Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promo for the week of May 13th
Topic Started: May 11 2013, 02:46 AM (3,640 Views)
samwel

TreasureCove
May 13 2013, 02:18 PM
JamaicanBeauty7
May 13 2013, 02:12 PM
lysie
May 13 2013, 02:08 PM
michelle
May 13 2013, 01:31 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
It's a shame that hasn't actually been referenced on screen.
It has. For example, he talked about it around Christmastime with Abe when they visited Lexie's grave.
He was lying to Abe at Lexie's grave. He knew Kristen was out to hurt John and Marlena yet he stood over his sister's grave and lied to Abe's face about it.
Actually EJ has been shown to be quite unaware of Kristen real plans and schemes.

EJ gave his motivation and thus far has been shown to be following it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

He didn't know what her plan was because she didn't tell him, but he knew she was going to do something to hurt them. He knew that, yet lied to Abe and told him Kristen had completely reformed. He told him she would not hurt Abe's friends.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

tomsawyer
May 13 2013, 02:26 PM
lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi
May 13 2013, 12:48 PM

I think the death of Lexie, forever changed him, or at least for a LONG while. She wanted him to be a better man, knew he could be a better man and he's honoring that request. At least when it comes to not hurting his family, ergo, Sami and the kids.

Exactly! Like I said upthread, I can buy that having to give up his kids in 2011 and Lexie's death in 2012 made EJ realize that a life of violent crime wasn't what he wanted for himself anymore. Those are two big events and so I would accept them as a catalyst for a transformation. But I really wish the writers would've made that the on-screen story. I feel like they've alluded to it at times, but when you're taking a character who was part of a plan to kidnap/brainwash a man and put a criminal in his ex-wife's bed and his kid's home just two years ago, I think you need to do better than just alluding to the catalyst for his change.

And it's stuff like this as to why I've committed myself to just enjoying the show in the moment rather than expecting more in-depth, long-term character arcs. The show simply doesn't deliver the latter for any character anymore.
It might be that the writers truly didn't intend to go with Ejami but were forced to by NBC and that is why there was no 'reasoning' playing out over months as to why Ej is now this way......obviously if the intent of the writers was not to go with Ejami but to continue down the Safe path once again then there would be no dialogue, no story as to why Ej was reacting this way since Lexie's death.....if they had started to build that from the point of Lexie's death to the point of Ejami getting together then maybe it would have been accepted as fact....the fact that they don't bother to write character driven stories and continue to focus more on plots is what's ruined this show entirely for me.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

While I do think EJ is trying to be a better father, I don't believe he's trying to be a better person. That's why I disliked his "'I try to honor her memory in the way in which I live my life." comment to Abe about Lexie.

He when he was with Kristen he flat out said he was trying to show Sami that he was the better man for her and that's why he's not doing his usual tricks (at least not outright).

EJ's not a better person than he used to be and he has no real intention to be. He just wants to keep Sami around so he'll fake it 'til he makes it.

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
lysie
michelle
LuvingLumi
May 13 2013, 12:48 PM

I think the death of Lexie, forever changed him, or at least for a LONG while. She wanted him to be a better man, knew he could be a better man and he's honoring that request. At least when it comes to not hurting his family, ergo, Sami and the kids.

Exactly! Like I said upthread, I can buy that having to give up his kids in 2011 and Lexie's death in 2012 made EJ realize that a life of violent crime wasn't what he wanted for himself anymore. Those are two big events and so I would accept them as a catalyst for a transformation. But I really wish the writers would've made that the on-screen story. I feel like they've alluded to it at times, but when you're taking a character who was part of a plan to kidnap/brainwash a man and put a criminal in his ex-wife's bed and his kid's home just two years ago, I think you need to do better than just alluding to the catalyst for his change.

And it's stuff like this as to why I've committed myself to just enjoying the show in the moment rather than expecting more in-depth, long-term character arcs. The show simply doesn't deliver the latter for any character anymore.
This is why I don't shake my head at you.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
May 13 2013, 02:31 PM
tomsawyer
lysie
michelle

It might be that the writers truly didn't intend to go with Ejami but were forced to by NBC and that is why there was no 'reasoning' playing out over months as to why Ej is now this way......obviously if the intent of the writers was not to go with Ejami but to continue down the Safe path once again then there would be no dialogue, no story as to why Ej was reacting this way since Lexie's death.....if they had started to build that from the point of Lexie's death to the point of Ejami getting together then maybe it would have been accepted as fact....the fact that they don't bother to write character driven stories and continue to focus more on plots is what's ruined this show entirely for me.
I don't know. I'd say your spec is right if TomSell was capable of doing in-depth, long-term character arcs with others, but this kind of writing is par for the course with them. I mean, their whole tenure before was marked by abrupt character changes with little explanation for them and we're seeing it now with other characters besides EJ. That's why I've given up on looking for more. It's made the show much more enjoyable, LOL.
Edited by tomsawyer, May 13 2013, 02:41 PM.

samwel

TreasureCove
May 13 2013, 02:30 PM
He didn't know what her plan was because she didn't tell him, but he knew she was going to do something to hurt them. He knew that, yet lied to Abe and told him Kristen had completely reformed. He told him she would not hurt Abe's friends.
There is a reason when the ish hit the fan a few days later he could deny deny deny ;)

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I definitely think they could have done a much better job of having EJ's attempt to be a better man play out on screen. I know that Lexie's death has been referenced and we've seen some of that. His discussions with Kristen were a bit ambiguous, but I don't really think EJ's ever been clued in by her what her true motives are - particularly to her grand plan with Brady. We've seen EJ say he wants to be a better man for his children, for Lexie and even 'in hopes' of Sami - but it's certainly been inconsistent. I do think it's their intention now to have EJ continue to strive to be 'better' - and if anything, we're seeing the role reversal where Sami is now more apt to be in/cause trouble. And I'm fine with that so far. I'm curious to see where the storyline with Justin helping him take down Stefano will lead. I suspect that's another rung on the ladder toward making the character of EJ more accepted/respected by the people of Salem down the road.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Quote:

There is a reason when the ish hit the fan a few days later he could deny deny deny

That doesn't honour his sister's memory or make him a better man.
Edited by TreasureCove, May 13 2013, 02:49 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

tomsawyer
May 13 2013, 02:39 PM
LuvingLumi
tomsawyer
lysie

I don't know. I'd say your spec is right if TomSell was capable of doing in-depth, long-term character arcs with others, but this kind of writing is par for the course with them. I mean, their whole tenure before was marked by abrupt character changes with little explanation for them and we're seeing it now with other characters besides EJ. That's why I've given up on looking for more. It's made the show much more enjoyable, LOL.
Yeah, but if they know the direction and no one changes it on them at least they go the dream, flashback route....lol....

samwel

TreasureCove
May 13 2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:

There is a reason when the ish hit the fan a few days later he could deny deny deny

That doesn't honour his sister's memory or make him a better man.
:huh:

he did not know

I do love however that when it comes to Stefano, its for him and his family.....even if it only works for a short period of time, its worth the try.
Edited by samwel, May 13 2013, 03:03 PM.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

He did know. He knew Kristen was out to get John and Marlena. He could have warned Abe that Kristen hadn't really changed and he should watch out for his friends. He didn't.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
May 13 2013, 02:48 PM
I suspect that's another rung on the ladder toward making the character of EJ more accepted/respected by the people of Salem down the road.
:shame: After everything EJ has done to them without remorse, that would be piss poor writing. Unfortunetly I could see that happening :frustration: :badmood:

MissLola
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
May 13 2013, 04:39 PM
He did know. He knew Kristen was out to get John and Marlena. He could have warned Abe that Kristen hadn't really changed and he should watch out for his friends. He didn't.
I think anyone in Salem with at least half a brain knew that Kristen was out to cause trouble.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

:whistle: That rules out everyone in Salem except the kids

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
May 13 2013, 04:39 PM
EJ's knowledge of Kristen and Jarlena is the same as everybody else in Salem (except Brady who is clueless and Stefano who actually does know what she's up to). He suspects that she's using Brady to make trouble for Jarlena. As does Sami. As does Eric. As does Marlena. As does pretty much everybody. What is EJ supposed to tell Abe beyond the fact he has suspicions just like everybody does?

michelle
Member Avatar

lysie
tomsawyer
lysie
michelle

Yet she still LOVES them.

ETA: She still loves them, shit writing and all.
Edited by michelle, May 13 2013, 05:03 PM.

MissLola
Member Avatar

Abe, Marlena,John, Hope, Roman etc. have known Kristen personally for years. They lived through her last reign of terror. Ej has barely known her for 6 months. I must have missed the episode where he was nominated to be responsible for Kristen's actions. :shrug:

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

michelle
May 13 2013, 05:02 PM
lysie
tomsawyer
lysie

:lol: EJ makes me feel all swoony when he looks at Sami. That's why I have to compartmentalize.

lysie
Member Avatar

michelle
May 13 2013, 05:02 PM
lysie
tomsawyer
lysie

ETA: She still loves them, shit writing and all.
And that's okay.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply