Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Breaking News: OLTL Stars Head Back to GH
Topic Started: Mar 25 2013, 09:31 AM (3,345 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

Breaking News: One Life to Live Stars Head Back to General Hospital

Mar 25, 2013 09:42 AM ET
by Michael Logan

Will General Hospital fans accept Michael Easton, Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson in brand new roles? They might have to!

Multiple sources tell TV Guide Magazine that the trio of former One Life to Live stars — who've been embroiled in a tug-of-war between ABC and Prospect Park, the company that's producing the upcoming OLTL reboot — will soon return to GH after being forced to vacate the show for several weeks.

But here's the kicker: It seems we'll no longer see Easton as John McBain, ditto Howarth as Todd Manning or Alderson as Todd's daughter Starr. ABC doesn't want to risk any more legal entanglements with Prospect Park, which currently owns the rights to all OLTL characters, and the only way to do that is to have the three stars play characters that in no way resemble the current ones. Word is, GH head writer Ron Carlivati is devising some clever ways to work around the headache, even though John, Todd and Starr are now tightly woven into Port Charles society and all three are involved in blooming romances.

"Prospect Park has been extremely difficult to deal with on this issue so GH basically said, 'Screw it! We'll create all new characters!'" notes one source privy to the situation. "It's the only way GH can get past the problem and get on with business."

Neither GH nor ABC will confirm this wild development, but no one's denying it, either. "I can't really comment for legal reasons," says GH exec producer Frank Valentini. "It's not like I'm trying to keep a secret. [ABC] doesn't want me to say anything." We also asked ABC Daytime chief Vicki Dummer to comment on the matter but she only coughed up a cryptic, "All I can really say right now is...stay tuned."

Waiting for the fur to stop flying "has been crazy," says Thom Racina, one of the head writers of the new OLTL. "First it was, 'Yes, we have these actors,' then it was, 'No, we don't have them.' I don't know that any show has ever gone through this kind of thing before. It's a very unique situation what with all these legal issues between the [two parties] but we came out of it very happily. You'll see."

We have no doubt that Carlivati —whose work on GH has been simply stellar — is the perfect guy to pull off this magic trick. Besides, if we soap fans can accept evil twins and peeps coming back from the dead, we can certainly get past a few sudden identity changes, right?

"I think it's going to turn out well for everybody," Racina says of the brouhaha. "The soap audience, as we know, is very forgiving."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/One-Life-Live-General-Hospital-1063142.aspx

Edited by Daytime, Mar 25 2013, 09:32 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Crazy.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Wow...and the drama continues.

If this is true, I will really miss Todd Manning's one-liners. When he called Heather a "bad luck Troll" and referred to Spinelli as a Hobbit, I just about died. I am happy to have Roger Howarth on the canvas as he is a fantastic actor who puts a lot of thought into his craft. I hadn't seen any of his work before the crossover and have spent some time on YouTube watching his old OLTL scenes (loved him with Moose!). My feelings on Michael Easton and Kristen Alderson coming back in different roles are more mixed (especially Kristen). I thought Easton mixed in well with the GH cast, but Alderson wasn't quite on the same acting-level. JMO.
Edited by JarlenaLante, Mar 25 2013, 10:36 AM.

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Hmm- wonder who their new characters are like..

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

Eww no. I mean it was one thing to take already made characters, drop them into GH and have people accept them into the show. And now that some of the audience has they're going to bring them back as completely different characters? That's pure fuckery. Are they going to find a way to still pair up KA's new character with Michael, or RH with Carly and ME with Sam, that's a tall order and I'm not really looking forward to it. As much as I was looking forward to the McBam pairing, I dunno if I'll be willing to go in it for another round.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

Ridiculous! :ermm:

LPS
Member Avatar

BOOOO!!!! Send KA back! I don't know how this chick keeps getting jobs. She's a step above Yvonne Zima.

In regards to ME, I don't mind him as Caleb, but I don't know if he can play a different character and make it work.

I like RH, but not with Carly. They should drop KA and ME and bring on the actress who played Blair.

IMO, this will turn out to be a disaster. GH can make it without these three specific actors. Usually, when writers write roles for an actor in mind (versus writing for characters for a storyline in mind) it turns out to be a mess.
Edited by LPS, Mar 25 2013, 12:11 PM.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Two words to describe the eventual outcome of this......

EPIC FAIL!

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

All new characters? Why? I hate this!

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

This is just so stupid...

I agree about KA too. I thought she was a decent actress when she was really small on OLTL but now, no thank you.

wkline
Member Avatar

This is ridiculous.. :soapbox:
Edited by wkline, Mar 25 2013, 12:28 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This is so stupid! I get that Todd and Starr are pretty important characters to OLTL, but they aren't OLTL! You can have a show without them, especially if they're bringing St. John back as Victor. Have him be the "new Todd." He did it for 8 years anyway.

Carlivati has successfully incorporated Starr, Todd and John onto GH. I don't know how easy that's going to be a second time. Especially if he wants to keep the successful pairings they have (Starr/Michael, Todd/Carly, John/Sam). It would be very stupid for Alderson, Howarth and Easton to come back to GH as brand new characters and fall for the same characters as their previous roles did.

Just let them be the characters they've been playing.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

It is going to be hard, but when you watch a soap you have to suspend beliefs. I think GH will have an easier time creating new characters with the actors than PP will having to recast the roles. It is too bad they couldn't work out a deal where they could have been on both.

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
Brenda: "Let the fireworks begin." Sonny: "With you and me, Brenda, it's guaranteed."

What's the purpose? Why dont they just not come back at all................

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

YES So Happy! I really want Michael Easton back to GH i don't care who play the role i just want to see ME on GH!!!!!
Edited by Keisha, Mar 25 2013, 07:59 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

This is really stupid! You would think it would be in PP's best interests to "lease" the characters to GH. They could have probably made some money and got some cross promotion for OLTL. :shame:

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Keisha
Mar 25 2013, 04:27 PM
i just want to see ME on GH!!!!!
I wanna see you on GH TOO!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

This reeks of something DAYS would (and has done terrible) do.

Jarliana

Prospect trying to hang on to the three characters will fail because if they try to recast their characters wth other actors the fans won't be too happy about that especially if they are trying to relaunch a canceled show. They might as well let GH have them because it wouldn't be the same. Those three actors have played those roles for a long time. If GH does put them in other roles it wouldn't look bad for them because they would still have the three in their show, but recasting John, Starr, and Todd with someone else will fail and could affect the relaunching of the show.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Mar 25 2013, 05:32 PM
This reeks of something DAYS would (and has done terrible) do.

Yeah, remember the debacle of Alex North (Wayne Nothrup)?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply