Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor) Dead at 84
Topic Started: May 8 2013, 12:43 PM (3,748 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

Corbin Bernsen ‏@corbinbernsen 2m
Quote:

Mom passed this morning. She was in peace and without fear. U all have been incredible in your love. In her name share it 2 day with others.

https://twitter.com/corbinbernsen

Corbin Bernsen:

Wasn't sure how I would have to say these words so I opt for simplicity at least to begin...

My mother passed away this morning just a short time ago, peaceful with my sister by her side, in her sleep. I was going to visit this afternoon, thought I had time. Reminder to self - time is a precious thing. I too am at peace however. I said my goodbyes several times over during the last few weeks. I'll go one last time now for a gentle kiss a final farewell for this lifetime. She has been a blaze her entire life, that beacon, that boxer I spoke of earlier. She went the full twelve rounds and by unanimous decision... won! And while her light finally gave into the wind that gives flight to all our journeys, there will always be a glimmer left behind by what she stood for. I will speak about that more in coming days, months I suppose. I will certainly dedicate what remains of my life to continue her purpose of honesty, equality, humility, empathy and love. So many of you have said your prayers for her and right now, today, I can say the best way to honor her is to inhabit your lives with those things she stood for. I would ask that closer friends respectfully give us some time to find our family's path in this transition, and please limit calls, emails and the rest for a couple of days. As always, your outpouring of love here on this page, is not only welcomed to continue but truly appreciated and comforting. I asked my sister what time she passed exactly, and she told me (not to important for public record) but I was working out and just happened to pick out a song for my final moments on the treadmill - "Everlasting Light" by the Black Keys. Oh what a wonder it all is... what a magnificence!

https://www.facebook.com/corbinbernsen/posts/10151551911815914

Jeanne Cooper Dead at 84

Jeanne Cooper
Legendary actress Jeanne Cooper died on Wednesday morning following a second stay in the hospital in recent weeks. Her son, Corbin Bernsen, said she passed away "peaceful with my sister by her side, in her sleep." Cooper was 84.

For more than 39 years she played Katherine Chancellor on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

Born in Taft, Calif., in 1928, Cooper attended College of the Pacific before graduating from Pasadena Playhouse School.

Her professional career began with the film The Redhead from Wyoming with Maureen O'Hara in 1953, followed by The Man From Alamo with Glenn Ford, There Was a Crooked Man, The Boston Strangler with Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda and George Kennedy, Tony Rome with Frank Sinatra, The All-American Boy with Jon Voight, "The Glory Guys," House of Women with Constance Ford, Kansas City Bomber and Let No Man Write My Epitaph with Shelley Winters.

Cooper's career included television guest spots on THE TWILIGHT ZONE, PERRY MASON, L.A. LAW, MAVERICK, TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL, THE NANNY and BEN CASEY.

Her most notable stage credits include starring roles in "On the Town," "The Miracle Worker," "Plain and Fancy," and the touring production of "Plaza Suite." She also starred in "Love Letters" at the Canon Theatre in Beverly Hills.

In 1984 Cooper had a facelift and Y&R put it in the storyline showing footage from Cooper's actual surgery as Katherine had her facelift.

She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1993 and a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Daytime Emmys in 2004. She finally won the Daytime Emmy Award as Outstanding Lead Actress in 2008, and was nominated nine other times. She was also nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards during her career, one in 1961 for her work on BEN CASEY, and the other in 1987 for her recurring role on L.A. Law, playing the mother to her real-life son, Corbin Bernsen. Bernsen subsequently joined his mother on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, making several guest appearances as the priest Father Todd. Cooper won the First American in the Arts Award twice as a Lead Actress. In 2009 she was given the coveted AMEE Award from the AFTRA Foundation.

Cooper is survived by her three children; Corbin, Collin and Caren; and eight grandchildren.

WeLoveSoaps

Cooper's Last Episode Has Aired

While there is no official word from THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS on how the soap plans to address the passing of Jeanne Cooper (Katherine) on screen, the icon's final episode aired on May 3. According to Y&R writer Brent Boyd, Cooper's last scene was (fittingly) with Jess Walton, who plays Kay's frenemy and housemate, Jill.

"The last image of Jeanne Cooper on Y&R is of her ascending the stairs telling Jill, "I think I can manage. Good night." A fitting end," Boyd tweeted. In the episode, Kay had returned home to the Chancellor mansion after being discharged from the hospital, where she'd undergone surgery for a brain tumor.

http://cbs.soapsindepth.com/2013/05/coopers-last-episode-has-aired.html
Edited by Daytime, May 8 2013, 05:33 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Checkers
Member Avatar

RIP Jeanne Cooper.

darraholic
Member Avatar

RIP Jeanne Cooper. You will forever be a legend!

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Sad news. :( RIP - and prayers to her family.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

So sad. RIP Jeanne :'(

taylore
Member Avatar

May she rest in peace,such a sad news.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Sad news even if it isn't unexpected. I watched Y&R faithfully in the 70s and 80s and she was definitely a highlight of the show. My friends and I (even to this day) always called her character "Mrs. Chancellor" rather than Katherine or Kay, she was that formidable. Hope she and her family can finally have some peace.

RutherfordBHayes

Jeanne Cooper has been, very much, on my mind. Thinking about other soaps...when they've reached a milestone, they've also lost a member of their 'TV family.' Shortly after SFT celebrated its 20th anniversary, Melba Rae suddenly died. The year that GL celebrated its 20th TV anniversary, the show lost Ed Zimmerman (Dr. Joe Werner) and Theo Goetz (Papa Bauer). Shortly after 'The Edge of Night' won its Emmy in 1973, the show's last original cast member, Walter Greaza died. I went to his funeral. I was 17 at the time. Shortly after moving to ABC, Edge's Associate Writer Grace Garment went missing, and was later found dead (a suicide by drowning). ATWT - A week after the show's 20th anniversary, Santos Ortega(Pa Hughes) died. Shortly after the show's 30th anniversary, Don McLaughlin (Christopher Hughes) died. Shortly after ATWT's 50th anniversary, Ben Hendrickson (Hal Munson) committed suicide. And, as we all know, Helen Wagner died just a month before the final taping. 'Another World' lost Douglass Watson around the time of their 25th anniversary. 'All My Children' - Shortly before the show's 25th anniversary, Fran Heflin died. Ruth Warrick died the year AMC celebrated its 35th anniversary on the air. Just before their final air date, Mary Fickett, the original Ruth Martin, died. Darlene Conley, B&B's Sally Spectra, died shortly before the show's 20th anniversary. The year that Days of Our Lives celebrated its 30th year on the air, the show lost MacDonald Carey (Dr. Tom Horton). Shortly after the show celebrated its 45th anniversary, Frances Reid (Alice Horton) died. Shortly after the cancellation notice for OLTL came, its long-time director David Pressman died. Y&R has just celebrated its 40th anniversary...We've lost our divine Katherine Chancellor. R.I.P. Jeanne Cooper

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

I was not a Y&R viewer, but from what I have seen of her, she had remarkable screen presence, and she seems to have been a sassy broad in real life too. R.I.P. Jeanne.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm in shock. I knew she was sick, but I always figured she'd recover. Y&R has truly lost a piece of itself with Cooper's passing. Genoa City will never be the same without Katherine Chancellor.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

RIP Jeanne Cooper. A true legend! I always admired her passion for acting and her fiery personality. She will truly be missed. Thoughts and prayers to her family, friends, loved ones, and fans.

LovingDays

omg rip jeanne cooper we all love you :(

Checkers
Member Avatar

I remember watching Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating list a couple years back and they had Tyler Perry on. He talked about the proudest thing he's done is taking care of his mother. He said his Mom always talked about Mrs. Chancellor from Y&R. How she wanted to live like Mrs. Chancellor and that would make her the happiest.

Posted Image

somersetfan
Member Avatar

RIP JC. You will NEVER be forgotten :'(

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

RIP Dutchess. Thanks for being part of our lives for longer than many "real "friends and family. You'll sure be missed.

Thomson
Member Avatar

I don't know what to say. This is so incredibly sad. Rest in peace, Ms. Jeanne Cooper. You will be greatly missed !

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

RIP Jeanne Cooper... Always remembered- never forgotten.

The final scene she had with Jill when she went up the stairs, and they both said "good night"- was an amazingly emtional scene, and a fitting final scene IMO...

I haven't seen any more epis after that episode, so please forgive me, if she was featured in those...

:(

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I absolutely hate this. :( :( RIP Jeannie Cooper and Katherine Chancellor!! :(

metitle
Member Avatar

RIP Duchess. You will be missed everyday.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

RIP Jeannie Cooper. Katherine will be missed in Genoa City.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply