Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC: Week of April 29th Discussion
Topic Started: Apr 28 2013, 04:53 PM (2,984 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

AMC: Week of April 29th Discussion

Posted Image

**If this thread gets enough action we may go to daily instead**
Attached to this post:
Attachments: AMC_.jpg (22.42 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

I've never really watched AMC before. the only episodes i saw were when Jessie came back in 2008. the promos were just too damn good not to watch. so anyway, i have no clue who these other people are really, but im entertained and gonna try to get into it. i wanna support both shows

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I didn't really like the AMC premiere.

The biggest thing for me was the 5 year jump. Like OK we get it, something shitty happened at the Chandler mansion. But everyone still acting like it happened yesterday is just not believable. You can hint around it and build a mystery out of what happened in the 5 years but the way they're going about it is just too heavy handed and bad writing.
Edited by Drew, Apr 29 2013, 08:30 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

It's not really as much of a 5 year jump as it is a 3 1/2 year jump since, even in real time, it's been about a year and a half since the show went off the air. Also, in a genre when characters can age 15+ years in the span of 7 years (and not always in the right order), time jumps aren't that big of a deal for me. Especially on a show where Kendall is really supposed to be AT LEAST 43+ years old and older than Charlie Brent.
Edited by Matt, Apr 29 2013, 09:01 PM.

nightfan

Whoa, risque! With the vageterian and the towel tease!
Enjoying the show so far... (still in first five minutes.)

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Matt
Apr 29 2013, 09:00 PM
It's not really as much of a 5 year jump as it is a 3 1/2 year jump since, even in real time, it's been about a year and a half since the show went off the air. Also, in a genre when characters can age 15+ years in the span of 7 years (and not always in the right order), time jumps aren't that big of a deal for me. Especially on a show where Kendall is really supposed to be AT LEAST 43+ years old and older than Charlie Brent.
It's not the jump itself that kills it for me.

Its Brooke having over the top nightmares, Dixie fondling old clothes, and everyone all over town bringing it up at the most odd times (like getting romantic on the couch) as though it happened last week. Are we to expect that this has really been their daily existence for the 5 missing years? (When this show's had far worse happen than a single shooting and everyone carried on) It's just sloppy to me. You can build mystery and setup story without hitting the viewer over the head with a sledge hammer.
Edited by Drew, Apr 29 2013, 09:42 PM.

nightfan

I guess the big question is whether Erica Kane was killed. That's one of the reasons I'm watching.

But what would be nice is if something freakish and black hole-y/scientific fiction happened. That would better satisfy Drew's concern about how people are reacting five years after the fact. Maybe it was more than just a shooting. Or maybe there was more to it than that. I agree that the reactions are over the top given the time that has passed. That's why hope springs eternal that there's more to the story.

LuvtheSoaps
Member Avatar

excellent first show, im hooked

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Drew
Apr 29 2013, 09:40 PM
Matt
Apr 29 2013, 09:00 PM
It's not the jump itself that kills it for me.

Its Brooke having over the top nightmares, Dixie fondling old clothes, and everyone all over town bringing it up at the most odd times (like getting romantic on the couch) as though it happened last week. Are we to expect that this has really been their daily existence for the 5 missing years? (When this show's had far worse happen than a single shooting and everyone carried on) It's just sloppy to me. You can build mystery and setup story without hitting the viewer over the head with a sledge hammer.
True. I can see that point. However, I'm also used to characters & storylines being long forgotten until suddenly EVERYONE in town is talking about the event like it just happened when a new stories tied to that story is about to start or that long-forgotten character is about to make a return.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Good eppi :)

Cara/David were hotttt. I really liked everything, *except* the guy playing AJ looks like he's pushing 30 not in high school. He has good chem with Miranda I just don't buy his age.

Edit, okay apparently he's 21 almost 22. Idk though I still think he looks older than that.
Edited by blueskies, Apr 29 2013, 11:04 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I liked it, but not near as much as OLTL

The opening looks like a 1990 Primetime family drama

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

And if the Babe sister who was only on the show for 5 minutes is the "soul of Pine Valley" ...... LOL!

KMan101
Member Avatar

The second episode was good, but kind of 'meh'.

I liked Miranda and Bianca's scenes. The totally realistic and normal reactions of Miranda. Bianca's clear heartbreak over the realization her daughter is 'too cool' for her.

I liked Dixie's little breakdown with Brooke but at the same time, I'm with Drew on how 'that night' is being handled. I'm kinda ready to just get it over with and move on and dive right into new AMC. I'm kinda over the gunshot and 'that night'.

I also liked seeing Opal's sadness over Pete wanting to live his own life. It's very real. I feel for her.

Angie and Joe catching up was nice. Glad to hear Ruth is still around (visiting Jake and Amanda). Got some back story on Cassie, and more on Maya. Joe seems distanced from Dixie.

I think I'll like Jane. I'm glad AMC has those 'go to' characters again, like Jane and Evelyn, even if they're both new (though Francesca James isn't, of course). It works.

I loved Celia's scenes with Evelyn, wanting to 'live' and go out and do things and sleep with a man. It felt realistic. Evelyn's not quite the ice queen I thought she'd be, I like that she's firm but also very warm. So glad Francesca James is back. I do find it ironic that Palmer's son will get involved with someone who reminds me of Nina in a big way.

The flow was a little better. Still kind of islanded, but better.

It's interesting how fragmented the town kind of is over that night, I buy that part of it. A lot of people feel so differently about Pine Valley. Then you have the fresh faces so exuberant and full of life. I like the contrast.

eyebrowns

Some of the dialogue had me rolling my eyes thought I've yet to know all of these characters. It's fresh but at the same time a little stunted, I only have hope it'll get better though! It just feels like they're just setting stuff up right now.

WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

although i dont know anyone, i will say that AMC is doing a better job than OLTL of explaining where everyone is. maybe its because OLTL started with more intensity/drama. im sure they'll get around to explaining why half the city is MIA :blulaugh:

dragonflies
Member Avatar

AMC basically is starting from scratch OLTL isn't

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

I am liking AMC's younger set more than OLTL's.

meaghan

Miranda and Bianca look more like sisters than mother and daughter. Bianca just looks to young for a 13 year old daughter.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

meaghan

WrecklessLove
Apr 30 2013, 12:37 PM
although i dont know anyone, i will say that AMC is doing a better job than OLTL of explaining where everyone is. maybe its because OLTL started with more intensity/drama. im sure they'll get around to explaining why half the city is MIA :blulaugh:
I was thinking the same thing. I know everyone didn't come back but at least explain where they are.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

I am trying, I really am... but I am not getting into AMC at all.

The opening... I have seen better openings in fan made montages. (Not that OLTL's is all that great either lol)

There are too many new faces for me, makes it hard to understand and follow. I realize they needed to age the kids, but they made Miranda WAY to old.

I am already getting bored with the whole who is in a coma and who is dead thing. Unless it is the "anniversary" of these events taking place I don't get why everyone is working it into every conversation.

I will try to keep watching because I want to support these shows, but it's not looking good for me and AMC lol.

Checkers
Member Avatar

I'm really liking AMC. To me it feels like old school soap.

AMC is #1 on Hulu again.

Posted Image

The first episode is doing good on iTunes.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply