Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Prospect Park Suing ABC for 25 Million
Topic Started: Apr 18 2013, 05:43 PM (1,523 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

According to Deadline, Prospect Park has filed a lawsuit against ABC claiming the network “has been breaking the licensing agreement and sabatoging Prospect Park’s efforts to continue ‘All My Children‘ and ‘One Life to Live‘ online.” Prospect Park is seeking $25 million in monetary damages. It is understood that the lawsuit won’t hinder the launches of either soap when they premiere in less than two weeks nor take away from the red carpet premiere schedule for next week in New York City.

“These shows will go forward, and Prospect will address its right sin Court,” the suit said. “Regardless of how successful Prospect may be,the fact remains that ABC did not deliver what it promised, Prospect did not get what it paid for,and Prospect is now entitled to recover millions of dollars in damages for ABC’s egregious conduct.”

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2013/04/prospect-park-suing-abc-for-25-million-in-damages-over-licensing-agreement

For full details click here--> Deadline
Edited by Daytime, Apr 18 2013, 05:46 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

In related news, I'm currently working on my lawsuit against TomSell for making me hate Days.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

LOL so it took them 14 months to say something about Cole and Hope being killed off, seriously?

I smell free publicity

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I'm also working on a lawsuit against LML and MAB for what they each did to Y&R. :)

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Tomas was killed? I thought he went on assignment with CIA during the Alcazar/Tomas confusion that Blair, Tea and Skye went to investigate.

Daytime
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Apr 18 2013, 06:24 PM
Tomas was killed? I thought he went on assignment with CIA during the Alcazar/Tomas confusion that Blair, Tea and Skye went to investigate.
They are referring to them hinting that Alcazar was actually Tomas...In a sense, killing off Tomas.. I think..lol Its all confusing.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

You know what. It all boils down to PP dropping the fucking ball initially. If they had gotten their shit together when they were supposed to, nobody would be in the mess they're in right now.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Is this really about dead characters? 'Cause...if you think that's somehow an issue you really shouldn't be in the soap business, imho.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Through a lot of this I haven't completely trusted PP with them pretty much waiting until the final minute before the rights went back to ABC to all of a sudden get their act together. It was pretty much a dead issue till all of a sudden they said "Hey, guess what?" Definitely smells a bit of either free press or trying to get a few more bucks to keep the the shows going.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

This is going to get ugly.

See what ABC did? They should have never canceled AMC & OLTL in the first place!

six
Member Avatar

:facepalm: So, part of the reason they're angry is that ABC gave three actors stable employment instead of letting them twist in the wind on the off chance that PP actually got their acts together and relaunched the shows (and really, who saw that coming?)?

somersetfan
Member Avatar

How long is the current licensing agreement between these two? Cause I have a feeling after this ABC may not want to sign another one...........

Tammy
Member Avatar

I don't trust either side... but I have NO DOUBT in my mind that ABC want's PP to fail with these shows lol.

And once PP's contract to "lease" these shows is up... you know damn well that ABC won't renew it. So if the fans get to love AMC and OLTL 2.0 they will get screwed in the end again.

six
Member Avatar

The shows are licensed until 2021, IIRC. Here's a link straight to the complaint.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/ESQ/PROSPECT_ABC_Complaint_WM.pdf

I'm really amused by the mental picture of a judge/jury getting brought to speed on character histories and judging whether or not the things GH Starr/Todd/John did would be out of character for OLTL's Starr/Todd/John.
Edited by six, Apr 18 2013, 08:15 PM.

Cathalina

Ooookay....so characters acting OOC and dead people coming back to life are a problem for Prospect Park? Note to PP, you are in the soap business. That isn't a reason for a lawsuit - that is fodder for sweeps.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'd so rather be watching the PP/ABC soap opera. This whole thing his hillarious.

I think it's obvious Prospect Park had no intention of continuing with AMC and OLTL until GH and the "soap revival" became so buzzed about. The OLTL characters helped make that happen. It's a Catch 22.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

px780
Apr 18 2013, 06:35 PM
Is this really about dead characters? 'Cause...if you think that's somehow an issue you really shouldn't be in the soap business, imho.
Irene or her people kidnapped her great-grandchild and her father.

Can I write a soap too?

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

lol Well this lawsuit is silly as fuck, but I don't think Prospect Park wants to do ANY back from the dead stories. They are trying to get out of that habit. So I don't think its that simple..

But I also don't think that is the legit reason. They just came up with some reasons to ask for money, assuming (correctly) that this lawsuit is going to get TONS of publicity. And knowing that ABC is likely to want to settle out of court. Its basically free money for Prospect Park. They aren't going to get that batshit crazy number $25 million, but they'll get a pretty penny.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

^ Enough to say, cover the building of all new sets? :lol:

I would hope they're getting out of the back from the dead game, it's beyond over-used, but if they're really wanting Hope and Cole (why?) back so badly they have options. GH handled the death poorly IMO anyway. I didn't watch regularly but I turned in once a few months in to find Star freaking out because a roomate/potential pairing stole her labeled ice cream or cereal. Her baby isn't dead a year and the most crippling thing for her is someone raiding the fridge?!

Edited by Drew, Apr 18 2013, 09:40 PM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Yep, I'm not sympathizing with those bastards at ABC. I hope Prospect Park does bleed some money out of them. But at the same time its obvious what PP is doing. I mean get real. Some of their reasonings are so silly. I literally laughed out loud multiple times while reading the actual suit. Now I know how they can afford their good casts and the amazing quality! Its better than all 4 daytime soaps put together. Has to be getting expensive.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply