Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[TSM Interview] ‘Days of our Lives” Galen Gering on Rafe’s Past, Present and Family
Topic Started: Apr 21 2013, 09:42 PM (3,535 Views)
marie1969

gailwinters
Apr 22 2013, 11:00 AM
tomsawyer
Apr 22 2013, 10:00 AM
camera shy
Apr 22 2013, 09:10 AM
Doesn't sound like he was happy at all about the way Safe ended.
No, it doesn't.

The writing from pre-wedding to post-wedding was very disjointed. That, plus GG's comment about other things being in play, makes me think the post-wedding shift toward Ejami wasn't necessarily what the writers were planning on doing and that it was dictated by higher ups.
I think the other things in play resulted in a delay in putting Sami and EJ together, but I'm convinced that the intent to go with them as a couple, has been in place since MarDar was writing.
I agree that the intent was Ejami since MarDar (thus the photoshoot and all the publicity), but when the new/old writing teammcame back on board, they tried to change direction by putting safe back together and throw ej/ejami under the bus. Thankfully, They failed miserably. So the higher ups had to intervene and fix this mess by going back to the original plan which was Ejami.

From what I can see as a viewer, there has been a lot of power struggle which reflects in the disjointed direction of the story. Too many hands stirring the pot so to speak. Now that they have made a decision, I hope they stick with it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

marie1969

samwel
Apr 22 2013, 11:06 AM
tomsawyer
Apr 22 2013, 10:53 AM
LuvingLumi
Apr 22 2013, 10:36 AM
^^and it showed on screen and that is the worse thing....we all saw the story going in one direction and then the shift came and they broke up because Rafe sided with his sister in lieu of Sami...oh, how horrible that was....it was just stupid the way the story shifted and how abruptly it did too. The only good thing about that is that if NBC gets a bug up their ass again about a story shift they'd make it happen equally as quickly.
It totally showed up on-screen. Days' lack of consistency regarding their long-term story direction has sucked for the last few years. All the writing changes, plus seemingly lots of cooks in the kitchen, makes for shifts that seem to come out of nowhere. That's why the only way I can enjoy the show anymore is just to go with the flow. I no longer look for overarching stories of depth that are driven by consistent character development. These stories simply don't seem to exist on this show anymore. If what's on my screen that day/week/month is entertaining to me, then I'm satisfied. If it's not, then I turn it off.
If Rafe can teleport into the safehouse, no explanations asked or needed and Sami all of a sudden be all about him :rolleyes: another change should not be too much of a shock to the system right, especially when this time they even if poorly executed made a go at the triangle and only speeded it up for the culmination at the wedding.

But his attitude is par on course, just a little less bitching compared to last time, but overall more of the same. :rolleyes:
Good point. From my perspective, the writing just went back in the right direction which was Ejami. The whole safe almost reunion from last fall was just detour orchestrated by a head written with his own agenda. Most of 2012 was about rebuilding Ejami and bringing them back together on a solid foundation. The contrived safe almost reunion should have never happened.

For months last year, Sami did not give a shit about Rafe and was busy bonding with Ej and rebuilding the trust between them while Rafe was falling deeply in love with Carrie and did not even care that ejami was getting closer. Then, out of the blue and I do mean literally out of nowwhere, Rafe was hell bent on getting Sami back and Sami inexplicably was dumping Ej to go to chase after Rafe.

Tomfuck tried to sweep under the rug everything that happened between Ejami such as those pesky little facts like rafe being in love with Sami's sister and Sami having feelings for Ej to the point that she was willing to risk it all for him including her life and her freedom. Let's not forget the big elephant in the room which is that Sami cheated on Rafe with Ej.

So yeah, this shift in direction is no worst than what happened last fall when they abruptly switched from Ejami to Safe. It was just as contrived then and it confused the viewers just as much. I wish the transition had been smoother, but I am enjoying the story so much now. I am one happy fan.

justforfun

Great interview! I am happy that GG is getting a new story, and away from ykw!! I think he answered the question as best he could. He was giving his opinion and it's true that the switch was very WTFery. It was poorly written and executed. I don't see how that makes him bitchy. He deserves a story and it makes perfect sense to dive into his backstory. It's about time! I've wanted this since he began on the show! As a GG fan, I am very much looking forward to it! :cheer:

justforfun

marie1969
Apr 23 2013, 09:04 PM
gailwinters
Apr 22 2013, 11:00 AM
tomsawyer
Apr 22 2013, 10:00 AM
camera shy
Apr 22 2013, 09:10 AM
Doesn't sound like he was happy at all about the way Safe ended.
No, it doesn't.

The writing from pre-wedding to post-wedding was very disjointed. That, plus GG's comment about other things being in play, makes me think the post-wedding shift toward Ejami wasn't necessarily what the writers were planning on doing and that it was dictated by higher ups.
I think the other things in play resulted in a delay in putting Sami and EJ together, but I'm convinced that the intent to go with them as a couple, has been in place since MarDar was writing.
I agree that the intent was Ejami since MarDar (thus the photoshoot and all the publicity), but when the new/old writing teammcame back on board, they tried to change direction by putting safe back together and throw ej/ejami under the bus. Thankfully, They failed miserably. So the higher ups had to intervene and fix this mess by going back to the original plan which was Ejami.

From what I can see as a viewer, there has been a lot of power struggle which reflects in the disjointed direction of the story. Too many hands stirring the pot so to speak. Now that they have made a decision, I hope they stick with it.
kind of like how MARDAR threw Rafe / Safe under the bus with their writing. ;) It's no different.

Miselemeas

Mitchapalooza
Apr 22 2013, 02:29 PM
If it involved Rafe being DOUCHE Rafe...then I am on board....if he goes back into cartooney superhero levels than PLEASE GOD NO!

Miselemeas

Miselemeas
Apr 28 2013, 10:44 PM
Mitchapalooza
Apr 22 2013, 02:29 PM
If it involved Rafe being DOUCHE Rafe...then I am on board....if he goes back into cartooney superhero levels than PLEASE GOD NO!

Miselemeas

i thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Gering's interview, he is a very
intelligent man.I also love his interpretation of the character of Rafe.
I must say I abhor the verbage used in the first sentence above to
denigrate the character of Rafe, but I understand ,that is allowed
on this forum, and in this new age; but not where I come from, or the era
I came from. I just had to remark on it, hope you forgive my first foray
into this territory ,this is my very first post here, already send one that did not appear to go through.Slainte.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply