Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting article about the new AMC & OLTL; Quote by Greg Meng from Days
Topic Started: May 2 2013, 11:34 AM (805 Views)
titan1978
Member Avatar

http://www.policymic.com/articles/39099/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-return-2-years-after-cancellation-online

Greg Meng quote-

According to Greg Meng, one of the executive producers for Days of Our Lives (which is produced by Sony Pictures Television), while network insiders had nothing but the best wishes for this project, they were confident that "these shows won't be competitive with us."

I have watched a lot more of Days in my nearly 30 years of soap viewing than I have of either OLTL and AMC, so this is not coming from a my show is better than your show place. But he is wrong. They are already more lush than his show looks. They also have a supportive parent company that wants them to succeed and both pilot episodes gave a pretty good and distinct vibe to both shows. I'm not saying they are perfect or that they are not going to have some problems, but they should be making every network soap nervous.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Hmm. When I was on iTunes last night it looked like AMC and OLTL were ranked as the #2 and #3 shows, right behind Dexter. That hints at some kind of success, imho, which could ultimately impact the other soaps and push them into this new distribution method.

And people will obviously compare them to the network soaps because they're still the same basic product.

But...does that constitute competition? I'm overthinking it because I'm bored at work, but what actually is competition in this context? They don't air at the same time so they aren't competing for audience that way. So maybe he's got a point.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I don't see how they are competition, necessarily. I mean OLTL and AMC are view-able anytime, night or day. It wouldn't make DAYS loose any viewers... unless the people watching OLTL and AMC quit watching DAYS all together.

titan1978
Member Avatar

I guess I see it as competition because people who are not satisfied with his show now have a soap with history and yet at the same time a fresh start to view and a chance to be hooked on a platform that will have less expectations than the network. So they can take some chances and can tweak things faster than Days can. The other soaps can adapt faster but not Days because of the taping schedule.

I kind of take his comment like he thinks these shows were going to be like other online only soaps, and it is clear they are striving to be at least as viable as they were when last aired on ABC.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

He's right. They aren't competition at all. But I do compare the shows and OLTL and AMC look infinitely better than DAYS. Really B&B is the only show that can compete with them as far as looks go. But the part where the do effect DAYS is that I have found myself unable to watch DAYS since these shows debuted. They are just on a different level, as far as I'm concerned. And I have been absolutely LOVING GH for months and I still feel like its dull compared to the returning shows. Maybe next week I will feel different. They're such a breath of fresh air right now, its definitely making me feel a little less for the tv shows.

Drew
Member Avatar

They are still competition in a way. People who DVR their shows (which has to be many or most at this point) probably don't have unlimited time to watch every soap on the planet when they get home from work(or whatever) So they have more of a choice to continue watching Days, or watching one of these.

pbunting

AMC and OLTL are certainly competition to DOOL, GH, BB and YR. Remember, you can also watch DOOL, GH, BB and YR on Hulu. As soap viewers get used to watching AMC/OLTL on Hulu, they can easily get used to watching their TV soaps there as well and not have to be in front of a TV at a specific time. Online/Anytime viewing is so much more convenient. There will be less need to catch soaps on TV, when you can get all soaps in one place online at anytime. Not competition? My eye. The success of AMC and OLTL online will only hasten the end of TV daytime soaps.

Cathalina

I think Meng should be a little more worried than he is. For the timeslot, these online soaps are NOT a threat per se because if someone wants to watch both they clearly can. Yet, for people like me who have a limited amount of free time to watch shows, there is a bit of a clash. I watched AMC this week and my DVRed Days by and large are untouched. Hey, I need my time...to post on Message Boards ;)

nightfan

Does anyone here watch AMC and OLTL on HULU basic, but piped through their HDTV? (It's awesome. Just like TV, because it is TV). In that sense, it's definitely competing with Days and other soaps. They're all on TV.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply