Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
DR Countdown: 20 Most Wanted Returns; Top Ten
Topic Started: May 27 2013, 09:15 AM (5,034 Views)
eyebrowns

I can't believe there's no Celeste! WTF! I don't know what Tanya Boyd's health is like right now, but having her back on canvas in any capacity would be fun. How cool would it be to see her coaching Theo through his developing psychic powers...? lol

I agree with Vivian, Anna and Shawn and Belle! I want these four back so badly it hurts.
Offline Profile Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

px780
May 28 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm not saying he should come back, it's just interesting that people would be open to an Austin-less Carrie.
Not that I'm saying that what you're saying is untrue, but I take Austin's exclusion as meaning nothing more than Carrie being the more popular character of the two. I don't necessarily think it reflects badly upon Carrie/Austin as a couple, or suggests that fans are indifferent to their union or separation.

That's just me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

I'm open to Matthew/Jack returning under TomSell's regime, and I realize that must sound moronic coming from a fan who's watched her favorite actor be fired 4 times from the show, especially since it's no secret that Jack isn't Tomlin's favorite character.

However, I always got the impression that Tomlin's disdain for the character came (at least partially) from the fact that he felt he had to write Jennifer with Jack when the character was on canvas. I mean, Jack has seldom been treated as anything but Jennifer's other half, so logically, a headwriter could assume that having Jack around could be a constraint. For a lot of viewers, "Jack and Jennifer" as a unit was a must, so if a headwriter ever had a different idea (e.g. Jennifer and Daniel, which is still a horrible idea nonetheless), they probably felt they couldn't deliver it as they wanted to at the risk of created a backlash. Anyway, long story short, I think the circumstances are different this time around. More than ever, it's clear that a lot of viewers have issues with the character of Jennifer, and would prefer to see new paths explored if Jack would ever return. More than ever, I think writers who previously felt constrained with the character of Jack can clearly realize they have many options now.

Naaaah... nevermind... I'm delusional. :blulaugh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Baby Jack @ 0:50.

Offline Profile Goto Top

chinkybig

I love Jack, but considering the number of times MA has been fucked / screwed over by the TPTB, if I were MA, I would just give them the middle finger if ever they call me back.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

NocturnalBlondie
May 29 2013, 03:26 PM
I'm open to Matthew/Jack returning under TomSell's regime, and I realize that must sound moronic coming from a fan who's watched her favorite actor be fired 4 times from the show, especially since it's no secret that Jack isn't Tomlin's favorite character.

However, I always got the impression that Tomlin's disdain for the character came (at least partially) from the fact that he felt he had to write Jennifer with Jack when the character was on canvas. I mean, Jack has seldom been treated as anything but Jennifer's other half, so logically, a headwriter could assume that having Jack around could be a constraint. For a lot of viewers, "Jack and Jennifer" as a unit was a must, so if a headwriter ever had a different idea (e.g. Jennifer and Daniel, which is still a horrible idea nonetheless), they probably felt they couldn't deliver it as they wanted to at the risk of created a backlash. Anyway, long story short, I think the circumstances are different this time around. More than ever, it's clear that a lot of viewers have issues with the character of Jennifer, and would prefer to see new paths explored if Jack would ever return. More than ever, I think writers who previously felt constrained with the character of Jack can clearly realize they have many options now.

Yeah, I think you are kind of delusional! :)

We pretty much have the evidence on screen about how Tomlin treats the vets. If he were made to write for Jack, we'd probably get some version of what he's done to:
-- John, who has been dumbed down, made to say and do outrageously insulting things that make a mockery of him and his past; and turned so OOC that he's unrecognizable;
-- Lucas, who has to mostly stand by and watch his kids have father-child moments with another man, doesn't get his own story, and who is only trotted out to be the "voice of the audience" every now and then (and who was on contract for a few months, then dropped to recurring);
-- Marlena, who has a couple of great scenes, but is mostly around to prop up other people in what should be a major story for her; or
-- Jennifer (see John above).

Tomlin does not like the vets, especially any vet who has been a lead character and/or a part of a supercouple. And when you read some quotes of his, it sounds like he's ageist toward any man (and most women) over 50. He may not be the only one at Days who is like this, but he's a primary perpetrator. That's why, as much as I would like to see MA/Jack return, I hesitate to want to subject him (and us) to this kind of treatment.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

annie21
May 30 2013, 08:04 AM
NocturnalBlondie

We pretty much have the evidence on screen about how Tomlin treats the vets. If he were made to write for Jack, we'd probably get some version of what he's done to:
-- John, who has been dumbed down, made to say and do outrageously insulting things that make a mockery of him and his past; and turned so OOC that he's unrecognizable;
-- Lucas, who has to mostly stand by and watch his kids have father-child moments with another man, doesn't get his own story, and who is only trotted out to be the "voice of the audience" every now and then (and who was on contract for a few months, then dropped to recurring);
-- Marlena, who has a couple of great scenes, but is mostly around to prop up other people in what should be a major story for her; or

Tomlin does not like the vets, especially any vet who has been a lead character and/or a part of a supercouple. And when you read some quotes of his, it sounds like he's ageist toward any man (and most women) over 50. He may not be the only one at Days who is like this, but he's a primary perpetrator. That's why, as much as I would like to see MA/Jack return, I hesitate to want to subject him (and us) to this kind of treatment.

That why I did not post in this thread who I wanted because I still waiting to better writing and better treatment to show vets.btw I dot not like Tomlin version of Kate of making Chloe hooker and we saw how Chloe was written when she was few months this year
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

If Jack were to come back...I think that some would quickly flip around to "and now they can fix Jennifer and have them get back together." Or at the very least I think people would expect some kind of emotional scenes between them, and I doubt that would happen. Which is to say, I think they'd ultimately still be constrained on some level were Jack to come back while Jennifer is on canvas, and it would still be disappointing for viewers.

He'd probably be a Lucas.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tylerbo20

well hopefully the new writer(s) whoever they may be...can write for the vets. and bring back Vivian/Bill/Laura/Peter/Tony with them
Offline Profile Goto Top

tylerbo20

ps vivian could come back and kill maggie and i wouldnt even care
Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

annie21
May 30 2013, 08:04 AM
NocturnalBlondie

This. I want TomSell gone before MA or any other cherished vet returns. I trust this regime as far as I can throw a grand piano when it comes to writing for longtime characters whom they didn't create or who aren't their particular pets. Ironic that Tomlin in particular is such an ageist asshat since he's older than all the actors he fired when he came back on board last year.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Carly
Member Avatar

I think Jack could have a really great storyline that has nothing to do with Jennifer. Nick is currently suffering from PTSD due to what happened to him in prison as well as what happened on Smith Island. Jack would be the perfect person to counsel Nick and to help Nick deal with his fears and emotions. (Jack was tortured by terrorists, and Nick was beaten and raped in prison, so both characters were trapped in a situation of repeated abuse.) Adrienne could also work with her brother Jack to help Nick because Adrienne was sexually abused by her father, and she blocked out the memory for a while before finally dealing with it. So, Adrienne could help Nick to see himself as a "survivor" rather than as a "shattered person. "

And as was previously mentioned, Kayla could also work to help Nick because she was once raped. And there would be some intriguing and dramatic awkwardness between Kayla and Jack because Jack was the one who raped Kayla. But Jack and Kayla could try to work through those issues in order to help Nick.

Or Jack could return to work at the Spectator, and Abigail could work as a part-time reporter at the newspaper. (DAYS probably doesn't have the budget to rebuild the Spectator newsroom, but DAYS could just build a small set for Jack's office or a small back area of the newsroom.) Heck, JJ could get a job as a freelance photographer, and Jack, JJ, and Abigail could all investigate stories together! This would be my DREAM storyline for Jack!
Offline Profile Goto Top

livelikemusic
Member Avatar

I really don't want Jack to return. He last return was annoying and I've never been a big fan of Matthew Ashford. His recasts were better!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

Carly
May 30 2013, 06:32 PM
I think Jack could have a really great storyline that has nothing to do with Jennifer. Nick is currently suffering from PTSD due to what happened to him in prison as well as what happened on Smith Island. Jack would be the perfect person to counsel Nick and to help Nick deal with his fears and emotions. (Jack was tortured by terrorists, and Nick was beaten and raped in prison, so both characters were trapped in a situation of repeated abuse.) Adrienne could also work with her brother Jack to help Nick because Adrienne was sexually abused by her father, and she blocked out the memory for a while before finally dealing with it. So, Adrienne could help Nick to see himself as a "survivor" rather than as a "shattered person. "

And as was previously mentioned, Kayla could also work to help Nick because she was once raped. And there would be some intriguing and dramatic awkwardness between Kayla and Jack because Jack was the one who raped Kayla. But Jack and Kayla could try to work through those issues in order to help Nick.

Or Jack could return to work at the Spectator, and Abigail could work as a part-time reporter at the newspaper. (DAYS probably doesn't have the budget to rebuild the Spectator newsroom, but DAYS could just build a small set for Jack's office or a small back area of the newsroom.) Heck, JJ could get a job as a freelance photographer, and Jack, JJ, and Abigail could all investigate stories together! This would be my DREAM storyline for Jack!
Yes, to a Deveraux newspaper dynasty, like the Lords on OLTL! Jack the editor, Abigail the journalist, JJ the ace photographer--maybe a few other family members could come aboard, like Justin and Adrienne's other sons. Or Stephanie could return and become a new features writer or something. And since the investigative fire in Jen-Jen's belly has apparently burned out, she can just stay in her pencil-pushing PR position at the hospital, doing a mediocre job and having petty disputes with Anne. OTOH, if there is anything left of the Miss Horton of old, maybe being left out in the cold while her son, daughter, and (ex)husband pursue careers in journalism could reawaken her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jb1183

I had no doubt Jack would be number one. And I would love to see Jack back. Matt Ashford is one of the most talented actors that has ever been on the show, and TPTB are fools for jerking him around so much over the years.

But as others have said, I don't trust these writers to do right by Jack. In his last return, Jennifer treated him like he was dirt on the bottom of her shoe. I don't want Jack brought back just to be thrown under the bus for Dannifer or to be Jen-Jen's whipping boy again.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic