Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, March 29th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 29 2013, 06:52 AM (6,652 Views)
Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

i'm still having trouble attributing Nick's homophobia to him being raped in prison (if that is indeed what happened to him), especially considering GH did a similar prison rape storyline a year or so ago with Michael.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Mar 29 2013, 07:28 PM
i'm still having trouble attributing Nick's homophobia to him being raped in prison (if that is indeed what happened to him), especially considering GH did a similar prison rape storyline a year or so ago with Michael.
Well, he could be just a homophobic asshole and was like that even before prison. I dunno, at this point, if the show is looking to redeem the character, that's the only route I can think of. Some might fall for it, but he still gets no sympathy from me. He's supposed to be smart. He should be able to separate prison rape from your average homosexual in a relationship.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Pookie
Mar 29 2013, 07:36 PM
Supergirlx2
Well, he could be just a homophobic asshole and was like that even before prison. I dunno, at this point, if the show is looking to redeem the character, that's the only route I can think of. Some might fall for it, but he still gets no sympathy from me. He's supposed to be smart. He should be able to separate prison rape from your average homosexual in a relationship.
i think that the only reason they're making Nick to be a homophobic ass is because they needed someone to be the antagonist in this baby storyline. there wouldn't be much of a story if everyone were ok with everyone else. plus, there would be no way to insert half of Salem into the story and turn it into an expansive multi-character story that really doesn't make much progress in story telling from one week to the next. Sami & EJ plotted to get back at Nick in between their sex rounds how many weeks ago? and they have yet to come up with any sort of plan and begin to think about implementing it. from the sounds of it, Kate will come up with a plan and implement it way before EJ & Sami (and Kate wasn't even talking about plotting against Nick a few weeks ago).
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Wait! EJ and Sami have a plan! Move into the mansion in return for Stefano's help. We'll just ignore that Stefano doesn't know about it yet. And surprise, surprise! Will, who has been so proactive in this whole fight (ahem) is going to go along with it! Hey, maybe next time they can all go with Lucas to try to steal evidence. Kate is right this is amateur hour! My money is on Kate here!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Mar 29 2013, 07:55 PM
Pookie
Supergirlx2
i think that the only reason they're making Nick to be a homophobic ass is because they needed someone to be the antagonist in this baby storyline. there wouldn't be much of a story if everyone were ok with everyone else. plus, there would be no way to insert half of Salem into the story and turn it into an expansive multi-character story that really doesn't make much progress in story telling from one week to the next. Sami & EJ plotted to get back at Nick in between their sex rounds how many weeks ago? and they have yet to come up with any sort of plan and begin to think about implementing it. from the sounds of it, Kate will come up with a plan and implement it way before EJ & Sami (and Kate wasn't even talking about plotting against Nick a few weeks ago).
Well, if that's the case, then the writers are destroying the character and making him unredeemable to the point he either has to die or leave town. And Vargas is their exit strategy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Pookie
Supergirlx2
Well, he could be just a homophobic asshole and was like that even before prison. I dunno, at this point, if the show is looking to redeem the character, that's the only route I can think of. Some might fall for it, but he still gets no sympathy from me. He's supposed to be smart. He should be able to separate prison rape from your average homosexual in a relationship.o
If they go with the prison rape storyline I don't think Nick's intellect would influence the emotional impact of being raped. I mean, I really hope they do not go there since it just seems cheap, but having emotional scars from rape happens to victims no matter how smart they are. However, with this show I don't trust them to handle a rape storyline well. In real life, people are traumatized by rape. On this show, they date them!
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

If they make Vargas gay, I'm flying to Burbank to punch someone...

Dude is way too hot, and needs to be having wild sex with Nicole to make "Father" Eric jealous.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

Vargas is 100000x more interesting than Fetch. that's all i got from this eppi.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

I wouldn't mind Vargas being gay IF he did not rape Nick. If he did rape Nick, then let him be straight. Too many stereotypes against homosexuals out there -no need to reinforce them through a stupid plot twist.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Cathalina
Mar 29 2013, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't mind Vargas being gay IF he did not rape Nick. If he did rape Nick, then let him be straight. Too many stereotypes against homosexuals out there -no need to reinforce them through a stupid plot twist.
Maybe Vargas was Nick's "pimp" and he whored Nick out for prison favors.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Actually, the pimp idea is kind of interesting considering that he DID stab Nick. Maybe to put him in his place?
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Just read a spoiler that sounds like he's a pimp.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AFaithL

Vargas tells Nick he's about to get his hands on the money he made for him in prison.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harlee Kin
Member Avatar

Well I stopped watching the show when the spotlight returned to Shouty Sami. But Vargas seems to have a WAY bigger role than I ever imagined. As for him being gay, I think everyone is gay, Jett, Jeremy to me, screamed GAY GAY GAY.

At any rate, I seriously object to the show basing a person's sexuality or bias of another's sexuality on rape. This show REALLY does not know how to deal with that subject. Also, it correlates homosexuals with rapists. Do they think they are Fox News and doing a" balanced" piece with Nick? Look, there is enough violence in prison to write a dark dramatic storyline, they do not need to irresponsible explore the gay thing.

I agree with the poster who stated above they made Nick homophobic because they simply needed a foil to the Will BabyMama Story.
Edited by Harlee Kin, Mar 29 2013, 10:32 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

NicGil

AFaithL
Mar 29 2013, 10:23 PM
Vargas tells Nick he's about to get his hands on the money he made for him in prison.
I thought maybe he was selling drugs for him since Nick had that flashback to the pills. Perhaps that is how Vargas made money off of him. I'm still looking for SOMETHING to explain Nick's homophobia. I think BB is an excellent actor, but so far I have had very little sympathy for Nick even knowing he had such a hard time in prison.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Mar 29 2013, 10:21 PM
Just read a spoiler that sounds like he's a pimp.
Either link to it or don't mention it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

supercool74
Member Avatar

I don't know about the whole rape in prison theory. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I just find it odd that this guy has been in prison for 10 years and hasn't tried to put the moves on Nicole or even showed an inkling of flirting. Even his "I'm good with my hands" came off as very serious and didn't have any other meaning to me. He just doesn't seem interested and I keep expecting something like that to happen. Plus they still haven't explained this whole wedding band on the left hand thing. I was thinking maybe he didn't rape Nick but is gay and Nick just hates him so much for the way he beat him and stabbed him that he just pushed those feelings on all gay people. I don't know. Maybe he's not gay, but he just is acting odd to me around the ladies. Not what I would expect. Maybe he really is just a gentleman. :huh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Cathalina
Mar 29 2013, 08:18 PM
Pookie
Supergirlx2
Well, he could be just a homophobic asshole and was like that even before prison. I dunno, at this point, if the show is looking to redeem the character, that's the only route I can think of. Some might fall for it, but he still gets no sympathy from me. He's supposed to be smart. He should be able to separate prison rape from your average homosexual in a relationship.o
If they go with the prison rape storyline I don't think Nick's intellect would influence the emotional impact of being raped. I mean, I really hope they do not go there since it just seems cheap, but having emotional scars from rape happens to victims no matter how smart they are. However, with this show I don't trust them to handle a rape storyline well. In real life, people are traumatized by rape. On this show, they date them!
They wouldn't line hope up with someone who raped nick in prison.
That would make for super awkward Horton Christmas tree ornament hangings.

Note all of the above is speculation and does not link back to anything we have yet seen on screen except for the existence of Horton Christmas tree ornament hangings and all three characters.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Graceland
Member Avatar

In prison sex has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. That's the way it goes. You make do with what's available. Blake Berris said that what happened to Nick in prison is what made him homophobic. It's obvious that he was raped or pimped out. When it comes to Days, it doesn't matter if another show already did it.
Edited by Graceland, Mar 30 2013, 06:52 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

If Nick was raped in prison and that's why he's doing what he's doing, it's still morally objectionable, because the show is sending a message the homophobia is "understandable" and people have good reasons for it. This week a prominent physician, professor and potential presidential candidate compared being gay to pedophilia and bestiality. I'm going out on a limb and say he doesn't think that because he was raped by a man. He thinks it because he's a bigot.

Show me a plotline where a female rape victim starts objecting to heterosexuality, and I'll start discussing whether this makes sense. Instead, female rape victims are usually blamed because they "didn't act like ladies" or drank or wore short skirt, and therefor were asking for it. That is equally bullshit, but I've never seen a soap do a plotline about it because that would be socially irresponsible.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic