Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday, April 22nd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Apr 19 2013, 06:17 AM (11,736 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

LovingDays
Apr 22 2013, 10:16 PM
how great is that no dannifer for 3 days
it's seriously like a different show. it's lighter, and i'm enjoying it again. i sadly see that ending soon...stupid dannifer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

annie21

lysie
Apr 22 2013, 07:33 PM
annie21
Apr 22 2013, 07:29 PM
That rumor of a Liz return was during the MarDar era, so it's unlikely to happen now... unless Gloria Loring has been working a new and separate angle, lol.

IDK. Tomlin seems to like bringing in people like that. And she was actually around when he was writing in the 80s. Did he introduce her?
I'm curious. Has he brought anyone in "like that" from his stint in the 80s? I know he brought in Laura for 2 episodes to serve his Dannifer/Chloe plot. We might have thought he'd give a nod to the 90s, because he's done that a little with Kristen/John/Marlena. But seriously, I don't get the sense that he even remembers or bothers to refer to anything pre-1995. If he did, I'd think we'd see more Julie and Doug, for example.

Jason47
Member Avatar

annie21
Apr 22 2013, 11:00 PM
lysie
annie21
That rumor of a Liz return was during the MarDar era, so it's unlikely to happen now... unless Gloria Loring has been working a new and separate angle, lol.

IDK. Tomlin seems to like bringing in people like that. And she was actually around when he was writing in the 80s. Did he introduce her?
I'm curious. Has he brought anyone in "like that" from his stint in the 80s? I know he brought in Laura for 2 episodes to serve his Dannifer/Chloe plot. We might have thought he'd give a nod to the 90s, because he's done that a little with Kristen/John/Marlena. But seriously, I don't get the sense that he even remembers or bothers to refer to anything pre-1995. If he did, I'd think we'd see more Julie and Doug, for example.

Gary and Michelle only created 4 contract characters when they were head writers from Oct. 1980-Oct. 1981.

Renee Dumonde, Stuart Whyland and Jake Kositchek are all dead. The only one still living is Evan Whyland (or did he die too?)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Harlee Kin
Member Avatar

Dannifer cannot survive without Chloe, there is no chemistry between the characters, they refuse now to write them with any "flaws" or complexity. Perhaps Dan will take Jennifer to Africa to heal the sick! Hooray!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Jason47
Apr 22 2013, 11:26 PM
annie21
lysie
annie21

Gary and Michelle only created 4 contract characters when they were head writers from Oct. 1980-Oct. 1981.

Renee Dumonde, Stuart Whyland and Jake Kositchek are all dead. The only one still living is Evan Whyland (or did he die too?)
Evan Whyland died. If I remember correctly, wasn't he in that car accident caused by Stefano and then Sandy Horton (his lover) had to operate on him and he died on the table? I also want to say (but I could be mixing up accidents) that this was the same accident that cause Mickey to fly to South America in an attempt to prove that Stefano was behind it which then resulted in him being presumed dead for the better part of a year while Stefano held Mickey captive in a cage.

But now that I say all of that, I'm not sure it's the same accident. In any event, yes, Evan is dead. He was also played by Lane Davies who's best remembered as Mason Capwell on Santa Barbara.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 22 2013, 11:36 PM
Jason47
annie21
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Evan Whyland died. If I remember correctly, wasn't he in that car accident caused by Stefano and then Sandy Horton (his lover) had to operate on him and he died on the table? I also want to say (but I could be mixing up accidents) that this was the same accident that cause Mickey to fly to South America in an attempt to prove that Stefano was behind it which then resulted in him being presumed dead for the better part of a year while Stefano held Mickey captive in a cage.

But now that I say all of that, I'm not sure it's the same accident. In any event, yes, Evan is dead. He was also played by Lane Davies who's best remembered as Mason Capwell on Santa Barbara.
Thanks Matt.

So, then, all 4 characters that Gary and Michelle created from 1980-1981 were all killed off by the new head writers from 1982-1983!

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

I remember Drake tweeting that he had no idea how to play John Black with this set of writers.

Ummm, apparently, he hasn't figured it out, because all of the smirking he did with Brady and Maggie was certainly a poor choice. That half-smug smile he had with most of his scenes with Brady made me want to slap him and tell Brady to run off with Krazy Kristen.

How in Jesus' name did the director let him do the scene that way? For Pete's sake.

Will&Sonny

What was up with Kristen referring to Common Grounds as Caffeinated? I know that there's a picture of a coffee cup in Common Grounds that says "Caffeinated" below it, but I always assumed that was just a picture, not a logo. However, I did notice that the employee who talked to Kristen was wearing a shirt with the same picture on it (whereas Sonny and Chad have always worn plain shirts as their "work uniforms" in the past).

A quick Google search returned one Days-related reference to "Caffeinated": http://www.gaysofdays.com/2012/02/common-grounds-sonnys-coffee-shop.html, although the URL itself refers to Common Grounds. Aside from that, I can't find any mention of Sonny and Chad's coffeehouse being referred to as Caffeinated.

I hope it was just a mistake, because I'd hate to see the writers change the name. I know that the characters usually don't even refer to the coffeehouse as Common Grounds as it is, but that name was always very important to Sonny because it represented the open-minded atmosphere that he wanted to promote. Changing it would be bad enough, but changing it to something as generic and uninspired as "Caffeinated" would just be stupid.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 22 2013, 11:36 PM
Jason47
annie21
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I'm pretty sure that it was the same accident. Stefano had someone tamper with Maggie's car (and was trying to kill her) because she had witnessed some criminal activity implicating him but Evan drove the car instead.

lysie
Member Avatar

annie21
lysie
annie21

Not from the 80s but I wasn't basing that on bringing in Kristen. I was basing it on him bringing in people as EP a few years ago.

annie21

Will&Sonny
Apr 23 2013, 04:17 AM
What was up with Kristen referring to Common Grounds as Caffeinated? I know that there's a picture of a coffee cup in Common Grounds that says "Caffeinated" below it, but I always assumed that was just a picture, not a logo. However, I did notice that the employee who talked to Kristen was wearing a shirt with the same picture on it (whereas Sonny and Chad have always worn plain shirts as their "work uniforms" in the past).

A quick Google search returned one Days-related reference to "Caffeinated": http://www.gaysofdays.com/2012/02/common-grounds-sonnys-coffee-shop.html, although the URL itself refers to Common Grounds. Aside from that, I can't find any mention of Sonny and Chad's coffeehouse being referred to as Caffeinated.

I hope it was just a mistake, because I'd hate to see the writers change the name. I know that the characters usually don't even refer to the coffeehouse as Common Grounds as it is, but that name was always very important to Sonny because it represented the open-minded atmosphere that he wanted to promote. Changing it would be bad enough, but changing it to something as generic and uninspired as "Caffeinated" would just be stupid.
Not to mention discriminatory against all the DE-caffeinated coffee drinkers among us! :)

jdawg1077

Had to go out of my way to comment on this thread my absolute shock over the Neil Curtis mention. I think I rewound it three times to make sure I'd heard it correctly. What a great historical reference for longtime Days viewers. Don't think it means much, and if it did it would mean more for a Sarah return than Noel.

nightfan

Will&Sonny
Apr 23 2013, 04:17 AM

Nice catch! I love when viewers see things I completely missed. And completely agree. Common Grounds is a great name for many reasons. They had better not change the name. Caffeineted is a terrible name, anyway. Generic, too.

Dr. Chip

The only problem with the Neil mention was that Kristen never knew Neil. He was gone when she came on the scene. Of course, with the way he was written out, he could still be wandering the halls of the hospital.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply