Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Kristian Alfonso Celebrates 30 Years on Days
Topic Started: Mar 11 2013, 02:40 PM (3,292 Views)
WillFan
Member Avatar

She's been an amnesiac art thief, a sleeping-pill poppin' wacko and a kick-ass-and-take-names policewoman. Heck, Days of Our Lives' Hope Brady has even been dead! But Kristian Alfonso is still alive and well and playing the part, 30 years after she first set foot on the Days soundstage. April 14 marks the big anniversary. TV Guide Magazine spoke with the beloved suds sensation about her stunning run in Salem.

TV Guide Magazine: Thanks for depressing the crap out of us! We remember when you hit the air like it was yesterday. How on earth did three decades pass?
Alfonso: It's absolutely shocking. I got my driver's license two days before I moved from Massachusetts to L.A. to do Days. I was a baby! I honestly can't wrap my head around this time warp. But if 30 years have gone by in a blink, then it must be because I'm having a great time!

TV Guide Magazine: What's your most magical Days memory?
Alfonso: It actually happened before I got Days. I arrived at Grand Central Station on my first trip to Manhattan and looked up and saw this gigantic lit-up billboard for that week's Time magazine a cover story with Days' No. 1 couple Susan and Bill Hayes [Doug and Julie]. I was completely awestruck, and then got cast as their daughter! That was just crazy.

TV Guide Magazine: Toughest storyline?
Alfonso: When I did quadruple duty during the Princess Gina [mind-control] plot. I was playing both Hope and Gina and also playing Hope as Gina and Gina as Hope. The continuity was a nightmare! Every night I fell asleep with scripts on my chest, but I loved every second of it.

TV Guide Magazine: You and Peter Reckell [Bo] made one of the all-time great supercouples in soaps, maybe second only to Luke and Laura. How does it feel to hit this anniversary flying solo?
Alfonso: Pete is missed but what is there to do? It was his choice to leave. I hear he's extremely happy. I've heard there's a solo story coming for me. It would be great to see Hope trying to move on and what a struggle that would be for her. I'd like to see her build a relationship with another strong guy, whether it's on the job or maybe she meets someone through being a single mom. I've had so many stories without Pete. Princess Gina was almost a year without him. And he had many without me. But what people remember most is the two of us together. We were given a golden opportunity.

TV Guide Magazine: Do you think we can ever again be enraptured by a pair of love birds, the way we were with Bo and Hope? Or are we just too jaded now?
Alfonso: It was an age of innocence back then, don't you think? It was a time when the audience could sit back and dream about romance, and watch it build and blossom. Soaps were all about taking their sweet time and allowing the viewers to fall in love with the people who were falling in love on screen. Why did Bo and Hope have such chemistry? I don't know. Pete played the rebel so well and Hope was all youth and bubbly innocence and big '80s hair, and somehow it worked. NBC took a huge chance with me, an unknown, unseasoned actress. Because of my Boston accent, they even changed the script to have Hope returning from a boarding school in Boston! It's been an amazing ride. [Exec producer] Ken Corday has done an extraordinary job keeping us on the air and NBC has been incredible, too. They've hung in with us through all the roller-coaster ups and downs and bumps and bruises.

TV Guide Magazine: Ever worry about getting the ax, especially after it happened to Deidre Hall [Marlena]?
Alfonso: Of course, because you hear so many rumors in the NBC hallways. Those walls pulsate! Losing Deidre and Drake [Hogestyn, who played John] for a while there was shocking. We all know nothing is forever so, when I get that call asking me to stay another year, it still takes my breath away. Because I do worry and my mind goes a little bit crazy. They're making changes! Do they no longer love the character? Am I on the chopping block? But that's okay. When you take things for granted you settle, and I don't ever want to be that person. There's always someone younger, prettier and taller who could probably do the job better. That's why, 30 years later, I still come to work with pride, still ready to earn every cent.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kristian-Alfonso-Celebrates-1062546.aspx
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

They really need to fake kill Bo and set Hope free to get a storyline again. Also bring back Shawn D and JT.
Edited by blueskies, Mar 11 2013, 02:48 PM.

AFaithL

I feel queasy...don't know if I want to see Hope move on.

They'll have to hire a new actor for her. I can't see her with any of the current men.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I love working with Kristian. She's wonderful and fantastic." ~ DC

AFaithL
Mar 11 2013, 02:57 PM
I feel queasy...don't know if I want to see Hope move on.

They'll have to hire a new actor for her. I can't see her with any of the current men.
As much as my Bope-loving self doesn't really want Hope to move on, my logical Hope-loving self knows that Hope needs to move on in order to increase her story options.

I agree with you that they need to hire someone else - there really is no one currently in Salem that would be a good fit with Hope, especially since Hope's never really loved anyone else but Bo. All the current males that aren't technically married & not related all have some sort of triangle/quadrangle they're either part of or the shape is on pause for the moment, but there's no doubt that there's still an attraction.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

It was so short-sighted to just send Bo out the way they did. They could not have been anymore lazy about it. I wish he would have pushed and asked her what the hell Hope is going to be doing in the future. I'm tired of the "there's story coming" line that every backburner actor drives. I hope that its true in this case though. They NEED to "kill" Bo off and have Shawn come home to "say goodbye" and have him stick around for Hope. Then Hope can start to move on and get a storyline and then May Sweeps next year we get Bo's return.

Anyway, 30 years wow. She doesn't even look old enough to be around that long, but I have loved Hope forever. Bo and Hope will always be my first FAVORITE couple. Congrats to her for that!

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Oh and yeah, can we PLEASE get someone new for Hope because the candidates in Salem now are just horrible. The absolute worst.

parisa

WillFan
Mar 11 2013, 02:40 PM
It was his choice to leave. I hear he's extremely happy. I've heard there's a solo story coming for me. It would be great to see Hope trying to move on and what a struggle that would be for her.
It sounds like Peter and Kristian haven't kept in touch since he left? Is this true?

DJsMommy
Member Avatar

Yaaayy! Congrats to Kristian! Wow! So I've been watching almost 30 years then cuz I started about a week or so after her debut.

It will break my heart to see Hope move on, but it needs to happen. Bo needs to "die".

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I love working with Kristian. She's wonderful and fantastic." ~ DC

DiMeraFan67
Mar 11 2013, 03:42 PM
Anyway, 30 years wow. She doesn't even look old enough to be around that long, but I have loved Hope forever. Bo and Hope will always be my first FAVORITE couple. Congrats to her for that!
no, she really doesn't:

Posted Image
Posted Image

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It's incredible to believe Alfonso started on DAYS 30 years ago. Doesn't seem that way at all.

I love how much she loves the Princess Gina saga. It was definitely my favorite Hope storyline.

I'm looking forward to what Tomlin/Whitesell have planned for Hope. I really want them to kill off Bo. Of course, I want them to lead the characters to believe Bo is dead, while giving the viewers the knowing clue that all isn't what it seems. It'll give Bope fans hope that Bo will return one day, all while allowing Hope to move on since she believe he's gone. No one could really be ruined, like what's happened to Jennifer (and Kayla to an extent).

And I agree with others who want someone completely new coming in for Hope. None of the men on the cast right now seem like a good fit for Hope. People always want to throw Rafe towards Hope, but I wouldn't ever want to see anything intimate develop between the two. I love the two as friends/co-workers, and I never want to see that line crossed. Besides, Rafe needs to stay with Kate. Both characters haven't felt this fresh in years.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Is the show doing anything to mark this event, even if it's just nbc.com?

I tend to agree that Hope should move on, but if/when she does TPTB need to be clear in having learned lessons from everything that's gone wrong with Jennifer (imho, of course), especially if it starts in a similar way with something happening to Bo off-screen. Show Hope mourning, show Hope genuinely conflicted as she moves on, give her a solid character/actor to partner with (develop that role).

I don't know if they'd be willing to put the work into it (and the time- I can't imagine them spending that much time on her), frankly, but it could be interesting. I would want Bo somehow dead and buried forever, though, with no coming back. I know that's impossible on a soap, it's just what I'd prefer.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

No way would I ever want Bo "really" dead, but we would never know that until the show actually ended so I guess I could accept it for the time being. I really want to establish a nice relationship for herself with someone and have Bo come back around next May Sweeps and see how things go from there. I think Bo will definitely be back by the time the show celebrates 50 years and Peter Reckell will probably get bored with this new lifestyle that everyone tries to live for a few years.

In the meantime Hope and Kristian Alfonso shouldn't be punished so they need to do something with her. I roll my eyes now when I see Hope pop up to be a sounding board for all of these lesser characters.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Mar 11 2013, 05:16 PM
In the meantime Hope and Kristian Alfonso shouldn't be punished so they need to do something with her. I roll my eyes now when I see Hope pop up to be a sounding board for all of these lesser characters.
I disagree. It's these interactions with established characters that helps new/undeveloped characters to grow. While I would like to see Hope doing more, I really don't mind her being a supporting character right now. I just wish she was supporting her own children. Have Shawn come back to mingle with the 30somethings. SORAS Ciara and give her a teenage love affair that Hope has to react to with Bo being gone.

AFaithL

I like what Alfonso said about Hope meeting a man who is a "single dad". Maybe with a child around Ciara's age. As long as they build them VERY SLOWLY and start them out as friends. And make the new character mysterious --- with us not knowing everything about him upfront.

And yeah....I'd rather have Bo be "presumed dead" and let Hope grieve and build a friendship first. I don't want her jumping into the sack so soon like Jennifer did, and I do NOT want them to say that Bo abandoned Hope. That would be completely out-of-character for Bo.

And please....chemistry test actors with KA before you hire someone.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Mar 11 2013, 05:19 PM
DiMeraFan67
Mar 11 2013, 05:16 PM
I disagree. It's these interactions with established characters that helps new/undeveloped characters to grow. While I would like to see Hope doing more, I really don't mind her being a supporting character right now. I just wish she was supporting her own children. Have Shawn come back to mingle with the 30somethings. SORAS Ciara and give her a teenage love affair that Hope has to react to with Bo being gone.
You basically made my point. She is supporting Jennifer and Rafe. I don't mind the interaction with Marlena, but neither of them are really doing much of anything. I can't stand her Dannifer propping and it isn't causing me to like Dannifer any more or think "Aww, this is a great relationship between cousins." Jennifer's relationship with Daniel has been a total and complete trainwreck and they have fights every damn day.

I don't mind when Hope shares scenes with Nick. They MAKE SENSE. I would love if she was supporting Shawn D, Abigail, Belle, a SORASed Ciara or JT. But she isn't doing any of that. Hell I would even like if she was trying to give Sami or Brady some advice. Her scenes are totally pointless right now, IMO.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Mar 11 2013, 05:41 PM.

tylerbo20

who from the show's past would you want Hope to hook up with?? i personally dont want her with Rafe or Danielle so lets be creative...if we have to keep hope without Bo then i say bring back Shane Donvian for Hope its been clear they dont want Kim around...how bout Patch and make a Patch/Hope/Kayla/Abe storyline...or how bout Roman/Hope (played by Wayne Northrop of course) or how bout they bring back Frankie for Hope and that might cause Jen to have some issues or just get rid of Hope? lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Mar 11 2013, 04:53 PM
It's incredible to believe Alfonso started on DAYS 30 years ago. Doesn't seem that way at all.

I love how much she loves the Princess Gina saga. It was definitely my favorite Hope storyline.

I'm looking forward to what Tomlin/Whitesell have planned for Hope. I really want them to kill off Bo. Of course, I want them to lead the characters to believe Bo is dead, while giving the viewers the knowing clue that all isn't what it seems. It'll give Bope fans hope that Bo will return one day, all while allowing Hope to move on since she believe he's gone. No one could really be ruined, like what's happened to Jennifer (and Kayla to an extent).

And I agree with others who want someone completely new coming in for Hope. None of the men on the cast right now seem like a good fit for Hope. People always want to throw Rafe towards Hope, but I wouldn't ever want to see anything intimate develop between the two. I love the two as friends/co-workers, and I never want to see that line crossed. Besides, Rafe needs to stay with Kate. Both characters haven't felt this fresh in years.
I actually quite like hope with Justin.
But I really like adrienne too.

Dilemna

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Personally, I would prefer that they not hook Hope up with another half of a former couple or we could end up with a Shane/Kayla situation and NO ONE wants a repeat of THAT (IMO). Personally, I think a new character would be ideal -- especially one who might help usher in (SLOWLY) a new family with members of varying ages to interact with the other characters.

concerned
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 11 2013, 06:43 PM
Personally, I would prefer that they not hook Hope up with another half of a former couple or we could end up with a Shane/Kayla situation and NO ONE wants a repeat of THAT (IMO). Personally, I think a new character would be ideal -- especially one who might help usher in (SLOWLY) a new family with members of varying ages to interact with the other characters.
If you can come up with the name of a new member of a new family with characters that were worthwhile ill jump on board.

Last one I can think of was the walkers
And I didn't mind the lock harts but I imagine you'll get strong resistance to that from some quarters.

concerned
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 11 2013, 06:43 PM
If you can come up with the name of a new member of a new family with characters that were worthwhile ill jump on board.

Last one I can think of was the walkers
And I didn't mind the lock harts but I imagine you'll get strong resistance to that from some quarters.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the exit of the remaining Hernandez and Jonas,s. they can go straight down the path of the hollingsworths

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply