Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40th Annual Daytime Emmy Nominations
Topic Started: May 1 2013, 08:26 AM (7,348 Views)
juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Kenny
May 1 2013, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know if they still do that lead actress ladies luncheon?
Pretty sure they do. And with Flannery nominated for the last time (she being the one who started the Lead Actress luncheon), I can't imagine they'd skip it this year.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DOOLFan85

Evan
May 1 2013, 05:24 PM
It's very telling that DAYS was the only soap not to get a Best Writing nomination LOL

Here's who I'd like to win:
Best Drama: BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL
Best Actor: Peter Bergman or Michael Muhney
Best Actress: Susan Flannery
Best Supporting Actor: Billy Miller
Best Supporting Actress: Katherine Kelly Lang
Best Younger Male Actor: Chandler Massey
Best Younger Female Actress: Jacqueline Mackenzie Wood
I think this sounds about right. While I believe the dark horse for BD will be OLTL and the favorite will be GH because of the mass improvement and because it's GH. But I think in typical Bradley Bell fashion he'll find a way to build the ultimate tape for that category and win no. 4.

Now I love Ari Zucker and always root for her to win this category every year, but I have such a sweet spot for KKL I just want her to win so much. Or maybe this can be one of the few years we could have a tie. :shrug:

But the Best Actress nomination, come on now, can we just give it to Susan Flannery.

lovetoloveya

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood should've been in the lead actress category instead of the weaker Younger Actress one

On what version of B&B was Scott Clifton supporting?

GH doesn't belong in Outstanding makeup. And Y&R doesn't deserve Outstanding Hairstyling

OliveAnn

lovetoloveya
May 2 2013, 02:23 PM
Jacqueline MacInnes Wood should've been in the lead actress category instead of the weaker Younger Actress one

GH doesn't belong in Outstanding makeup. And Y&R doesn't deserve Outstanding Hairstyling
JMW can't submit in any other category because she's not old enough.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

OliveAnn
May 2 2013, 02:40 PM
lovetoloveya

I don't think that's true....I thought you could submit in ANY category you want, so long as you pass the pre-nom voting and make it to the final pre-nom lists.

Nate
Member Avatar
Bitch!

Outstanding Drama - OLTL/GH
Outstanding Writing Team - OLTL/GH
Outstanding Lead Actor - Jason Thompson (Patrick, GH)
Outstanding Lead Actress - Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)
Outstanding Supporting Actress - Arianne Zucker (Nicole, DAYS)
Outstanding Younger Actress - (Jacqueline Macinnes Woods, B&B)
Outstanding Younger Actor - Chandler Massey (Will, Y&R)
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction/Set Decoration/Scenic Design - DAYS
Outstanding Achievement For A Casting Director for a Drama Series - GH
Outstanding Achievement In Costume Design for a Drama Series - B&B
Outstanding Achievement In Hairstyling - B&B
Outstanding Achievement In Music Direction and Composition - Y&R
Outstanding Achievement for Stunt Coordination - B&B

Checkers
Member Avatar

I hope JT wins for lead actor.
Edited by Checkers, May 2 2013, 10:17 PM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Outstanding Writing - One Life to Live. IF Carlivati submitted the episode where Viki gives her speech about soaps. If not then B&B wins.
Younger Actor - Chandler Massey, DAYS.
Younger Actress - Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, B&B.
Supporting Actor - Bradford Anderson, GH.
Supporting Actress - Katherine Kelly Lang, B&B.
Lead Actor - Jason Thompson, GH. Its a toss up between Doug Davidson and Jason Thompson. Really impossible to pick. Think the Y&R split might help.
Lead Actress - Susan Flannery, B&B.
Outstanding Drama - B&B or GH.

Really would love to see Ari Zucker take home the Emmy, but I wouldn't be upset with KKL finally getting some respect. Plus she killed it in that reel. Supporting Actress is always the hardest choice. I just predicted a Y&R shutout and that will NOT happen so expect a surprise somewhere.

T-Love74
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
May 2 2013, 05:02 PM
OliveAnn
lovetoloveya

I don't think that's true....I thought you could submit in ANY category you want, so long as you pass the pre-nom voting and make it to the final pre-nom lists.
That's not true!! Actors 25 and under can ONLY submit work in the Younger Actor/Actress categories. Hence, why Bryton McClure has been in the Younger category for what seems like an eternity.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

T-Love74
May 3 2013, 01:14 AM
Mitchapalooza
OliveAnn
lovetoloveya

That's not true!! Actors 25 and under can ONLY submit work in the Younger Actor/Actress categories. Hence, why Bryton McClure has been in the Younger category for what seems like an eternity.
Um, you're wrong. They can submit themselves in any category they want. And Bryton McClure submits himself in Younger Actor because he only has like 30 episodes to choose from, not because he HAS to.

Julie Berman put herself in Supporting before she was 26 I believe and I'm pretty sure there have been others.

Either way, there is not now nor ever has there been a rule that if you meet the age requirement, you HAVE to submit in the Younger categories. :)

T-Love74
Member Avatar

juniorz1
May 3 2013, 06:14 AM
T-Love74
May 3 2013, 01:14 AM
Mitchapalooza
OliveAnn

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Um, you're wrong. They can submit themselves in any category they want. And Bryton McClure submits himself in Younger Actor because he only has like 30 episodes to choose from, not because he HAS to.

Julie Berman put herself in Supporting before she was 26 I believe and I'm pretty sure there have been others.

Either way, there is not now nor ever has there been a rule that if you meet the age requirement, you HAVE to submit in the Younger categories. :)
Umm, the last Emmy that Julie won was in the Younger Actress category and she just turned 26 when she won that one. And I stand by my original statement, actors 25 and under can only submit themselves in the Younger category says the Emmy rulebook.
Edited by T-Love74, May 3 2013, 09:57 AM.

WrecklessLove
Member Avatar

i really do think that LEAD actor and actress should only be one per show, but whatever. I hope Jason wins, but they have stacked the deck against him

T-Love74
Member Avatar

WrecklessLove
May 3 2013, 11:16 AM
i really do think that LEAD actor and actress should only be one per show, but whatever. I hope Jason wins, but they have stacked the deck against him
I think Jill Farren Phelps is to blame. I heard block voting is her forte. She did it on AW and GL, I believe.

jdawg1077

A few comments:

*Shocked and saddened that James Reynolds was snubbed. What a travesty!

*I don't think it's particularly telling that Days was snubbed in the writing category. It's typical for shows not to get a writing nomination when there is the such a drastic change in head writers. But then again, they *won* last year for 2011 when there was also a drastic change in head writers. Okay, so I just detonated my own argument. My conclusion? Days' writing needs work (look no further than the ruination of John/Marlena).

*Sorry that Kate Mansi didn't get a nod. I thought she was stellar in the first half of 2012 with her psycho-Abby routine. Those eyes!

*Chandler is a shoo-in if he submits the "coming out" episode with Marlena from early 2012.

*For Peggy McCay and Freddie Smith, the nominations *are* the award. Happy for them both, but don't see them having a chance to win, until I've seen their reels atleast. Although I have a nagging feeling that Peggy could pull off an upset...

*I really would like to see Ari win. I don't know if she deserves it more than the other contenders, and I'll be curious to see what the other reels look like, but I would be so stoked if she pulled it off.

*I hope Days wins for Directing if they submitted some of the explosion stuff, which I thought was fairly impressive.

soapfan01

What did Michelle and Bryton do to get noms?

Its a shame Sharon Case was not nominated, she was damn good and where is Peter Porte?

So happy for Arianne, Doug, Chandler, Katherine!

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Its true, if you're under 25 you can ONLY submit in the "Younger" categories. You do not get an option. JMB only switched to Supporting after she was over the age limit. She dominated Younger her last few years.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

T-Love74
May 3 2013, 09:53 AM
And I stand by my original statement, actors 25 and under can only submit themselves in the Younger category says the Emmy rulebook.
And your original statement is totally FALSE and unsubstantiated. The rule states that in order to be eligible for Younger Actor or Younger Actress, the material which you submit must be stuff you did when you were 25 or younger. So there is certainly an age cap on those categories.

HOWEVER, there is NO age barriers placed on the Supporting or Lead categories, so if that's where you want to submit yourself, you certainly can do that.

The only reason that there is an age cap on the Younger categories is people threw a hissy fit when Andrea Evans was nominated for Outstanding Ingenue when she was in her late 20s.

But there is no such rule that forces younger performers to submit in the "Younger" categories. It simply doesn't exist. They only put themselves there because it's FAR less competitive and their chances at snagging a nomination are substantially greater.
Edited by juniorz1, May 3 2013, 09:02 PM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

soapfan01
May 3 2013, 06:28 PM
Its a shame Sharon Case was not nominated, she was damn good and where is Peter Porte?
SO much WORD to this. Glad that I'm not the only one who thought Peter Porte was FANTASTIC and more than worthy of a nomination.

As for Sharon Case, I've come to accept that any time she gives the most outstanding performance by a leading actress on Y&R, she will be snubbed in favor of "The Stafford." She's the new MTS.

OliveAnn

To settle this matter once and for all: page 5, right at the top.
http://www.daytimeemmys.tv/oda/servlet/fileOpenStatus?file=2012%20Rules%20and%20Procedures__0.5341665351582674.pdf&fileOpenType=view

While there is no age cap on Lead and Supporting categories, the wording implies that so long as you're under 25, you submit in the Younger Acting categories.

The only time where you can choose your category is when you turn 26 half-way through the year (which happens to everyone, except people born on January 1st). But, if you go Younger, you can only submit material up to your birthday.

And to correct junior1's statement: Julie Marie Berman never submitted in Supporting Actress category while she was still eligible for Younger Actress. She won her 2nd Emmy in 2010 for the work she did prior to her 26th birthday in 2009 and when she won, she was only 3 months away from turning 27. She even commented in the press room that she wouldn't be able to continue the trend of 3 back-to-back winners (like Jennifer Landon and Jennifer Finnigan) because she was too old.

Edited by OliveAnn, May 4 2013, 01:32 AM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

OliveAnn
May 4 2013, 01:30 AM
To settle this matter once and for all: page 5, right at the top.
http://www.daytimeemmys.tv/oda/servlet/fileOpenStatus?file=2012%20Rules%20and%20Procedures__0.5341665351582674.pdf&fileOpenType=view

While there is no age cap on Lead and Supporting categories, the wording implies that so long as you're under 25, you submit in the Younger Acting categories.

The only time where you can choose your category is when you turn 26 half-way through the year (which happens to everyone, except people born on January 1st). But, if you go Younger, you can only submit material up to your birthday.

Nothing in the wording even implies that. All that it says is that the material for which you submit must have occurred while you were 25 and under and you or your show must provide proof of your age. That's it. There's NOTHING in there that says you HAVE to submit in Younger if you fall within that age category, nor anything that implies it.

I was wrong about Julie Berman, that I admit. But I'm not wrong about there being NO rule that tells any actor where they HAVE to submit their name.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply