybe further down the line, when there is a better story/woman for dan, I could see them splitting them up but for the next year or so, I think they are going to be Salem's perfect couple. :(
Edited by bomber, Mar 9 2013, 08:08 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Deverauxfan
Mar 9 2013, 07:34 PM
I wish they developed Anne's character more. Maybe there is a reason she doesn't like the Horton's.
Me too. Or I was thinking, she doesn't really seem like she likes Chloe that much either, so I'd love it if she had some ulterior motive for kicking up dirt at the hospital, like covering up a pill habit or something. (The scene with Nancy could even foreshadow that... wishful thinking!) Right now she is just a walking talking plot device -- maybe not even that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

Do we Know if Meredith is still filming or was she just brought in for the Chloe storyline? If she's still filming I agree they have to give her story more substance.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Was I the only one disappointed with the lack of "Its good to be back" from Stefano's latest return scene (even though he's been on and off screen for months)?
Offline Profile Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Keith
Mar 9 2013, 08:50 PM
Was I the only one disappointed with the lack of "Its good to be back" from Stefano's latest return scene (even though he's been on and off screen for months)?
I was! He didn't even say "It's good to be back," like I thought he was going to. Or if he did, I missed it. Very lackluster.

Jennifer vs. Nancy was definitely the best part of the episode. Loved all of the history mentions.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Mar 9 2013, 04:06 PM
I..........found Ejami a little hot.
WHAT???

My heart just grew three sizes. :wub:

:cheer:
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SoapGal1
Mar 9 2013, 09:42 PM
ladyofthelake
Mar 9 2013, 04:06 PM
I..........found Ejami a little hot.
WHAT???

My heart just grew three sizes. :wub:

:cheer:
Sssssshhhhh! Don't get used to it. ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

tomsawyer
Mar 8 2013, 02:22 PM
Matt
Mar 8 2013, 01:59 PM
today's show was directed by Albert Alarr from a script written by Jeanne Marie Ford (who really seems to be stepping up her game lately)
It was a really good script. The issues with today's show are all on the HWs and their storylines for these characters.
What are HW's?! :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Sweet and Salty
Mar 10 2013, 09:54 AM
tomsawyer
Mar 8 2013, 02:22 PM
Matt
Mar 8 2013, 01:59 PM
today's show was directed by Albert Alarr from a script written by Jeanne Marie Ford (who really seems to be stepping up her game lately)
It was a really good script. The issues with today's show are all on the HWs and their storylines for these characters.
What are HW's?! :shrug:
head writers.
Online Profile Goto Top

Deverauxfan
Member Avatar

^ head writers.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Mar 9 2013, 09:08 PM
Keith
Mar 9 2013, 08:50 PM
I was! He didn't even say "It's good to be back," like I thought he was going to. Or if he did, I missed it. Very lackluster.

Jennifer vs. Nancy was definitely the best part of the episode. Loved all of the history mentions.
I was like what kind of Stefano returns to Salem is this? I'm surprised Joe didn't say it even if it wasn't written (and it should have been).

Jennifer vs. Nancy was my everything in this episode. Mike, Laura, Alli, Jack - so much gold. Of course, it made me realize just how wrong it is that Jennifer and Chloe are sharing an age bracket considering when Jack and Jennifer were on in the 00s, Chloe was a teenager.
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

Can I just say how much I love Patrika Darbo! Scheming Nancy is all kinds of win! I know we'll probably never get any scenes, but I'd love a Nancy & Marlena scene at least once.
Offline Profile Goto Top

quesla

The Room Stops
Mar 8 2013, 08:12 PM
Tammy
Mar 8 2013, 02:05 PM
Dear DAYS Writers,

I HATE YOU!! :flipoff:

xoxo A pissed off John & Marlena Fan

Seriously if they want to go this route, couldn't they put Marlena with ANYONE other then Winston? Abe is available!!!
Seriously!

Victor, Stefano, anyone at this point. I'd rather see Nick and Marlena side-eye each other than this shitfest.
:hail: :cheer: :rockon: thats what i keep saying if they persist with john being an ass let marlena get some comfort from someone.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic