Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC & OLTL cut back to 2 episodes a week.
Topic Started: May 16 2013, 01:32 PM (2,208 Views)
darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Press Release: http://theonlinenetwork.com/press/TOLN_New%20Show%20Schedule_5.16.13.pdf?SJ023
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

taylore
Member Avatar

I'm assuming this is not good news,well atleast they tried.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

This sucks... :(

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Stupid idiotic move. They haven't given any time for this yet. It's only been less than a month. TOLN?! WTF!?!?

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
May 16 2013, 01:39 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm blaming Gramps. It's obviously the only thing that makes sense.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Bad move. It's a vote of no confidence that a casual viewer will easily pick up on.

And I find it highly annoying to be expected to watch AMC when I've never been a fan. These shows have their own audiences.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

That's actually a really stupid move. They want people to mass watch the episodes so they're cutting their episodes to get the most views possible. They're focusing on weekend mass watchers but they're forgetting the daily views are also important.

Personally I like to do both but having to wait two days a week for the episodes is kinda annoying. It's not like AMC and OLTL are some new web indie soap series, they're both legendary shows their return was highly publicized and people were/are excited for the shows to be back. For them to cut their episodes down to two days a week is not smart especially when they JUST came back from the dead. This move would make more sense if it was done 6 months from now, not 2 weeks after the premiere.

King of Hearts
Member Avatar

After reading the release twice, I understand why they're doing this and why I CAN and WILL SUPPORT this movement. If there is something else ($$$) involved, then it's a different story to me.

From press:
Quote:

Today it is clear these shows have resonated, as many millions of views have been logged sinceour April 29th debut, a mere two and a half weeks ago. We’ve consistently been in the top ten
shows viewed on Hulu and viewers and critics alike have told us how impressed they are with
the quality of both programs. The past two weeks have been invaluable in terms of learning
about how you watch and when you watch our shows on this new platform. We have gained
enormous insight through our actual viewing data and our research. And our research has
revealed the following:

In the past these shows had their vast majority of views within the first 24 hours. Instead, our
shows are primarily consumed on different days then when they originally air. Primarily,
fans have been binge viewing or watching on demand, and as a result, we feel we have been
expecting our audience to dedicate what has turned out to be an excessive amount of time to
viewing these shows. (As an example, for the substantial audience only watching on the
weekends, we are currently asking them to watch five hours of programming to keep pace
with our release schedule).

On ABC the shows shared a large percentage of their viewers with each other. Yet, the
majority of our viewers are watching one show or the other, not both, and they aren’t
viewing the shows when they did before. Part of the reason for choosing between the shows
may be that the largest viewing takes place either between 12PM and 1PM (when people
generally can only fit one episode during lunch time) or between 5PM and 7PM (when the
vast majority of competing shows are a half hour long). We are finding that asking most
people to regularly watch more than a half hour per day online seems to be too much.

During their ABC runs, viewers watched only 2-3 episodes on average a week and picked up
with whichever day’s episode it was. Our viewers seem to primarily start with the first
episode and then continue forward episode by episode. Like with primetime serialized
dramas as opposed to the traditional slower pacing of daytime, people feel lost if they miss
an episode. People are starting from the beginning; the shows are designed for complete
viewing from episode one. Yet starting from the beginning with the amount of episodes we
are releasing is asking too much for viewers who need to catch up.

The clear conclusion is that while somewhat mixed, these viewing patterns resemble more
closely the typical patterns of online viewing rather than how one would watch traditional
television. This leads us to believe we are posting too many episodes and making it far too
challenging for viewers to keep up. When it comes to online viewing, most of us are just trying
to find time to watch series comprised of 13 to 22 episodes a season-so asking viewers to assign
time for over 100 episodes per show is a daunting task.

Therefore, we have chosen to revise our scheduling model beginning this Monday, May 20th by
introducing two new episodes from OLTL and AMC each week- new episodes of AMC will now
run on Mondays and Wednesdays, and fresh episodes of OLTL will post Tuesdays and
Thursdays. MORE, our behind the scenes series, will run as a single show on Fridays. This
allows us to introduce a new episode of quality television every Monday through Friday and
gives the audience a chance to catch up as we continue to build awareness and excitement around
these new shows. Because Hulu agrees with our findings, for the meantime they will keep all of
our episodes on Hulu.com for free to give viewers the opportunity to find us and catch up.

Basically, they don't want to smother viewers, who aren't able to watch the episodes when they're released into watching MULTIPLE episodes (A weeks worth including MORE on Fridays will be 5 STIFF hours) in their free time.This should also make the MORE episodes MORE INTERESTING by having a guests from AMC and OLTL appear on the same show. I can say it's really boring watching an HOURS worth of MORE episodes, so it should be interesting to watch 30 minutes of MORE featuruing stars from both shows in ONE episode.

I can take it or leave it. I mean I'm 22 and I work in the mornings, but before I get home I make sure if I need to take care of anything or want to see anyone before I go home, because when I get home, I startup the computer, open hulu favorites, then play AMC first, then OLTL while Zaxby's or whatever I'm craving for, then surf the web before nap... Of course $$$ will affect parties involved...
Edited by King of Hearts, May 16 2013, 02:11 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I admit while I'll miss watching AMC 4days a week, I think this will be better. Now I'll start giving OLTL a chance too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

So it will either take forever to get through plots or good storytelling will be sacrificed for the sake of keeping these shows fast-paced and maintaining viewers' interest. Either way, it's no good.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Boo.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Bright Eyes
May 16 2013, 01:58 PM
Miss Rhi
May 16 2013, 01:39 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm blaming Gramps. It's obviously the only thing that makes sense.
Block me from watching, will they?

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Eastenders and Corrie went decades only airing 2 a week with the running length (25-28 minutes) being roughly the same. But they were written for it and they hit the beats they needed to. This? This is just a mess.

I'd wishfully hope they recut the episodes to keep the pace up. None of the plots right now are particularly interesting and if we're going to be expected to wait double the time to see them through people are going to drop off. Including me.
Edited by Drew, May 16 2013, 04:19 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Quote:

The clear conclusion is that while somewhat mixed, these viewing patterns resemble more closely the typical patterns of online viewing rather than how one would watch traditional television. This leads us to believe we are posting too many episodes and making it far too challenging for viewers to keep up.

...of course. Why create something for distribution online and expect it to be consumed as though it were on television?

It seems like they expect people to still watch 4 half-hour episodes a week even though they suggest that's part of the problem. They just think that by holding back on each individual show we'll fill in the gap with the other one. I'm not sure it would work that way.

I think it's just as likely that people will continue to watch these online shows in an online viewing kinda way, which would mean (imho) saving up episodes and then "binge viewing." It's not a negative thing or a challenge to the individual, in my opinion; it's actually a choice some of us make- particularly with serialized programming- and it enhances the experience to get to watch 4 in a row instead of 1 or 2. I'd usually wait until I had 2 "Walking Dead" episodes, I won't really watch "Parks and Recreation" until I've gotten a night-ful to veg out to. About 2 hours of the same program- that's what I generally do now.

Which then means...I think they might decrease their viewer counts for both shows as people wait and save up episodes. If I like OLTL and I'm a binge viewer, I'll just wait until there are more episodes before I watch. I'm not going to turn to AMC to fill in time.

The whole article...I get it, but I think it's a bit strange.

I think it's even strange when you take a television-viewing mentality. Outside of the networks, a lot of channels survive on marathons. It's all NCIS all day, or thousands of consecutive "House Hunters" episodes. Marathons/binge viewing is kind of how a lot of us roll at this point. Why not go with that?

Sell entire seasons of the show up-front- that could be a possibility, couldn't it? What's the reason for airing the way they do, anyway? Just to avoid spoilers?
Edited by px780, May 16 2013, 05:05 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Sorry but this seems like a Bullshit reason to me.

The whole point of Hulu is to watch when you want. So what if people "binge view" on the weekends? Maybe that is how they want to watch it!

And perhaps people are not watching both shows, because they don't want to lol.

BS reasoning... or excuse.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

This is idiotic. So basically they want to punish people for binge viewing but yet at the same time say people can't keep up. uh WHAT?

They also seem to want people to watch both shows even though both have their own sets of fans and not alot are going to watch both and one show's success should not be dependent on the other's
Edited by dragonflies, May 16 2013, 06:06 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I have actually watched both shows. Which surprised even me because I hadn't watch AMC for years before it was cancelled.

natdot99
Member Avatar

:bs: :bs: :bs: How about airing new shows at decent hours. Some viewers, like me, didn't see the point of airing new shows between 2-3 am was just a bad business decision. If you sign up for Hulu plus which is 7.99 a month and buying full episodes on Itunes, how much is PP gaining from the profits from each business should be enough to cover the four shows.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

They're not aired at 2am??

Tammy
Member Avatar

The new shows are posted at 5 am and you can watch them ANY TIME! That is why this new schedule is stupid... and makes no difference as to when people will watch them or how!!! :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply