Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for the Week of March 11-15, 2013
Topic Started: Mar 22 2013, 01:50 AM (4,231 Views)
JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 22 2013, 10:18 AM
Quote:

Wednesday: 1.4/1,786,000

WTF happened this day...holy shit....is that an all-time low for DAYS?
The new pope coverage preemption. Except Days was never preempted at all in my time zone. Either way, a loss of nearly 400,000 viewers is awful yet understandable with the shitty stories they've been serving up. They lost double the viewers compared to all other soaps.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

It's definitely disappointing to see DAYS losing ground after they seemed to be on an upswing. And not just ratings wise. I had been feeling the overall quality of the show was much improved since the first of the year, but the last week or two have definitely found me struggling to maintain my interest level.

IMO, the baby storyline is solid and they've done a good job of integrating a variety of characters into it. Outside of that I can't think of any other storylines that are nearly as interesting. The Ericole stuff is promising...but they really need to pick up the pace on it. And just as they have with the baby story - they need to weave a few more players into it. The Jarlena vs. Bristen stuff could have been so much better but they've done a really poor job of establishing WTH John is thinking and why he's acting like such a dick to Marlena. Cameron/Abby/Chad is just silly. And the Danifer/Chloe crap is a hot mess.

Here's hoping they'll find a way to inject some of the same good qualities in the Wabi baby story into the other stuff - or minimize the focus on the other stories.

Dazefan4now
Member Avatar

Pope or no Pope, show is boring as heck. Dannifer does the same thing over and over again. Bristen, same thing over and over again. No movement with Ericole. John and Brady have the same discussion and argument week after week. No drama anywhere.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Dazefan4now
Mar 22 2013, 12:44 PM
Pope or no Pope, show is boring as heck. Dannifer does the same thing over and over again. Bristen, same thing over and over again. No movement with Ericole. John and Brady have the same discussion and argument week after week. No drama anywhere.
I say this a lot I know so here I go again...

It reminds me of Passions. Day after day of dialogue that barely does anything to move storylines along.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

SocRMum1
Mar 22 2013, 11:08 AM
It's definitely disappointing to see DAYS losing ground after they seemed to be on an upswing. And not just ratings wise. I had been feeling the overall quality of the show was much improved since the first of the year, but the last week or two have definitely found me struggling to maintain my interest level.

IMO, the baby storyline is solid and they've done a good job of integrating a variety of characters into it. Outside of that I can't think of any other storylines that are nearly as interesting. The Ericole stuff is promising...but they really need to pick up the pace on it. And just as they have with the baby story - they need to weave a few more players into it. The Jarlena vs. Bristen stuff could have been so much better but they've done a really poor job of establishing WTH John is thinking and why he's acting like such a dick to Marlena. Cameron/Abby/Chad is just silly. And the Danifer/Chloe crap is a hot mess.

Here's hoping they'll find a way to inject some of the same good qualities in the Wabi baby story into the other stuff - or minimize the focus on the other stories.
Does it seem like the Wabi and Ericole stories have one set of writers and the rest of the show has another? At least that is what it feels like to me.

trojangal
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2013, 10:43 AM
Sometimes the preemptions depend on where you live in the south. I remember this was always discussed on SON around this time of year (Toups used to bring it up) and a friend of mine even mentioned it to me in the past. It's regional coverage of conference tournaments. It often depends when certain teams are playing. Same goes for the NCAA Tournament this week. It may just be on CBS but depending on whose playing and when, it can hurt Days and GH. Not to mention all the people who just watch the tournament because of what it is and not just for certain teams. The soaps used to do ok opposite the tournament some years but as the audience eroded that was no longer the case.

We're also heading into spring too where all of TV (daytime and primetime) loses viewers. It happens every year now and always starts around the time clocks move ahead and hour. Primetime ratings have been stinking it up all month and all the soaps have been losing viewers too. This isn't just a Days issue although the younger your audience skews, the more decline you'll have so Days and GH will lose more because they skew younger. One more thing to consider that people forget is the season to date numbers which are the only set of numbers that include later DVR viewings. Those are just as important. Days is doing FANTASTIC there and they've gone up I believe +1 there over the last two months. All the soaps are doing well season to date, which tells me based on the pattern of the last few months that the weeks where any of the soaps go up big is just the same audience being able to watch live or on the same day (they may be snowed in or school may be out or something) and when the numbers drop big it's that same audience no longer being home or being busy so they can't watch until later. Either way, the audience is there. It just depends when they watch and where they show up in the data. Do they show up in the live +same day data or the season to date/later DVR viewing data? Both sets of numbers matter so Days has no reason to panic. None of the soaps do. You worry if both sets of numbers are down for a substantial period and that is not the case.

Oh, and MarDar only got fired last year because Corday wanted them. NBC clearly wanted Tomlin back. NBC did what they did in 2003 when they forced JER on Days. They forced Tomlin on Days because they didn't like MarDar and wanted the show to have a vision they support. So, what happened last year wasn't the typical Corday panicking. He never acts so quick to fire a writer. He usually forces a writer to go through several rewrites and vision changes before firing them. Firing MarDar that quick was not his style at all. So, I don't think you'll see Tomsell go anywhere, especially given they have NBC's stamp of approval.
The NCAA basketball stuff is on CBS as well as some of the cable channels ESPN etc
it isn't on NBC or ABC
so it should have no impact on Days. Well except for Days fans
watching basketball coverage instead of Days LOL

am103
Member Avatar

Well, this is what happens when the storylines move nowhere. The show has been drifting for the past few weeks, and not even the snappiest of dialogue can save it if the stories aren't there to back it up.

Wow, still can't believe Wednesday's ratings. If this keeps up we'll be hearing about another "reset" soon, probably.

Sariah
Member Avatar

I'm usually a firm believer that no one character or no one pairing brings down the ratings for Days.

But for the love of all that is holy, they need to fire Shawn Christian NOW and they need to get rid of Fetch. This Jonas-centric focus that's been happening on this show for the last few years is RUINING it. The more airtime they give him, the more people tune out in droves.

Seriously, what is it going to take? Or are they deliberately trying to run the show into the ground?

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Y&R
Monday: 3.4/4,794,000
Tuesday: 3.0/4,001,000 (24 min eipsode)
Wednesday: 2.9/4,136,000
Thursday: 3.3/4,423,000
Friday: 3.2/4,259,000

Holy Hell JG & JFP get a damn clue and to think Sony/CBS staff were out tooting horns for that minimal demo increase last week. All of the heavy promoting on Marie Osmond show and TheTalk and this is it.

Cathalina

lysie
Mar 22 2013, 07:28 AM
It'd be so easy to blame the pope if it weren't for those other days. Wow.
Exactly. Let's not blame the Pope formerly known as Father Jorge for this. The show right now, with very few exceptions, is on the wrong road. When I love my soap, I don't say screw it for the week if it gets preempted.

I have to love it though. Last week people were claiming their faves were raising the ratings. Now they went down and everyone is trying to blame a poor Jesuit.

bomber
Member Avatar

I'm assuming 1.4 stands for the share of the audience but how does this work on Wednesday when 2 of the soaps aren't counted? Is it measured just against Y & R or all shows?
Edited by bomber, Mar 22 2013, 04:15 PM.

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Brami❤

DiMeraFan67
Mar 22 2013, 08:20 AM
Yes, I live on the east coast so I'm not sure how DAYS was affected by the Pope announcement. It happened right after DAYS so did the rest of the time zones not even get an airing of the show? It was Papal coverage from like 2:05 until the 5 news where I live. Either way they should have cancelled the day.

I expected GH to take more of a hit because they cut in massively on Tuesday and Wednesday the aired like 5-10 minutes, then Thursday was a replay on Wednesday. It was an ugly situation all around. Based on Monday and Tuesday though DAYS was trending downward fast, but this made it really shoot down.
On the pope day, I only got to watch about 7-10 minutes of Days before it was interrupted. The day before, it was only interrupted for about 10-15 minutes in the 1st half hour.

Days has been boring me to tears lately. The only days where I am interested is when Bryan, Eileen and/or Blake are on. Nicole's little "moment" with Vargas the other day was the 1st time I enjoyed her in weeks. EJ & Eric's coffee house chat was the 1st time I enjoyed EJ in MONTHS. :sleep2:

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Brami❤

Sariah
Mar 22 2013, 02:39 PM
I'm usually a firm believer that no one character or no one pairing brings down the ratings for Days.

But for the love of all that is holy, they need to fire Shawn Christian NOW and they need to get rid of Fetch. This Jonas-centric focus that's been happening on this show for the last few years is RUINING it. The more airtime they give him, the more people tune out in droves.

Seriously, what is it going to take? Or are they deliberately trying to run the show into the ground?

ITA & the only time I enjoyed a story that involved Dan was when Bo was sick & he was his doctor. However, if you look at any posting on Days FB page, SC is adored there by fans. There isn't as much pro-dannifer as there was when Jack was around, but there's still a lot. Maybe TIIC pay more attention to FB feedback than any other? :shrug: All I know for sure is I hate Dannifer. LOL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

trojangal
Mar 22 2013, 02:35 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sometimes the preemptions depend on where you live in the south. I remember this was always discussed on SON around this time of year (Toups used to bring it up) and a friend of mine even mentioned it to me in the past. It's regional coverage of conference tournaments. It often depends when certain teams are playing. Same goes for the NCAA Tournament this week. It may just be on CBS but depending on whose playing and when, it can hurt Days and GH. Not to mention all the people who just watch the tournament because of what it is and not just for certain teams. The soaps used to do ok opposite the tournament some years but as the audience eroded that was no longer the case.

We're also heading into spring too where all of TV (daytime and primetime) loses viewers. It happens every year now and always starts around the time clocks move ahead and hour. Primetime ratings have been stinking it up all month and all the soaps have been losing viewers too. This isn't just a Days issue although the younger your audience skews, the more decline you'll have so Days and GH will lose more because they skew younger. One more thing to consider that people forget is the season to date numbers which are the only set of numbers that include later DVR viewings. Those are just as important. Days is doing FANTASTIC there and they've gone up I believe +1 there over the last two months. All the soaps are doing well season to date, which tells me based on the pattern of the last few months that the weeks where any of the soaps go up big is just the same audience being able to watch live or on the same day (they may be snowed in or school may be out or something) and when the numbers drop big it's that same audience no longer being home or being busy so they can't watch until later. Either way, the audience is there. It just depends when they watch and where they show up in the data. Do they show up in the live +same day data or the season to date/later DVR viewing data? Both sets of numbers matter so Days has no reason to panic. None of the soaps do. You worry if both sets of numbers are down for a substantial period and that is not the case.

Oh, and MarDar only got fired last year because Corday wanted them. NBC clearly wanted Tomlin back. NBC did what they did in 2003 when they forced JER on Days. They forced Tomlin on Days because they didn't like MarDar and wanted the show to have a vision they support. So, what happened last year wasn't the typical Corday panicking. He never acts so quick to fire a writer. He usually forces a writer to go through several rewrites and vision changes before firing them. Firing MarDar that quick was not his style at all. So, I don't think you'll see Tomsell go anywhere, especially given they have NBC's stamp of approval.
The NCAA basketball stuff is on CBS as well as some of the cable channels ESPN etc
it isn't on NBC or ABC
Exactly my point. People may have gone to the games, worked the games, or watched the games. Days and GH are both big in the south and certain schools in the south have very huge fanbases for college basketball.

I'm not saying the show hasn't dropped a little in terms of quality this month. It's slowed down but that happens to every show and has to happen. I've been saying it for years and I stand by it. Quality hardly ever impacts the ratings. There is no rhyme or reason to them. Outside factors have far more to do with them than how good or bad a show is. That's been proven time and time again. I would still say this even if Days or any other show did well. I would still believe it had more to do with weather or some other factor and not how good the show was.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Mar 22 2013, 06:20 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2013, 06:19 PM
trojangal
PhoenixRising05

it isn't on NBC or ABC
Exactly my point. People may have gone to the games, worked the games, or watched the games. Days and GH are both big in the south and certain schools in the south have very huge fanbases for college basketball.

I'm not saying the show hasn't dropped a little in terms of quality this month. It's slowed down but that happens to every show and has to happen. I've been saying it for years and I stand by it. Quality hardly every impacts the ratings. There is no rhyme or reason to them. Outside factors have far more to do with them than how good or bad a show is. That's been proven time and time again. I would still say this even if Days or any other show did well. I would still believe it had more to do with weather or some other factor and not how good the show was.
I don't understand why you're digging for external factors. Seriously? People were at basketball games? Days had a HUGE loss, and we know of one external factor that there's no getting around. They also never did rebound, which is actually a little unusual. And we're supposed to buy that this particular week it also dropped because people were watching basketball? The ratings rarely line up with my personal opinion, so I'm with you on the show quality thing, but come on. The pope stuff interfered with the show's ratings and it also happened to be a pretty crappy week quality wise. Basketball has nothing to do with anything.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Mar 22 2013, 06:26 PM
PhoenixRising05
trojangal
PhoenixRising05

it isn't on NBC or ABC

I'm not saying the show hasn't dropped a little in terms of quality this month. It's slowed down but that happens to every show and has to happen. I've been saying it for years and I stand by it. Quality hardly every impacts the ratings. There is no rhyme or reason to them. Outside factors have far more to do with them than how good or bad a show is. That's been proven time and time again. I would still say this even if Days or any other show did well. I would still believe it had more to do with weather or some other factor and not how good the show was.
I don't understand why you're digging for external factors. Seriously? People were at basketball games? Days had a HUGE loss, and we know of one external factor that there's no getting around. They also never did rebound, which is actually a little unusual. And we're supposed to buy that this particular week it also dropped because people were watching basketball? The ratings rarely line up with my personal opinion, so I'm with you on the show quality thing, but come on. The pope stuff interfered with the show's ratings and it also happened to be a pretty crappy week quality wise. Basketball has nothing to do with anything.
It certainly could have. It has in the past, particularly once the big tournament starts (hence why I wouldn't be shocked to see bad numbers for this past Thursday and Friday).

Some years it doesn't have as big an impact but it has had an impact in the past. Therefore, I decided to bring it into the discussion. It's ok if you disagree. I'm used to being disagreed with. I just think people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the theory because it has been proven in the past at times. It seems most people always assume it's the quality or only the major factors (like the Pope) but sometimes stuff like sports, even if it's only regional coverage, can make a difference too. Clearly, you don't think so. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Back to lurkdom I go. I said my piece.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2013, 06:38 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05
trojangal

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

It certainly could have. It has in the past, particularly once the big tournament starts (hence why I wouldn't be shocked to see bad numbers for this past Thursday and Friday).

Some years it doesn't have as big an impact but it has had an impact in the past. Therefore, I decided to bring it into the discussion. It's ok if you disagree. I'm used to being disagreed with. I just think people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the theory because it has been proven in the past at times. It seems most people always assume it's the quality or only the major factors (like the Pope) but sometimes stuff like sports, even if it's only regional coverage, can make a difference too. Clearly, you don't think so. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Back to lurkdom I go. I said my piece.
I don't disagree that it can. I don't think it did this time because the first I even heard of it was you, lol. It's not like the beginning of the week was doing well. I just don't understand why there's a need to find another reason/excuse for poor ratings, when it's pretty obvious what the issue was this time and it had nothing to do with quality.

bomber
Member Avatar

Rather than blaming His Holiness I prefer to see last Wednesday as divine intervention trying to save us from the eternal hell that is Dannifer. Shame God can only works miracles occasionally though.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Mar 22 2013, 01:07 PM
Dazefan4now
Mar 22 2013, 12:44 PM
I say this a lot I know so here I go again...

It reminds me of Passions. Day after day of dialogue that barely does anything to move storylines along.
Admittedly, part of the reason I like the show again :embarrassed:

spartan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Mar 22 2013, 06:38 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05
trojangal

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Oh, I think basketball can have an impact. Nobody can say for sure it didn't. I know I went to Chicago to watch basketball that Thursday and Friday and the games were going on while Days was on for the Big Ten Tourney.

I'm not blaming basketball and the Pope and saying Days is great. If Days were great, basketball and anything should only have a marginal effect, not a loss of 300,000+. I do think it's at play though, and so I agree with you that it is a factor.

For that matter, my DVR recorded an hour's worth of the Detroit Mayor being found guilty of racketeering, etc charges on Monday, the 11th. There was no Days show here in Michigan.

I cannot believe Days counted Wednesday. Which executive can we credit for that brilliant decision? Seriously?

The show just needs to get better. I was loving February and now I'm back to watching most of the week's episodes on the weekend and that includes FF'ing thru Dannifer which I feel is a good bulk of the show. It's boring. Nothing happens. We have been in a holding pattern all month. Make something happen and entertain us.
Edited by spartan, Mar 23 2013, 09:50 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply