Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday, May 24th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: May 24 2013, 06:07 AM (15,222 Views)
AFaithL

jwsel
May 27 2013, 09:57 PM
angie37
May 27 2013, 09:38 PM
annie21
May 27 2013, 09:07 PM
blueskies
May 27 2013, 08:22 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Wow, this sounds a lot like what people complained about during the Jack/Jennifer/Daniel debacle. I think we were supposed to see Jennifer have feelings for Jack all through the Fall, but MR didn't play it that way. After MA left the show (and the writers changed), he said that MR hated the writing of the triangle and she knew that it was OOC and that the fans wouldn't accept it.

Hmm. Again, it makes me think that the actors are being hamstrung by the writing and the direction.

That could be true about MR, but she sure didn't have problems emoting in scenes with SC's Daniel, IMO.

As for DH, he may not have understood John's motive with Kristen, but he does know that John has loved Doc for decades. He could have shown that if nothing else.
But if John shows that he loves Marlena, while he is treating her like dirt and trying to sleep with Kristen, doesn't that make John seem like an even bigger douche? With no real explanation for his motivations and why he feels this is course of conduct is his only recourse, I don't see how Drake playing it so it is clear that John loves Marlena while he is chasing Kristen would make John look better than if Drake just plays John like he is.

Plus, of course, we have no idea what acting directives Drake has received. He may have been told to be intentionally vague about John's true feelings so the writers can do whatever they want.
No matter how he played it, John being civil to Kristen, let alone acting like he still "cares" for her in any capacity is the height of character assassination. The real John would want nothing to do with Kristen no matter what. No matter if she was the last woman on earth. He would be disgusted to even be in her presence.

I don't blame Drake for being pissed. He know what his fans want.
Edited by AFaithL, May 27 2013, 10:11 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

Drake knows his fans won't accept any other pairing for him BUT John and Marlena. I feel bad for him. He (and the fans) deserve better writing for John/Marlena.

lysie
Member Avatar

Okay guys. Seriously. Drake has fans that aren't John/Marlena fans. Please stop. You are free to discuss your opinion, but please stop speaking for everyone.

AFaithL

Sorry. Should be "most".

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
May 27 2013, 10:19 PM
Sorry. Should be "most".
No. Should be "I" or "me."

angie37
Member Avatar

annie21
May 27 2013, 09:41 PM
angie37
annie21
blueskies
May 27 2013, 08:22 PM

Wow, this sounds a lot like what people complained about during the Jack/Jennifer/Daniel debacle. I think we were supposed to see Jennifer have feelings for Jack all through the Fall, but MR didn't play it that way. After MA left the show (and the writers changed), he said that MR hated the writing of the triangle and she knew that it was OOC and that the fans wouldn't accept it.

Hmm. Again, it makes me think that the actors are being hamstrung by the writing and the direction.

That could be true about MR, but she sure didn't have problems emoting in scenes with SC's Daniel, IMO.

As for DH, he may not have understood John's motive with Kristen, but he does know that John has loved Doc for decades. He could have shown that if nothing else.
Unless the director is telling him not to show it.

It's been a long day, so admittedly my brain isn't functioning as quickly as usual, but I'm having a hard time understanding why a director would tell DH not to show any emotions whatsoever. Would this lack of total emotion somehow make us believe that John was falling for Kristen or something? No matter how we slice it, John's motives made/make little sense, and the actor's portrayal didn't help, IMO, "director" or no director.

At least if I saw that he cared for Doc and gave a flying fig that he was/is hurting her, I could probably cut the brother some slack. As it is, I think the only thing Marlena should give him is a swift kick in the same nuts he is trying to give to Kristen.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

angie37
May 27 2013, 10:22 PM
annie21
angie37
annie21

It's been a long day, so admittedly my brain isn't functioning as quickly as usual, but I'm having a hard time understanding why a director would tell DH not to show any emotions whatsoever. Would this lack of total emotion somehow make us believe that John was falling for Kristen or something? No matter how we slice it, John's motives made/make little sense, and the actor's portrayal didn't help, IMO, "director" or no director.

At least if I saw that he cared for Doc and gave a flying fig that he was/is hurting her, I could probably cut the brother some slack. As it is, I think the only thing Marlena should give him is a swift kick in the same nuts he is trying to give to Kristen.

I could see a director giving DHim coaching to be cold and insensitive as a means to explain John's actions. He knows what he has to do (bed Kristen), and so his distance is a way for him to ensure that reaches that goal (i.e., the less conversations he has with a weepy Marlena, the most of a chance he has to actually follow through with his plan.)

Alternatively, maybe Drake "emoting" was so bad that Alarr, Meng, Corday and de Cazotte all agreed that no acting was better than some acting.

Honestly, I have no idea.
Edited by nickyj12345, May 27 2013, 10:40 PM.

jwsel
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
May 27 2013, 10:38 PM
angie37
annie21
angie37

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepdoes know that John has loved Doc for decades. He could have shown that if nothing else.

I could see a director giving DHim coaching to be cold and insensitive as a means to explain John's actions. He knows what he has to do (bed Kristen), and so his distance is a way for him to ensure that reaches that goal (i.e., the less conversations he has with a weepy Marlena, the most of a chance he has to actually follow through with his plan.)

Alternatively, maybe Drake "emoting" was so bad that Alarr, Meng, Corday and de Cazotte all agreed that no acting was better than some acting.

Honestly, I have no idea.
That's one possible explanation. Another possible explanation is that not making John's inner thoughts clear gives the writers room to take the story in different directions. I think TPTB deliberately prefer to have characters like that. They think it's some form of "grey." So we get Sami, who can screw Lucas on Monday, profess her undying love to Rafe on Tuesday, and have hot monkey sex with EJ on Wednesday. Or Jennifer can seem completely blase about Jack's PTSD while equivocating between him and Daniel.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the thinking is that it's cheaper. If you don't have rootable couples and don't make anyone the love of anyone else's life, you never really have to worry about contract negotiations. Every actor or couple may have fans, but nobody really is indispensable.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

The fact that we are fanwanking at this stage shows what an utter failure this story has been. It should be clear from the get-go.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Listen, I have come to the realization loooong ago that "Super Couples" are thing of the past. "Doug and Julie", daytime's and "Days" first super couple were dynamite. The screen would be full of sexual tension and angst. The story of their love played over and over again for years, and the fans ate it up.

Then the 80's became a bonanza, and we'd have multiple super couples through out the decade that are forever in our memory. Even the 90's, though Reilly wanted to write more for "triangles" than "couples', had it's fair share of super couples (John and Marlena, Austin and Carrie, etc...). However, I got it about 10 years ago that the super couple dynamic was dead, and no one will bring it
back.

ONE LAST THING: Just because super couples peaked and then declined, the writers are given no hall pass on their wretched writing. Hey, why not do some triangles, but wait for the actors with the right chemistry to pull it off (My mind goes back to Marlena, Roman, and John. It was the perfect setup and boy did the show ever capitalize on that one.) Write with what seems to be a plan or a climax. Let us see light at the end of the tunnel, even if the resolution is far from being exposed. KEEP CHARACTERS IN CHARACTER!!!! I have watched this show literally since I was a toddler. I know when a character is acting totally wrong and things do not line up with the characters history or personality. It's simple really, and they make it so complicated.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

There's also no need to write the characters like little kids:

"He's my boyfriend because he gave me a cookie. I'm gonna love him forever and ever and ever."

two hours later-"I hate him! I hate him! I never loved him!"

It is possible to write these characters like adults. To have their hearts change and their relationships end without burning the ground they walked on, and throwing salt on it for good measure.

nightfan

angie37
annie21
angie37
annie21

I think, although rarely ,Drake has emoted. I disagree with those saying he's done no emoting throughout this story. Rarely, but yes. He's shown conflict about John's hurting Marlena.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply