Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Ratings Report for the Week of April 15-19, 2013
Topic Started: Apr 26 2013, 04:12 AM (3,033 Views)
Vicky4Mimi

Days was on here Wednesday, boring those willing to watch (obviously with a 1.7 not many bothered). The problem with Wednesday had nothing to do with the pre-emtion (or lack there of) IMO.

Even JS and AS's attempt to encourage viewers on twitter to watch failed miserably. (Maybe JS should have answered when the Ejoles were tweeting to him that day?)

I can't wait to see ratings for next Wednesday when we had the "fan favorites" out druming up some business on twitter that day! It does work wonders to give the fans something that actually care about! Obviously.

And GO GH! They seem to be going about everything just perfect these days and I couldn't be more pleased! Listening to the fans does work!
Edited by Vicky4Mimi, Apr 26 2013, 02:44 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

My show was cut off Wednesday, and the other networks did not cut in to their soaps like NBC did. It obviously affected the number of viewers who were counted for Days.

Days is holding their own right now with some pretty average stories.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

The only thing I find interesting is how unrelated the Social Media is to actual ratings. On Wednesday JS and AS had their Ejami Tweetfest and if I recall correctly Days and Ejami both trended. This was on the day with the lowest ratings for the week. Honestly, if there had been enough of a preemption I think NBC would have not counted Wednesdays.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Don't put a stot of stock in trending. You can pay companies to get you trending. It only takes one person willing to spend money. Much like getting followers and friends.
Edited by Aliaron, Apr 26 2013, 08:38 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

samwel

Cathalina
Apr 26 2013, 06:13 PM
The only thing I find interesting is how unrelated the Social Media is to actual ratings. On Wednesday JS and AS had their Ejami Tweetfest and if I recall correctly Days and Ejami both trended. This was on the day with the lowest ratings for the week. Honestly, if there had been enough of a preemption I think NBC would have not counted Wednesdays.
yeah that is why Nielson is going to start using twitter soon as a ratings measure and networks like ABC are using it as marketing strategies. Networks encourage viewers to help make their show trend and are incorporating live tweeting in plenty shows.

Just like the Pope week and those interruptions, they have to take the numbers as they get them, they cannot pick and choose.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harlee Kin
Member Avatar

I hope their ratings increase soon.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Bee
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Apr 26 2013, 08:37 PM
Don't put a stot of stock in trending. You can pay companies to get you trending. It only takes one person willing to spend money. Much like getting followers and friends.
No one paid to make Days or Ejami trend on Wednesday. That'd be the day. :eyeroll:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I was speaking in general but how do you know? Have you asked every fan? It only takes one. I dont put stock in twitter or facebook. A lot of it is fake. Heck studies have shown much of it is fake.

If someone would pay to send gifts to actors who is to say someone wouldn't pay to make their ship trend? People are willing to falsify polls and surveys but faking trends somehow crosses a line?

Twitter account are becoming like email. Everyone has multiple ones.
Edited by Aliaron, Apr 27 2013, 01:45 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

samwel
Apr 26 2013, 10:27 PM
Cathalina
yeah that is why Nielson is going to start using twitter soon as a ratings measure and networks like ABC are using it as marketing strategies. Networks encourage viewers to help make their show trend and are incorporating live tweeting in plenty shows.

Just like the Pope week and those interruptions, they have to take the numbers as they get them, they cannot pick and choose.
Would it be the first time networks or a corporation made a mistake? Also, my point was there seems to be a pretty big disconnect between the Twitter trending and what the ratings came down to. If trending is a measure of popularity for show, then the ratings should follow suit. The whole tweeting while watching thing - that's the point - they are watching while Tweeting. Tweeting is all well and fine, but why would an advertiser care about someone tweeting? They want them watching to see their advertisement.

Another thing, and this is from a friend with a Nielsen Box, you only have to be watching a show for a certain number of minutes (10 or 15 I think she said) for it to count as having been viewed. The networks don't have to swallow the numbers as they come - if there is a significant preemption or it falls on a holiday the ratings for that day do not count.
Edited by Cathalina, Apr 27 2013, 08:51 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

samwel

Cathalina
Apr 27 2013, 08:44 AM
samwel
Apr 26 2013, 10:27 PM
Cathalina

Would it be the first time networks or a corporation made a mistake? Also, my point was there seems to be a pretty big disconnect between the Twitter trending and what the ratings came down to. If trending is a measure of popularity for show, then the ratings should follow suit.

Another thing, and this is from a friend with a Nielsen Box, you only have to be watching a show for a certain number of minutes (10 or 15 I think she said) for it to count as having been viewed. The networks don't have to swallow the numbers as they come - if there is a significant preemption or it falls on a holiday the ratings for that day do not count.
there isn't, what they have realised is that the box is not the only good gauge and as for them being wrong about it, sure, ask Scandal.

I am not sure what box your friend has, but I know it all counts, its why when you DVR the show they tell you not to FFWD the commercials because you need to watch it all for it to count.

Quote:

No one paid to make Days or Ejami trend on Wednesday. That'd be the day.

:lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

The issue with Scandal and Twitter is that they found the increase in Twitter volume correlates to a subsequent increase in ratings. Scandal got tweeted, and then the ratings went up. This is not what happened here. The Twitter volume increased, while the ratings decreased.

As far as the box she has, as I said before it is a Nielsen Box. The whole thing "counts" per se, however ratings are then redone at the midway mark to see viewer retention (I guess this is to judge if a show is a good lead-in). A half-hour show would be recalculated at the 15 minute mark, while an hour show I think its half-hour. Therefore, those preemptions really wouldn't have influenced the ratings IMO. Wednesday was just a bad day for DAYS.
Offline Profile Goto Top

samwel

Cathalina
Apr 27 2013, 09:01 AM
The issue with Scandal and Twitter is that they found the increase in Twitter volume correlates to a subsequent increase in ratings. Scandal got tweeted, and then the ratings went up. This is not what happened here. The Twitter volume increased, while the ratings decreased.

As far as the box she has, as I said before it is a Nielsen Box. The whole thing "counts" per se, however ratings are then redone at the midway mark to see viewer retention (I guess this is to judge if a show is a good lead-in). A half-hour show would be recalculated at the 15 minute mark, while an hour show I think its half-hour. Therefore, those preemptions really wouldn't have influenced the ratings IMO. Wednesday was just a bad day for DAYS.
actually its not just that, its the fact that it has about 2mill less viewers than elementary, yet generates the most buzz......its a medium that all of the pther soaps are tapping into and asking viewers to make it trend......talk about the show and you get advertisers attention.......and you d realise that at certain marks ppl did not have the show right? something simular happened a few wks ago and there was no problem acknowledging it then, so why the problem now?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Bee
Member Avatar

Aliaron
Apr 27 2013, 01:37 AM
I was speaking in general but how do you know? Have you asked every fan? It only takes one. I dont put stock in twitter or facebook. A lot of it is fake. Heck studies have shown much of it is fake.

If someone would pay to send gifts to actors who is to say someone wouldn't pay to make their ship trend? People are willing to falsify polls and surveys but faking trends somehow crosses a line?

Here is an article about how hashtags work. I think you'll find it informative:

http://www.dailybloggr.com/2010/03/how-to-make-a-trending-topic-on-twitter-and-how-not-to/

Paying to make a topic trend on Twitter is called a "promoted tweet" and it appears at the top of the trending topics with a "promoted tweet" note underneath it. Promoted tweets cost $120,000 a day. If there is a superfan out there with that kind of money to burn, I would love to meet my new best friend! :cheers:

These are the only two ways to make a topic trend on Twitter - anything else is urban legend.

I believe from professional experience that Twitter and GetGlue and Facebook and Pinterest are great self-promotion for all of the soaps. It's fantastic to see the stars of the soaps generating enough interest to make their shows trend. Any bit of buzz is good for the ratings right now. If one person sees it trend and decides to give the show a whirl, it's done its job.

The soaps are doing well right now. Last week was a big news week and they still held on. I couldn't really watch the show because NBC cut into the show several times in my area to report on the Boston bombers. I ended up watching the show online in the evening.
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Bee
Apr 27 2013, 09:27 AM
Aliaron
Apr 27 2013, 01:37 AM

Here is an article about how hashtags work. I think you'll find it informative:

http://www.dailybloggr.com/2010/03/how-to-make-a-trending-topic-on-twitter-and-how-not-to/

Paying to make a topic trend on Twitter is called a "promoted tweet" and it appears at the top of the trending topics with a "promoted tweet" note underneath it. Promoted tweets cost $120,000 a day. If there is a superfan out there with that kind of money to burn, I would love to meet my new best friend! :cheers:

These are the only two ways to make a topic trend on Twitter - anything else is urban legend.

I believe from professional experience that Twitter and GetGlue and Facebook and Pinterest are great self-promotion for all of the soaps. It's fantastic to see the stars of the soaps generating enough interest to make their shows trend. Any bit of buzz is good for the ratings right now. If one person sees it trend and decides to give the show a whirl, it's done its job.

The soaps are doing well right now. Last week was a big news week and they still held on. I couldn't really watch the show because NBC cut into the show several times in my area to report on the Boston bombers. I ended up watching the show online in the evening.
Thanks for the link... very informative. One of the things that I noticed that was mentioned in this article was buying retweets as a way to trend on Twitter, and it's not really expensive, esp if you would get several people to do it or to go in on it. Price examples were 50 retweets for $17; 100 for $32 and 1000 for $97. I am not saying that this was done, only that it is possible and affordable and is done usually within 24 hours of the time you request it.

Also, maybe I am confused about this trending thing, but isn't any comment made about a subject, show, etc., counted in the trend even if it is negative.... as long as it used the #and the name or show.... #Days, for example? So, if this is true, then no one has any idea how many comments were positive or negative, just that they were made and got the traffice on twitter. If that is the case, then many could have been tweeting negative comments on Wed, helping to make Days trend, but then not watching it, correct?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

You can also pay an outside company to trend. Much like paying for facebook friends and followers. Its not hard or expensive. And they dont show up as promoted trends.

Edited by Aliaron, Apr 27 2013, 10:43 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

Like I said before...there are sites like http://fiverr.com/ , where some guy in a foreign country does all your social media grunt work for a few bucks.....then there are sites like hootsuite, where you can create multiple twitter accounts and hook them all up to hootsuite then schedule tweets to go out on all of them at any time.

Frankly twitter trending and the correlation with higher ratings is what the shows look for more than anything. For example, the first day Frisco was back, GH saw an over 3 million viewer day for the first time in years, stuff like that is what they look for. Ali and James live tweeting that day didn't even create that much of a trend anyway....I saw Ejami trend earlier in the year for about an hour or so.....and the ratings didn't correlate with the trend. IMHO Days just needs to focus on writing good stories and forget about twitter trending and social media telling them what people supposedly want to see or not...if they write good well balanced stories, people will tune in regardless of if their ship is on or not.
Online Profile Goto Top

Cathalina

samwel
Apr 27 2013, 09:09 AM
Cathalina

actually its not just that, its the fact that it has about 2mill less viewers than elementary, yet generates the most buzz......its a medium that all of the pther soaps are tapping into and asking viewers to make it trend......talk about the show and you get advertisers attention.......and you d realise that at certain marks ppl did not have the show right? something simular happened a few wks ago and there was no problem acknowledging it then, so why the problem now?
What I don't understand there being a problem acknowledging is that the ratings for Wednesday were the lowest for the week, and there's very little excuse for it. The preemptions prior were for longer periods of time and were on a larger scale. Larger sections of those shows were preempted. Also, as far as Scandal there's a really good article (I can link it when I am on the computer, I still haven't figured out how to do it on my phone!) that explains the networks view the Twitter correlation as mostly a phenomenon in the key demo, which is what they are after anyway.
Offline Profile Goto Top

samwel

Cathalina
Apr 27 2013, 05:01 PM
samwel
Apr 27 2013, 09:09 AM
Cathalina

What I don't understand there being a problem acknowledging is that the ratings for Wednesday were the lowest for the week, and there's very little excuse for it. The preemptions prior were for longer periods of time and were on a larger scale. Larger sections of those shows were preempted. Also, as far as Scandal there's a really good article (I can link it when I am on the computer, I still haven't figured out how to do it on my phone!) that explains the networks view the Twitter correlation as mostly a phenomenon in the key demo, which is what they are after anyway.
I know the article thanks, which stresses the importance of twitter totally negating your intial point of networks being wrong and what I see here is the refusal to acknowledge what happened that day.....we have our very own soapgal telling us that she only got last 30 mins but you are saying it was not for an extended period...... :glare:
Offline Profile Goto Top

samwel

LuvingLumi
Apr 27 2013, 11:04 AM
Like I said before...there are sites like http://fiverr.com/ , where some guy in a foreign country does all your social media grunt work for a few bucks.....then there are sites like hootsuite, where you can create multiple twitter accounts and hook them all up to hootsuite then schedule tweets to go out on all of them at any time.

Frankly twitter trending and the correlation with higher ratings is what the shows look for more than anything. For example, the first day Frisco was back, GH saw an over 3 million viewer day for the first time in years, stuff like that is what they look for. Ali and James live tweeting that day didn't even create that much of a trend anyway....I saw Ejami trend earlier in the year for about an hour or so.....and the ratings didn't correlate with the trend. IMHO Days just needs to focus on writing good stories and forget about twitter trending and social media telling them what people supposedly want to see or not...if they write good well balanced stories, people will tune in regardless of if their ship is on or not.
James and AS tweeted for their fans, to enhance the enjoyment of the eppy for their fans and a lucky by-product was that it trended regardless of how long it was for.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Stop it. Please.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Locked Topic