Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
THR: Networks refuse to run ads for AMC, OLTL
Topic Started: Apr 26 2013, 10:32 AM (1,279 Views)
Ellie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/all-my-children-oltl-ads-444816
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

salempc
Member Avatar

Quote:

One of those actors is Roger Howarth, who played Todd Manning on the old OLTL. With Prospect's permission, he played the same character beginning in March 2012 on ABC's General Hospital but eventually was killed off. GH now plans to bring him back as another character, while he also is set to co-star in the revived OLTL.

Guess I missed that particular episode, lol.

Quote:

ABC sources say the network was willing to accept ads within GH because of the licensing relationship, but on April 17 when Prospect submitted an ad for OLTL that included Howarth prominently. ABC refused it -- on the grounds that it would confuse the audience.

If I can keep track of the twisted family trees in Port Charles, Salem and Llanview etc., I'm pretty sure that something as simple as an actor playing two roles on two shows won't confuse me.

Silly move by CBS & ABC imo (I'll exempt NBC since it doesn't appear that PP followed through).

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I don't blame CBS or NBC one bit for refusing to airs ads for AMC/OLTL *during* their soaps commercials...thats INSANE.

However, Prospect Park refusing to air their ads during primetime (like NBC offered them) is incredibly stupid.

As for ABC...well considering all the legal drama going on, I am not surprised one bit they are not putting ads on their network either.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Apr 26 2013, 10:52 AM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Yeah, i don't blame CBS or NBC.

happy
Member Avatar

Looks like PP cut their nose to spite their face.

I hears Frons is part of PP. Is this true? If so, it makes sense, because PP is getting bad advice from someone.

lilkatie24

No Frons is not a part of PP that was a rumor that PP themselves debunked. As for not showing ads on CBS or NBC give me a break its not like OLTL or AMC will be able to challenge Days or Y&R/B&B they are online I don't see why they wouldn't show ads.

But this whole article is wrong. Todd was not killed off GH JFC.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

If it wasn't for that shoemaker Frons ,there'd be no need for the two soaps to be revived in the first place.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Apr 26 2013, 12:50 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

PP very candidly shot down the Frons rumor. Pretty much that why on earth would they work with someone who cancelled the soaps they are reviving.

As for the ad thing, I get the CBS and even NBC angle. PP should have let NBC run the ads in primetime. I mean, WHY NOT? That seems stupid. Same for FOX. Who cares if Fox doesn't have a history? I know it would never happen but maybe they'd pick up the shows? :shrug:

I'm not sure how the ads/negotiations for ad time works at all but I personally don't think PP should be that choosy. All the exposure they get, the better.
Edited by KMan101, Apr 26 2013, 12:45 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

PP probably didn't want to pay what primetime NBC ads would go for.

OliveAnn

I get why CBS refused to air the ads. They have to think about their business. I get NBC's response, too, but I also think it's stupid of PP that they didn't want to have their ads in the primetime. I mean, what better exposure than primetime? But, I guess their intention was to attack the remaining TV soaps and steal their audience.

I really don't get why they didn't want to air their ads on FOX. 1)Their ads have aired on the CW and that network's only connection to soaps is that it aired Daytime Emmys one year. 2)AMC and OLTL wir air on TV in Canada, on FX Canada. FX and Fox are owned by the same company. If PP want their shows to go back on TV eventually in the US (on FX or somewhere else), they should have tried to give the ads to Fox.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

The audience the CW attracts are the type that will watch shows on their computers and tablets. Unlike the older audiences the others attract during primetime.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Why in the name of the Soap Gods would ANY soap want to air ads, during their soap, for another soap???? PP is being a bit ridicules.
Edited by Tammy, Apr 26 2013, 07:34 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Tammy
Apr 26 2013, 07:33 PM
Why in the name of the Soap Gods would ANY soap want to air ads, during their soap, for another soap???? PP is being a bit ridicules.
I kind of see both sides. ABC's bridge is burned. But it's not like they're really taking away from CBS or NBC since viewers can watch their shows and then PP's whenever they want. It's not a static schedule anymore.

They should realize a healthy industry is good for everyone, like how DC and Marvel comics both run ads in their rival's books.

ZackMallory

AMC is ON FIRE right now and if the show would air like that on television.... i bet my A$$ off that it would be Number 2 on the rating list in the first week and beat GH/B&B/DAYS.... because it was verry high on Hulu with views and everything... have not an actual number but it was about 3 million...and B&B has just 3 million... so AMC's return could be too dangerous for the telly soaps

NBC is the most ridiculous network ever... cancelled Another World for Passions (No offense love both shows) BUT why u would cancel a show like AW after 34/35 years for A NEW Soap... ridiculous... they haven't even tried to do a turn over... and cancelled Sunset Beach..

darraholic
Member Avatar

Drew
Apr 26 2013, 01:17 PM
PP probably didn't want to pay what primetime NBC ads would go for.
PP probably wanted people to actually see their ads.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Honestly I don't know why any network would want to support/promote this whether in daytime or primetime. If it really takes off (along with the Netflix shows and whatever Amazon was supposed to be putting together) it further reduces their influence and potentially diminishes their profits. They already have to battle with cable in a way, why should they assist the growth of another distribution model?

PP needs to leverage Twitter and the interwebs on this one, I think.

nightfan

Here's what pisses me off: We're not going to get weekly promos for the TOLN soaps, are we? Just "More" episodes. I haven't seen one promo for, like, a storyline. Just the promo we've all seen announcing the soaps' revival

KMan101
Member Avatar

I'd love for them to do more promos. Maybe they will. They did a far more classy, sleek job than any network, TBH. I usually hate a lot of the soap promos the network push out. Just bad.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Todd was killed off,really,must not been very good,oh wait,that never happened.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply