Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chandler Massey interview on Emmy Nom
Topic Started: May 1 2013, 02:53 PM (1,982 Views)
WillFan
Member Avatar

http://greginhollywood.com/chandler-massey-talks-to-greg-in-hollywood-about-receiving-his-third-emmy-nomination-for-days-84347
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Quote:

“My favorite scenes are definitely ahead – the stuff that hasn’t aired yet,” Chandler says. “Will and Gabi will find themselves in an almost sitcom type relationship and it makes for interesting, funny and heartfelt scenes – really good stuff.”

This sounds interesting. Is this gonna be like if "Will and Grace" actually went through and had that baby?

ETA: I would actually laugh my ass off if Gabi (after finally kicking Nick to the curb of course) ends up moving in with Sonny and Will.
Edited by Pookie, May 1 2013, 03:23 PM.

Will&Sonny

This doesn't really warrant its own thread, but it's still pretty cool that he gained the attention of a "mainstream" magazine, so I figured that I'd link it here for anyone who might have missed it.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20696426,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

Quote:

In 2012, Chandler Massey made history when he became the first actor to win a Daytime Emmy for portraying a gay character in the outstanding young actor category.

On Wednesday, he was nominated again.

"It feels great," Massey, 22, tells PEOPLE. "It's a huge honor and I'd love to have another piece of hardware but we'll see what happens in June."

Massey, who plays Will Horton on the soap – which was nominated for 17 awards – says his character's life has gotten complicated of late. "He came out of the closet and is now in a relationship with another guy," he says, "but he just found out his ex-girlfriend is pregnant and now he has a baby on the way!"

The crazier, the better, it seems. "To show a guy going from a kid filled with self-doubt and self-loathing and being afraid to verbalize why, to him becoming a confident young man who embraces himself and is finding love with another man, it's been an actor's dream," he says.

And he has no fear of being typecast, adding that "there was such an outpouring of support, fan mail and tweets, saying 'this story hits so close to home, please do it justice,' so if I was afraid of anything, it was to get it right, not that I was playing a gay man."

At this year's Emmys on June 18, Massey hopes to be in the moment – at least more so than least year.

"When they called my name last year, I was crazy nervous and didn't hear it because my heart was beating so fast," says Massey. "My dad leaned over, I could feel him pounding me on the chest, saying 'Go, go go.' This year, I won't be as nervous!"
Edited by Will&Sonny, May 1 2013, 09:45 PM.

Graceland
Member Avatar

Pookie
May 1 2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:

“My favorite scenes are definitely ahead – the stuff that hasn’t aired yet,” Chandler says. “Will and Gabi will find themselves in an almost sitcom type relationship and it makes for interesting, funny and heartfelt scenes – really good stuff.”

This sounds interesting. Is this gonna be like if "Will and Grace" actually went through and had that baby?

ETA: I would actually laugh my ass off if Gabi (after finally kicking Nick to the curb of course) ends up moving in with Sonny and Will.
That's bit too "The New Normal" for me, but hey, if Nick's gone, I'll take it! ^_^

Ireland98

Another interview:
http://www.thebacklot.com/chandler-massey-interview-daytime-emmy-nomination/05/2013/

Chandler Massey won the Daytime Emmy Outstanding Younger Actor award last year for his work as Will Horton on Days of Our Lives. He's up for the exact same award this year, but he has some stiff competition. He'll go head-to-head against co-star Freddie Smith, who plays his lover, Sonny Kiriakis. (Other actor nominees from Days include Peggy McKay (Caroline), Arianne Zucker (Nicole) and the show was again nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.)
We caught up with Massey to get his reaction to this morning's nomination announcement.

TheBacklot: What a way to wake up and find out you have another Emmy nomination, right?

Chandler Massey: It's not bad, huh?

TBL: You've gone through this several times now. Is it something you still get nervous about knowing the nominations are coming?

CM: The first year I got the nomination I had no idea they were even being announced. Last year I was definitely nervous, but this year I was able to sleep soundly. I went to bed at 11 and woke up at 10:30!

TBL: How does it work? Do you personally put episodes or scenes together?
CM: I do. I choose an episode and then submit as many scenes from that episode as I want.

TBL: Which episode did you choose?

CM: It aired back in February (2012) when Will had his first kiss with a guy, his name was Neil (Jesse Kristofferson) and then he got caught and he was super embarrassed so he went to over to Grandma's house so she could make everything better and they end up having a talk. It's the first time he makes reference to the fact that he actually says that he thinks he might be gay. I really enjoyed that episode and, more importantly, my Mom really enjoyed that episode!

TBL: I have to say I love that Will's storyline is less about the fact that he's gay now and just the usual soap opera storylines.

CM: You gotta love the soap opera storylines! [laughs] And I totally agree. I think it's given Will such a rare opportunity in this medium to evolve and grow and change from a young, wet-behind-the-ears kid who felt he was different in some way and now he's totally out and comfortable with that and he's found an amazing guy to be with. It's been such a gift to be able to play that from the beginning to end and everything in between.

TBL: Freddie told me at the GLAAD Media Awards in LA recently how easy and natural it has been to work with you as the Will-Sonny story has unfolded. How has it been for you?

CM: Honestly, the word natural describes it pretty well. I love working with Freddie and we're both so comfortable with each other and trust each other so we know that when we come to set we both will have a bunch of ideas about the scenes we want to do and the one thing we both want is to make the scene as good as it can possibly be. So we're both working in tandem to that end and I think that level of trust that we have has really allowed us to be free and just discover whatever happens on stage. I love it and I feel so lucky to have Freddie on the show with me.

TBL: I haven't seen as many of those great scenes with Deidre lately. Will we be seeing more of those? I know Will is going through different things now but...

CM: Unfortunately, not as much as I would like. I love working with Deidre and I think it's kind of difficult because we've got Will at a place where he doesn't need as much therapy, in a way, but I do hope that they do go back to that if it's appropriate. I absolutely love working with her.

TBL: When you hear from fans, has it changed over the year?

CM: You're right. It has changed. I read the fan's mail and their tweets, I hope to read all of those. It's weird, when the storyline first came out, everyone was writing and almost everyone was supportive of the story and to make sure that we do it right and not mess it up and so it was that and it was all about Will coming out. Now, it's kind of evolved to where it's more story-related and what's going on with Nick and it shows that Will being gay is not this huge story anymore and I think that's great. I think it's really great that the show did that because Will's sexuality is just a small part of who he is.

TBL: What is coming up in the next few weeks?

CM: As far as Sonny and Will go, I get the power couple thing between them and they have the healthiest relationship on the show, believe it or not. But life throws all these things at them and basically the only way Will can get through it is by leaning on Sonny so they'll be staying together and only grow deeper in love.

TBL: What is the biggest thing that Will is working against coming up?

CM: Something new is coming up based around Sami, and it gets everybody all upset. I don't know that if I can say anything else beyond that.

TBL: Congrats again on the Emmy nomination!!

CM: Thank you very much!

WillFan
Member Avatar

Not sure where to put this so I put it in this thread.

Chandler Massey's Will Horton is character of the month for May 2013.
http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/photos/days-2013-calendar/12385/#item=287852
Go to the link to download and save to your desktop!

King
Member Avatar

I am really happy for him. He and Eileen make the show for me. I haven't been this into one of the actors on DAYS in years. He's great to watch.

WillFan
Member Avatar

Chandler Massey and Freddie Smith spoke to Gay Stars News
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/actors-who-play-gay-couple-days-our-lives-both-nominated-emmy-awards010513

jb1183

Ireland98
May 2 2013, 12:47 AM
TBL: I haven't seen as many of those great scenes with Deidre lately. Will we be seeing more of those? I know Will is going through different things now but...

CM: Unfortunately, not as much as I would like. I love working with Deidre and I think it's kind of difficult because we've got Will at a place where he doesn't need as much therapy, in a way, but I do hope that they do go back to that if it's appropriate. I absolutely love working with her.

Marlena's complete absence from Will's baby drama has been glaring lately. Does she know anything about him signing away parental rights? She's barely been on lately and when she is it's just so she can be berated by John. Really baffling choice not to have her involved, given the universal acclaim of her and Will's scenes together last year. And I think it's just Chandler's way of diplomatically trying to make sense of the poor choice, but Will certainly doesn't need to be going to "therapy" to have scenes with his grandmother.

And Chandler's submission choice is going to get him a second consecutive win. No one else in his category has anything nearly as good as those scenes.

Will&Sonny

As far as I'm concerned, Chandler was already a shoe-in for the award this year before the nominations were even announced. No other soap has an actor in the under-twenty-five category who is even close to competing with him.

That said, I'd love to see a tie with Freddie Smith just because...but it won't happen unless the majority of the voters simply agree with my opinion that it would be cool to see both of the actors in the storyline receive awards (in which case it won't be about the acting as much as it will be about the statement, and, hypothetical fantasy scenarios aside, I'm not sure that I want to see that happen). As much as I love Freddie, Chandler is clearly the more deserving actor (this year, at least), so the award should go to him alone.
Edited by Will&Sonny, May 2 2013, 04:43 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Because of the eppi Chandler chose I bet he wins, but overall I personally think Freddie is the better actor. Honestly he just really feels real in every scene. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I hope it does :) plus I admit Chandler's endless smirking in serious scenes is starting to bother me.

michr544125

I am not saying Chandler wasn't good in this reel. But I think that Chandler should have picked the episode when Will came out to Lucas and Sami instead. I thought Chandler was really incredible in that episode. That jut felt so much more real to me. I really felt Will there. I know that he is going to win just based on subject matter and the fact the played the role of a character coming out. But if I compare this reel to a couple of episodes that I think Freddie had to chose from (as I don't see how he could have had more than 3 episodes to choose from) I think Freddie stands pretty even to Chandler.
Edited by michr544125, May 2 2013, 10:00 PM.

Will&Sonny

Since it's kind of relevant, and some people might not read the weekly tweet threads...

Quote:

@freddiemsmith
For those you asked what clip I submitted, I submitted the ep, where Lucas and Sonny are talking in the square and Sonny admits he has feelings for Will. It aired 6-26-12!

jb1183

Will&Sonny
May 3 2013, 01:41 AM
Since it's kind of relevant, and some people might not read the weekly tweet threads...

Quote:

@freddiemsmith
For those you asked what clip I submitted, I submitted the ep, where Lucas and Sonny are talking in the square and Sonny admits he has feelings for Will. It aired 6-26-12!
Thanks for posting that here! It is relevant to the discussion. I'm not sure why Freddie submitted that one. He definitely had better material later in the year. His 2013 material, though, has been much better than anything he had in 2012, so he could really be a contender next year.

I called Chandler's submission the day it aired. As far as I'm concerned, it's the very best he could have chosen and is even better than his winning submission from 2011. I think he's got a repeat win all locked up.

michr544125

jb1183
May 3 2013, 02:46 AM
Will&Sonny
May 3 2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:

@freddiemsmith
Thanks for posting that here! It is relevant to the discussion. I'm not sure why Freddie submitted that one. He definitely had better material later in the year. His 2013 material, though, has been much better than anything he had in 2012, so he could really be a contender next year.

I called Chandler's submission the day it aired. As far as I'm concerned, it's the very best he could have chosen and is even better than his winning submission from 2011. I think he's got a repeat win all locked up.
I don't get why he picked that episode either :'( . That was not his strongest material. I don't get why he didn't pick either the episode where Sonny had it out with Lucas after he interrupted him and Sonny from having sex or the episode when Sonny had an argument with Will after Will pushed him after because of the kiss. Freddie slayed it in those episodes and one upped Chandler which would have helped also the way I see it. Maybe there is something that goes on with the thinking that I don't get as to why actors pick the reels they do.

Now I truly believe this show made a huge mistake not submitting something revolving the gay story for best show and writing. I shook my head on that one and now shaking it even more. They would have won by a landslide.
Edited by michr544125, May 3 2013, 06:00 AM.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

until what date of episodes actors can sumbit any how?

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Partnersincrime
May 3 2013, 08:24 AM
until what date of episodes actors can sumbit any how?
I believe any episode that aired during the 2012 calendar year is eligible to be submitted.

jam6242
Member Avatar

M: Something new is coming up based around Sami, and it gets everybody all upset. I don't know that if I can say anything else beyond that.

Of course it is. :(

lysie
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 3 2013, 05:38 PM

M: Something new is coming up based around Sami, and it gets everybody all upset. I don't know that if I can say anything else beyond that.

Of course it is. :(

Seriously. Because focusing on Sami has done so much good for this show.

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

blueskies
May 2 2013, 09:17 PM
Because of the eppi Chandler chose I bet he wins, but overall I personally think Freddie is the better actor. Honestly he just really feels real in every scene. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I hope it does :) plus I admit Chandler's endless smirking in serious scenes is starting to bother me.
I agree with you about Freddie.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply