Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday, May 6th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: May 6 2013, 06:09 AM (9,919 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Discuss!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

ah, Doug & Addie. Considering that Patricia Barry is still around, I always thought it would be cool to have Addie make a ghostly appearance to either Doug, Julie, or Hope at some point just for shits & giggles.

Marlene

Great idea, Matt, but that would mean they'd have to write a story for Doug, Julie AND Hope!!!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Marlene
May 6 2013, 08:10 AM
Great idea, Matt, but that would mean they'd have to write a story for Doug, Julie AND Hope!!!
Of course. Damn. What the hell was I thinking?

Safensane

Wow! Great picture, Lysie....... geesh, I remember watching that....barely! Guess the older woman, younger man storyline still grabs attention ... back then we didn't have all the exposure & gymnastics we get now though! :blush:

WillFan
Member Avatar

Today in 1994 Kristian Alfonso returned to DAYS after a four year absence.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

WillFan
May 6 2013, 09:18 AM
Today in 1994 Kristian Alfonso returned to DAYS after a four year absence.
which definition of "returned" are you using - first episode shot or first episode aired (but not when we first saw her face)?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, to be honest, Doug wasn't THAT much younger than Addie. Bill Hayes is about 18 years older than Susan and only about 3 1/2 years younger than Patricia Barry.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I thought Bill Hayes was handsome back in the day but he's a classic example of a man who only became more attractive as he aged. And there is absolutely no way he looks anywhere close to being 18 years older than SSH. (And I think she looks great, too!)

lysie
Member Avatar

So are we just not going to talk about his nipples?

six
Member Avatar

They wanted a more prominent role, apparently.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

I don't think anyone would object to having more Doug & Julie on the show. Even with what's airing now, it would've been nice to see Hope confide in Doug about Ciara & her outburst, and missing Bo, of course. Then you could have Julie sticking her nose in Jen & Abby's business, or Nick/Will's business. There are definitely moments where it would make sense to have Doug or Julie around. And if/when TPTB finally tackle this non-Bo whatever nonsense, Doug & Julie better be there, cause there's no way they wouldn't cut a cruise short & catch the first flight back to Salem to be by Hope's side, regardless of what the situation was - dead, missing, divorce (though i'm not sure they're technically married either, and this one would be the most eye-rolling of any option, considering the "i'll support whatever you do" stance Hope had when Bo quit the force).

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
May 6 2013, 09:51 AM
I'm a James Scott/EJ fan - apparently I've become de-sensitized.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

lysie
May 6 2013, 09:51 AM
Don't talk about them! They're watching us!

Posted Image

jam6242
Member Avatar

When I was watching the Doug/Julie/Addie story I thought Addie was MUCH older than Doug. Bill just seemed younger than his real age (and still does). It wasn't until many years later that I learned there's only a 4-5 years age difference between Bill and Patricia Barry. And I was repulsed (keep in mind I was a young teen) when they had Julie married to Bob Anderson. He seemed ancient. I was happy that he was impotent for a long time with her, lol. Yet, I found out later the actor who played Bob, Mark Tapscott, was only six months older than Bill.

And Addie's ghost did appear to Doug once but that was way back in 1976 when he was getting ready to re-marry his first wife, Kim, and Julie was going to marry Don Craig. I agree it would have been nice to see her appear again, to Hope especially because she never got to know her.
Edited by jam6242, May 6 2013, 10:46 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

To be honest, I don't think Bill was playing his age. I think the character as original conceived (and written) was meant to be early/mid 30s while Julie was being written as approximately 20something at the time. Of course, that said, old man/younger woman was a pretty standard pairing back in the day. I would even venture to say that a large number of couples had that same structure. I know Mickey was several years older than Maggie. That's one of the reasons I chuckle when people start bitching that an early 20something female is paired up with a 30 year old because of the "age difference". Really? smdh

jam6242
Member Avatar

Yes, in their book, Bill and Susan printed the summary that was written for his character before he was hired. I believe Brent (Doug) was supposed to be 34 and Bill was surprised he was hired. He said it came down to him and Jed Allan!
Edited by jam6242, May 6 2013, 10:58 AM.

JoeBucs32

Not having Doug and Julie more involved in the current storylines is really a disaster.

In the few episodes that Julie was on during Nick's parole hearing, she brought "sass" and "attitude" back to the show. Those were great appearances.

Why not use them more???

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

It's a little odd to think that the actress who played Tom & Alice Horton's eldest daughter is now 91.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

New day in Salem! And there's Daniel & Maxine....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply