Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC & OLTL cut back to 2 episodes a week.
Topic Started: May 16 2013, 01:32 PM (2,323 Views)
darraholic
Member Avatar

Press Release: http://theonlinenetwork.com/press/TOLN_New%20Show%20Schedule_5.16.13.pdf?SJ023
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
natdot99
Member Avatar

Tammy
May 16 2013, 09:39 PM
The new shows are posted at 5 am and you can watch them ANY TIME! That is why this new schedule is stupid... and makes no difference as to when people will watch them or how!!! :shame:

Thank you for your clarification. PP needs to fire their business manager or head of operations because he or she does not know how the daytime industry operates.

eyebrowns

IDK! I for one have not been able to keep up with the 8 episodes a week no matter how badly I wanted to. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

nightfan

eyebrowns
May 16 2013, 11:49 PM
IDK! I for one have not been able to keep up with the 8 episodes a week no matter how badly I wanted to. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
I agree. If the goal is to force more time for OLTL or AMC viewing (if current viewers only watch one soap but not the other) this is the way to free up their time and hopefully entice them.

Mason
Member Avatar

Well, I've only been watching OLTL as I've never been an AMC fan, and going from airing 4 to 2 episodes per week is certainly not going to make me any more inclined to watch the latter. It's demotivating. If I really wanted to watch both shows, I'd find a way to make the time.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

I have to admit that I haven't watched the last 12 episodes of both All My Children and One Life to Live because I'm also trying to keep up with General Hospital and Young and the Restless, but even still, I don't see much good coming of this.

Oh well if our shows do perish again in a year's time, I can say that this experience introduced me to the Roku which has been the most addictive thing in my life since discovering the internet some fourteen years ago.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

My only real concern is how this new Hulu schedule is going to impact the FX Canada broadcasting deal for the rights to air the episodes.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

I'm not trying to sound rude but I say if people have time to come online and post on a message board and go on facebook or twitter and whatnot then IMO they can squeeze in the time for a 23 minute show.

I've seen people spend hours online playing games

(that wasn't directed at anyone in particular)

dragonflies
Member Avatar

nightfan
May 17 2013, 12:01 AM
eyebrowns
I agree. If the goal is to force more time for OLTL or AMC viewing (if current viewers only watch one soap but not the other) this is the way to free up their time and hopefully entice them.
nope it's going to encourage binge viewing even more. People are going to save the shows for the weekend and just watch them then. So PP is encouraging what they don't want lol

livelikemusic
Member Avatar

Not upset by this decision. I was finding it hard to watch the episodes on the date they aired, so I'd normally watch on my days off on Thursday. So it works for me. Maybe they'll bump them to an hour again? Maybe?

darraholic
Member Avatar

I guess OLTL & AMC are now available on Itunes Canada.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I really think PP is really shooting it's self in the foot with this schedule change! Already FX Canada has dropped them. :shame:

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

They should bump the shows to an hour now that they're only gonna be on 2x a week each.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

http://blogs.tv.msn.ca/2013/05/fx-canada-axes-amc-and-oltl.html

FX Canada has announced that they will be axing broadcast of revived soaps All My Children and One Life to Live.

Prospect Park announced last week that they were scaling back airings on Hulu.com and iTunes to 2 episodes a week from the 4.

While online availability in Canada hasn't been announced by Rogers Media (who run FX Canada), they did release the following statement:

Due to changes in production beyond our control, FX Canada will no longer be airing All My Children and One Life to Live. Beginning Monday, May 20, back-to-back episodes of critically-acclaimed series 30 Rock will air from noon to 1 p.m. ET on FX Canada.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

Does anybody know if The Online Network, Prospect Park or even HuluPLUS has released some type of statement indicating whether more people are watching via their computer monitors or if they are watching via their TVs?

Personally, if these shows were accessible only via the computer, I wouldn't care one bit and wouldn't be watching and I've been watching these soaps since I was a little boy. I guess I'm set in my ways and like to be working on my PC and look up and watch my TV while the action happens.

Having said that, being able to watch via my TV (via the utterly fantastic Roku) still hasn't gotten me as hooked as I thought I would be. I'm 13 episodes behind on both All My Children and One Life to Live and it's easy as pie to watch on TV. Don't need to log in to HuluPLUS or anything. Just click on the ap and type in "A" or "O" to get your shows.

I think I reached my soap loving zenith sometime in the 1980's when I was a teen and the soaps were as good as Game of Thrones and Arrested Development are today.

dragonflies
Member Avatar

nightfan
May 17 2013, 12:01 AM
eyebrowns
The only thing this is going to do is make people binge watch even more than they already do. They can save the eppy's and watch them at the end of the month or week or whatnot

nightfan

Here's what concerns me. Surely this has a bearing on the actors' compensation. Has a statement been released about the production crew's pay? Would this not mean that everyone's salaries just got cut in HALF? Did I miss where this issue was raised? Have any actors spoken about the topic?
You just can't scale back this much without cutting paychecks.

Kenny
Member Avatar

The 40th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards air tonight at 8:00 PM/ET on HLN.

Please join us in our live viewing thread to discuss the show!

http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8821831/1/
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply