Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Countdown: Best Hair and Wardrobe Fails
Topic Started: Mar 24 2013, 08:05 PM (4,023 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Guess what time it is! Let’s ask Kayla.

Posted Image

This week we asked you for your favorite bad hair/wardrobe moments. I found as many of them as I could. Here are some favorites from our members.

Let’s start with our only “lingerie” nominee. I’m using the word “lingerie” very liberally. This is more like a Wal-Mart bra.
Posted Image

Then again, maybe this counts as lingerie?

Posted Image

We also only had one nominee for facial hair. Bless Bo Brady’s heart. He rides a fine line with the location and amount of facial hair he can have.

Posted Image

One trend for our nominees was odd hats or headwear. Some of these outfits were nominees, too. I think you’ll know which ones. ;)

Even Bo is a little unsure about this one.
Posted Image

Meanwhile, John seems quite proud of the Lady Liberty crown Marlena is wearing.
Posted Image

Apparently, weddings and fancy gatherings are where we should all be wearing hats.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Even the men aren’t exempt.

Posted Image

Or you could be like Calliope. Any occasion is a good occasion for head ornaments.
Posted Image

When we got a first sight of Kristen DiMera back in Salem last year, a lot of people seemed to be surprised that she was wearing a hat.

Posted Image

Why anyone was surprised is beyond me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Speaking of recent complaints, a lot of us have been complaining about the recent sock bun fad.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Of course, the always fashion-forward Jennifer Rose had this look first back in 2006.

Posted Image

FYI, that dress Jennifer is wearing also got a nomination, but this was the best pic of it I could get.

While we’re on the subject of hair, we might as well revisit 2009. Don’t forget, this is the year the hair department got an Emmy nomination.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dear sweet Lord. Also, this was around the same time, but I think the year before.

Posted Image

The day I started the thread stating that we were going to do this, I immediately got three pm’s all for this next one. Immediately.

Posted Image

Dino Braid 2010. As reinforcement for our mocking, we were later rewarded with Dino Braid 2012.

Posted Image

Of course, there were hair problems long before 2009. At this point, it’s a little hard to separate which styles were truly a fail and which styles just don’t stand the test of time.

Posted Image

Rumor has it that there are a few more long lost DiMera siblings hiding in Megan’s hair here.

Posted Image

Mike’s mullet got the nomination, but I kind of think his Cosby sweater is getting off too easy.

And now we have come to the wardrobe portion of our list. I tried to categorize this, but honestly, it was really hard to categorize some of this crap. We’ll start with the only two men to make the list.

I have to be honest. I have no clue what’s going on in this pic. I’ve seen it before, and had always just assumed Steve was wearing this as some sort of lifeguard/safety precaution. Apparently, that’s not the case? Someone else will have to confirm, but if this is truly just a bright orange vest that he pulled out of his closet...well, I don’t know what to say about that.

Posted Image

When Stefano was keeping Marlena in Paris, he kept her impeccably (and over the top) dressed. He did not take that kind of time or care to dress himself.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Remember when big dresses were a thing?

Posted Image

I’m pretty sure this is what Anne of Green Gables was looking for when she asked for puffed sleeves.

Posted Image

Or maybe it was this. I feel confident that it wasn’t this.

Posted Image

Remember when Days hired Sarah Joy Brown? There was an interview at one point about the amazing wardrobe Madison was going to have. You know...all professional and chic. Relax, guys. Days knows what they’re doing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here are some more interesting everyday/work wardrobe choices.

Posted Image

Christie Clark said she was told this was the new fashion. What’s funny about that is that it kind of is now. But still. Only kind of. We had a close up of this sweater at one point, and I thought it was a screenshot of the scene in Bambi when they’re all running from the hunters.

Posted Image

First of all, it looks like there’s a Hot Wheels track on this outfit. Second of all, I think I had one of those windsuits in these colors around the same time she wore this. I was seven. She wasn’t.

Remember when Kristen played Little Orphan Annie? Me either.

Posted Image

This is what Sami chose to wear to court. I guess she wanted them to think she was Amish.

Posted Image

This is a terrible picture of a terrible outfit. Unfortunately, Marlena wore this for what seemed like years. In her defense, it wasn’t even hers. She stole it. Somewhere, there’s a lady still looking for this outfit.

Posted Image

This is the outfit Sami thought would make her look less pregnant. I don’t know how you all remember this, but the way I remember it, she didn’t look pregnant until she put this on. And suddenly she looked 13 months pregnant with triplets.

Posted Image

Finally! We had a clear winner with the most nominations of different outfits. And yes, these all were nominated by different people. This particular character had a bit of an advantage, though. This already existed:

But here are the favorites.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Look. This show has been on for 47 years. There have been a LOT of bad hair/wardrobe moments. There’s no way we’ll get them all. Feel free to bring over more pics and clips to discuss in this thread.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Oh my, the 80s were not kind to women with regards to fashion!

Thanks for putting this together, Lysie! Very funny.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

What a great write up...and fantastic selections. I literally snorted my way thru this. It's crazy how much of this is fairly recent...but the mention that they won an Emmy for the hair department in 2009 is just priceless! Great job, everyone!

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 24 2013, 08:05 PM
While we're on the subject of hair, we might as well revisit 2009. Don't forget, this is the year the hair department got an Emmy nomination.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!

This was awesome. Thanks!!

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Steve's safety vest was a cover so he and RoJohn could break into the sewers of Stockholm... but he just kept wearing the darn thing past all logical sense.

Excellent job!
Edited by granolagirl, Mar 24 2013, 09:36 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Mar 24 2013, 09:34 PM
Steve's safety vest was a cover so he and RoJohn could breaking into the sewers of Stockholm... but he just kept wearing the darn thing past all logical sense.

Excellent job!
Well, that's better than what I was imagining.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

This was awesome. Who could forget Calliope's hats? She was cool before Ms. Frizzle was cool!

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
Mar 24 2013, 09:35 PM
granolagirl
Mar 24 2013, 09:34 PM
Steve's safety vest was a cover so he and RoJohn could breaking into the sewers of Stockholm... but he just kept wearing the darn thing past all logical sense.

Excellent job!
Well, that's better than what I was imagining.
But I failed to nominate his black shirt with the leopard print on the shoulders. That's even worse than the safety vest and he actually did pull it out of his closet.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I.... um.... always liked the big evening gowns in the 80s (I especially LOVE the black & white one on Hope). And I still love quite a few of them.

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 24 2013, 10:11 PM
I.... um.... always liked the big evening gowns in the 80s (I especially LOVE the black & white one on Hope). And I still love quite a few of them.
I would have loved them when I was five. And one day when style goes back in that direction, I may love them again.

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

this was awesome! Thanks for putting it together. I pray we NEVER get that long hair on Ej again!

jwsel
Member Avatar

That's fantastic.

I always love it when you can tell that the wardrobe department got a discount for buying in bulk. Last year, during the safe house storyline, it looked like they got a discount on leather jackets. For the Stockholm storyline in 1986, it was trench-coats. They were so ubiquitous that I half-expected the Kiriakis maid to start wearing one to dust the furniture.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

lysie
Let’s start with our only “lingerie” nominee. I’m using the word “lingerie” very liberally. This is more like a Wal-Mart bra.
Posted Image
LOL wow :puke:

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

ladyofthelake
Mar 24 2013, 09:44 PM
This was awesome. Who could forget Calliope's hats? She was cool before Ms. Frizzle was cool!
let's also not forget her light-up wedding dress. lol.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Matt
Mar 24 2013, 10:11 PM
Hope & Anna looked fabulous in the crazy OTT evening gowns of the 80s, there's no denying that. It's more the fact that there's so many ruffles on Anna's & Hope's shoulders are so wide. I wonder if she had to turn sideways to walk through doorways. And how did Hope fit in the car? Did she have to sit in the middle of the back seat?

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

Shick
Mar 25 2013, 01:30 AM
lysie
The stories associated with why CC chose to wear that bra and one just like it that ended up on the 45th book tour. So many strange memories - some of which I'd rather forget, but I can't cause they were so damn funny & awkward.

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Mar 25 2013, 01:48 AM
Shick
Mar 25 2013, 01:30 AM
lysie
The stories associated with why CC chose to wear that bra and one just like it that ended up on the 45th book tour. So many strange memories - some of which I'd rather forget, but I can't cause they were so damn funny & awkward.
lol, I clearly remember :)

The black & white evening gown Hope wore to the Hospital Benefit/Bope's surprise anniversary was stunning IMO!

That clock-shirt Kayla wore, oh my...

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

So, spill the beans.............WHY did CC want that bra?

Laufeyson
Member Avatar

Anna's dress may have had one too many ruffles and Hope's was too puffy, she had to walk sideways through a door but they were both gorgeous. Dressing up was such an occasion, I love it!

sonwill
Member Avatar

While not half as bad as some of the outfits in this thread, I have to give some special mention to this bowling team like shirt Sonny once wore. Urgh.

Posted Image
Edited by sonwill, Mar 25 2013, 09:16 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply