Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[TSM Interview] ‘Days of our Lives” Galen Gering on Rafe’s Past, Present and Family
Topic Started: Apr 21 2013, 09:42 PM (3,526 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

MericP
Apr 22 2013, 11:04 AM
It's true. The writing was abrupt. None of it made sense. It ruined alot of things, including my enjoyment of EJami coming together.
Ejami is really like any other generic couple now....they have virtually no problems, no lies, no blackmail, no conflict...they are for lack of a better word, safe....regardless how much her family disapproves of the engagement, that is nothing in comparison to what could have really been good story lines for Ejami. It's not like it's the first time that they don't approve and she doesn't give a shit and does whatever she wants, so what exactly is going to be a conflict in their relationship?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Apr 22 2013, 11:00 AM
tomsawyer
Apr 22 2013, 10:00 AM
camera shy
Apr 22 2013, 09:10 AM
Doesn't sound like he was happy at all about the way Safe ended.
No, it doesn't.

The writing from pre-wedding to post-wedding was very disjointed. That, plus GG's comment about other things being in play, makes me think the post-wedding shift toward Ejami wasn't necessarily what the writers were planning on doing and that it was dictated by higher ups.
I think the other things in play resulted in a delay in putting Sami and EJ together, but I'm convinced that the intent to go with them as a couple, has been in place since MarDar was writing.
Maybe, I really have no idea. I'd like to believe that the TomSell didn't think they had to go with Ejami at first, because if they knew they were going with Ejami, what the hell were they doing from August to December?? That whole Rafe-Safe storyarc did nothing but make Sami look flighty and confuse the audience as to which direction they were headed. I know I personally felt like it was going to be a redux of Safe-Ejami 2010, which definitely made the fall less enjoyable to me.

That being said, the crappy writing of last year doesn't prevent me from enjoying the Ejami that's on our screens today. Like I said earlier, I've had to consciously stop looking for long-term, deep storylines because they simply don't exist on the show anymore. Lowering my expectations has done wonders for my enjoyment of Days, LOL.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

tomsawyer
Apr 22 2013, 11:45 AM
gailwinters
tomsawyer
camera shy
No, it doesn't.

The writing from pre-wedding to post-wedding was very disjointed. That, plus GG's comment about other things being in play, makes me think the post-wedding shift toward Ejami wasn't necessarily what the writers were planning on doing and that it was dictated by higher ups.
I think the other things in play resulted in a delay in putting Sami and EJ together, but I'm convinced that the intent to go with them as a couple, has been in place since MarDar was writing.
Maybe, I really have no idea. I'd like to believe that the TomSell didn't think they had to go with Ejami at first, because if they knew they were going with Ejami, what the hell were they doing from August to December?? That whole Rafe-Safe storyarc did nothing but make Sami look flighty and confuse the audience as to which direction they were headed. I know I personally felt like it was going to be a redux of Safe-Ejami 2010, which definitely made the fall less enjoyable to me.

That being said, the crappy writing of last year doesn't prevent me from enjoying the Ejami that's on our screens today. Like I said earlier, I've had to consciously stop looking for long-term, deep storylines because they simply don't exist on the show anymore. Lowering my expectations has done wonders for my enjoyment of Days, LOL.
On your last sentence, I think that's how I am feeling lately with GH. I got back into it a few months ago and right before the Nurses Ball I really starting loving it...mainly because my expectations for a soap as so low that I am amazing myself on how much I truly enjoy the majority of that show...I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop at any given moment, lol....

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

LuvingLumi
Apr 22 2013, 11:22 AM
MericP
It's true. The writing was abrupt. None of it made sense. It ruined alot of things, including my enjoyment of EJami coming together.
Ejami is really like any other generic couple now....they have virtually no problems, no lies, no blackmail, no conflict...they are for lack of a better word, safe....regardless how much her family disapproves of the engagement, that is nothing in comparison to what could have really been good story lines for Ejami. It's not like it's the first time that they don't approve and she doesn't give a shit and does whatever she wants, so what exactly is going to be a conflict in their relationship?
It's hard to say what the writers have planned but there could be conflict for EJami (or any other couple) that has nothing to do with internal conflict. EJ working to bring down Stefano, Sami unintentionally getting them dragged into deep shit with the Nick stuff, etc. all work as conflict for them as a couple where they'd have to work together to overcome it. Much like they used to do with couples back in the day - the audience could know they love each other and are working to be together but outside circumstances could keep them apart or threaten their long term happiness.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

camera shy
Heck, I wasn't happy with how Safe ended and I rallied to get rid of them for the better part of 3 years! The way they ended it was so disjointed and abrupt that I didn't even realize they were over. I figured it was just another round of EJami vs Safe but it didn't even end up being that. It was just....over. Their quick and predictable build up was more satisfying than their end. I don't blame Galen for being annoyed by it.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

If it involved Rafe being DOUCHE Rafe...then I am on board....if he goes back into cartooney superhero levels than PLEASE GOD NO!

annie21

samwel
Apr 22 2013, 11:14 AM
gailwinters
tomsawyer
camera shy
No, it doesn't.

I agree and a key indicator of that IMO was what was being done with EJ.
I agree with tomsawyer, the higher-ups likely overruled the writers on this one. It did seem like MarDar were intent on Ejami, but when Tomlin returned, I think he thought he could just put Safe back together where he had them in 2011. Something happened behind the scenes after he and Whitesell took the reins. And by the time we got Corday's infamous "lock...barrel" comment in the Fall, the decision had been made to go back to Ejami full force. The back and forth around the wedding was where this shift appeared on screen.

My own thought is that TomSell are doing this against their own preferences and are busily setting about to give their favorite another storyline.
Edited by annie21, Apr 22 2013, 07:35 PM.

MericP
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Apr 22 2013, 12:26 PM
LuvingLumi
MericP
It's hard to say what the writers have planned but there could be conflict for EJami (or any other couple) that has nothing to do with internal conflict. EJ working to bring down Stefano, Sami unintentionally getting them dragged into deep shit with the Nick stuff, etc. all work as conflict for them as a couple where they'd have to work together to overcome it. Much like they used to do with couples back in the day - the audience could know they love each other and are working to be together but outside circumstances could keep them apart or threaten their long term happiness.
Someone beat me to it! :)

I assume they'll use Stefano as conflict.

So long as they don't make it unrealistic I am game.

No way can Sami and EJ win against Stefano. I think it will be interesting for EJ to stand against his father having Sami's help this time.

MericP
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
MericP
Though we are obviously on opposite sides of the fence, so to speak, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I am so pissed that after so long I got screwed in getting good writing to bring my couple together. Sigh.

I know it's just a show and I won't care in the long run but still I just hate it. You get what you want and they slap it together like they don't give a shit which I know they don't. :blulaugh:

There was such potential and it's clear the show had no clue what it was doing and last minute the story changed. They didn't have time to do a decent job. What's so great about a couple of sex scenes when there's no substance behind them? Where's the conversation? Where's the possible explanation of why this couple should be together?

Sweeping everything under the rug and pretending like it didn't happen is cheap writing, bad writing and a waste of time. No, I will not forget the past and I wish this stupid show wouldn't either.

SMDH.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

So, back to Galen................Good interview! Nice to see a Rafe perspective and focus on RAFE alone for once.

samwel

MericP
Apr 22 2013, 06:25 PM
LuvingLumi
MericP
Though we are obviously on opposite sides of the fence, so to speak, I can totally see where you're coming from.

I am so pissed that after so long I got screwed in getting good writing to bring my couple together. Sigh.

I know it's just a show and I won't care in the long run but still I just hate it. You get what you want and they slap it together like they don't give a shit which I know they don't. :blulaugh:

There was such potential and it's clear the show had no clue what it was doing and last minute the story changed. They didn't have time to do a decent job. What's so great about a couple of sex scenes when there's no substance behind them? Where's the conversation? Where's the possible explanation of why this couple should be together?

Sweeping everything under the rug and pretending like it didn't happen is cheap writing, bad writing and a waste of time. No, I will not forget the past and I wish this stupid show wouldn't either.

SMDH.
eh, you cannot please everyone and there really is no even trying to if all you have seen thus far is sex scenes. lol

If you can at least get most out of those that have been waiting, job well done and from where I am standing, that is what it is.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Anyway.........................it would be so awesome if they had an Emily story for him, something nice and juicy.

annie21

MericP
LuvingLumi
MericP

SMDH.
Well, if my theory is right and the writers are pro Rafe/Safe, but they're being overruled by the higher ups, then maybe this is their way of rebelling -- by writing a lame "slapped together" version of the story TPTB demanded. Then again, TomSell are basically doing the same thing for every story on the show, so I don't think they really care any more -- if they ever did -- about what anything they're doing.

Edited by annie21, Apr 22 2013, 07:43 PM.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Apr 22 2013, 07:36 PM
Anyway.........................it would be so awesome if they had an Emily story for him, something nice and juicy.
If not Emily, with the church set there could always be a visit from the nuns who helped Rafe turn his life around when he was a troubled youth, bringing back memories of his past.

Hamilton
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Apr 22 2013, 07:53 PM
ladyofthelake
If not Emily, with the church set there could always be a visit from the nuns who helped Rafe turn his life around when he was a troubled youth, bringing back memories of his past.
It'd be cool to finally get that look into his background. What made him a troubled youth? What part did his father play in who Rafe is today? What brought him to the convent and how were they able to influence the change in him? The nuns could easily be incorporated now that we have Eric in the church. Rafe's sister also mentioned once about Rafe's need to swoop in and be the hero. Maybe his father was abusive and his mother's inability to care for Dario and Gabi a part of that history???

I think in order to make Rafe more well rounded the time has come to answer some of these questions. I hope the fall story goes there as they bring a new romantic love interest his way.

MericP
Member Avatar

Sorry for going off-topic, lol.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to go with EJami was brought forth by NBC. AS has always been a kiss-ass when it comes to the higher ups - it would make sense that she'd be all about EJami all of a sudden if they're the ones who pushed that agenda in the first place. :eyeroll:
Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Apr 22 2013, 10:07 PM.

S loves EJ

MericP
LuvingLumi
MericP

SMDH.

While I would not mind good storytelling for Ejami, I´m not complaining about the sex scenes. They haven´t had that much sex before so they have a lot to make up for lol. Still with Ejami being in bed a lot aswell as Rate and Bristen it does seems like the show turned into a porn show and that is bad writhing. A one night stand with Rate would have been okey but continuing with them having sex because they don´t know what else to do with Rafe is just yuck.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

preview and interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prAlkBeIUo

so caroline jennifer and abby there
might also anne
Edited by Partnersincrime, Apr 23 2013, 07:37 AM.

mirabella

Hamilton
Apr 22 2013, 08:27 PM
TreasureCove
Apr 22 2013, 07:53 PM
ladyofthelake
It'd be cool to finally get that look into his background. What made him a troubled youth? What part did his father play in who Rafe is today? What brought him to the convent and how were they able to influence the change in him? The nuns could easily be incorporated now that we have Eric in the church. Rafe's sister also mentioned once about Rafe's need to swoop in and be the hero. Maybe his father was abusive and his mother's inability to care for Dario and Gabi a part of that history???

I think in order to make Rafe more well rounded the time has come to answer some of these questions. I hope the fall story goes there as they bring a new romantic love interest his way.
I loved the interview. Galen always gives an interesting interview.

I am so looking forward to Rafe having a new storyline and a new love interest. Many of us have been waiting for a background story for Rafe. I was particularly excited to hear that this may be what we will be getting. I hope so. I would love this new woman to be Emily but if not, I can see how the past could be brought up with the nuns or in other ways so that we can get a Rafe backstory.

Yay for more Rafe airtime!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply