Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for the Week of March 11-15, 2013
Topic Started: Mar 22 2013, 01:50 AM (4,158 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

DiMeraFan67
Mar 22 2013, 08:16 AM
The ratings were going to sink about 200,000+ and they went down nearly 400,000. Either way its pretty horrible. But this isn't a couple months. We are talking about a couple weeks. February 18-22 they were at a 15 month high in total viewers. The Pope clearly crushed Wednesday and they should have cancelled that day like GH and B&B. I think Thursday and Friday you can only partially blame the Pope...because the show sucked too. Not a good combination.
Oh no doubt.....but that 15 month high was followed by a trend that Days has made their own....gain viewers one week, hit highs and the week after they lose virtually everything they gained. They can't keep a viewer even if they pay them....lol...the show needs some life, some shaking up and I fear if they do they will get rid of the wrong people....Days should REALLY think of getting rid of a major character that has been focused on non stop ....rest the character for 6 months and create a dramatic murder mystery....I nominate Sami or Daniel....Sami will likely have more impact on the landscape of the show for those 6 months than Daniel will....they need to soras some of the kiddies, create a storyline around that, introduce a new family and create a brand new interesting and feared villain, etc...they need something fresh and unfortunately except for Ericole (they have promise), the rest is the same shit different day....lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

samwel

DiMeraFan67
Mar 22 2013, 08:20 AM
Yes, I live on the east coast so I'm not sure how DAYS was affected by the Pope announcement. It happened right after DAYS so did the rest of the time zones not even get an airing of the show? It was Papal coverage from like 2:05 until the 5 news where I live. Either way they should have cancelled the day.

I expected GH to take more of a hit because they cut in massively on Tuesday and Wednesday the aired like 5-10 minutes, then Thursday was a replay on Wednesday. It was an ugly situation all around. Based on Monday and Tuesday though DAYS was trending downward fast, but this made it really shoot down.
GH were hitting over 3 mill and staying close to that number, look how low it came in this week.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

DiMeraFan67
Mar 22 2013, 08:20 AM
Yes, I live on the east coast so I'm not sure how DAYS was affected by the Pope announcement. It happened right after DAYS so did the rest of the time zones not even get an airing of the show? It was Papal coverage from like 2:05 until the 5 news where I live. Either way they should have cancelled the day.

I expected GH to take more of a hit because they cut in massively on Tuesday and Wednesday the aired like 5-10 minutes, then Thursday was a replay on Wednesday. It was an ugly situation all around. Based on Monday and Tuesday though DAYS was trending downward fast, but this made it really shoot down.
I noticed the downward trend since the week before.....if you check out the ratings at SON for the week of March 4, you'll see that by Thursday the show was in the 1.8 range...kept the same range on Friday and apparently carried the same numbers into Monday the 11th..Tuesday was a bit higher and then it jumped off the cliff from there....it pretty much coincided with everyone in the daily threads saying the show was boring.....lol....

I live in NYC and I know that when I put the show on to see it from my DVR, it had papal coverage.....and I believe they showed the entire episode at around 3am, lol....

trojangal
Member Avatar

The day of the papal announcement I think most of Days was pre-emptied where I live because I ended up taping it on Soapnet . I am pretty sure the plan was to show it on a lot of NBC affiliates at 2 or 3 am which to me means they shouldn't have counted that days ratings .

While I was just starting to love the show after Christmas since Feb (sweeps) I have found most of the stories boring as heck and going in circles .

lysie
Member Avatar

I thought it was only pre-empted in the central time zone. Either way, that was a clear issue on Wednesday, but all the days were pretty bad. We've been starting out with 2s in the beginning of the week and even that didn't happen. I don't remember the last time a one day pre-emption had this bad of a recovery.

trojangal
Member Avatar

I don't understand why TIIC at Days/ NBC wanted the ratings counted for Wednesday
when it was prempted in most of the country . Both BB & GH didn't count their ratings for Wednesday & GH goes head to head against Days where I live.
Are they that clueless ? ;)

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I agree this is extreme, which I why I think its a combination of the pre-emption and the show just sucking. Monday and Tuesday were already low-rated, then by the time Wednesday really screwed everything up 200,000 more people from Monday and Tuesday just said screw it. The next cycle will be really interesting. I think they'll be in the 2.3M total viewers range, but I don't think Monday really hooked anyone in. Thought the show was absolutely horrible.

trojangal
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2013, 08:34 AM
I thought it was only pre-empted in the central time zone. Either way, that was a clear issue on Wednesday, but all the days were pretty bad. We've been starting out with 2s in the beginning of the week and even that didn't happen. I don't remember the last time a one day pre-emption had this bad of a recovery.
I live in the CST & I think we saw 10 - 15 mins before the news interrupted . A few people I know that live in CA told me it wasn't shown that day & they were trying to see if it was on NBC.com
Edited by trojangal, Mar 22 2013, 02:37 PM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

So weird that they counted Wednesday when the other soaps didn't. But even if you throw out Wednesday, the ratings are still looking down. I can't say I'm totally shocked, as I found the latter part of last week's shows to be pretty damn boring too. Other than Chletch, I do think Days has really good potential, but their lack of drama lately is hurting them IMO.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Wow.

The show has been on a downward trend which is what I have feared all along. It was firing on all cylinders for much of Jan & Feb.

It's the same ole thing. Days can't write day to day.

IMO, it's tptb decision to focus so much on Fetch these last few weeks. I think the interest is in the baby story. I don't think many folks care who Doc Orange ends up with.

I'm not saying the ratings are dependent on couplings, it's just that I don't think there's any interest in any of the characters related to Fetch that includes Abby/Cameron & the magic box.

And I agree with others, WHY did Days count Wednesdaywhenthe others didn't? It was clearly a Pope day.

I sure hope things get better once they wrap the Chloe angle of Fetch.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just coming out of lurkdom to add that it's not just the Papal announcement on Wednesday that was a factor. The coverage of the selection of the Pope actually started on Tuesday with the beginning of the vote (which impacted Y&R quite a bit). It's possible some people may have wrote off Tuesday too based on that coverage.

Also, Thursday and Friday featured scattered preemptions in the south due to conference tournament basketball coverage I believe. That happens every year and people tend to forget that. Days and GH do VERY well numbers-wise in the south (as a report from a few years ago showed) so I have no doubt that impacted both those shows greatly. Days and GH will be hurt this week too by the NCAA Tournament. I think last week and this week easily get written off because of that.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2013, 09:04 AM
Just coming out of lurkdom to add that it's not just the Papal announcement on Wednesday that was a factor. The coverage of the selection of the Pope actually started on Tuesday with the beginning of the vote (which impacted Y&R quite a bit). It's possible some people may have wrote off Tuesday too based on that coverage.

Also, Thursday and Friday featured scattered preemptions in the south due to conference tournament basketball coverage I believe. That happens every year and people tend to forget that. Days and GH do VERY well numbers-wise in the south (as a report from a few years ago showed) so I have no doubt that impacted both those shows greatly. Days and GH will be hurt this week too by the NCAA Tournament. I think last week and this week easily get written off because of that.
I agree that there are outside factors.

And, I didn't mention in my earlier post that I don't think we're about to get some "plan to save Days" from Corday yet.

I just hope we can get back to what we were seeing from mid January thru February.

It's the most of liked Days in awhile.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05

I live down South and there were no preemptions for NCAA or the Pope. I think you're missing the bigger picture here. The ratings are not low because of "outside factors", they're low because the shows sucks as a whole and people are quickly losing interest.
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Mar 22 2013, 09:34 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

LanaluvsBroe
Mar 22 2013, 09:33 AM
PhoenixRising05

I live down South and there were no preemptions for NCAA or the Pope. I think you're missing the bigger picture here. The ratings are not low because of "outside factors", they're low because the shows sucks as a whole and people are quickly losing interest.
We really can't say that until next week. There were pretty big external factors for this week, so while the drop seems extreme it's not as simple as the show just sucks. And I agree that the show sucks but there's no getting around the pre-emption's effects.

And yeah, I live in the south too and we didn't have any sports related pre-emptions. Idk that we ever have.

They're guaranteed a bump next week. It will be interesting to see how much of one they get.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 22 2013, 09:43 AM
LanaluvsBroe
PhoenixRising05

We really can't say that until next week. There were pretty big external factors for this week, so while the drop seems extreme it's not as simple as the show just sucks. And I agree that the show sucks but there's no getting around the pre-emption's effects.

And yeah, I live in the south too and we didn't have any sports related pre-emptions. Idk that we ever have.

They're guaranteed a bump next week. It will be interesting to see how much of one they get.
Just curious...why is Days guaranteed a bump next week?

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

magicsteacher
Mar 22 2013, 10:01 AM
lysie
LanaluvsBroe
PhoenixRising05

because they had such a big loss this week. It's normal for them to bump when they had a big loss....but what has been happening of late isn't good because they lose big, bump big and then they lose equally as big.

IMHO, the NCAA thing happens every year and Days has been crashing around March for the past 2/3 years....what happened years before? I don't remember them crashing years before around this time. I remember that soaps use to be really strong from November through March then they would start slowing down and see their ratings decrease over the summer only to pick up again by the fall. What has occurred the last couple of years is that Days can't even do good consistently from November through March....the show starts heading south around end of January...it's happened the last couple of years and it's not a good trend.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Quote:

Wednesday: 1.4/1,786,000

WTF happened this day...holy shit....is that an all-time low for DAYS?

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 22 2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:

Wednesday: 1.4/1,786,000

WTF happened this day...holy shit....is that an all-time low for DAYS?
Popeapalooza.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sometimes the preemptions depend on where you live in the south. I remember this was always discussed on SON around this time of year (Toups used to bring it up) and a friend of mine even mentioned it to me in the past. It's regional coverage of conference tournaments. It often depends when certain teams are playing. Same goes for the NCAA Tournament this week. It may just be on CBS but depending on whose playing and when, it can hurt Days and GH. Not to mention all the people who just watch the tournament because of what it is and not just for certain teams. The soaps used to do ok opposite the tournament some years but as the audience eroded that was no longer the case.

We're also heading into spring too where all of TV (daytime and primetime) loses viewers. It happens every year now and always starts around the time clocks move ahead and hour. Primetime ratings have been stinking it up all month and all the soaps have been losing viewers too. This isn't just a Days issue although the younger your audience skews, the more decline you'll have so Days and GH will lose more because they skew younger. One more thing to consider that people forget is the season to date numbers which are the only set of numbers that include later DVR viewings. Those are just as important. Days is doing FANTASTIC there and they've gone up I believe +1 there over the last two months. All the soaps are doing well season to date, which tells me based on the pattern of the last few months that the weeks where any of the soaps go up big is just the same audience being able to watch live or on the same day (they may be snowed in or school may be out or something) and when the numbers drop big it's that same audience no longer being home or being busy so they can't watch until later. Either way, the audience is there. It just depends when they watch and where they show up in the data. Do they show up in the live +same day data or the season to date/later DVR viewing data? Both sets of numbers matter so Days has no reason to panic. None of the soaps do. You worry if both sets of numbers are down for a substantial period and that is not the case.

Oh, and MarDar only got fired last year because Corday wanted them. NBC clearly wanted Tomlin back. NBC did what they did in 2003 when they forced JER on Days. They forced Tomlin on Days because they didn't like MarDar and wanted the show to have a vision they support. So, what happened last year wasn't the typical Corday panicking. He never acts so quick to fire a writer. He usually forces a writer to go through several rewrites and vision changes before firing them. Firing MarDar that quick was not his style at all. So, I don't think you'll see Tomsell go anywhere, especially given they have NBC's stamp of approval.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Mar 22 2013, 10:10 AM
magicsteacher
Mar 22 2013, 10:01 AM
lysie
LanaluvsBroe

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

because they had such a big loss this week. It's normal for them to bump when they had a big loss....but what has been happening of late isn't good because they lose big, bump big and then they lose equally as big.

IMHO, the NCAA thing happens every year and Days has been crashing around March for the past 2/3 years....what happened years before? I don't remember them crashing years before around this time. I remember that soaps use to be really strong from November through March then they would start slowing down and see their ratings decrease over the summer only to pick up again by the fall. What has occurred the last couple of years is that Days can't even do good consistently from November through March....the show starts heading south around end of January...it's happened the last couple of years and it's not a good trend.
Thanks.

Pre emptions or no.... for me, right now, the show sucks bigtime, and it's not due to just one actor, character or couple. The storylines are slow moving and go in circles week after week, they are mostly plot driven, history has been ignored or forgotten, and most of the characters have been destroyed to the point where I don't even recognize most of them anymore.
Sure there were some high points last week like the Lumi scheming and Nancy's scenes, but that was really about it... the rest was boooorrring and even difficult to watch and nothing to keep viewers' interest to want to keep watching day after day.
IMO, this week hasn't been much better. I had to force myself to watch yesterday's show and that was with FF through the Dannifer scenes. The scary part is that from the spoilers we have gotten so far thru the week of April 1st...and I realize they are only partial spoilers... things aren't looking much better. There may be a bump next week, but I am betting it won't be much of one from what I saw this week.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply