Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
43 Years Ago: This Week in Salem; Jason47's Weekly Thread: Week of 4/22-4/28
Topic Started: Apr 22 2013, 01:15 AM (731 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

43 YEARS AGO: THIS WEEK IN SALEM

The prison storyline was still going on, and Doug will still known as Brent!

Posted Image

POST # 1: QUESTION FOR HOPE FANS!!
Now that I'm getting into the 1998/1999 "Princess Gina" storyline, I'm trying to get the correct character count for the episode rankings.

Several questions...when Hope has all of those flashbacks to "Gina" time...are they actually just flashbacks of Hope when Stefano had brainwashed her to believe she was Gina (for the missing Hope years of 1990-1994)?? So for those "newly created flashbacks" it is actually Hope in them, and should only count as Hope in the character rankings.

Or did Stefano do what he did with John (when he gave him all of Roman's memories). Did he give all of Gina's memories to Hope? Are the flashbacks Hope has as Gina actually parts of the real Gina's life??

It's getting a little confusing as I'm doing the character lists for these episodes. My notes list her as Gina in the flashbacks, but I'm thinking that it is actually Hope in the flashbacks when she was brainwashed as Gina.

If that is the case, then the only "real Gina" appearances prior to her unveiling as being stuck in the castle turret in 1999 would be any "newly created flashbacks" that Greta has as Young Greta. Those would really be Gina then??

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Edited by Jason47, Apr 25 2013, 02:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I took away from it the impression that "Gope" wasn't a transfer and more of a caricature of the real Gina. There seemed to be a definite personality difference between Gope and Gina. But it's hard to say with the change of writers, and Langan extending the basically resolved story by introducing the real Gina it's not like there was a clear vision of what was happening from beginning to end.
Edited by Drew, Apr 22 2013, 01:56 AM.

Rudolpho Meradi
Member Avatar

Hey Jason

Im not much of a Hope fan (never was), but I was a strong Gina fan and have all DAYS episodes between 1994-2002 on DVD so I think I can answer your questions. :D

The Princess Gina storyline can be divided into four chapters:

-Pre Transformation (April 1998-January 1999)
-After Transformation (January 1999-July 1999)
-The Real Princess Gina (July 1999-December 1999)
-Aftermath/Resolution Process (December 1999-May 2002)

The flashbacks during Pre-Transformation period were of HOPE (impersonating Gina between 1990-1994).

Then after the blizzard/satellite beam in January 1999, Hope received all memories of The Real Gina (who was presumed dead in 1990).
So most flashbacks from here on were of GINA (and her life before 1986, together with little Greta and father John).
However with ONE exception for a particular flashback of her stealing a painting all by herself.
(That one was of HOPE stealing Lily Favershams art collection and painting them over in 1992).

When The Real Princess Gina was introduced, we suddenly had two alive Gina characters.
The Real Ginas flashbacks from here on, were (of course) of GINA.
The Fake Gina from here on continued also having the same flashbacks of GINA (not realizing the original alter ego was still alive plotting revenge).

And then finally, after Real Gina was shot to death on the Penthouse Grill Terrace in December 1999,
ALL flashbacks from here on, all the way into May 2002, were of HOPE (trying to remember what the fuck she was doing during entire 1999).

This was one of the very few DAYS storylines that was NOT written for a 5 year old to understand,
thats why it may seem complicated at first. :P

But I enjoyed it, the storyline itself was good, just wasnt received so well because of the John/Hope pairing, which is somewhat
understandable since John/Marlena was (and still is) the obvious rooting couple, and the writing for them had been
brilliant throughout the entire 90's.

Edited by Rudolpho Meradi, Apr 23 2013, 10:36 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Rudolpho Meradi
Apr 23 2013, 05:30 PM
thats why it may seem complicated at first. :P

But I enjoyed it, the storyline itself was good, just wasnt received so well because of the John/Hope pairing, which is somewhat
understandable since John/Marlena was (and still is) the obvious rooting couple, and the writing for them had been
brilliant throughout the entire 90's.

Hi. Thanks for your input!

Looks like Gina will the most complicated character to get the correct character count for! 1998 starts off with Kristen/Susan/Penelope and ends with Hope/Gina, so now that I'm delving back into my original records for the first time since these episodes originally aired, it has been the most confusing year to do research on.

Susan/Kristen/Penelope was pretty easy to figure out. I had to change some of my "original" records, since the pool storyline, when Penelope (who we thought was Kristen) was found dead in the pool and then Susan (who was actually Kristen pretending to be Susan for 2-3 weeks before the on-air reveal). So, those characters will all be getting new updated totals once 1998 records are finalized.

Now, Hope/Gina will be getting new character totals too. As I continue on with 1999, if I have any questions, which would mostly be about those "Hope as Gina" having real Gina flashbacks, I will be sure to ask you!

With your help, we'll be getting the correct character totals for Hope/Gina during 1999!

Thanks again, Jason :)

Jason47
Member Avatar

43 YEARS AGO IN SALEM THIS WEEK:

The prison storyline was still going on, and Doug will still known as Brent!

Posted Image

jam6242
Member Avatar

So David Sr. (Clive Clerk) appeared in that Monday episode. Since his character was dead I'm assuming this was some kind of recreated flashback or fantasy? I was watching then but I likely would have been in my classroom on this date!
Edited by jam6242, Apr 25 2013, 04:21 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Apr 25 2013, 04:19 PM
So David Sr. (Clive Clerk) appeared in that Monday episode. Since his character was dead I'm assuming this was some kind of recreated flashback or fantasy? I was watching then but I likely would have been in my classroom on this date!
He's listed as on tape, which meant an old flashback. That's why his phone # isn't listed since he wasn't actually taping anything. For payment purposes, though, he's listed as a "1" in the final column. On my own cast chart for that week I would list him as FB for the Monday and a 0 for total appearances. If you also notice for payment purposes, the "Extras" count as 1/4 appearance and the "U/5s" count as 1/2 appearance. The two extras listed on the same line are combined in the end column as 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2.
Edited by Jason47, Apr 25 2013, 04:29 PM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I was wondering whether those numbers were the phone numbers. Thanks Jason!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply