Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
DR Countdown: 20 Most Wanted Returns; Top Ten
Topic Started: May 27 2013, 09:15 AM (5,063 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Before we get to our top ten, here’s a photo of a few people who got several votes but weren’t included on the list. We chose not to include them because they’re all still part of the show. However, they all got enough votes to warrant a mention. All of these characters have a place on the current canvas, and many would like to see them more.

Posted Image

And now on to our top ten. In case you’re interested, there was no contest for number one. Numbers two, three, four, and five were all incredibly close as were numbers six and seven. The top seven were all significantly higher than the rest.

10. Shawn Douglas Brady - Jason Cook
Posted Image Posted Image

Shawn is the oldest child of Days’ signature couple. He was onscreen almost his entire life, so it's hard to believe he hasn’t been seen in Salem in five years! In the early 2000's, Shawn seemed poised to take over his father’s role in Salem. He had a budding relationship with the daughter of another high profile Days couple, he was kidnapped and held in a cage, and he had even driven his motorcycle through a church window. And then Jason Cook left. There was a recast, but the character only stayed around about another year and a half. Shawn has a plethora of family still in Salem, including his mother and younger sister. In the last five years he’s missed his parents’ break-up and then subsequent reunion, his beloved great grandmother’s funeral, and his mother’s stint in prison. His age group has been lacking a strong presence, and it’s almost unfathomable that Bo and Hope’s son has been gone for this long.

9. Belle Brady Black
Kirsten Storms

Martha Madison

Belle is another missing legacy character. She was onscreen from the day she was born. With the help of some pretty rapid SORASing we saw Belle go from the baby in the middle of a love triangle to a young teenager in her first romantic relationship to a young mother in love with a man who wasn’t her husband. Three actress have portrayed the grown up Belle. The middle one is infamous online for her three week stint. The other two both have a good bit of support from the fans. Kirsten Storms personified the perky teenaged Belle, while Martha Madison portrayed the more adult Belle. Belle floated off into the sunset with Shawn and their daughter Claire five years ago. With John, Marlena, and Brady in the middle of a big family brawl, is there ever a more perfect time to see Belle return?

8. Vivian Alamain - Louise Sorel

During her tenure on the show, there wasn’t much Vivian didn’t do. She’s buried two people alive and was buried alive herself. She had a pretty creepy relationship with her beloved nephew. She had herself implanted with Kate and Victor’s embryos. Vivian had a pretty good run in the 90s and then returned a couple of years ago. During her last stint we found out she had an Australian son. A lot of us are still really unsure what that was about. Currently, she’s living in India as a Bollywood star. We’re even more unsure what that is about. Vivian, like Calliope and Don, is another one of those characters who just plain deserved a better ending. She still has enemies all over Salem, and John is still technically her adopted nephew.

7. Philip Kiriakis - Jay Kenneth Johnson

Philip was a part of the same teen group as Shawn and Belle. The three were part of a longstanding triangle that actually managed to switch gears and become more interesting after a Belle recast. Johnson’s Philip has the trademark Kiriakis dimples. He’s been the villain, the hero, the romantic, and the loser in love. Philip still has both parents in Salem, a brother, nieces and nephews, and cousins. Since he was last in town his mother has divorced Stefano DiMera, and his father has married Maggie Horton. Earlier this year, he lost a child offscreen. We didn’t even get to see him grieve his loss. Philip also has another son out there that we haven’t seen in years. There are so many possibilities for Philip.

6. Carrie Brady Reed - Christie Clark

Carrie has been off and onscreen since she first came to Salem in 1982. In the 90s she was set to be the next big heroine, following in the footsteps of her aunts and stepmother, but that all disappeared when Clark chose to leave. She’s been back twice since then. Most recently she returned as a lawyer who had a thing for Rafe Hernandez. When she left she was pregnant with Austin’s child. As far as we know, she’s still pregnant. Three fifths of Carrie’s parents are still in Salem, along with her grandmother, three of four siblings, and an abundance of aunts and cousins. But what was most referenced in wanting Carrie to return is a chance to see her relationship with her mother revisited.
5. Tony DiMera/Andre DiMera - Thaao Penghlis

Thaao Penghlis has played both Tony DiMera and Tony’s identical cousin Andre. Fans are split on which one they want to see back. We’re not so sure that it matters. Tony and Andre add a unique suave and mysterious presence to Days. Tony had a pretty horrific death four years ago, while Andre died nearly six years ago. Of course, that’s no big deal. It wasn’t the first time either of them had died anyway. Over the last few years, Tony/Andre has missed the reveal of a new DiMera brother, the death of his beloved sister Lexie, and another fake death of Stefano. With a budding power struggle for control of DiMera Enterprises and the return of Kristen, it’s hard to imagine a better time to see one or both of them return.

4. Bo Brady - Peter Reckell

We could go off about this one. Bo Brady has been one of the icons of Days of Our Lives for thirty years. He made up one half of Days’ most notorious supercouple. He was a major part of many of the most famous Days’ scenes. He exited the show last October. For a character like Bo Brady, we expected something huge. Sure, his exit was sweet enough. He gave up his career and life of adventure to help his mother get the treatment she needed for Alzheimer’s. But uh...Caroline came back, and Bo just didn’t. He’s just out there somewhere while his wife and daughter have been left to face the world alone indefinitely. It’s hard enough losing a major fan favorite character. It’s even harder when they don’t get the exit they deserve.

3. Steve Johnson - Stephen Nichols

Speaking of crappy exits, Steve had one of the worst! He actually didn’t even have one. One day he and Kayla were just gone. Kayla has returned, but as is often the case when one half of a couple returns without the other half, Kayla’s character has really been paralyzed by his absence. Steve was the classic bad boy turned good. He started out pretty creepy and menacing, but by the time he died five years later he was happily married with a beautiful baby girl. It was hard not to root for Steve as we learned about his past and his family. The Johnson family scenes are still discussed online often. His return in 2006 happened at a horrible time. Steve and Kayla became the victims of inconsistent writing through multiple regime changes. Not long after Steve and Kayla left Salem in 2009, their daughter was kidnapped by the DiMeras. Steve’s absence and fury were greatly missed. Over the last few years we’ve missed multiple opportunities to see all of the Johnson siblings reunited. Steve and Kayla’s young son has only been seen briefly, but he’s still in Salem. But perhaps most notably, his Sweetness is in Salem.

2. Anna Fredericks DiMera- Leann Hunley

It’s been three years since we last saw Anna. Until last year, we assumed she was still on the run after helping EJ kidnap Sydney, but just last year Carrie talked to her on the phone and everything seemed to be back to normal. Anna has been a fun character ever since she first appeared 31 years ago. Anna has a flair for the overdramatic, and she flawlessly rides the line between villain and heroine. Her rivalries and relationships are what good soap opera is made of. We went decades without seeing her, but she popped back up in 2007 to help with the Brady/DiMera vendetta, and she was finally reunited with Tony. As was mentioned earlier, there are a lot of fans who still want to see her relationship with her daughter Carrie revisited.

1. Jack Deveraux - Matt Ashford

It really shouldn’t come as any surprise that Jack is Daytime Royalty’s most wanted return. It hasn’t even been a year since he died in that elevator shaft, but Jack is no stranger to death. He came back to life after having all of his organs donated, surely he can survive an elevator crash. Jack was a complex character played by a skilled actor. Ashford’s Jack started out as a villain, but over the years we watched as he played out one of the best redemption stories Days has ever done. Several other actors have portrayed Jack, but Ashford is the one most remembered and revered. When Jack died, he left behind a wife, two children, a sister, and two nephews. His awkward relationship with his sister in-law was always interesting to watch. I don’t know if “disappointment” is a strong enough word for what was felt during his last run, and then to have it end the way it did was just frustrating beyond belief for his fans. As Ashford has forcibly come and gone constantly over the last decade, his fan support has not wavered.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

Awesome list. I agree with Jack...boy what a craptastic return he had and then poof before we got a chance to get use to him being on the show the announcement was made that he was fired again. IMHO I think certain characters are fan favorites because of the actors that play them more than the character they portray, but with Jack it might be a good even combo of both.....I think his redemption as Lysie pointed out, still remains IMHO as one of the best redemption storylines on soaps PERIOD, that made many people love the character as we saw him fall for Jennifer while he thought he wasn't deserving of her love.....amazing....what a shame that Days can't look and find something for Jack to do....at this stage I'd take him over Jennifer any day of the week.....I think the wrong person died in the shaft that day.
Offline Profile Goto Top

waterlilly
Member Avatar

I was not surprised that Jack was #1 and I agree, I thought maybe Bo would have been in the second slot. I really enjoyed this though!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

It's nice to see Jack in the #1 spot--I thought he'd at least crack the top 5. And yeah, "disappointment" is putting it mildly when it comes to MA's last ousting."Disgust" and "outrage" come closest, for me. The worse part is, there was so much potential with Jack's return. After being treated like comic relief for far too much of his second run, he returned as a strong, dramatic character (minus the stupid cake fall entrance in his first days back) who was struggling with PTSD and the bitter knowledge that his loved ones had given up on him and moved on without him. We got to see facets of Jack we hadn't seen before or hadn't seen in years, the storyline got some positive press and won a PRISM award, and MA got an Emmy nomination and an episode featuring Jack's breakdown in a snowbound cabin possibly clinched a Best Writing Emmy for the show last year. So, of course, the story got cut short, the incoming regime fired MA, and Jack got killed off again, mainly so the show could revive the Daniel/Jennifer pairing that didn't exactly set the world on fire the first time around. For that alone, I'd rejoice to see TomSell get the boot, though there are many other reasons I think they need to go.

Not surprised by the remaining top 10--and all of them are characters with strong family ties to the canvas and/or memorable previous runs. So why is the show casting/focusing on so many relative newbies?
Offline Profile Goto Top

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

I have to say with the exception of Vivian, I completely agree with this list. While a little surprised at Anna's being #2, Leanne is a great actress who had great chemistry with pretty much everyone---including Josh Taylor! I think it would be wonderful to have both her and Carrie onscreen together---while I love Carrie's relationship with Marlena it would be fabulous to see Anna give advice to Carrie's propensity to stray from Austin. That is, if we could get some writers who were interested in character-developing stories.

I cannot say strongly enough how much I want Days to swap Jennifer for Jack. It's truly amazing how many wonderful and fascinating families came to being in the 1980's on this show. Brady, Kiriakis, DiMera, Johnson all created in one decade. We need more Johnsons on canvas and I was glad to see Stephanie in the top 20.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Really love this top 10! I could think of 10 characters to get rid of and bring these all back right now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

I see Jack definitely made the list :) I love these top ten even if I'm not a big Carrie fan.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Tony! I really want to see him back on the show. I miss his "relationship" with Stefano and would love to see how he reacts to the Dimera family now that they're a bit more tame.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Brewster
Member Avatar

Great list! I agree with all of it.

Offline Profile Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

The fact that Shawn, Belle, and Philip are all in the Top 10 tells me that people obviously feel there's more story to tell there, and I will never forgive the writers for dropping that fabulous Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe quad we were supposed to get back in 2007. Too much chemistry in one story for TPTB to write for, I guess.

Anna/Tony/Carrie also in the Top 10 isn't surprising either. SO much unexplored story there.

And Jack being number one is a no-brainer. The merciless killing of Jack and the insta-reunion of Jennifer/Daniel is one of the most offensive things this show has ever done.

Great list and lots of fun! I really do love these types of things and can't wait to see what's next!
Offline Profile Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

We'll probably do another actor/character feature next, but if you have any suggestions we're happy to hear them!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

If we're going to talk about Philip and triangles - it's not the Shelle triangle he's known for. He was most popular in the triangle with Chloe and Brady - that got the most press and the most audience involvement/reaction. I don't want him back and with Belle. I want him back to work things out with the girl who keeps proving she's the love of his life, the girl he always seems to come back to, where all roads lead for him - Chloe.

Offline Profile Goto Top

supercool74
Member Avatar

Yay! Jack was #1! My all-time favorite character. I cant believe how poorly they treat these beloved characters. I would have Steve as the number 2, but that's okay....number 3 is close enough I suppose. :P The rest I really could take em or leave em, except I do agree with the first part about all those still on the show that should be on more. Doug, Julie, Lucas, Kayla, Justin, and Adrienne. 100% agree.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

Nice list. And nicely done write-ups for each. Thanks for doing this! Now, if only the show would pay attention, lol.

Offline Profile Goto Top

robolynn

Agree completely with the list! And Jack has always been my number 1 fav - would love to have him back with or without Jennifer.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Maggie28wubsEj
Member Avatar

I miss Jack :( He is #1 on my list to come back and JKJ would be #2 on my list.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

Great list. Love jack at #1 but surprised Bo wasn't higher. Maybe because most peoplle think he will be back sooner or later? Love Anna at #2. I would love to see her and Tony back at some point.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Carly
Member Avatar

robolynn
May 27 2013, 01:25 PM
Agree completely with the list! And Jack has always been my number 1 fav - would love to have him back with or without Jennifer.
I totally agree. I think that Jack is a strong enough and intriguing enough character to stand on his own without being tied to Jennifer. (I'm still disappointed that Matt Ashford got written off the show in 2006 just because Missy Reeves decided to leave.)

I'm also happy to see that Vivian made the list. I always thought that Vivian and Kristen had great snarky chemistry. (And I especially enjoyed the Vivian/Susan scenes.) Actually, now that Kristen has returned, this would be a great time to rebuild the DiMera family with the returns of Tony, Anna, and Peter. All the DiMeras could fight for power after EJ ousts Stefano from DiMera Enterprises.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Great list and PERFECT #1!!

Matt Ashford should be on this show....PERIOD!
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Great list. I'd take all 10 and substitute them with 10 that are on screen right now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic