Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Exclusive Video of Jeanne Cooper facelift; EW Interview w/JC favorite Y&R Episode
Topic Started: Mar 22 2013, 02:36 PM (657 Views)
lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

"In honor of The Young and the Restless’ 40th anniversary on March 26, EW asked Jeanne Cooper — who, at 84, has been on the CBS soap longer than any of her castmates — to remember how she first came to the daytime drama in 1973 and why she’s still a part of the series today. She also selected some of her favorite episodes, linked below."

"(My agent) said ‘I know you. You won’t like doing it. Even with the stage you don’t like doing it for six months. You will get very bored playing the same person.’ I said you’re right, so I just kept hiding on island after island in Hawaii. Finally (Producer) John Conboy said, we have to have her. I caught a red-eye out for the table read. William Gray Espy, the young lead who played Snapper, warned everybody that I was a tough lady who doesn’t put up with a lot of nonsense. I was going to give it my all for three years but all of a sudden, when you are creating another person who grows with you, Katherine grew with me. I grew with her. It was fascinating. Then, of course, I got a divorce and couldn’t afford to be too terribly hard ass about what I was and wasn’t going to do. You have to admit, to have a paycheck coming in weekly for 40 years is pretty great. I did not join this show when I was 21. I was 45. Everybody was shocked I would do this and stay with it. [Co-creator] Bill Bell gave me carte blanche to do what I wanted."

“I was introduced as a dead drunk and went to a beauty salon dragging my fur coat on the floor like Tallulah Bankhead. I dropped my fur coat and said to Jill, ‘would you please pick that up for me.?’ It was all ad lib, but they liked it. My character was drunk for two or three years. It became a good storyline. Everywhere I go, people say, ‘Mrs. Chancellor! Thank you!’ People come up to shake my hand and all of a sudden there is a sobriety chip in my hand. I called AA about this and they said `Jeanne, if your character’s story made them sober and keeps them sober, then yes, keep the chip. Don’t offer it back. That’s their way of saying thank you.’ I did the same thing with cosmetic surgery. People thanked because it gave them the courage."

"You can have a life with this show. Lots of actresses say they want to do movie but that’s for only three months. It all depends on where you want to hang your lights. If you want to be a movie star, then this is entirely different. I never wanted to be a movie star. I always wanted to be an actress, one of the best. And I am.” (As told to Lynette Rice)"

See Video Here: InsideTV.ew.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply