Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Wednesday, March 20th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 20 2013, 05:22 AM (8,556 Views)
Panda Panda
Member Avatar

DawnElicia
Mar 20 2013, 03:56 PM
Im confused why is Gabi and Nick moving into the mansion. This makes no sense to me.
Nick already lives at the mansion as per his parole dictates (okay it doesn't say he has to live there specifically but he does have to stay with a family member). So with him getting married, Maggie invited Gabi/Nick and the babeh to live at the mansion for awhile.
Edited by Panda Panda, Mar 20 2013, 04:11 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DawnElicia
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Mar 20 2013, 04:00 PM
DawnElicia
Im confused why is Gabi and Nick moving into the mansion. This makes no sense to me.
Well he's never there, but Nick already lives at the Kiriakis Mansion because his parole had a condition that he had to live with a family member (Maggie) until it was over. I guess he is moving Gabi in so they have more room and all the luxuries of mooching off of Victor's wealth.
Thanks I thought that Nick and Gabi lived at the Pub because Nick was there all the time.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DawnElicia
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Mar 20 2013, 04:01 PM
DawnElicia
Nick already lives at the mansion as per his parole dictates (okay it say he has to live their specifically but he does have to stay with a family member). So with him getting married, Maggie invited Gabi/Nick and the babeh to live at the mansion for awhile.
I thought he lived at the Pub he is always there and sometimes acts like he owns the place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
DawnElicia
Nick already lives at the mansion as per his parole dictates (okay it say he has to live their specifically but he does have to stay with a family member). So with him getting married, Maggie invited Gabi/Nick and the babeh to live at the mansion for awhile.
I had no idea. Can someone please help a newbie. Can you list all the people in Salem Nick is related to (by blood)?
Edited by Pookie, Mar 20 2013, 04:11 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Pookie
Mar 20 2013, 04:11 PM
Panda Panda
DawnElicia
I had no idea. Can someone please help a newbie. Can you list all the people in Salem Nick is related to (by blood)?
http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/about/days-101/family-tree/horton-family/

It's a little outdated but that's pretty much the gist of it
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I never said "most women" would resort to "slut-shaming" but I said most women with a relationship like Sami and Nicole or Chloe and Jennifer. I'm fairly certain most women never have a relationship quite like that in their lives, but they would likely at some point in a confrontation throw around a word like "slut." And I'm sorry, but I cannot bring myself to find "slut" and "faggot" to be compatible words at all.

Plus I enjoy soaps to escape from reality. Every second of every soap does not need to be a PSA for life. I would never tell you what to be offended by or what not to be offended by. All I'm saying is it doesn't bother me when bitter enemies are calling each other "sluts" or "tramps" or "bitches." Guys don't really have these types of showdowns on soaps because they just start punching each other. I'm not insulted by the insinuation that most men resort to violence.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Mar 20 2013, 04:13 PM
Pookie
Panda Panda
DawnElicia

Thanks. I'm just wondering who Nick can live with once Victor kicks his sorry ass out. I'm fairly certain that will be the entire purpose of Nick and Sonny's fight. Nick is supposed to use a gay slur against Sonny, right? That would be enough for Victor. Nick's burned his bridges with Lucas. I don't think Abigail would tolerate the homophobe in her home (not sure about Jennifer). I guess that leaves Hope. But since Hope's antenna is up about Nick (and with the whole Vargas situation about to rear it's ugly head), I'm thinking Hope's place is the LAST place Nick is going to want to live.

So who else is there?
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Mar 20 2013, 04:21 PM
I never said "most women" would resort to "slut-shaming" but I said most women with a relationship like Sami and Nicole or Chloe and Jennifer. I'm fairly certain most women never have a relationship quite like that in their lives, but they would likely at some point in a confrontation throw around a word like "slut." And I'm sorry, but I cannot bring myself to find "slut" and "faggot" to be compatible words at all.

Plus I enjoy soaps to escape from reality. Every second of every soap does not need to be a PSA for life. I would never tell you what to be offended by or what not to be offended by. All I'm saying is it doesn't bother me when bitter enemies are calling each other "sluts" or "tramps" or "bitches." Guys don't really have these types of showdowns on soaps because they just start punching each other. I'm not insulted by the insinuation that most men resort to violence.
Okay. It bothers me, which is why I said it in the first place. For me being around slut shaming (an actual legitimate term in contemporary feminist discourse) is not escape into a happy place, it is all the things in reality that makes me want to run away in the first place. You don't have to say "slut shaming is wrong" in neon flashing PSA lights, you can simply refrain from doing it and find other ways of getting soapy goodness. We have a lot we disagree on, suffice it to say.
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Mar 20 2013, 04:41 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Pookie
Mar 20 2013, 04:25 PM
Panda Panda
Mar 20 2013, 04:13 PM
Pookie
Panda Panda

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Thanks. I'm just wondering who Nick can live with once Victor kicks his sorry ass out. I'm fairly certain that will be the entire purpose of Nick and Sonny's fight. Nick is supposed to use a gay slur against Sonny, right? That would be enough for Victor. Nick's burned his bridges with Lucas. I don't think Abigail would tolerate the homophobe in her home (not sure about Jennifer). I guess that leaves Hope. But since Hope's antenna is up about Nick (and with the whole Vargas situation about to rear it's ugly head), I'm thinking Hope's place is the LAST place Nick is going to want to live.

So who else is there?
the reason Nick didn't stay with Hope in the first place was because Bo was the arresting officer. I'm thinking that if Nick's parole is over, he'll just get a place of his own. If it's not over, maybe Bo being MIA from Salem will allow him & Gabi to move in with Hope (assuming he & Gabi are still together after everything comes out).
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Mar 20 2013, 04:37 PM
DiMeraFan67

We have a lot we disagree on, suffice it to say.
Well that we can agree on.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

I know this is probably a REALLY stupid question, but, I'm looking at the family trees. And it looks like John Black and Stefan are half-brothers. Is that right?
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
DiMeraFan67

Okay. It bothers me, which is why I said it in the first place. For me being around slut shaming (an actual legitimate term in contemporary feminist discourse) is not escape into a happy place, it is all the things in reality that makes me want to run away in the first place. You don't have to say "slut shaming is wrong" in neon flashing PSA lights, you can simply refrain from doing it and find other ways of getting soapy goodness. We have a lot we disagree on, suffice it to say.
I agree completely and it never fails to piss me off that Victor calling women sluts, whores, bimbos, and bitches is laughed off. When Nick uses a gay slur people go nuts (as they should). And if somebody ever used a racial slur about Abe or Cameron, the board would erupt (as it should). But the same isn't done for slurs about women on this show. That's just a-ok.

And I don't care if it is another woman saying it. It doesn't make it appropriate or necessary. Sami and Nicole can fight all they want without resorting to slut-shaming. It's cheap and easy and beyond enraging.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Pookie
Mar 20 2013, 04:43 PM
I know this is probably a REALLY stupid question, but, I'm looking at the family trees. And it looks like John Black and Stefan are half-brothers. Is that right?
Yes. Sami Colleen Brady met EJ Santo DiMera they had an affair and then she got knocked up with John. Some other stuff happened and Colleen faked her death, moved to Ireland, years later she stole Claire (Belle and Shawn D's daughter), and then died for real.
Edited by Panda Panda, Mar 20 2013, 04:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Mar 20 2013, 04:41 PM
Well that we can agree on.
I think I sense that you're frustrated by this conversation, I will apologize if I came on very strongly. For me these topics are a bread and butter of sorts and I am used to taking them seriously without necessarily implying personal vendettas. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that you meant your comment as a direct response to mine, and so I was asking myself if you were understanding my point and wasn't sure that you were. It seemed to me you were saying that there's nothing the show can do about the slutshaming language used on it while still being true to character. But what I was getting at wasn't just the use of the terms but the casualness of that use. Then of course we moved on to the point where you indicated that you don't think "slut" is, to some extent or other, a big deal, as big a deal, etc. I wish I could convince you otherwise, because words are very powerful and do shape the way we think about the world, at least I believe, and the history of the word "slut" is a lot more interesting than it may seem, but if not so be it. I of course will try to plead for the show to consider upgrading to something more modern, I believe it could speak to good impulses in people.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Nah I wasn't frustrated, honestly. I don't think we will get anywhere debating beliefs and I don't think you're wrong for how you feel about it so I can't really say anything. I was trying to end it with a nice comment, jokingly. Probably came off as being sarcastic, so I apologize.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Mar 20 2013, 04:56 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Mar 20 2013, 04:48 PM
Pookie
Yes. Sami Colleen Brady met EJ Santo DiMera they had an affair and then she got knocked up with John. Some other stuff happened and Colleen faked her death, moved to Ireland, years later she stole Claire (Belle and Shawn D's daughter), and then died for real.
So Brady is Stefano's nephew and he's marrying Stefano's daughter. No wonder Brady is so stupid, he's practically inbred.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Pookie
Mar 20 2013, 05:00 PM
Panda Panda
Mar 20 2013, 04:48 PM
Pookie
So Brady is Stefano's nephew and he's marrying Stefano's daughter. No wonder Brady is so stupid, he's practically inbred.
LOL!

Well Kristen and Peter aren't related to the DiMera's by blood, so they're okay on that front. I think Marlena might have dropped Brady on his head a few times when he was a child, but never told anyone. :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

esp13
Mar 20 2013, 04:45 PM
I agree completely and it never fails to piss me off that Victor calling women sluts, whores, bimbos, and bitches is laughed off. When Nick uses a gay slur people go nuts (as they should). And if somebody ever used a racial slur about Abe or Cameron, the board would erupt (as it should). But the same isn't done for slurs about women on this show. That's just a-ok.

And I don't care if it is another woman saying it. It doesn't make it appropriate or necessary. Sami and Nicole can fight all they want without resorting to slut-shaming. It's cheap and easy and beyond enraging.
It makes you think twice about how soaps are supposedly a genre for women.

(Not saying that it can consequently be said to be a genre "for" men, but nobody makes that claim anyway.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Mar 20 2013, 04:45 PM
DesignatedShelley
DiMeraFan67

Yep. Count me as another that doesn't enjoy the slut-shaming on Days. The terms "slut" and "whore" are basically only applied to women on this show, which pretty much shows they're sexist terms. I get some use of it between certain characters, but it's a turnoff when it's the constant go-to insult to throw at a woman on this show.
Online Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

Eve and Jen used to have some great verbal battles without resorting to slut/whore insults. It seems lazy to me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic