Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40th Annual Daytime Emmy Nominations
Topic Started: May 1 2013, 08:26 AM (7,728 Views)
T-Love74
Member Avatar

juniorz1
May 4 2013, 06:34 AM
OliveAnn
May 4 2013, 01:30 AM
To settle this matter once and for all: page 5, right at the top.
http://www.daytimeemmys.tv/oda/servlet/fileOpenStatus?file=2012%20Rules%20and%20Procedures__0.5341665351582674.pdf&fileOpenType=view

While there is no age cap on Lead and Supporting categories, the wording implies that so long as you're under 25, you submit in the Younger Acting categories.

The only time where you can choose your category is when you turn 26 half-way through the year (which happens to everyone, except people born on January 1st). But, if you go Younger, you can only submit material up to your birthday.

Nothing in the wording even implies that. All that it says is that the material for which you submit must have occurred while you were 25 and under and you or your show must provide proof of your age. That's it. There's NOTHING in there that says you HAVE to submit in Younger if you fall within that age category, nor anything that implies it.

I was wrong about Julie Berman, that I admit. But I'm not wrong about there being NO rule that tells any actor where they HAVE to submit their name.
Common sense is common sense. If you dont meet the eligibility requirements, u simply CANNOT compete in the Lead/Supporting categories. And your comment about Bryton McClure was absolutely ridiculous, btw.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Although it would seem right as rain for Susan Flannery to win Lead Actress this year, I don't think it's particularly set in stone. Were I to be a betting man, I don't think I would put all my chips in her favor.

Every once in a while, the Emmy panel likes to just shock the heck out of us. Last year was a prime example when shoe-in-to-win-this-award Debbi Morgan lost to Heather Tom. Morgan's Angie character, in 2011, lost her vision, had her baby, re-gained her vision and then discovered her child had died. Plus, the panel seems to be crushing on Tom right now and it wouldn't surprise me one bit were she to pick up her fifth trophy. Plus, they are big on awarding some actors in successive years (think Jerry verDorn, Kevin Mambo, Erika Slezak, etc.).

Days of Our Lives better enjoy their record nominations victory while it lasts because it will more than likely go down hill from here now that All My Children and One Life to Live will be getting back into the Emmy race in 2014.

T-Love74
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
May 4 2013, 07:22 PM
Although it would seem right as rain for Susan Flannery to win Lead Actress this year, I don't think it's particularly set in stone. Were I to be a betting man, I don't think I would put all my chips in her favor.

Every once in a while, the Emmy panel likes to just shock the heck out of us. Last year was a prime example when shoe-in-to-win-this-award Debbi Morgan lost to Heather Tom. Morgan's Angie character, in 2011, lost her vision, had her baby, re-gained her vision and then discovered her child had died. Plus, the panel seems to be crushing on Tom right now and it wouldn't surprise me one bit were she to pick up her fifth trophy. Plus, they are big on awarding some actors in successive years (think Jerry verDorn, Kevin Mambo, Erika Slezak, etc.).

Days of Our Lives better enjoy their record nominations victory while it lasts because it will more than likely go down hill from here now that All My Children and One Life to Live will be getting back into the Emmy race in 2014.
i wouldn't bet on that. All it takes is one or two episodes and you're set. Fans/soap press were raving about DAYS episodes surrounding Nick/Gabi's wedding. If they submit those shows for next year, they got it.

OliveAnn

T-Love74
May 4 2013, 04:47 PM
juniorz1
May 4 2013, 06:34 AM
OliveAnn
May 4 2013, 01:30 AM
To settle this matter once and for all: page 5, right at the top.
http://www.daytimeemmys.tv/oda/servlet/fileOpenStatus?file=2012%20Rules%20and%20Procedures__0.5341665351582674.pdf&fileOpenType=view

While there is no age cap on Lead and Supporting categories, the wording implies that so long as you're under 25, you submit in the Younger Acting categories.

The only time where you can choose your category is when you turn 26 half-way through the year (which happens to everyone, except people born on January 1st). But, if you go Younger, you can only submit material up to your birthday.

Nothing in the wording even implies that. All that it says is that the material for which you submit must have occurred while you were 25 and under and you or your show must provide proof of your age. That's it. There's NOTHING in there that says you HAVE to submit in Younger if you fall within that age category, nor anything that implies it.

I was wrong about Julie Berman, that I admit. But I'm not wrong about there being NO rule that tells any actor where they HAVE to submit their name.
Common sense is common sense. If you dont meet the eligibility requirements, u simply CANNOT compete in the Lead/Supporting categories. And your comment about Bryton McClure was absolutely ridiculous, btw.
Let's just drop this argument, shall we? I mean, if you look at things objectively, you see that Younger Actresses would never submit themselves in Supporting and Lead categories even if they could because they do not stand a snowball's chance in hell there. A Judi Evans scenario occurrs once in a lifetime. Otherwise, a 20-year-old newcomer could never win against an actress 30 years older than her who portrays her mother or even grandmother. That's why the Younger Acting categories were set up; to give "soap kids" recognition they couldn't get if competing in other categories.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

T-Love74
May 4 2013, 04:47 PM
Let's be clear- the ONLY categories that have eligibility requirements are the Younger categories. There are no age limits set for the Lead or Supporting categories. Henceforth, a person of any age could reasonably submit their name in those categories. The only thing that you're proving is that, if you're 26 or older, you can't compete in the Younger categories, which nobody is arguing.

Common sense is common sense, after all.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

T-Love74
May 4 2013, 07:34 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

i wouldn't bet on that. All it takes is one or two episodes and you're set. Fans/soap press were raving about DAYS episodes surrounding Nick/Gabi's wedding. If they submit those shows for next year, they got it.
Who knows? Maybe. Maybe not. One thing, though, that is certain, though is that over the past seven years, as the playing field has dwindled from nine soap operas on the air (2007) to the present state of four, Days of Our Lives' nomination tally has in fact gone up.

But in the four acting categories (Outstanding Younger Actress, Younger Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Lead Actress and Lead Actor), the growth spurt hasn't really been that significant. Here's a look back at Days' nominations in those pivotal categories since 2007, along side is the number of soaps eligible for Emmys in those respective years:

2013: 4 noms (4 soaps)
2012: 5 noms (6 soaps)

2011: 2 noms (7 soaps)
2010: 3 noms (8 soaps)
2009: 3 noms (9 soaps)
2008: 3 noms (9 soaps)
2007: 0 noms (9 soaps)

Through most of the 1990's, specifically 1990-95, Days averaged 0 to 1 nominees in the big six acting categories each year. This is, of course, when the playing field was much more bloated.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Wow. Beyond Jason Thomson and Ari Zucker getting nominated, this list is a bit of a let down---those 2 are the only ones I am really rooting for. I am really let down that Finola Hughes didn't get a nomination---she has been a brilliant, wonderful re-addition to the GH canvas and I was so pulling for her. Is it just me or did last year's list of nominees pack more of a punch?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Drama: General Hospital
Lead Actress: Susan Flannery
Lead Actor: Jason Thompson
Supporting Actress: Katherine Kelly Lang
Supporting Actor: Billy Miller
Younger Actress: Jacqueline MacInnes Wood
Younger Actor: Chandler Massey
Writing Team: General Hospital
Directing Team: General Hospital

T-Love74
Member Avatar

Renegade_Killerbee
May 5 2013, 08:43 AM
T-Love74
May 4 2013, 07:34 PM
Renegade_Killerbee

Who knows? Maybe. Maybe not. One thing, though, that is certain, though is that over the past seven years, as the playing field has dwindled from nine soap operas on the air (2007) to the present state of four, Days of Our Lives' nomination tally has in fact gone up.

But in the four acting categories (Outstanding Younger Actress, Younger Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Lead Actress and Lead Actor), the growth spurt hasn't really been that significant. Here's a look back at Days' nominations in those pivotal categories since 2007, along side is the number of soaps eligible for Emmys in those respective years:

2013: 4 noms (4 soaps)
2012: 5 noms (6 soaps)

2011: 2 noms (7 soaps)
2010: 3 noms (8 soaps)
2009: 3 noms (9 soaps)
2008: 3 noms (9 soaps)
2007: 0 noms (9 soaps)

Through most of the 1990's, specifically 1990-95, Days averaged 0 to 1 nominees in the big six acting categories each year. This is, of course, when the playing field was much more bloated.

I get what you're saying, but that list is wrong. DAYS had 5 acting noms in both '09 and '10 and 4 noms in '08. And really, AMC and OLTL being back don't mean jack. GL and ATWT were the main shows hogging all the noms as well as Y&R.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
May 5 2013, 02:23 PM
Drama: General Hospital
Lead Actress: Susan Flannery
Lead Actor: Jason Thompson
Supporting Actress: Katherine Kelly Lang
Younger Actress: Jacqueline MacInnes Wood
Writing Team: General Hospital
Directing Team: General Hospital
This would be my exact list too. Jason Thompson was so good this year and I really hope he gets the nod.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T-Love74
Member Avatar

MY PREDICTIONS:

Supporting Actress: Arianne Zuker
Younger Actress: WHO CARES
Directing: DAYS
Writing: GH
Lead Actor: Doug Davidson
Lead Actress: Susan Flannery.....hopefully Peggy McCay will pull an upset.
Drama Series: DAYS

Hugo
Member Avatar

I think those actors will win :
Lead : Heather Tom & Doug Davidson
Supporting : Katherine Kelly Lang & Bradford Anderson
Younger : Jacqueline MacInnes Wood & Chandler Massey

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Renegade_Killerbee

LOL - I don't think so.

OLTL/AMC are the biggest jokes in the industry...and that is if they even last.

The 4 soaps ON TV will dominate the awards again next year.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I've been going over the reels on HLN's site. This is my second time watching them and I just wanted to see if my feelings changed. Not really, but I'm so disappointed that Ari Zucker changed her reel from the pre-nom round. That reel was SO much better. She probably has the 3rd or 4th best reel in that category now. Her other reel was easily 1 or 2.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I disagree about AZ. I think she had way more beats to play in her nomination reel than the prenom one.

blueskies
Member Avatar

i just watched a few of the reels, and admittedly i have no clue who Brooke and Stephanie are so that could color my judgement, but while I do think Katherine Kelly Lang will win supporting actress, I didn't see anything particularly amazing about Susan Flannery's performance. Admittedly I don't believe Peggy should be in lead actress while Arianne is supporting, however Peggy's reel is pretty strong so I think she has a good chance.

(edit, fixed names).
Edited by blueskies, Jun 12 2013, 12:28 AM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

just watched Chandler's, yeah he def has this one in the bag this year.

T-Love74
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jun 12 2013, 12:27 AM
i just watched a few of the reels, and admittedly i have no clue who Brooke and Stephanie are so that could color my judgement, but while I do think Katherine Kelly Lang will win supporting actress, I didn't see anything particularly amazing about Susan Flannery's performance. Admittedly I don't believe Peggy should be in lead actress while Arianne is supporting, however Peggy's reel is pretty strong so I think she has a good chance.

(edit, fixed names).
THIS!! I strongly feel that Peggy McCay will pull an upset. I've got my fingers crossed for that.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

T-Love74
Jun 12 2013, 11:21 AM
blueskies
Jun 12 2013, 12:27 AM

(edit, fixed names).
THIS!! I strongly feel that Peggy McCay will pull an upset. I've got my fingers crossed for that.
Watching the reels and Peggy McCay is KILLER. The only thing is good luck beating out 1) Susan Flannery's swan song as the most iconic character in the history of B&B. 2) Michelle Stafford and her damn Y&R voting buddies. and 3) Heather Tom is hot right now. She wins every time she's up for an award. Voters LOVE her.

I also know that Michael Muhney voted in this category and he said that people shouldn't have submitted as Leads unless they drive story, even when they aren't on the show. That probably leaves Peggy in 4th place on his ballot. Unfortunately.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Jun 11 2013, 07:55 PM
I disagree about AZ. I think she had way more beats to play in her nomination reel than the prenom one.
Putting all of my fandom aside, because I LOVE AZ and will be cheering for her when the time comes...I'm still ranking her 3rd or 4th out of the 5 reels. Only Jessica Collins is clearly below her. AZ and MCE are a toss up. KKL and JMB are the two I would say are battling for it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply