Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
‘Happy Endings’ Cancelled At ABC; Will USA Step In?
Topic Started: May 10 2013, 09:47 PM (445 Views)
downwhtone
Member Avatar

As expected, ABC has cancelled Happy Endings after three seasons. But not all is lost for the cult comedy. Sony TV, the leading studio behind the underrated comedy series, had reached out to a couple of networks, including USA, about the possibility of continuing the comedy there if ABC did not renew it. USA, which has been looking to break into the half-hour original series space, had expressed interest and has had discussions about picking up Happy Endings in case of a cancellation. No real conversations had been held, with the series now officially available, such are expected to begin.

If the financials can be worked out, a Happy Endings pickup would be fortuitous for USA, which has been actively developing half-hour comedies and has ordered several pilots but has yet to greenlight a half-hour series. USA had been looking to have an original comedy on tap for the fall premiere of its marquee off-network series Modern Family. Happy Endings would be a suitable companion for Modern Family as it already spent two seasons on ABC paired with the Emmy-winning family comedy. Happy Endings did well behind Modern Family, but its fortunes changed this past fall when it was moved to Tuesday to form a comedy block with Don’t Trust The B—- At Apt. 23 in a crowded comedy hour. Despite strong cult following and critical praise, Happy Endings struggled mightily on Tuesday and in its last Friday slot. ABC brass had been strongly supporting the show from Day 1, but they will likely won’t be able to keep the series on broadcast TV at these ratings levels.

Related: ABC Cancels "How To Live With Your Parents", "Body Of Proof", "Red Widow", "Malibu Country"

Deadline
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Your move, USA...

Although I hope Sony doesn't rule out the possibility of an online distributor. I just want to see this show continue. I don't care where.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I also care not where it airs, I'll just pledge my loyalty to that network.

USA works. Bravo could be good. The CW has nothing, really. NBC just killed all of its sitcoms except for one.

C'mon, TV Gods. You gave David Spade a sitcom that's heading into, what, year 7? Help us out here...

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Actually, CBS just cancelled that David Spade sitcom, too. lol

Oak Alley
Member Avatar
I'll always love you. Always

Oh I hope it gets picked up by another channel! I simply love it.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Not unexpected because of their piss poor scheduling of it. I hope USA picks it up.

Sony doesn't seem to give up so I have some hope.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Matt
May 11 2013, 12:01 AM
Actually, CBS just cancelled that David Spade sitcom, too. lol
That makes this news more palatable...I suppose.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fucking ABC!

King
Member Avatar

Thought I commented on this already. So sad, but not surprised at all

Thomson
Member Avatar

This sucks. I’m hoping so much that USA picks up Happy Endings. That show is too good to end now.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This article suggests that USA is a no-go.

http://news.yahoo.com/no-happy-endings-happy-endings-135111966.html

Screw that. Also, screw the Yahoo commenters suggesting it was a "Friends" rip-off. "Friends" was a soap opera with comedic elements, Happy Endings was a sitcom. Different animals, imho.

Mason
Member Avatar

Friends rip-off or not, Happy Endings was infinitely better, either way.

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

I wonder who will pick it up.

Mason
Member Avatar

I doubt anyone will. I'm sure its horrible Friday night ratings scared off any networks that might have at one time been interested in it. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case with USA.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply