Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Friday, March 29th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Mar 29 2013, 06:52 AM (6,650 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

supercool74
Mar 29 2013, 11:09 PM
I don't know about the whole rape in prison theory. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I just find it odd that this guy has been in prison for 10 years and hasn't tried to put the moves on Nicole or even showed an inkling of flirting. Even his "I'm good with my hands" came off as very serious and didn't have any other meaning to me. He just doesn't seem interested and I keep expecting something like that to happen. Plus they still haven't explained this whole wedding band on the left hand thing. I was thinking maybe he didn't rape Nick but is gay and Nick just hates him so much for the way he beat him and stabbed him that he just pushed those feelings on all gay people. I don't know. Maybe he's not gay, but he just is acting odd to me around the ladies. Not what I would expect. Maybe he really is just a gentleman. :huh:
Did they ever say why Vargas was in prison?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

Graceland
Mar 30 2013, 06:51 AM
In prison sex has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. That's the way it goes. You make do with what's available. Blake Berris said that what happened to Nick in prison is what made him homophobic. It's obvious that he was raped or pimped out. When it comes to Days, it doesn't matter if another show already did it.
I would take issue with this since it plays up the idea that homosexuality is not a choice but in fact a reaction to some trauma like a psychological condition. OR if they make Nick be suffering from PTSD which is making him interpret this situation that way, and have him realize it was wrong and recant it. This show fumbled the ball on rape, and it made me angry. If the screw this up, I definitely will be cancelling this on my DVR. Gay people have it hard enough. They do not need a show screwing them over.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Cathalina
Mar 30 2013, 08:43 AM
Graceland
In prison sex has nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. That's the way it goes. You make do with what's available. Blake Berris said that what happened to Nick in prison is what made him homophobic. It's obvious that he was raped or pimped out. When it comes to Days, it doesn't matter if another show already did it.
I would take issue with this since it plays up the idea that homosexuality is not a choice but in fact a reaction to some trauma like a psychological condition. OR if they make Nick be suffering from PTSD which is making him interpret this situation that way, and have him realize it was wrong and recant it. This show fumbled the ball on rape, and it made me angry. If the screw this up, I definitely will be cancelling this on my DVR. Gay people have it hard enough. They do not need a show screwing them over.
I like the PTSD angle. I would love to say since they botched Jack's story up, they could redeem themselves by making a good story for Nick. But I think I would be living in lala land. It is a nice dream!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Cathalina
Graceland
But they're not trying to say homoSEXUALITY is caused by trauma. They're trying to say Nick's homoPHOBIA is a result of trauma. Maybe the writers end goal is to have Nick finally realize what happened to him in prison has nothing to do with Will and Sonny and their relationship. That is, if their goal is to redeem Nick.

Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Pookie
Mar 30 2013, 10:52 AM
Cathalina
Graceland
But they're not trying to say homoSEXUALITY is caused by trauma. They're trying to say Nick's homoPHOBIA is a result of trauma. Maybe the writers end goal is to have Nick finally realize what happened to him in prison has nothing to do with Will and Sonny and their relationship. That is, if their goal is to redeem Nick.

and that would be a good way to tell this story IMHO. A good amount of the people that are homophobic are just ignorant assholes, but others might have been adversely affected by life trauma of some kind. For example, if a man that was once abused as a child by a pedophile grows up to not accept homosexuals because of his experience alone, then that could lead to a story where the person through education, knowledge and self awareness learns to see the true problem never was about the homosexuality but about the criminal nature of the crime committed against him. I don't excuse it, but I can see where the person's mindset might, and I repeat, MIGHT be coming from. Then obviously through education and knowledge the person's mindset changes. He might realize that pedophiles are criminals and not homosexuals, that heterosexuals can also be pedophiles and criminals, they can be married have children of their own, etc and still abuse children, rape adults, etc. I want Days to really go deep with this because it's the only story worth while today on Days. They are touching not just homophobia, but also the right of homosexual parents to raise their flesh and blood without fear of retribution from family, friends, laws, etc....it's a great message, carried by a great story.....now if they end up redeeming Nick in the process and not making him into someone that I can't stand, then it'll be a plus, plus in the end.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

ladyofthelake
Mar 30 2013, 08:24 AM
supercool74
Mar 29 2013, 11:09 PM
I don't know about the whole rape in prison theory. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. I just find it odd that this guy has been in prison for 10 years and hasn't tried to put the moves on Nicole or even showed an inkling of flirting. Even his "I'm good with my hands" came off as very serious and didn't have any other meaning to me. He just doesn't seem interested and I keep expecting something like that to happen. Plus they still haven't explained this whole wedding band on the left hand thing. I was thinking maybe he didn't rape Nick but is gay and Nick just hates him so much for the way he beat him and stabbed him that he just pushed those feelings on all gay people. I don't know. Maybe he's not gay, but he just is acting odd to me around the ladies. Not what I would expect. Maybe he really is just a gentleman. :huh:
Did they ever say why Vargas was in prison?
I'm not sure. I don't think so. All we know is that his original sentence was 7 years, but he got 3 more because of something Nick said to a guard (or at the very least, Vargas blames Nick for the extra 3 years).
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

Days should have bought some stock footage of Brazil. Couldn't stand when Nancy moved the laptop to the window and we didn't get to see the result!
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

Honeybees
Mar 30 2013, 07:03 AM
If Nick was raped in prison and that's why he's doing what he's doing, it's still morally objectionable, because the show is sending a message the homophobia is "understandable" and people have good reasons for it. This week a prominent physician, professor and potential presidential candidate compared being gay to pedophilia and bestiality. I'm going out on a limb and say he doesn't think that because he was raped by a man. He thinks it because he's a bigot.

Show me a plotline where a female rape victim starts objecting to heterosexuality, and I'll start discussing whether this makes sense. Instead, female rape victims are usually blamed because they "didn't act like ladies" or drank or wore short skirt, and therefor were asking for it. That is equally bullshit, but I've never seen a soap do a plotline about it because that would be socially irresponsible.
I think some people are reading too much into this, and a correction: Ben Anderson did not compare gay marriage to bestiality. That was the spin though. He simply made a slipper slope argument about redefining marriage. See this article: http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-dr-ben-carson-shouldn%E2%80%99t-have-to-apologize-for-his-%E2%80%98bestiality%E2%80%99-remark/

But back on topic: What people sometimes forget is that this is Nick's story, just like Gabi's is Gabi's story. IF Nick became homophobic because of his time in prison, that's okay. It shouldn't suggest it's sending a message that's right or wrong. It's just Nick's story. It's what legitimately happened to him. Because in real life, people respond to things differently from others. And it's not always PC.
Edited by nightfan, Mar 30 2013, 02:45 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

Watched Friday's show! It was really great! Keep in mind I FFed through Chloe/Jen and Daniel/Maggie. I tried to watch it, I really tried, but it was just a no go. :shame:

I LOVED Rate. They are so fun and sexy. I really like Rafe in this relationship. He's a little lighter and more go with the flow. I honestly believe that there is something magical between Kate's thighs (for you Scandal fans ;) ) because he cannot get enough of her AND isn't worried about Stefano. I always love Kate to I love that she is happy and having fun. Just please don't throw love into this coupling, writers! Keep it fun!

I thought the Rafe/Daniel scenes were hilarious. As soon as he saw Kate, he connected the dots quickly. :laugh:

I saw a bit more sparks with Hope and Vargas, just a few. I think he has more chemistry with Nicole at the moment. When Nick saw Vargas with that monkey wrench in his hand, the look on his face! It's a long time coming!

Maggie and Gabi had some nice moments. That's all I remember about them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

Chloe and Jennifer's dynamic is fascinating, I think, because it's so rare that two women of drastically different ages fight over the same man. (At least, in my community, it is.)

I'm hoping, to goodness, that the show will show "happier times" between Jennifer and Chloe. Does anyone remember if the two shared scenes when Chloe was still ghoul girl or otherwise a relatively sweet high school student, and Jen was, even then, an old mom?
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but was the year that Nadia graduated the same year that Jennifer (as editor in chief of The Spectator) gave the commencement address at Salem High?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Honeybees
Member Avatar

nightfan
Mar 30 2013, 02:44 PM
Honeybees
If Nick was raped in prison and that's why he's doing what he's doing, it's still morally objectionable, because the show is sending a message the homophobia is "understandable" and people have good reasons for it. This week a prominent physician, professor and potential presidential candidate compared being gay to pedophilia and bestiality. I'm going out on a limb and say he doesn't think that because he was raped by a man. He thinks it because he's a bigot.

Show me a plotline where a female rape victim starts objecting to heterosexuality, and I'll start discussing whether this makes sense. Instead, female rape victims are usually blamed because they "didn't act like ladies" or drank or wore short skirt, and therefor were asking for it. That is equally bullshit, but I've never seen a soap do a plotline about it because that would be socially irresponsible.
I think some people are reading too much into this, and a correction: Ben Anderson did not compare gay marriage to bestiality. That was the spin though. He simply made a slipper slope argument about redefining marriage. See this article: http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-dr-ben-carson-shouldn%E2%80%99t-have-to-apologize-for-his-%E2%80%98bestiality%E2%80%99-remark/

But back on topic: What people sometimes forget is that this is Nick's story, just like Gabi's is Gabi's story. IF Nick became homophobic because of his time in prison, that's okay. It shouldn't suggest it's sending a message that's right or wrong. It's just Nick's story. It's what legitimately happened to him. Because in real life, people respond to things differently from others. And it's not always PC.
Re-Correction: It's not spin. If you put gay people on the same "slippery slope" as bestiality and pedophilia that is putting them in the same category. It is comparing them. That is not spin. That is calling him out on vile, casual bigotry, and it's perfectly okay to call him out for what he is. The rollback was spin.

And if you want to throw the "politically correct" label on me or writer or anyone else, I for one, wear it proudly. For me, it means respecting others. For me it means, not being ignorant. For me, it means that marginalized people are finally fighting back against the words and ideas the kept them from being full members of society. It's a wonderful thing, and there's no shame in it.
Edited by Honeybees, Mar 31 2013, 11:19 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

While Daniel was talking on the phone with Nancy, he recognized that someone was speaking Portuguese in the background. Many wonder how he could be so astute. I'm going with either (a) he spent a lot of time in Rio during his surfer days, and/or (b) at some point the Girl from Ipanema was one of his patients.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar
Ineffable!

I hate suffering Jennifer's hysterics.
I hate listening to Daniel.
I find nothing root able about either character individually more less together.
I hate that Chloe is psychotic because of Daniel.
I hate that Nicole fell in love with Daniel.
I hate that Daniel is Maggie's son.
I hate that Parker is Daniel's son.

Oi.
Edited by mer4santo, Mar 31 2013, 04:36 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

mer4santo
Mar 31 2013, 04:35 PM
I hate suffering Jennifer's hysterics.
I hate listening to Daniel.
I find nothing root able about either character individually more less together.
I hate that Chloe is psychotic because of Daniel.
I hate that Nicole fell in love with Daniel.
I hate that Daniel is Maggie's son.
I hate that Parker is Daniel's son.

Oi.
Damn, you're hard to please.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

Honeybees
Mar 31 2013, 11:15 AM
nightfan
Honeybees

Re-Correction: It's not spin. If you put gay people on the same "slippery slope" as bestiality and pedophilia that is putting them in the same category. It is comparing them. That is not spin. That is calling him out on vile, casual bigotry, and it's perfectly okay to call him out for what he is. The rollback was spin.

And if you want to throw the "politically correct" label on me or writer or anyone else, I for one, wear it proudly. For me, it means respecting others. For me it means, not being ignorant. For me, it means that marginalized people are finally fighting back against the words and ideas the kept them from being full members of society. It's a wonderful thing, and there's no shame in it.
this is a very complicated issue. People have deep biblical beliefs about this and deep conspiracy-related beliefs about this general outlying issue.
I won't call anyone names and wish others wouldn't, just because they disagree. this isn't the board, though, and it's not the topic for this discussion. So I just want to agree to disagree.
And please remember 1984, thought police and all that other stuff. We're seeing that happen now. Without delving into the hot-button issue, I would caution that PC is something to be avoided. Diversity of views isn't diversity of views or tolerance when people, ironically, can't accept that some people are intolerant of their choices. it all goes the same way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

Honeybees
Mar 31 2013, 11:15 AM
nightfan
Honeybees

And a reminder: PC gone mad is what brought us such gems as "handicapable" and "vertically challenged." It's going overboard or overcorrecting truths. It's actually not accepting people for who they are, but often is patronizing. Not always, of course. But PC, often, limits freedom of speech. And I'm a defender, professionally, of free speech. That's why I naturally would oppose political correctness, which logically, has a slippery slope that leads to censorship. We're seeing it already.
Offline Profile Goto Top

nightfan

annie21
Mar 31 2013, 02:37 PM
While Daniel was talking on the phone with Nancy, he recognized that someone was speaking Portuguese in the background. Many wonder how he could be so astute. I'm going with either (a) he spent a lot of time in Rio during his surfer days, and/or (b) at some point the Girl from Ipanema was one of his patients.
I believe it has to do with his surfing while working with Doctors without Borders. That way, he can have fun while being responsible and caring - and more important, come out looking sweet as a rose (Jennifer Rose, to be exact!) to the audience.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic