Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Australia's Channel 9 to drop 'Days'
Topic Started: Apr 14 2013, 04:40 PM (3,974 Views)
bomber
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Apr 14 2013, 09:53 PM
bomber
Apr 14 2013, 07:55 PM
ohgreatone22
Apr 14 2013, 07:24 PM
Wow, that sucks for the Australians. I find it interesting that Days won their timeslot there, but they're still canceling it. What kind of network does that?
I think a major problem was that a few years ago they decided to skip a few years of episodes to try to catch up with U.S. and lost a lot of viewers in the process. One day you were watching your favourite couples and the next day a whole new set of characters were on. A lot of long time fans just tuned out. I know my sister was pretty upset!
didn't they do a short "here's a summary of all the stuff that happened during the stuff we're skipping over & here's what's going on now" video to try to ease the transition?
Yes but when you're invested in one lot of characters and stories it's a big ask to be expected to suddenly forget all that and start again.

I didn't realise it was more than 8 years ago that they transitioned. I remember when I left Australia in 1991 and it was still 1987 in Salem and New Zealand was another year or so behind Australia!
Edited by bomber, Apr 15 2013, 01:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Here in Denmark, the channel that originally aired DAYS dropped it a few years back. Luckily one of it's sister-channels picked it up! Phew :) Currently we're seeing episodes fom january 2010.

I feel sad for the Australian viewers, hopefully another channel will pick it up.

MarvinPepper
Member Avatar

Word on the street is that Sony has done a deal with Australian cable network Foxtel to pick up the show and fast-track episodes of DAYS from the US. Foxtel did the same thing with Young and the Restless when Channel 9 (free-to-air) axed it in 2007.

It's a shame that Nine has axed the soap after so long, but hardly surprising given it's sliding ratings over the past few years, especially since Tomlin & co killed the supercouple concept.
Edited by MarvinPepper, Apr 15 2013, 05:38 AM.

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

Since Days has dropped all the good couples, Bope, Jarlena, Lumi, Ejole, Stayla, and others in favor of the crapola thats on now, I can see why it might end up being cancelled here too. You can't tick off the majority of fans and expect them to keep watching. I guess the Australian fans did not like what was suddenly on screen. Its okay, I don't like it either.

Snazzles64

Hi all, i live in Australia and am a huge Days fan. Been watching it for many many years. Grew up watching it with my granny and mum and continued watching. I cannot believe channel 9 over here have axed such an iconic show. It makes no sense as it was winning its time slot. Many people today have bombarded the channel 9 facebook page only to be told that yes it has not been renewed and it will last be screened here on april 26th. So many people are fuming. It appeals to all ages but perhaps the worst effected will be the older generation that live each day for this soap. I run the days of our lives australian fans fb group and started a petition to try and keep it on our screens....already there are people mentioning their elderly grandmas etc that will be devastated without it. Believe me it is not the first time this particular channel has angered people

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

I LOVE the fact that Leann Hunley (ex-Anna) is mentioned among the "glamorous women" of the 80s with Kristian and Deidre. Why oh why isn't Leann on the show? She's made it clear she'd love to be in Salem full time, and we need Anna. Few actresses on Days have been able to do great comedy and gripping drama within the same episode. She's a class act all the way.

james0479
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Apr 15 2013, 07:28 AM
I LOVE the fact that Leann Hunley (ex-Anna) is mentioned among the "glamorous women" of the 80s with Kristian and Deidre. Why oh why isn't Leann on the show? She's made it clear she'd love to be in Salem full time, and we need Anna. Few actresses on Days have been able to do great comedy and gripping drama within the same episode. She's a class act all the way.
It was nothing but a damn shame that we didn't get to see the Anna/Carrie story when Christie Clark was on the show. That's a story that writes itself and has yet to be told. Anna is a phenomenal character and I'd welcome her back anytime. Imagine her and Kristen!! OMG.

This truly sucks for my Aussie friends. They have a last airdate. Does anyone know what episode will serve as their final Days episode?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I wanted Anna to try to scheme her way in between Marlena & Carrie's bond and take opposing sides on the Austin/Carrie/Rafe debacle while also clashing with Kate (consider they ALSO have a "marriage" to Roman in common). *sigh* Missed opportunities.

james0479
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 15 2013, 11:55 AM
I wanted Anna to try to scheme her way in between Marlena & Carrie's bond and take opposing sides on the Austin/Carrie/Rafe debacle while also clashing with Kate (consider they ALSO have a "marriage" to Roman in common). *sigh* Missed opportunities.
This!!!!! So many great opportunities. Geez

Manny
Member Avatar

Days airs in Croatia too... I believe it's their 3rd year in a row now.. but they air it at 6am or something like that.. they tried it at 11am and 2pm (I think) and obviously the ratings sucked so they moved it back to 6am.

I think the episodes airing now are from 2008.. not sure though.. I stumbled upon the show the other day as I was getting ready to work and there was a scene with Stefano in the hospital and John was there and they were talking about Colleen Brady.. I obviously changed the channel immediately :)

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

i think it more due to sony it 2010 both young and restless and days were cancel on israel

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Wow - I am kinda shocked by this news, especially since DAYS wins its timeslot in Australia.

Good to know that another network will most likely be picking up.

IIttu
Member Avatar

somersetfan
Apr 14 2013, 11:43 PM
Matt
Apr 14 2013, 10:38 PM
This almost makes me think about how many international/non-US viewers the soap has. I'm not even sure I know where all DAYS (or any of the other soaps, for that matter) still air. I know Canada gets everything, but I can't remember if the UK still does or not. And since I started watching all of the UK soaps thanks to the internet (since none of the air here except for Coronation Street now on Hulu/Hulu+ 2-3 weeks behind UK time), I wonder if anyone else watches US soaps strictly through the internet or even discovered the US soaps via the internet because they don't air in their country. Or watch the soaps at US speed via online even though the shows air in their country, but at a delayed pace.
Just doing a quick search.
Days airs in:
South Africa (where it remains very popular 1.5 million viewers a week)
Barbados
Bahamas
Belize
Canada (on both French and English television)
Denmark
Germany
Jamaica
New Zealand (Just started again last month after being cancelled in 2010)
Norway
Sweden
United Arab Emirates

Maybe more.

South Africa is airing episodes from 2010. French Canada is about to enter 2003. New Zealand is currently 6 months behind.

It hasn't aired in the UK since 2010. But your right with the internet people could probably watch Days on the moon.

I am sure it will pop up somewhere again in Australia just like NZ.

Here in Finland they dropped Days a few years ago as well.

kelly777
Member Avatar

".........with respect, a deplorable lack of creative renewal!!!!!"

True that!

cajnej
Member Avatar

I am annoyed but some how not surprised at Channel 9. I have been a long time viewer and Days has always been a very popular Soap Opera. What surprises me the most is why they just did not flick it to one of their 2nd stream chanels like Go or Gem which is what they do when they want to throw shows on the scrap heap. I am sure Foxtel will pick it up.

Aussiedays
Member Avatar

Channel 9 didn't renew because they don't want to pay Sony the rights for it since they own Gem and Go they would still have to pay.So hopefully another network will pick it up or Foxtel will rescue it like they did for The Young and the Restless

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

concerned
Apr 14 2013, 10:29 PM
Drew
Apr 14 2013, 10:03 PM
When you look at what Home and Away or Neighbours does it's amazing anyone there watches Days.
Home and Away and Neighbour both air in the evening around 6:30 - 7:00 which if you are a mum at home not the easiest time to sit down and watch a soap.
No, the shows are family viewing. Thats why their ratings are so high. And that's why (like the UK) they don't tell the same ridiculous romance novel tripe on a loop. They tell real stories, about realish people, that appeal to a mass audience. It's a proven model.
Edited by Drew, Apr 16 2013, 02:05 AM.

concerned
Member Avatar

Drew
Apr 16 2013, 02:00 AM
concerned
Apr 14 2013, 10:29 PM
Drew
Apr 14 2013, 10:03 PM
When you look at what Home and Away or Neighbours does it's amazing anyone there watches Days.
Home and Away and Neighbour both air in the evening around 6:30 - 7:00 which if you are a mum at home not the easiest time to sit down and watch a soap.
No, the shows are family viewing. Thats why their ratings are so high. And that's why (like the UK) they don't tell the same ridiculous romance novel tripe on a loop. They tell real stories, about realish people, that appeal to a mass audience. It's a proven model.
I'm just saying as an Australian who watched Days of our Lives and doesn't watch Home and Away or Neighbours one of the main reasons I don't watch Home and Away or Neighbours is because I am run off my feet busy at the time that both shows are on. One of the reason I watched Days was because it was on during a quiet time when my kids were napping and I could sit down have lunch and watch some scripted television rather than a cookingshow or medical emergency shows then I got addicted.

You may consider Home and Away and Neighbours to be better - Maybe they are - I haven't watched them in decades since I was at high school. I was just trying to point out to you the reason why I watch Days rather than Home and Away or Neighbours.

PS Both shows are a bit too humdrum and realistic for me - I like a bit of outlandish baby switching back from the dead doppelganger drama.

presley23
Member Avatar

I emailed the address Channel 9 provided on their Facebook page for Sony and they emailed straight back to say they are actively looking for a new home for Days and they'll keep us updated. I think they may be trying for Foxtel, which I'll be happy with because I have it and it means Days will finally be uninterrupted during the cricket months, but there are a lot of fans who don't have Foxtel and it doesn't seem fair that they'll miss out. Now I know how the Y&R fans felt a few years ago.

presley23
Member Avatar

Quote:

This truly sucks for my Aussie friends. They have a last airdate. Does anyone know what episode will serve as their final Days episode?

We're currently watching eps from December 2011, but I'm not sure which exact ep will be the final one, I'm a few weeks behind on my PVR. Guess there's no rush to catch up now though. :/
Edited by presley23, Apr 16 2013, 02:28 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply