Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, May 1st Daily Discussion
Topic Started: May 1 2013, 06:52 AM (6,056 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

guessgirl
May 1 2013, 01:29 PM
Ewwhh you know something is wrong with you when you prefer the Fetch scene over the lovely dovely scene with Ejami. *shudders* (And I hate both couples)
NO darling NOTHING is wrong with you. I hate Dannifer but I hate Ejami too and if I had to choose, I'd choose to watch Dannifer over the disgusting, vile shit that Ejami is any day of the week.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sweet and Salty

Matt
May 1 2013, 12:47 PM
BWAHAHA! EJ teasing Rafe over the stripping! lol
....and Rafe's comeback wasn't too shabby either!! Everette's face got a little tense!

Sweet and Salty

rfsexton
May 1 2013, 01:00 PM
not much chatter on today's ep
I know!! Is everyone watching the footage on the Boston arrest?!

Sweet and Salty

Matt
May 1 2013, 01:53 PM
Subtext is playing what's not specifically written in the dialog. Playing the right subtext often gives dialog completely different flavors. Take for example two characters discussing going shopping and making a grocery list. The dialog itself is nondescript and to just read it implies nothing more than two characters making a shopping list. Take the same dialog and have the actors perform it as if they're a married couple who live together, but are on the verge of getting divorced. It gives the scene a very nuanced shading. Then again, take the exact same dialog, but have the actors perform it as roommates who are secretly attracted to one another, but can't admit it yet. Same dialog. ENTIRELY different scene. Subtext. The problem with certain actors is that they just do NOT have the ability to play any subtext (or the right subtext). A scene about making a grocery list becomes just that -- a scene about making a grocery list. And it's pretty damn boring. Likewise, a good script writer is able to convey the necessary subtext in their scripts via stage directions.
Way cool and excellent description!! Do you have college education in acting, fashion, etc....?

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

LuvingLumi
May 1 2013, 02:21 PM
guessgirl
May 1 2013, 01:29 PM
Ewwhh you know something is wrong with you when you prefer the Fetch scene over the lovely dovely scene with Ejami. *shudders* (And I hate both couples)
NO darling NOTHING is wrong with you. I hate Dannifer but I hate Ejami too and if I had to choose, I'd choose to watch Dannifer over the disgusting, vile shit that Ejami is any day of the week.
I disagree. Although I'm not an EJami fan, I can watch them-- they have chemistry. Dannifer--No Way, even without angst in their scenes they don't have any chemistry.
They're :yawnz:
Edited by bellajewel, May 1 2013, 03:14 PM.

Sweet and Salty

Supergirlx2
May 1 2013, 01:54 PM
Sweet and Salty
May 1 2013, 01:48 PM
Matt
May 1 2013, 12:37 PM
Eric & Nicole are master eye-fuckers. And Zucker & Vaughan has the art of subtext down to a science.
What exactly is "subtext"? Can you give me an example?
old school example: Hope talking to Melissa about Larry & Bo. The dialogue itself has Hope saying that she wants to be with Larry and that she doesn't love Bo any more, but the delivery itself is saying just the opposite - Hope's trying to convince herself that Larry's the one for her and that she doesn't love Bo, when in actuality, Bo's the only one in her heart.

in the Eric/Nicole current scene, the subtext is their sexual attraction to one another.
Thank you for more examples! Helps me "get it"!

Sweet and Salty

AFaithL
May 1 2013, 02:01 PM
Deidre Hall is great at subtext.

Greg Vaughan and Ari Zucker have been selling the subtext during their scenes recently.
Totally see that in Marlena, and oh does Father Eric play it well in this situation as well!!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Sweet and Salty
May 1 2013, 03:01 PM
Matt
Subtext is playing what's not specifically written in the dialog. Playing the right subtext often gives dialog completely different flavors. Take for example two characters discussing going shopping and making a grocery list. The dialog itself is nondescript and to just read it implies nothing more than two characters making a shopping list. Take the same dialog and have the actors perform it as if they're a married couple who live together, but are on the verge of getting divorced. It gives the scene a very nuanced shading. Then again, take the exact same dialog, but have the actors perform it as roommates who are secretly attracted to one another, but can't admit it yet. Same dialog. ENTIRELY different scene. Subtext. The problem with certain actors is that they just do NOT have the ability to play any subtext (or the right subtext). A scene about making a grocery list becomes just that -- a scene about making a grocery list. And it's pretty damn boring. Likewise, a good script writer is able to convey the necessary subtext in their scripts via stage directions.
Way cool and excellent description!! Do you have college education in acting, fashion, etc....?
I was a theater major for a semester during college and, later, a broadcasting major. I never finished up a degree, unfortunately. I also read a lot of books on soap opera history and writing (especially both of Jean Rouverol's books which, IMO, are the 2 BEST books on the subject ever written) as well as collect (when able) old soap opera scripts.

Sweet and Salty

Matt
May 1 2013, 03:25 PM
Sweet and Salty
Matt
I was a theater major for a semester during college and, later, a broadcasting major. I never finished up a degree, unfortunately. I also read a lot of books on soap opera history and writing (especially both of Jean Rouverol's books which, IMO, are the 2 BEST books on the subject ever written) as well as collect (when able) old soap opera scripts.
Kewl!!! Do you watch the other three soaps?!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Sweet and Salty
May 1 2013, 03:29 PM
Matt
May 1 2013, 03:25 PM
Sweet and Salty
Matt
Kewl!!! Do you watch the other three soaps?!
in addition to DAYS, I watch B&B & GH. I keep trying Y&R but it keeps boring me to tears. I'm also watching the new OLTL & AMC as well as the UK soaps Coronation Street, Emmerdale, EastEnders, and Hollyoaks. I was also watching the Australian & New Zealand soaps (Home & Away, Neighbours, & Shortland Street) but there are only so many hours in the day. lol

PatNS
Member Avatar

Kate was the best part of the show today. Loved it when she asked Sami so sweetly - "Do you like the colour?" LOL!

You'd think EJ would learn by now trying to oneup Rafe never turns out well for him.

I also enjoyed the Nick / Rafe scenes.

Cam, Jen, Dan and company were okay.

EJ and Sami - Can't tolerate them and their arrogance.

Nicole trying to warn Eric about Vargas ... I wonder how that's going to work out for her.

Pookie
Member Avatar

Seeing Nick act like a little a bitch all over Salem - to people who are HELPING HIM - it's easy to see why he got his ass kicked on the regular while in prison. One just can't help but want to bitch slap him into the next century.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Abby, stop pimping Dan's greatness, I want to like you.

Poor Eric with his Varcole flashbacks. GV is the best.

LOL at Sami trying to pretend taking the money is no big deal.

samwel

Loved EJ's booty shake, too freaking cute a, I adore this side of him. I also love how he is concerned for Sami without being aloud, judgemental ass.......Kate and her gun was just everything :lol:

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Jennifer Rose is squealing about her favorite chef. And Abby is squealing over Cameron. They are basically teenage girlfriends.

I LOVE Nicole threatening Vargas.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

I love Eric's lack of comfort in talking about Varcole.

Nicole vs. Vargas - now that's a real contest!

Ugh, I really hope this EJ pseudo-jealousy thing is just a red herring to set up for Rafe's beating. I don't miss that side of him at all.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

Is this suppose to be the day that Rafe and Rj talk about Sami??

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Oooh Rafe causes Nick to lose his cool. I like that he's starting to crack.

So wait, EJ isn't jealous? This script is weird. Or how JS is playing it is weird. Whatever, Ejami kisses are hot!

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

It's kind of hard to buy Cameron's money woes when he's wearing his doctor's coat.

Oooh, I like the way that Vargas talked about Nicole calling out Eric's name during sex - sounded hot!

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Have I mentioned how awesome I think GV is with this material?

Oh JS, I love you, but I'm REALLY glad you weren't on #StripDays.

Jen looks like she's 60 in that hair and dress.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply