Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tyler Perry's The Haves and the Have Nots; New nighttime soap on OWN!
Topic Started: May 29 2013, 08:33 PM (617 Views)
psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

So I know that to some, Tyler Perry gives off a bad vibe, but I've always enjoyed his work-- at least the movies. Sure, he's preachy, but I find it entertaining and there's just something comforting about the messages of faith in his work.

Anyway, did anyone catch the premier of his new show on OWN, The Haves and the Have Nots? I was dying to watch it because it looked like just the soapy goodness I'd been longing for. Tika Sumpter and Eva Tamargo are among the cast members and so far, it seems to be off to a really good start. It's set up to where it has a lot of potential. I'm interested to see where it all goes!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nightfan

I saw a promo for that and saw Oprah pipe up about how great Tyler Perry is, basically, and thought she was just plugging yet another TBS sitcom of his. I should watch TV not so absentmindedly. This sounds interesting. And it's been a long time since we've seen Eva Temargo in anything. That should be fun.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

I was enthusiastic about Tyler Perry's new nighttime soap, however, it's turned out to be a boring disappointment. :yawnz:
Edited by bellajewel, Jun 15 2013, 04:16 PM.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

Classic
Jun 15 2013, 04:14 PM
I was enthusiastic about Tyler Perry's new nighttime soap, however, it's turned out to be a boring disappointment. :yawnz:
I don't think I'm completely disappointed, but I see what you're saying. Each episode feels like one episode of a daytime soap-- meaning that with each episode, I feel like there hasn't even been a week's worth of plot yet. Very slow moving and repetitive conversations. The scenes are WAY too long and many of them seem pointless.

But at the core, I do enjoy Tika Sumpter's character. She's keeping it interesting enough for me to keep watching.

peaches179

Classic

IA. The show is a real snoozefest.

bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

psychofan
Jun 15 2013, 04:37 PM
Classic
I don't think I'm completely disappointed, but I see what you're saying. Each episode feels like one episode of a daytime soap-- meaning that with each episode, I feel like there hasn't even been a week's worth of plot yet. Very slow moving and repetitive conversations. The scenes are WAY too long and many of them seem pointless.

But at the core, I do enjoy Tika Sumpter's character. She's keeping it interesting enough for me to keep watching.
Tika's character is quite a piece of work, however she keeps me entertained although I get bored with some of the segments of the show.

EDIT: Tonight is the first time I've really enjoyed the show. It had a very emotional scene, with the prayer. I was teary-eyed.
I'm gonna continue watching. The show seems to be getting better.
Edited by bellajewel, Jun 18 2013, 08:45 PM.

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
Brenda: "Let the fireworks begin." Sonny: "With you and me, Brenda, it's guaranteed."

I have watched it since day one and I have to say I'm very disappointed.The only reason I have watch it this long is because I have the cable box in my room and my little brother begs me to watch it. Show is so very boring.
Edited by Sonny_BrendaFan, Jun 18 2013, 10:15 PM.

Fernita73
Member Avatar

I have enjoyed the show. I also enjoyed the season finale (9/3/13) and anxious for the next season which will start in January 2014. They have left a few cliffhangers to ponder over and they were surprising cliffhangers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply