Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 4/22
Topic Started: Apr 22 2013, 06:22 AM (24,173 Views)
DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Daysofold
Apr 28 2013, 10:21 AM
AFaithL
Apr 28 2013, 10:03 AM
chinkybig
Apr 28 2013, 06:25 AM
Fuck these writers, seriously, for severely bastardizing the J and M love story.... :(
I never thought TomSell gave a rat's ass about John and Marlena. He has written them
both extremely out of character, and especially made John very unlikeable, since October of last year. Marlena needs a backbone and more airtime with her friends and family (Roman not included) until John gets his head straight. As for John, because of the bad writing, I have NO interest in him PERIOD unless he is kissing Marlena's butt. Otherwise, he can stay off my tv screen.

And as for repairing John/Brady's relationship, I don't give a crap if it's repaired or not, as long as John remains estranged from Marlena. John's priority should be Marlena 100%. Everything else is secondary and not as important.
TomSell can't write for anyone let alone the vets. Days has lost SO many viewers and can only see it getting worse. Corday and company have only themselves to blame. We should start a petition "FIRE TOMSELL"
there already is one :)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/new-days-of-our-lives-writing-team/
Offline Profile Goto Top

michr544125

DocandJohn4ever
Apr 28 2013, 10:55 AM
Daysofold
AFaithL
chinkybig
Fuck these writers, seriously, for severely bastardizing the J and M love story.... :(
I never thought TomSell gave a rat's ass about John and Marlena. He has written them
both extremely out of character, and especially made John very unlikeable, since October of last year. Marlena needs a backbone and more airtime with her friends and family (Roman not included) until John gets his head straight. As for John, because of the bad writing, I have NO interest in him PERIOD unless he is kissing Marlena's butt. Otherwise, he can stay off my tv screen.

And as for repairing John/Brady's relationship, I don't give a crap if it's repaired or not, as long as John remains estranged from Marlena. John's priority should be Marlena 100%. Everything else is secondary and not as important.
TomSell can't write for anyone let alone the vets. Days has lost SO many viewers and can only see it getting worse. Corday and company have only themselves to blame. We should start a petition "FIRE TOMSELL"

Why I keep saying that GH is so much better than Days right now. They get that it takes an entire cast of vets and younger characters to make a show strive and that it takes good writing for all. GH has constant stories coming on that involves almost the entire cast. The dismissive attitude toward vets on this show is pretty bad. I get it is a business but still. Maybe they feel since they are still making profit despite having dismal ratings at times they are content.
Edited by michr544125, Apr 28 2013, 11:29 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysofold

DocandJohn4ever
Daysofold
AFaithL
chinkybig

Has anyone submitted it to Sony or NBC?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

To me people wait too long to stand up.

Its that mentalilty of the Jack &Jen gets screwed. I don't care but don't touch Lumi. Lumi gets screwed. I don't care but leave Bo and Hope alone. Then its Bo and Hope and some say I don't care about them just don't go after John and Marlena. And then they do.

The same said about vets. As long as its not your guy then it becomes your guy and you are alone.

Every guy is number one until they are not. Dont care today. You will tomorrow.

No one fights for the show anymore. Just their people. But the prinicple of respecting vets is good for fans and actors. If your actor is not a vet now you want him or her to be one and you want them respected.

To have a great show you have to have a show that respect the characters, the actors and the fans. This show is zero for three.
Edited by Aliaron, Apr 28 2013, 12:22 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Daysofold
Apr 28 2013, 11:41 AM
DocandJohn4ever
Daysofold
AFaithL

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Has anyone submitted it to Sony or NBC?
yupp.. it was sent to Sony, NBC, and Greg Meng
Offline Profile Goto Top

quesla

Aliaron
Apr 28 2013, 12:17 PM

Its that mentalilty of the Jack &Jen gets screwed. I don't care but don't touch Lumi. Lumi gets screwed. I don't care but leave Bo and Hope alone. Then its Bo and Hope and some say I don't care about them just don't go after John and Marlena. And then they do.

The same said about vets. As long as its not your guy then it becomes your guy and you are alone.

No one fights for the show anymore. Just their people. But the prinicple of respecting vets is good for fans and actors. If your actor is not a vet now you want him or her to be one and you want them respected.

To have a great show you have to have a show that respect the characters, the actors and the fans. This show is zero for three.
what I don't understand is the fact that its discrimination and no one seems to have a legal to stand .and why none of the vets will call them on it
Offline Profile Goto Top

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

yes especially Bryan. I don't know why but Tomlin seems to have it in for Bryan and his fans. That is just wrong. ALL fans are his bread and butter, I just don't understand why Bryan and his fans continually get screwed. GH knows how to treat their vets, apparently Days doesn't give a fuck. Sad, but true.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

IIttu
Apr 28 2013, 06:24 AM
I'm getting really skeptical if there'll be a reunion at all...
I'm sure there will. One day they will just be together again in the background as the story moves past them.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

Aliaron

I get what you're saying. Then again, the uproar last year over the firing of the vets that sparked #DaysAngryViewer was pretty broad-based, stretching across most fan groups. It lasted a few weeks and got no response from Days. Likewise, the anti-Dannifer sentiment transcends fanbases and has been consistently expressed for months and months with no visible result or response from TPTB.

The writers and execs seem to recognize that the core 2 million viewers are going to watch no matter what. A few years ago, dropping down to 2 million was scary. But now, relatively speaking, they seem to have settled in and resigned themselves to that number -- and they have nothing waiting in the wings that could do better. I think, at least for the last little while, the writers have been told they can pretty much do whatever they like as long as they stay within a basic range.

Viewers can rant and complain as loud and as long as they like. But as long as that same core audience keeps tuning in, it won't matter. The writers are insulated from any fallout and can do as they choose.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Mean, Mean, Mean!
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Apr 28 2013, 01:45 PM
IIttu
Apr 28 2013, 06:24 AM
I'm getting really skeptical if there'll be a reunion at all...
I'm sure there will. One day they will just be together again in the background as the story moves past them.
Like Jack and Jennifer... Damn, I almost would have preferd them staying split than "Hey, we should get back together to set a good example for Abagail!" What BS.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

annie21
Apr 28 2013, 04:17 PM
Aliaron

I get what you're saying. Then again, the uproar last year over the firing of the vets that sparked #DaysAngryViewer was pretty broad-based, stretching across most fan groups. It lasted a few weeks and got no response from Days. Likewise, the anti-Dannifer sentiment transcends fanbases and has been consistently expressed for months and months with no visible result or response from TPTB.

The writers and execs seem to recognize that the core 2 million viewers are going to watch no matter what. A few years ago, dropping down to 2 million was scary. But now, relatively speaking, they seem to have settled in and resigned themselves to that number -- and they have nothing waiting in the wings that could do better. I think, at least for the last little while, the writers have been told they can pretty much do whatever they like as long as they stay within a basic range.

Viewers can rant and complain as loud and as long as they like. But as long as that same core audience keeps tuning in, it won't matter. The writers are insulated from any fallout and can do as they choose.

Exactly. The ratings are stagnant. they swing from 2.2 - 2.6 regardless of who's on or what the featured stories are. Looking at this week, they are pretty comparable with last year, despite the fact that this time last year was a writing/ BTS interference fiasco. The addition of ED has made little difference to ratings as has PR's departure. As you say, there will still be about 2 million who are going to tune in regardless of whether they're showing drama or a test pattern. and TPTB are resigned to that.

But Aliaron is also right that TPTB are content to divide and conquer. By getting rid of only one half of a supercouple, they can still keep some of the pairings fans. Jack fans are gone but (some) jen fans remain, Bo is gone but many still love occasional glimpses of Hope. Steve gone but fans can watch for pop-up Kayla and ditto for John and Marlena.
Also the couples were not all trashed simultaneously so, as Amiaron said, everyone is looking out for their own fanbase. When Jack falls down the elevator, Jarlena fans can sigh with relief that it wasn't their man.
My main gripe (apart from Jack-lol) is that I cannot fathom why they cant write stories for the supercouples that I grew up with AND stories of revolving couples that TPTB assume that newer viewers want. I don't even need all the supercouple to be on canvas at once. Couldn't they contract their seemingly expendable duos to 6 months each of good story, then send them out of Salem for a while? It wouldn't cost any more than having half a dozen lonely "widows" wandering around town with only Dirty Dan to service them all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

bomber
Apr 28 2013, 04:53 PM
annie21
Aliaron

Exactly. The ratings are stagnant. they swing from 2.2 - 2.6 regardless of who's on or what the featured stories are. Looking at this week, they are pretty comparable with last year, despite the fact that this time last year was a writing/ BTS interference fiasco. The addition of ED has made little difference to ratings as has PR's departure. As you say, there will still be about 2 million who are going to tune in regardless of whether they're showing drama or a test pattern. and TPTB are resigned to that.

But Aliaron is also right that TPTB are content to divide and conquer. By getting rid of only one half of a supercouple, they can still keep some of the pairings fans. Jack fans are gone but (some) jen fans remain, Bo is gone but many still love occasional glimpses of Hope. Steve gone but fans can watch for pop-up Kayla and ditto for John and Marlena.
Also the couples were not all trashed simultaneously so, as Amiaron said, everyone is looking out for their own fanbase. When Jack falls down the elevator, Jarlena fans can sigh with relief that it wasn't their man.
My main gripe (apart from Jack-lol) is that I cannot fathom why they cant write stories for the supercouples that I grew up with AND stories of revolving couples that TPTB assume that newer viewers want. I don't even need all the supercouple to be on canvas at once. Couldn't they contract their seemingly expendable duos to 6 months each of good story, then send them out of Salem for a while? It wouldn't cost any more than having half a dozen lonely "widows" wandering around town with only Dirty Dan to service them all.
and if Days execs/network execs or whomever is running the show now at Burbank would see, they NEED to gain more than 100K viewers in order for them to make it....last week the year to year number wasn't all that high...it was positive but they were not like the other three soaps. ANY OTHER NETWORK would look at Days and say, we NEED to gain viewers this year (2013) and we need to do it quickly and sustain the numbers going into 2014....I just don't get it.....I don't think they are happy with the numbers but the only reason we don't see a classic Corday panic is because they are still up from this time last year, even if it's minimally but they are up. What they need to realize is that MarDar did such a shitty job last year, that being up by less than 100K shouldn't cut it....something MAJOR needs to happen on this show....a major character that gets tons of air time needs to bite the dust in a murder mystery or something similar because unless that happens I see no future for this show. Think about it....what was the last time that this show had ANY sustained character growth over a long period of time (1 year) it was 2009.....and back then the ratings in 2008 were so low that it just NEEDED to happen or else.....but since then NOTHING.....3 years of stagnation is not good for this soap...especially when the other three shows are showing a sustained growth over last years numbers...and at least one of them is showing a growth of over 500K viewers and a growth of 2.3 in demos and all that....
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I think we really don't know who is in power and who's making the decisions. I will have to be honest: the J&M thing doesn't bother me. Often, I think Drake does better with other actors, but that's just me. (Yes, I know. Heresy!!!) The Jack thing bothered the hell out of me, though.
But, I do think this storyline could include Doc in on his plan. A little, I think, has to do with people who really don't understand the personalities. Probably a lot has to do with too many cooks spoiling the broth, with too many head honchos in too many various places in power wanting their ways. Soaps don't have the pull for TV they once did. And, based on what I read on boards with other shows, even prime-time, character changes and writing them weirdly and out of personality isn't unique to this show. And, of course, the filming so far ahead of time where there isn't time to make quit changes on something that doesn't work doesn't help. In all honesty, I think the powers that be might consider Days fans a lot like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. I haven't been on boards very long, but it seems to me every year or two, there is always an "Off with his head!" or "Off with her head" campaign. After a while, I think they'd just shrug those off.
Offline Profile Goto Top

IIttu
Member Avatar

annie21
The writers and execs seem to recognize that the core 2 million viewers are going to watch no matter what Viewers can rant and complain as loud and as long as they like. But as long as that same core audience keeps tuning in, it won't matter.
THIS. I've been under the same impression for so long, and it really annoys me because I personally want to do the job I'm paid to do as well as possible, no matter how minor or big the job itself is. It's about moral. And especially in this business I'd expect to see some sort of professional pride both by the actors and the crew. No one on Days should be satisfied by average performances, the least the writing team.. Yes, they can air a shitty show just because they can, but I bet working there would feel much more rewarding if you could tell the audience really enjoys watching the show and isn't just sitting in front of TV out of a habit.

And I seriously want Ken Corday to finally step aside. This show really needs new enthusiasm in its management. Greg Meng seemed to have some during the reboot in 2011 but he, too, vanished rather quickly.
Edited by IIttu, Apr 28 2013, 05:17 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

ladyofthelake
Apr 28 2013, 05:07 PM
I think we really don't know who is in power and who's making the decisions. I will have to be honest: the J&M thing doesn't bother me. Often, I think Drake does better with other actors, but that's just me. (Yes, I know. Heresy!!!) The Jack thing bothered the hell out of me, though.
But, I do think this storyline could include Doc in on his plan. A little, I think, has to do with people who really don't understand the personalities. Probably a lot has to do with too many cooks spoiling the broth, with too many head honchos in too many various places in power wanting their ways. Soaps don't have the pull for TV they once did. And, based on what I read on boards with other shows, even prime-time, character changes and writing them weirdly and out of personality isn't unique to this show. And, of course, the filming so far ahead of time where there isn't time to make quit changes on something that doesn't work doesn't help. In all honesty, I think the powers that be might consider Days fans a lot like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. I haven't been on boards very long, but it seems to me every year or two, there is always an "Off with his head!" or "Off with her head" campaign. After a while, I think they'd just shrug those off.
You see I wouldn't be worried about the writing for John and Marlena if some of the same patterns that occurred in late 2008/2009 where showing up again.....they are being marginalized, written OOC. To top it all off, this all started to happen a few months after TomSell were back at DOOL in the writing capacity this time. It has long been rumored (and now I believe it was absolutely truth btw) that Tomlin was in fact writing for a good part of the time that Dena was suppose to be pushing out her outlines. It's evident now that maybe the problem was that Tomlin just had his finger in the co-ep pot and in the writing room too. To top it all off he's treating Lucas the same exact fucking way he did in 2009 and it's not like this time around he can't include him in a story, shit HE'S GOING TO BE A GRANDPA, but remember what occurred the last time in the Dan/Chloe/Lucas triangle? Tomlin/Dena (whomever was writing) took him out of his own fucking triangle and transplanted him with Kate...soon after Lucas was written off.....let's face it...it's too much of a coincidence that the ONLY THREE FUCKING VETS That remained after the purge when TomSell got hired are being treated the SAME EXACT WAY THEY WERE BEFORE. Let's face it....he doesn't like writing for them, and unless he goes, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

The minute I heard that TomSell had replaced MarDar I knew that Lucas' days were numbered, I hoped for the best, but knew it was impossible. That man is toxic to this show. Think about it this way...he's supposedly been 'forced' to write for Ejami, explains the air time and kind of story he has given them....we all know if this was Safe he was forced to write for (like what happened in late 2009) then he'd be giving them tons of airtime and showcasing their love story. He has ways of getting around what he doesn't like.....and low and behold if he was forced not to go with Safe, then Rafe could not be without a believable love interest for too long....enter Chrishell's character..
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

LuvingLumi
Apr 28 2013, 05:17 PM
ladyofthelake
Apr 28 2013, 05:07 PM
You see I wouldn't be worried about the writing for John and Marlena if some of the same patterns that occurred in late 2008/2009 where showing up again.....they are being marginalized, written OOC. To top it all off, this all started to happen a few months after TomSell were back at DOOL in the writing capacity this time. It has long been rumored (and now I believe it was absolutely truth btw) that Tomlin was in fact writing for a good part of the time that Dena was suppose to be pushing out her outlines. It's evident now that maybe the problem was that Tomlin just had his finger in the co-ep pot and in the writing room too. To top it all off he's treating Lucas the same exact fucking way he did in 2009 and it's not like this time around he can't include him in a story, shit HE'S GOING TO BE A GRANDPA, but remember what occurred the last time in the Dan/Chloe/Lucas triangle? Tomlin/Dena (whomever was writing) took him out of his own fucking triangle and transplanted him with Kate...soon after Lucas was written off.....let's face it...it's too much of a coincidence that the ONLY THREE FUCKING VETS That remained after the purge when TomSell got hired are being treated the SAME EXACT WAY THEY WERE BEFORE. Let's face it....he doesn't like writing for them, and unless he goes, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

The minute I heard that TomSell had replaced MarDar I knew that Lucas' days were numbered, I hoped for the best, but knew it was impossible. That man is toxic to this show. Think about it this way...he's supposedly been 'forced' to write for Ejami, explains the air time and kind of story he has given them....we all know if this was Safe he was forced to write for (like what happened in late 2009) then he'd be giving them tons of airtime and showcasing their love story. He has ways of getting around what he doesn't like.....and low and behold if he was forced not to go with Safe, then Rafe could not be without a believable love interest for too long....enter Chrishell's character..
You could be right. Then again, I don't have a horse in this race. :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

tylerbo20

Tomsell owns NBC and Sony I swear that's the only reason he's still running the show
Offline Profile Goto Top

tylerbo20

Unless its not gonna be renewed and NBC is just letting it run out of sand instead of investing in it like abc did to save gh
Offline Profile Goto Top

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

I don't think they want to cancel it. Right now, it's pretty much their "best" vehicle to pimp their prime-time lineup. How many "Smash" and "Animal Practice" and etc commercials & pop-up banners did we see? OOOOOOODLES!! Smash - pretty much cancelled. Animal Practice, gone. Do No Harm - cancelled after 2 episodes.

All of the money they wasted on their prime-time stuff could have been invested into Days - more air-time, better writers with a 2-3 year umbrella- character-driven storyline that would not only keep the vets (actors and viewers) on board, but brought in the younger set so it made sense, and introduced new characters properly so we could learn who they are, what makes them tick & give a damn about them before they were front & center. Unfortunately, Mr. Corday & the pencil-pushin morons along with Tomlin are more focused on gimmicks and "Let's try this pairing!" to spike ratings instead of building them up over time and keeping them where they should & could be.

Can the show be saved? Certainly - but unless & until Mr. Corday & the other executives at Sony, NBC & Comcast understand what needs to be done, the sands may be running out. Just my opinion of course.

OK, I know this isn't exactly a Tweet post, but it's still along the lines of the topic at hand at this point in the thread - sorry for the de-railment.
Edited by No1_ILoveLucyFan, Apr 28 2013, 07:01 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

IIttu
Apr 28 2013, 05:14 PM
annie21
The writers and execs seem to recognize that the core 2 million viewers are going to watch no matter what Viewers can rant and complain as loud and as long as they like. But as long as that same core audience keeps tuning in, it won't matter.
THIS. I've been under the same impression for so long, and it really annoys me because I personally want to do the job I'm paid to do as well as possible, no matter how minor or big the job itself is. It's about moral. And especially in this business I'd expect to see some sort of professional pride both by the actors and the crew. No one on Days should be satisfied by average performances, the least the writing team.. Yes, they can air a shitty show just because they can, but I bet working there would feel much more rewarding if you could tell the audience really enjoys watching the show and isn't just sitting in front of TV out of a habit.

And I seriously want Ken Corday to finally step aside. This show really needs new enthusiasm in its management. Greg Meng seemed to have some during the reboot in 2011 but he, too, vanished rather quickly.
I am not sure that Corday stepping aside is the answer. Although I agree that he is pretty ineffectual as an EP I believe that any nods to the past are his doing. I think if he stepped aside you would have Sony (and Tomlin) running the show and they don't give a damn about any legacy characters or old-time viewers at all. It might be a case of be careful what you wish for.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic