Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promo for the week of May 13th
Topic Started: May 11 2013, 02:46 AM (3,612 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

S loves EJ
May 13 2013, 12:03 PM
LuvingLumi
May 13 2013, 10:42 AM
S loves EJ
May 12 2013, 02:05 AM
LuvingLumi
May 11 2013, 11:18 PM
Ej isn't going to be the one who hurt Rafe....they are painting him as the good guy in this story and that will complete the failure of the character

I think the problem is that those who love bad EJ wants him to be bad but not to bad. The writhers kept making him quilty of attempted murder but not actual murder because that might scare the fans away. I love both Ejami and bad EJ so I have been a Little concerned that pairing Ejami would make EJ good and boring, but so far I have loved them together but itīs possible that I would get bored with EJ if he is Everett for to long. Still even if EJ was with Nicole I think his hands would be tied since the writhers canīt make him to bad.
.Ej did kill someone in the past...he's killed and attempted to kill....the writers don't know how to write the character, they never have because they always wanted to keep the option of him in a romantic lead character open. IMHO it's a failure because they way the character works is as a villain...you can't have it both ways...and EJ is not a grey character, he's plain evil...he's done enough bad things to those he's 'claimed to love' to last me a lifetime...and that includes his children too.....He's just like Stefano...but they've painted him in this 'I'm good' light now...he's pretty much like any other bad guy turned good guy now...he's not different than Rafe or Lucas or anyone...he's generic....

I do think itīs important to writhe a character consistent and true to the character, the problem is that they wrothe EJ wrong starting from the rapescene, the writhers intended to writhe him as a villain and then off the show, but then he and Ejami became popular and they realized that they made a mistake and did their best to fix it. Still the reason I first loved EJ was that I always loved evil character as villains, EJ reminded me of Derek from Sunset Beach who was an evil twin and a serial killer but I only loved him as a villain because he was pure evil while I loved his good twin Ben as a good character. Someone once said that they liked EJ as a villain but no way was he a lovematch for Sami because he was evil and a rapist, and someone else said that they thought that the writhers were going to have EJ being obssessed over Sami without ever willingly have her similar to Stefanoīs relation with Marlena, and that is how I loved Ej and Ejami at first him as a villain being obssessed with her, but Iīm not sure if their relationship could have continue that way I donīt think the Ejami fans would have wanted EJ to kidnapp Sami and putting her in a cage trying to hypnotize her into loving her. An other problem with having EJ just as a villain is that villains is usually shortlived they only last for a storyline then they die and maybe comes back from the dead a fiew years later, to keep EJ on longer they need to have him in a romatic lead and make him more than one dimensional not just bad but someone that is struggling between his good and bad side. Anyway when I say that EJ is gray I mean the current version I know that he has been writhen as evil in other versions.
I don't particularly agree that Ej was suppose to ever be off the show and by off I mean fired permanently, short term character, causes harm and then is written out. IMHO he was suppose to succeed Stefano for the long haul, and that was the plan and that was why they brought him in causing all kinds of problems. They needed to cement that character as the villainous son of Stefano right off the bat...enter black glove crimes, raping Sami and shooting John. Now I know what JS says, I know that he 'thought' his character was not going to be around much after raping Sami but there has truly been no evidence that the plan was to write the character off the canvas....IMHO even if they would have written him off then and rested him after the rape and John's shooting, it's a no brainer that he would have been back just around the time Lumi's wedding was taking place in May of 07....IMHO the true flip flopping of the character is what's hurt him the most. They wanted to fit him in as a love match without taking the time to put it into a believable story, one that people could buy without being a shipper fan of the couple or without forgetting about 75% of what had been written about him or them as a couple. In the end, he's become the 'good guy' in this story and that is just IMHO the wrong way to go with his character.....
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

tomsawyer
May 13 2013, 11:57 AM
LuvingLumi
S loves EJ
LuvingLumi
May 11 2013, 11:18 PM
Ej isn't going to be the one who hurt Rafe....they are painting him as the good guy in this story and that will complete the failure of the character

I think the problem is that those who love bad EJ wants him to be bad but not to bad. The writhers kept making him quilty of attempted murder but not actual murder because that might scare the fans away. I love both Ejami and bad EJ so I have been a Little concerned that pairing Ejami would make EJ good and boring, but so far I have loved them together but itīs possible that I would get bored with EJ if he is Everett for to long. Still even if EJ was with Nicole I think his hands would be tied since the writhers canīt make him to bad.
.Ej did kill someone in the past...he's killed and attempted to kill....the writers don't know how to write the character, they never have because they always wanted to keep the option of him in a romantic lead character open. IMHO it's a failure because they way the character works is as a villain...you can't have it both ways...and EJ is not a grey character, he's plain evil...he's done enough bad things to those he's 'claimed to love' to last me a lifetime...and that includes his children too.....He's just like Stefano...but they've painted him in this 'I'm good' light now...he's pretty much like any other bad guy turned good guy now...he's not different than Rafe or Lucas or anyone...he's generic....

I disagree with this somewhat. EJ works as more than just an uber bad guy. JS can play the romantic/daddy stuff well, so I think this current "in between" version of EJ works well too. And I don't see him just like Rafe or Lucas. I can't imagine either of them in the scenes where they discussed killing Nick or committing corporate espionage. So he's not just a generic good guy IMO. However, I do agree that the writing turning him from uber bad guy to kinda bad guy should've been better.
and this is where I disagree....I think JS might work with romantic/daddy stuff shit but I have a tough time believing Ej when he does, solely based on the writing for the character all these years. If Ej was truly a person that loved his kids, he would have never done half of the stuff he did to THEM without even feeling bad about doing it. Let's face it....soap characters make bad decisions all the time, but it's the motivations that don't paint the characters into corners they can't seem to come out of. I know Ej came out of his corners all these years but the fact that he comes out and does basically nothing to convince me that he's truly sorry for his actions is the one problem I have with the guy. For example, I might not like the character but I could understand him kidnapping Sydney to cause Sami pain from keeping her from him....however, Sami had just gone through the 'death of Grace' and for him to purposely tell Sami that Syd died and make her believe that by planting the bloody baby clothing was a bit much. How can you love your daughter and fake her death? But what I really can't believe is when he sort of blackmailed Sami into telling a cancer stricken Johnny that she didn't love him. What excuse is there for that? How can he love his son, and tell him that? Did his hate for Sami trump his love for his kids? That's certainly what it seemed, and NOW I'm suppose to believe that he's this great dad, giving fatherly advice to Will of all people? It's total BS in my eyes. Ej isn't grey....grey characters walk a fine line between good and bad but never overstep those boundaries.....and if they do they live to regret it deeply. Ej has overstepped the boundaries into the dark side so many times but somehow it doesn't seem he gave a flip about anything. You shouldn't need to change the character so drastically to fit them into a pairing and I think that is where both Ej fails miserably.

samwel

Just because a person made mistakes in the past as a parent does not mean they cannot learn from sed mistakes......like EJ said himself, he had a long way to go.....he is the same man who gave Sami full custody in the interest of the kids and since then August 2011, has pretty much done right by them.

EJ is NOT the first parent to have fucked up and are now a damn good parent and he won't be the last.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
May 13 2013, 12:48 PM
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi
S loves EJ

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I disagree with this somewhat. EJ works as more than just an uber bad guy. JS can play the romantic/daddy stuff well, so I think this current "in between" version of EJ works well too. And I don't see him just like Rafe or Lucas. I can't imagine either of them in the scenes where they discussed killing Nick or committing corporate espionage. So he's not just a generic good guy IMO. However, I do agree that the writing turning him from uber bad guy to kinda bad guy should've been better.
and this is where I disagree....I think JS might work with romantic/daddy stuff shit but I have a tough time believing Ej when he does, solely based on the writing for the character all these years. If Ej was truly a person that loved his kids, he would have never done half of the stuff he did to THEM without even feeling bad about doing it. Let's face it....soap characters make bad decisions all the time, but it's the motivations that don't paint the characters into corners they can't seem to come out of. I know Ej came out of his corners all these years but the fact that he comes out and does basically nothing to convince me that he's truly sorry for his actions is the one problem I have with the guy. For example, I might not like the character but I could understand him kidnapping Sydney to cause Sami pain from keeping her from him....however, Sami had just gone through the 'death of Grace' and for him to purposely tell Sami that Syd died and make her believe that by planting the bloody baby clothing was a bit much. How can you love your daughter and fake her death? But what I really can't believe is when he sort of blackmailed Sami into telling a cancer stricken Johnny that she didn't love him. What excuse is there for that? How can he love his son, and tell him that? Did his hate for Sami trump his love for his kids? That's certainly what it seemed, and NOW I'm suppose to believe that he's this great dad, giving fatherly advice to Will of all people? It's total BS in my eyes. Ej isn't grey....grey characters walk a fine line between good and bad but never overstep those boundaries.....and if they do they live to regret it deeply. Ej has overstepped the boundaries into the dark side so many times but somehow it doesn't seem he gave a flip about anything. You shouldn't need to change the character so drastically to fit them into a pairing and I think that is where both Ej fails miserably.
But I think this is a writing fail in not doing EJ's transformation well, rather than something inherent with the character only working a certain way. IMO, any character can undergo HUGE transformations so long as it is written well. I'd even buy Stefano becoming a good guy if they took the time to make it believable and told the story the right way. Really, the only time I'm against major character transformations is when the transformation works against the actor's abilities. If JS wasn't good at playing the romantic or the daddy stuff, then I'd be much more apt to want EJ to stay in uber villain mode.
Edited by tomsawyer, May 13 2013, 01:36 PM.

S loves EJ

LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi
S loves EJ

I donīt think the sydnapping was a bad storyline but they went to far with it by having EJ fake Sydneyīs death, but he has shown some remorse for it he had this revaltion when he realized he was inlove with Sami when he kept saying - what have I done, what have I done, and he said after he was shoot that if Sami was the one that shoot him he deserved it. There is no excuse for what he said to Johnny but I think that even if EJ has made a couple of terrible mistakes he has been showned to love his kids and being a good dad most of the times.

michelle
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi
S loves EJ

I think the death of Lexie, forever changed him, or at least for a LONG while. She wanted him to be a better man, knew he could be a better man and he's honoring that request. At least when it comes to not hurting his family, ergo, Sami and the kids.

lysie
Member Avatar

michelle
May 13 2013, 01:31 PM
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

I think the death of Lexie, forever changed him, or at least for a LONG while. She wanted him to be a better man, knew he could be a better man and he's honoring that request. At least when it comes to not hurting his family, ergo, Sami and the kids.

It's a shame that hasn't actually been referenced on screen.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

michelle
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

If they were going to use that as a catalyst to 'explain' his transformation now then they should have truly attempted to build up their relationship more solidly in the months before she died. Instead he was fighting a battle against her husband and his mayoral seat. I just still don't buy that he was ever really tight with her....I buy their sibling relationship as much as I buy his and Kristen's or his and Chad's....not much.....there were so many other times that they could have used to transform his and explain away his desire to change and be a better person but they failed miserably. If Johnny having cancer didn't transform Ej, why am I to think that Lexie dying of cancer is going to do that for me. I do agree with Tom the the writing was just so bad....but that is what I'm saying...it's been too many writing regimes and they still can't figure out a compelling way to sell Ej as a romantic lead...IMHO it's that the character works better as a villain but they are trying to sell him as both and they can't.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

lysie
May 13 2013, 02:08 PM
michelle
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

It has. For example, he talked about it around Christmastime with Abe when they visited Lexie's grave.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

exactly...at the very least if that is going to be used as an excuse he could tell Sami in dialogue, or Marlena or Roman or Rafe, Kate, etc....anyone....when was the last time he spoke with Abe?

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

But the problem is they haven't shown him changing or transforming. It's like they have a character who's an artist. They show that character painting every time they're on for 40 years and decorate every house or office set with those paintings.

One day, with no physical explanation, such as an accident makes her hands shake so she can't paint, or a brain trama gives her a strange phobia to painting, she simply stops. All mention of her being an artist stops. In fact people start saying she never was an artist.

The paintings with her name on them are never removed, portraits of the characters she painted hang right behind their heads while she talks to them but are never mentioned.

Like the scene where EJ talks to Will about fatherhood instead of Lucas. Lucas, like Will wanted to be apart of his child's life and there was no reason for being denied.

The fact that EJ was kept away because of rape, murder, attemted murder, and abuse, the reason that Will shot him and is now kept away from his daughter just hangs there like a painting.

lysie
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
May 13 2013, 02:12 PM
lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi

It has. For example, he talked about it around Christmastime with Abe when they visited Lexie's grave.
Yeah. A reference isn't the same as something playing out.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

S loves EJ
May 13 2013, 01:30 PM
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
LuvingLumi

I donīt think the sydnapping was a bad storyline but they went to far with it by having EJ fake Sydneyīs death, but he has shown some remorse for it he had this revaltion when he realized he was inlove with Sami when he kept saying - what have I done, what have I done, and he said after he was shoot that if Sami was the one that shoot him he deserved it. There is no excuse for what he said to Johnny but I think that even if EJ has made a couple of terrible mistakes he has been showned to love his kids and being a good dad most of the times.

He showed no remorse for it, he brought her back because Ana told him that Sami wanted a hero and that is why she was with Rafe....and true remorse comes with not doing something similar again...what occurred just a few months later?...he was doing something dastardly as bad to Johnny...forcing Sami to tell him that she didn't love him because she wanted to be with Rafe....

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi

He was lying to Abe at Lexie's grave. He knew Kristen was out to hurt John and Marlena yet he stood over his sister's grave and lied to Abe's face about it.

samwel

lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

He pretty much said as much to Abe at Christmas and to Kristen when he gave her the medallion on Christmas Day.

I believe he even said 'I try to honor her memory in the way in which I live my life.'

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

lysie
May 13 2013, 02:15 PM
JamaicanBeauty7
lysie
michelle

But it has played out over the past fall, where EJ tries to be a better guy and father to his kids. We got a lot of references by Caroline and Sami over that time span that he is improving and trying to be a better person.

lysie
Member Avatar

samwel
May 13 2013, 02:18 PM
lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi

He pretty much said as much to Abe at Christmas and to Kristen when he gave her the medallion on Christmas Day.

I believe he even said 'I try to honor her memory in the way in which I live my life.'
Right. And words are not the same thing as watching something play out.

lysie
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
May 13 2013, 02:20 PM
lysie
May 13 2013, 02:15 PM
JamaicanBeauty7
lysie

But it has played out over the past fall, where EJ tries to be a better guy and father to his kids. We got a lot of references by Caroline and Sami over that time span that he is improving and trying to be a better person.
Yeah. Again, it's not the same as what I'm talking about. There's no need to defend it. I'm not bashing what has played out (though we all know I could). I'm saying its a shame they didn't choose to have that part of the story be something they really focused on.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

I have a question.....didn't Lexie want him and Stefano to make amends before Stefano 'died'?

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer

Exactly! Like I said upthread, I can buy that having to give up his kids in 2011 and Lexie's death in 2012 made EJ realize that a life of violent crime wasn't what he wanted for himself anymore. Those are two big events and so I would accept them as a catalyst for a transformation. But I really wish the writers would've made that the on-screen story. I feel like they've alluded to it at times, but when you're taking a character who was part of a plan to kidnap/brainwash a man and put a criminal in his ex-wife's bed and his kid's home just two years ago, I think you need to do better than just alluding to the catalyst for his change.

And it's stuff like this as to why I've committed myself to just enjoying the show in the moment rather than expecting more in-depth, long-term character arcs. The show simply doesn't deliver the latter for any character anymore.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply